Confirmed Pioneer Kuro 8th Gen Rrp And Best Price Thread.

hey the links not working but im interested in those settings, cheers clarky

hey clarky, I am a bit of a retard with the linking but the address is http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=544315

just look at the first post, and at the bottom are a bunch of links to text files that include one that is for 8G shop demos. I used that one and it worked really well. I'd like to have fiddled some more but I didn't want to make the pretty LCDs look too bad :lol:

You have to register with the site to download the text files, but that only takes a couple of minutes.

• Replies 343
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I believe some component inputs share same name as HDMI and you must set that particular input to be either 'HDMI' or 'Component'. I suspect this may be the issue. (I was reading a Kuro manual today)

yeah i thought that might have been the problem too i.e. only four usable inputs and you have to label them, right? Doubt pioneer would send a display with faulty connectors. don't set it in stone that the connectors were broke, is what i am trying to say. probably a much more logical explanation as homer said.

After this calibration, the difference in the black level and contrast was staggering. Not only did my jaw hit the floor, the salesman also seemed very impressed by the inky blacks, which on the Morrissey disc are just everywhere, and the colours popped, the rich blues and reds of the gig lighting blending beautifully into the abyss of black that was the crowd shots. And this wasn't even upscaled!!! In fact, the Kuros were right next to a 50-inch Samsung (or maybe Sony) LCD playing a Blu-ray demo at 1080p, and I have to say that the Kuro ABSOLUTELY DESTROYED the other set in terms of black level and colour quality. The comments of the salesman when i pointed this out were priceless - "There really isn't that much difference between DVD and blu-ray, is there?".

If you read the hundreds of pages of the UK forum, it is recommended that you let the Pio do ALL the upscaling and interlacing, and should set DVD players to 576i (not p) to get the best picture. Upscaling DVD players, unless they are high end players, will likely do a worse job than the TV will.

This is the dilemna i'm in at the moment. Which DVD to buy to get the absolute best out of the 508XDA

Bob

If you read the hundreds of pages of the UK forum, it is recommended that you let the Pio do ALL the upscaling and interlacing, and should set DVD players to 576i (not p) to get the best picture. Upscaling DVD players, unless they are high end players, will likely do a worse job than the TV will.

This is the dilemna i'm in at the moment. Which DVD to buy to get the absolute best out of the 508XDA

Bob

But can the Pio (or any HDTV) upscale from a DVD player using component, or does it need a HDMI signal to allow it to upscale?

But can the Pio (or any HDTV) upscale from a DVD player using component, or does it need a HDMI signal to allow it to upscale?

Any HDTV will upscale, if necessary, to the native resolution of the panel.

So, for DVD, the Pio will upscale from 576 to 768, and de-interlace, if set to 576i

bob

Any HDTV will upscale, if necessary, to the native resolution of the panel.

So, for DVD, the Pio will upscale from 576 to 768, and de-interlace, if set to 576i

bob

Sorry to repeat the question, but will it do it through component (or S-Video or composite?) or just through HDMI.

Thanks.

If a Playstation 3's upscaling for DVDs was set to anything but "Off", would this interfer with how the Pioneer Kuro upscales? I usually have the PS3's upscale setting to "Full".

By the way, this TV and others like it don't have geometry issues, right? Hope not. My Sammy CRT does - it is especially noticeable when playing the PS2 version of MK:Armageddon via Component, even with the game's widescreen and progressive settings both on.

By the way, this TV and others like it don't have geometry issues, right?

Right - all Plasma, LCD, DLP based products have fixed pixels for 'perfect' geometry. CRTs are analog and require calibration via magnets to change the light beam and this won't be perfect in retail products.

The new panasonic 42" truehd model is out, has anyone seen it side by side with the Pio 42". That would make an interesting comparison.

Where is it out? I thought the Pana was still a few weeks away.

My guess is that the Kuro 42" will have noticably better contrast, deeper blacks and possibly give less motion judder with 24p - but that the Pana will THRASH it for picture-detail with HD.

Such a shame that the Kuro 42" is only 1024x768 pixels. If it were at least 1280x720 or 1366x768, that would've been great.

Where is it out? I thought the Pana was still a few weeks away.

My guess is that the Kuro 42" will have noticably better contrast, deeper blacks and possibly give less motion judder with 24p - but that the Pana will THRASH it for picture-detail with HD.

Such a shame that the Kuro 42" is only 1024x768 pixels. If it were at least 1280x720 or 1366x768, that would've been great.

