Panasonic Group Buy, Owners Showoff Thread.

• Replies 186
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

been playing with my 50" for the pass few days...i just cant seem to get the colors right. post up some settings ppl! :)

If you're observing the 100-200 hour burn in period you should really tweak it after that and until then keep settings below 50%.

I posted some settings a few posts back.

http://www.dtvforum.info/index.php?s=&...st&p=747658

These were highly regarded settings for the 8th & 9th Gen panels so one can only assume until theyve tried that they will work with the 10th Gen also.

Let us know how you go.

If you're observing the 100-200 hour burn in period you should really tweak it after that and until then keep settings below 50%.

I posted some settings a few posts back.

http://www.dtvforum.info/index.php?s=&...st&p=747658

These were highly regarded settings for the 8th & 9th Gen panels so one can only assume until theyve tried that they will work with the 10th Gen also.

Let us know how you go.

those settings work pretty well for HDTV content. but with blueray content i feel contrast and color can be moved up 10% more with max sharpness. the issue i;m having is with SD satellite feeds. :wacko:

ps. there are no numbers next to the tuning bars so i;m just going by estimation of %.

Edited by shapes

ps. there are no numbers next to the tuning bars so i;m just going by estimation of %.

There should be 63 increments if the 70/700 is like the 600. And the amount of increments you need to adjust is also mentioned. ie to get a contrast value of 78% you need to move to the 49th increment.

There should be 63 increments if the 70/700 is like the 600. And the amount of increments you need to adjust is also mentioned. ie to get a contrast value of 78% you need to move to the 49th increment.

humm didnt actually count the increments one by one...couldnt be stuffed hehehe anyway here are some HDTV pics along with my setting . let me know what you think. i'll do some blueray pics next time. i didnt really play with the camera settings so its not that sharp.

http://img409.imageshack.us/img409/6417/img1153vk3.jpg

http://img232.imageshack.us/img232/9853/img1154ga6.jpg

http://img76.imageshack.us/img76/8852/img1156sr0.jpg

Dude, it seems you've gone to the trouble of covering the pictures beside your TV, but your photobucket account is set to public.

Click on account options and go to edit my album settings. Switch it to private in there.

Haha, no biggie. I thought originally that i could just post the pics straight to this website, but then realised they had to be hosted elsewhere.

If i set it to private, will people still be able to see the TV pics. Not too fussed about the other pics on there, mostly scenery.

Thanks for the heads up though.

(Teacplasma....thanks mate!)

Haha, no biggie. I thought originally that i could just post the pics straight to this website, but then realised they had to be hosted elsewhere.

If i set it to private, will people still be able to see the TV pics. Not too fussed about the other pics on there, mostly scenery.

you could always place this thread in the attachments section..................you can then post the pictures straight to this website

People can still see the individual pics fine. Nobody can however now just browse through all the pics in your account.

What are people doing with their cardboard boxes? I thought I'd keep it, as I may be moving house in the next 12 months, and it could come in handy for transporting the TV.

However, the box is so bloody big, I'm unable to fit it into any cupboards, and it's around half the size of most rooms in my house. I did think of putting it in the backyard, and using it as a spare bedroom :)

I finally got all my cabling sorted out with the TV. Have worked out how to get my DVD player, HDD recorder, and Foxtel all hooked up. The picture quality of the AFL on Foxtel is pretty poor (even on my CRT). Foxtel really should do something to improve their picture. (Yes, I am using SCART plugs and have set the Foxtel to SVHS quality in the settings).

This being my first HD TV, are there any free to air broadcasts that actually help "show off" the picture quality? To be honest, a lot of what I watched last night looked the same on SD digital and HD digital.

What are people doing with their cardboard boxes? I thought I'd keep it, as I may be moving house in the next 12 months, and it could come in handy for transporting the TV.

However, the box is so bloody big, I'm unable to fit it into any cupboards, and it's around half the size of most rooms in my house. I did think of putting it in the backyard, and using it as a spare bedroom :)

I finally got all my cabling sorted out with the TV. Have worked out how to get my DVD player, HDD recorder, and Foxtel all hooked up. The picture quality of the AFL on Foxtel is pretty poor (even on my CRT). Foxtel really should do something to improve their picture. (Yes, I am using SCART plugs and have set the Foxtel to SVHS quality in the settings).

This being my first HD TV, are there any free to air broadcasts that actually help "show off" the picture quality? To be honest, a lot of what I watched last night looked the same on SD digital and HD digital.

The box was way too big for us to hang onto, and as we're in an apartment building with a garbage room and chute on each floor (that a box this size would need a shedload of slimfast to get into), we had to do the sneaky sneaky 'place'n'run' down near the garbage room in the basement. Hopefully people were able to get out of the building with it down there! :D

In terms of good FTA - I have only seen a few shows... David Letterman is quite good. CSI and NCIS seem to get a wrap on the various forums here as well.

