Hitachi Website lists the P50X01 as a 1920x1080i Full HD panel. I thought all Full HD panels are 1080p???

P50X01

This is the issue I posted on a couple of days ago (Hitachi Plasma 50 1080 ) and the reason for the price drop and heavy discounting. Watch this space as this is likely to result in a HUGE sh!t fight for Hitachi as HN and BL advertisements have incorrectly referred to this product as 1080p... If I bought this a couple of months ago for $5,499 thinking it was 1080p, I'd be bl@@dy p!ssed off. :angry2:

Edited by hd_junkie
  • Replies 791
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is the issue I posted on a couple of days ago () and the reason for the price drop and heavy discounting. Watch this space as this is likely to result in a HUGE sh!t fight for Hitachi as HN and BL advertisements have incorrectly referred to this product as 1080p... If I bought this already I'd be pretty bl@@dy p!ssed off. :angry2:

We had this debate near the beginning of the thread when this panel began to become available. It will accept an input of 1080p at either 24, 50 or 60 hz. The panel has a resolution of 1920x1080 pixels, so it can display this 1080p input without rescaling. As such it would seem to qualify for the 'Full HD' label. As far as I'm aware Hitachi have never actually claimed that it's a 1080p panel (although retailers may have). Some of this confusion is obviously down to the fact that they're using an ALIS panel, which works slightly differently to other plasma panels. If Hitachi had been upfront about that fact, this problem may well never have arisen. (I should note that I don't think we confirmed 100% that it was an ALIS panel, but the change to 1080i specs and other Hitachi webpages indicate that it is).

Until that qualificatory 'i' on the product page, the panel was only listed as having a resolution of '1920x1080' and the downloadable product brochure calls it a 'Full HD' panel - no reference to 1080p. Given that Full HD is a marketing term with no actual rules about what it means, there doesn't seem to be any reason why they can't call it Full HD. If people are happy with the picture quality then I'm not sure what they have to complain about - it's not like you're missing out on something in the picture by having it displayed interlaced rather than progressive - it's still 1920x1080 pixels of picture, from a 1080 source (if that's what you're using).

Edit: damn, Lyle beat me to it, and so much more succinctly, too.

Edited by jakes

Only way I knew it was not 1080P was through this forum. If I had been seriously about to buy one of these then maybe would have noticed the distinction it by reading through the product specs. Would be mighty pissed off if I had bought it without realising - whether the difference is noticable or not would not have mattered in the short term.

From the specs/ manual

Video Formats

Video signal: PAL, SECAM, NTSC3.58, NTSC4.43, PAL60, N-PAL, M-PAL

Component signal: 480i/p, 576i/p, 720p(50/60), 1080i(50/60), 1080p (50/60/24)

HDMI signal (video mode): 480i/p, 576i/p, 720p(50/60), 1080i(50/60), 1080p (50/60/24), VGA

Analogue RGB signal : VGA-SXGA (fH:30 to 64kHz, fV:60Hz to 70Hz)

It clearly states 1080P

From the specs/ manual

Video Formats

Video signal: PAL, SECAM, NTSC3.58, NTSC4.43, PAL60, N-PAL, M-PAL

Component signal: 480i/p, 576i/p, 720p(50/60), 1080i(50/60), 1080p (50/60/24)

HDMI signal (video mode): 480i/p, 576i/p, 720p(50/60), 1080i(50/60), 1080p (50/60/24), VGA

Analogue RGB signal : VGA-SXGA (fH:30 to 64kHz, fV:60Hz to 70Hz)

It clearly states 1080P

Yes, but that's just on the input signals that it will accept. Plenty of 1366x768 displays will also accept 1080p, but that doesn't make them 1080p displays.

ALiS Plasmas’s are not really interlaced like a CRT can be. They can’t display 1080i natively like a CRT, they must deinterlace to 1080p just like any normal 1080p display. They then update alternate lines on the panel in an interlaced fashion, but do updates twice as often as a normal progressive panel would.

The net result is that in any given time period the ALiS panel will have updated 1920x1080 pixels just as often as a normal 1080p panel.

