Thankyou for the advice Peter, makes sense. I have a JB $100 voucher as well which is why I have been looking there.

With extended warranty, maybe this is all subjective but what is appropriate? I read a lot about people's bad experiences in recent years with Samsung sets so am a bit cautious. I get an additional 1 year warranty for purchasing on my Amex, so would 1 year (manufacturer's) + 1 year be enough?

• Replies 6.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It is subjective. IMO if your set fails then extended warranties (and warranties for that matter) provide fairly good cover. If you have some sort of semi issue then it can (sometimes) get difficult. Personally I recommend ext-warranties on TV simply because they can be a pain/costly to transport if you need to get them repaired. That said ext-warranties are generally cash cows for stores - I suspect they can often make more money on a EW than on selling the TV itself. That's because it usually costs around 10% to get one but no where near 10% of sets fail.

Note AFAICT most sets will usually die in the manufacturer warranty period (and then usually within days of purchasing). So if a TVs going well after 1 year then odds are its going to stay that way for another five to ten.

So personally I'd probably go for three years of warranty all up. That costs about 5% of the purchase price and (for me) is a nice medium point of risk versus cost. That said two years warranty might be fine for you.

The AMEX insurance is neat however JBHiFi will charge you about $75 to use it to buy this TV. That's probably getting close to the cost of one years EW anyway so if you're going to get some other ext warranty (eg 3 or more years) then it might be better to just get it and not mix in the AMEX one as well.

PS Might be obvious but I wouldn't pull out the voucher until the deals done and you're paying.

Regards

Peter Gillespie

Edited by pgdownload

So what other tips would you offer for negotiation other than the 'online is cheaper' card? Only ones I could think of would be:

"I can pay cash"

"I am ready to buy today"

"I will purchase extended warranty"

any other golden nuggets? ;)

Ask about the price of the extended warranty before you haggle the price of the TV, that way that cant up the warranty price to make up for a cheap price on the TV.

Don't get a surge protector.

Regards

Peter Gillespie

Peter, that's rather silly advice IMO. Surge protection is advised for all electrical equipment, especially PC's, Hi Fi and TV's. You can get quite cheap ones that have a low clamping voltage that work well... Crest comes to mind. No need to pay hundreds though...

JSmith :ninja:

Hello,

I am looking to buy a Samsung 55ES8000 in the next few weeks and started shopping around on the weekend. Went into JB (TV ticketed @ $3,996) who said that they would not match any 'online store's' (BBB, Cable Connection etc.) price; only those stores with shopfronts (good guys, bing lee etc.) would be considered.

Is this other peoples' experience as well?

And what would people suggest is the best way to negotiate given this type of approach with online obviously a fair bit cheaper (BBB around $3,400). Have people bought online/ how is extended warranty etc. negotiated this way?

Any advice is appreciated :)

Mate here is a link to 2nd's World where they have a brand new one for $3645, which should also be their in-store price.

If you can prove that an online price (Eljo for $3399) is for a brand new model and not a factory second they should really match it.

You can also see if someone here or elsewhere online can provide you with a copy of a receipt showing a cheaper price from one of their stores or major competitors.

If they won't come to the party keep your $100 voucher for movies etc., and go elsewhere. I find Bing Lee, The Good Guys and strangely some Myer stores are the best for haggling and price matching.

Best of luck.

JSmith :ninja:

Surge protection is advised for all electrical equipment, especially PC's, Hi Fi and TV's.
Its not an area I'm particularly conversant with so I'm happy to let others suggest otherwise.

Personally, I've never needed a surge board (no idea how common TVs blowing up is but I can't imagine its many). Modern switchboards can handle many types of surge I believe and I'm not sure a any (cheap) surge board is going to protect from a lightning strike. Most boards come with insurance, but I'd suspect they only kick in after you've used your house insurance first. End of the day you could pay around $100 as 'surge insurance' or save the money and in the unlikely event of it happening pay the excess on the home insurance to get the TV replaced.

If you can prove that an online price is for a brand new model and not a factory second they should really match it.
Why? Its understandable B&M stores have tried to match online prices, but its just not sustainable - two very different business models with very different operating costs.

Regards

Peter Gillespie

• 2 years later...

• 3 weeks later...