Cheers,

Doc.

we don't get the channel 7 loop on channel 70? it just shows normal tv. is this because i'm in a big city and not in the country towns??!

saturday night football on channel 10 is amazing. flick between the std and high def channels, and you can really see the difference. csi/all saints/letterman etc are a lot harder to see the difference between sd and hd - the football is where it really stands out.

Thanks Doc and achw - I'll try out one of these shows, and see if I can tell the difference between SD and HD. The main thing I watch is AFL, so will have to check out Saturday night's broadcast.

here's a list of all programs shown in widescreen/high definition. it also lists programs in dolby 5.1 (which are very very few).

http://www.dba.org.au/index.asp?sectionID=126

i also struggle to see the difference between sd and hd on most shows (other than the footy) but have set channels 70, 90 and 12 (being the hd channels for 7, 9 and 10) as my favourites and skip the rest.

the oddity is channel 2 - where channel 20 (being the hd channel) doesn't show the news!

sbs and channel 2 broadcast in 576/720 only. channel 7 broadcasts in 1080i (but i think only in melb and syd), while channels 9 and 10 broadcast in 1080i. i think...

Edited by achw

Hi guys, i'm looking to by either a 42 or 50 (depending on price) tomorrow night. Willing to pay cash for a good deal. I was wondering if anyone could give me heads up as to where to go in Melbourne.

Wish I had got in on the group buy!

Thanks

here's a list of all programs shown in widescreen/high definition. it also lists programs in dolby 5.1 (which are very very few).

http://www.dba.org.au/index.asp?sectionID=126

i also struggle to see the difference between sd and hd on most shows (other than the footy) but have set channels 70, 90 and 12 (being the hd channels for 7, 9 and 10) as my favourites and skip the rest.

the oddity is channel 2 - where channel 20 (being the hd channel) doesn't show the news!

sbs and channel 2 broadcast in 576/720 only. channel 7 broadcasts in 1080i (but i think only in melb and syd), while channels 9 and 10 broadcast in 1080i. i think...

Thats great. Thank you. I've edited my favourite channel settings too - that's a good tip!

What sound settings are people using? MPEG or Dolby Digital? (under DVB Audio Preference)

Thats great. Thank you. I've edited my favourite channel settings too - that's a good tip!

What sound settings are people using? MPEG or Dolby Digital? (under DVB Audio Preference)

i'm using dolby digital - since i have the optical out going to my receiver. most shows seem to be broadcast in dolby 2.0 - which my receiver turns into prologic or whatever. very few are broadcast in dolby 5.1 - although saturday night football is (i wonder how they get manage to get 5.1 sound from a live football match?!).

again, like the difference between sd and hd, i struggle to tell the difference between the audio formats!

as for my favourite channels, i've got mine set as 2 (channel 2), 21 (abc2), 70 (7hd), 90 (9dh), 12 (10hd) and 30(?) (sbs hd). all the rest are skipped.

which begs another question - why has the govt disallowed multi-channels for commercial stations?? so much potential for digital tv in aust, and all of it is wasted...

Has anyone noticed that the analogue tuner doesnt work well?

The same antenna used to be connected to my CRT (analogue) and used to provide a perfect picture.

With the 700A, I get perfect digital reception, but analogue is poor. I want good analogue for PIP!

Is this my set only?

Has anyone noticed that the analogue tuner doesnt work well?

The same antenna used to be connected to my CRT (analogue) and used to provide a perfect picture.

With the 700A, I get perfect digital reception, but analogue is poor. I want good analogue for PIP!

Is this my set only?

As one of the many still in limbo on the GB :( , I'm still finding this thread interesting. If the PiP function on the 700A is compromised due to poor analogue reception, and if I don't need a third HDMI port (which I don't), and I'll be running the sound of everything except FTA TV (which I don't watch much of anyway) through the stereo, I'm wondering if I wouldn't be better off with the 70A. Does the anti-glare coating on the 700A really make a big difference? - that's about the only other improvement it offers.

Comments anyone?

As one of the many still in limbo on the GB :( , I'm still finding this thread interesting. If the PiP function on the 700A is compromised due to poor analogue reception, and if I don't need a third HDMI port (which I don't), and I'll be running the sound of everything except FTA TV (which I don't watch much of anyway) through the stereo, I'm wondering if I wouldn't be better off with the 70A. Does the anti-glare coating on the 700A really make a big difference? - that's about the only other improvement it offers.

Comments anyone?

brumby - i had the same considerations - ie all sound through the receiver, no need for extra hdmi. the 700a has that cats thing (which i don't think is useful unless you move the tv around the place so the contrast is automatically adjusted - like a blackberry's screen) and pip would be nice, but not necessary. i've had a look at the 700a anti-glare, and don't notice anything special about it at all, although others have said there's a big difference.

anyway, i bought the 70a - same picture quality, not such a good looking stand, but i think i actually prefer all-black as opposed to silver/black. have never noticed annoying reflections on the screen - and am watching in a brightly lit room with lots of natural light.

i'm happy i saved myself a few hundred $, but that's just me - others will think the 700a offers better value!