The possible down side of this system is a loss of vertical resolution with horizontal motion, but the potential up side is smoother horizontal motion.

How well The Hitachi’s work in practice, I’ll leave up to the viewer to decide.

When it comes to displays, let your eyes be the judge of what works and what doesn’t, forget about specifications.

The Hitachi is just as much “Full HD” as any other 1920x1080 display.

The ultimate test is to connect a PC and display a 1920x1080 resolution test pattern.

I went to Hitachi website when this model was 1st shown few months back it was $5999 and 1080p on Hitachi website.

Now HItachi has changed it to 1080i $4399.

Therefore if someone get it for 3.5K, is actually NOT CHEAP! LOL.

I'm pretty sure those people who are aware of this and paid like 5K for it will get a rebate from Hitachi?

I went to Hitachi website when this model was 1st shown few months back it was $5999 and 1080p on Hitachi website.

I'm pretty sure those people who are aware of this and paid like 5K for it will get a rebate from Hitachi?

Read my above post and you will see that the Hitach i is NOT a true 1080i display. It works just like a 1080p display and is "Full HD".

Other Plasma’s that are commonly referred to as “1080i” are only 1366x768p, and not "Full HD" 1920x1080 which is required for full display of 1080i.

I don’t think its worth more then $3.5k, but not because of any resolution deficiency, but because it's black level is poor.

Now that I have see the new Panasonic 42" and 50" 1080p models, I am even less impressed with them. Black levels are nothing short of pathetic and possibly worse then the Hitachi

From what I have seen so far, the new 1080p models are a big step backwards from the 768p models.

Maybe Samsung can pull a rabbit out of the hat and provide a 1080p model with BETTER blacks then there already very good 768p models.

Read my above post and you will see that the Hitach i is NOT a true 1080i display. It works just like a 1080p display and is "Full HD".

Other Plasma’s that are commonly referred to as “1080i” are only 1366x768p, and not "Full HD" 1920x1080 which is required for full display of 1080i.

I don’t think its worth more then $3.5k, but not because of any resolution deficiency, but because it's black level is poor.

Now that I have see the new Panasonic 42" and 50" 1080p models, I am even less impressed with them. Black levels are nothing short of pathetic and possibly worse then the Hitachi

From what I have seen so far, the new 1080p models are a big step backwards from the 768p models.

Maybe Samsung can pull a rabbit out of the hat and provide a 1080p model with BETTER blacks then there already very good 768p models.

IMHO you don't deserve a colour TV stick to B/W mate :wacko:

Yeah they sure did change the infos on their site. Hmm very bad form of Hitachi and false advertising

now I am very confused. I had pretty much made up my mind that the panasonic 1080 was better than the hitachi 1080 but I was waiting for the samsung p9 to compare it with. Today i was at jb warringah mall and they had all these models side by side runing them with bluray demo, so forget the hitachi just too soft (tempting price at $3470 though) then I was trying to compare the p9 & pana but it was hard to decide. I was probably leaning towards the p9, but then I noticed on the same wall they also had the new kuro 508 running & it was incredible without a doubt sharper, blacker, more depth on the picture, just better pq in every way with its 760 somthing resolution compared with all the other 1080 models, anyway I dont know what to do now as it is very expensive for 760 res but the picture is fantastic

Edited by gonzo32
  • 3 weeks later...

Where is everybody? No posts since October? For your information HN at Chatswood are featuring the Hitachi 50" at their entry..well set up and all alone and with the Hitachi loop it looks great... Worth a look even though they've acknowledged the muddle re 1080P and the ALISp panel confusion. Might be an opportunity for a really great price.

Denzil

Nahhh probably not............But the Tv's have not been getting very good reviews. And if you bought one early on then you would have to be PISSED about the HUGE price drop

Edited by creamop66
Nahhh probably not............But the Tv's have not been getting very good reviews. And if you bought one early on then you would have to be PISSED about the HUGE price drop
Yes, my mate in the office has bought one. But he got it at a very good price. I'm not pointing any of this stuff out to him. He is happy and that's all that matters. :)
Hitachi's response to Smarthouse article Retail Sparks Fly over Hitachi Full HD claims... :)

http://www.connectedaustralia.com/breaking...ws_item_ID=3010

I remember seeing Hitachi advertising this model as 1080p when it 1st show it on their website. Only recently they changed it to 1080i.