It was at JB DFO in Melbourne....

I agree there is a LX version of the 42" Pio out in the states but we don't get it here which is a shame as I have quite a close seating distance and it would have been PERFECT if money was no object.

My best price so far was from JB Macgregor in Brissie, I told him Myer offer $4680 ($5199- aforementioned 10% off) He said, thats tight for a new model, my cost price is $4580 and offered me $4600. He was a nice guy but there are cheaper prices being floated, so i am still waiting, has anyone got any better in Bris confirmed?

The new panasonic 42" truehd model is out, has anyone seen it side by side with the Pio 42". That would make an interesting comparison.

I saw the 42" panny yesterday- almost perfect fill factor. Hard to beleive it was a plasma

My best price so far was from JB Macgregor in Brissie, I told him Myer offer $4680 ($5199- aforementioned 10% off) He said, thats tight for a new model, my cost price is $4580 and offered me $4600. He was a nice guy but there are cheaper prices being floated, so i am still waiting, has anyone got any better in Bris confirmed?

$4600 is a pretty good price. It's only $200 or about 4.5% more than the lowest price I've seen claimed. If you want the TV now, why sweat over less than five percent? I don't know what people's time is worth but it always amazes me how much of it they use trying to shave 2-4 percent off the price of even a "small ticket" item, let alone a pretty expensive Plasma panel.

Too right. if you want the panel. 4600 is a good prrice. If you don't want to pay that, buy a Panasonic.

I agree, if you are serious and want the TV then buy it when a good price is given.

It's been stated already that $4400 is very hard to get and most places wont do it.

I read on another thread of somebody holding of on getting a Panasonic because he wanted it $20 cheaper than the stores cheapest price.

He read that somebody got it cheaper so for $20 he held off.

Trust me it's a bloody fantastic TV and at $4600 that's cheap.

Edited by chrissyoscar
I agree, if you are serious and want the TV then buy it when a good price is given.

It's been stated already that $4400 is very hard to get and most places wont do it.

I read on another thread of somebody holding of on getting a Panasonic because he wanted it $20 cheaper than the stores cheapest price.

He read that somebody got it cheaper so for $20 he held off.

Trust me it's a bloody fantastic TV and at $4600 that's cheap.

Yes but there are those who enjoy the thrill of the chase :D

Gentlemen, start your engines! As of tomorrow morning the Pioneer LX series plasmas will be available for purchase AND delivery! I don't have any further info at this time but will have more Monday morning.

PDP-LX508 RRP $7999

PDP-LX608 RRP $11,999

Edited by Nightbreed
Gentlemen, start your engines! As of tomorrow morning the Pioneer LX series plasmas will be available for purchase AND delivery!

PDP-LX508 RRP $7999

PDP-LX608 RRP $11,999

Interesting. Source?

Also, is there anywhere that has them setup for viewing?

Im happy with my price :P

The original GB should've beat yr $4300 flashman. I got sick of waiting.

GruG whats Happened?

Awaiting pricing, thanks for your concern.

Source = Pioneer

They should start to show up in stores within the week i hope.

Would have expected their web site to be showing the units if this was the case together with pics,specs

cheers laurie

Gentlemen, start your engines! As of tomorrow morning the Pioneer LX series plasmas will be available for purchase AND delivery! I don't have any further info at this time but will have more Monday morning.

PDP-LX508 RRP $7999

PDP-LX608 RRP $11,999

So if we look at the 20 percent or so reduction in the RRP as the street price for the 508XD, then we're looking at:

PDP-LX508 $6400-6500 (about $2k more than the equivalent Panasonic street price)

PDP-LX608 $9600-9800 (ditto - for the 58" HD Panasonic street price)

????????

BTW, RRPs are really a crock, aren't they?

Edited by brumby

those LX price of 6400 and 9600 is still way too high... Assuming same level of discount that flashman offered (24.5%) for 508XDA, this should translate to around $6040 for LX508 and $9060 for LX608...

Edited by ben1680
those LX price of 6400 and 9600 is still way too high... Assuming same level of discount that flashman offered (24.5%) for 508XDA, this should translate to around $6040 for LX508 and $9060 for LX608...

That $4300 price is a "oncer" on here. The price most people seem to be getting on the 508XD is $4600-4800. A 20 percent reduction on the 508XD RRP of $5699 is $4560

if the price is at 6.5K i'll be over the moon

Prepare for Countdown...

Edited by HomerJ