What are they doing!?

Also if you go to asia.cnet.com , they are saying this Hitachi model is a 1080p, either Hitachi is so desperate and telling fibs about their products to everyone they are dealing with?

I remember seeing Hitachi advertising this model as 1080p when it 1st show it on their website. Only recently they changed it to 1080i.

What are they doing!?

Also if you go to asia.cnet.com , they are saying this Hitachi model is a 1080p, either Hitachi is so desperate and telling fibs about their products to everyone they are dealing with?

This is the link to cnet - http://asia.cnet.com/reviews/home_av/tvs/0...2185424p,00.htm

All they state is that it is full HD and accepts 1080P. Where is the problem.

Personally I think it is a storm in a tea cup and a little too much mass debating about nothing. The Hitachi does accept 1080p and 24fps, however outputs in 19020 x 1080i due to its inherent ALIS screen, which the cnet article explains. So nothing is missing from the picture, it is full HD spec.

As Owen has posted - see link. http://www.dtvforum.info/index.php?showtopic=55795

Other than hollywood movies that are shot in P, interlaced gives you a better picture and is definately better for fast motion and sport.

Channel 10 are advertising the channel as the only true HD chanel. Why are they not being crucified???

people should look at the Hitachi PQ and compare it to the pany or samsung PQ and decide from there.

This is the link to cnet - http://asia.cnet.com/reviews/home_av/tvs/0...2185424p,00.htm

All they state is that it is full HD and accepts 1080P. Where is the problem..

But why Hitachi recently decided to changed it on their website from 1080p TV to 1080i TV then.

Since it is not a 1080p tv and many people buying it will think it is a 1080p TV.

I wonder at Hitachi singapore website they are showing it as a 1080p tv or a 1080i tv?

If you take tosiba HD-DVD player. Their lower range is a 1080i model (selling for $499) and their next model up HD-DVD player is a 1080p player.

I guess it is important for manufacturers to differientiate between the two.

If you take tosiba HD-DVD player. Their lower range is a 1080i model (selling for $499) and their next model up HD-DVD player is a 1080p player.

I guess it is important for manufacturers to differientiate between the two.

Erh probably a thing called profit, due to people thinking that 1080P is inherently better without looking at PQ for themselves.

Why not get upset at Sony then? They advertise their HD Cameras as FULL HD 1080 even though they record at 1440 x 1080. It's not Hitachi's fault.

There's obviously no set standard of what FULL HD really is other than it's 1080 vertical lines.

ummm ok, long time lurker first time poster.

Firstly nice job on the posts people... way over my head, but still giving me valuable knowledge.

I've been looking at these two panels for a while and I can't make up my mind on which one to buy.

Firstly, I've been quoted $3100 for the Hitachi and 3400 for the Pana.

I really like the look of the Hitachi - a lot classier than the Pana imo

But I'm unsure on this i v's p thing.

I've read the thread (and went cross eyed from it!) and from what I can gather even though the pana is a true 'p' screen the Hitachi is capable of displaying movies in p as it's 1920x1280 (or what ever the rate is) and has a 24ghz (or whatever) refreshing rate (or whatever) :)

I'm wanting to hook up a ps3 and watch bluray to whichever screen I buy, but is my deuction above correct? Will I be watching bluray/playing games etc in the best possible picture if I buy the Hitachi?

Will i v's p make a difference in watching fta?

Also, how do I check the blacks? (I know, dumb question) but shoud I be doing it a certain way?

Cheers fellas.

kakoii

kakoii,

My opinon has always been this screen (50 inch Hitachi) was CRAP.

There have been numorous complaint from installers claiming they couldn't get a decint picture from it.

And know we find out that it NOT a FULL HD panel.

To test for black you need to either turn the lights off or cup your hand over the black area to reduce the light.

Go with the Panasonic. Have you checked out the NEW Samsung?? P9 series.

G'day all

I took my Hitachi back to HN on 19/10 and swapped it for the Pana. Not because I was unhappy with the Hitachi picture but because I hadn't got what I thought I had paid for. HN gave me a refund no probs.

Picked the Pana up for 4300 at the time but then saw it advertised at Retravision for 3999 2 weeks later and took the add to HN and got a 330 credit (because of their 110% price guarentee) meaning I got it for 3970 after all that.

Gotta be happy with that.

kakoii,

My opinon has always been this screen (50 inch Hitachi) was CRAP.

There have been numorous complaint from installers claiming they couldn't get a decint picture from it.

And know we find out that it NOT a FULL HD panel.

To test for black you need to either turn the lights off or cup your hand over the black area to reduce the light.

Go with the Panasonic. Have you checked out the NEW Samsung?? P9 series.

Hey Creampie, thaks for the answer.

I've just discovered the GB and I'm going all out on that with the lx50

cheers!

G'day all

I took my Hitachi back to HN on 19/10 and swapped it for the Pana. Not because I was unhappy with the Hitachi picture but because I hadn't got what I thought I had paid for. HN gave me a refund no probs.

Picked the Pana up for 4300 at the time but then saw it advertised at Retravision for 3999 2 weeks later and took the add to HN and got a 330 credit (because of their 110% price guarentee) meaning I got it for 3970 after all that.

NUmbat..I'd be interested to know of what differences you saw between the Hitachi and the Pana..Picture quality that is. You've had both in your home..a unique experience.

denzil1

As I don't yet have a Blu ray player (or any other 1080p device) I couldn't really say I noticed any differences in Picture quality. As I said that wasn't my reason for returning it. I am not a tech person but perhaps the only thing I noticed would be some slight colour flaring (don't know if that is the correct term or not) on some of the brightly constructed ads. They both handled everything I threw at them (Upscaling DVD player, HD PVR etc)

I was possibly thinking about getting this if I couldn't afford a PDP508XDA. But if these negative comments are true, about its picture quality and all, then I might get a Panasonic instead - the 50" Z700A model (again, if I cannot afford a Kuro).

G'day all

I just pushed HN on the issue, and they weren't prepared to give me a refund, but are prepared to do me a straight return and swap, the Hitachi for the Pana. Paid $3599 for the Hitachi. Now all I have to do is wait a week for more stock to come in. I also received a call (well my wife did) from someone at Hitachi, asking if we were happy with the panel. Has anyone else heard from Steve at Hitachi in Sydney? I haven't spoken to him yet, my wife gave him my office number but he hasn't called yet.

I just pushed HN on the issue, and they weren't prepared to give me a refund, but are prepared to do me a straight return and swap, the Hitachi for the Pana. Paid $3599 for the Hitachi. Now all I have to do is wait a week for more stock to come in. I also received a call (well my wife did) from someone at Hitachi, asking if we were happy with the panel. Has anyone else heard from Steve at Hitachi in Sydney? I haven't spoken to him yet, my wife gave him my office number but he hasn't called yet.

Yep, got a call today.

They, Hitachi, rang to 'clarify' an issue with the resolution. As posted they are now saying the TV is 1080I and not the 1080P as advertised. They continued on with the typical sales BS saying 1080I is as good as 1080P and the TV is still true HD. I replied with my disappointment at the call saying i purchased the TV thinking it was 1080P as advertised and expected it to be so. They went on to ask for my opinion on the image quality and if i was happy with the image.

I again passed on my disappointment because of the extensive research i did prior to buying the Hitachi P50X01AU. I now wish i had bought the Pioneer like a wanted to but decided against because of the extra $1000 it was going to cost me.

What the hell do i do now?

Hitachi offered me two options 1) a refund of $250 off the purchase price i.e. $3500 - big f*#king deal or 2) a return of the unit for a full refund of, i am assuming, $3800.

Because of the hassle of delivery, set up and buying a new TV and decided on the $250 but after reading a number of posts and thinking about it I am now considering the alternative option of returning it and purchasing the Pioneer.

To say i'm not a happy consumer is an understatement and the $250 option is just an insult.

Lift your game Hitachi!!!

Any thoughts???