New Sony V300 Is In Store Now!

• Replies 265
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I dont see them being such a huge success due to there being no integrated HD tuners.

There will be a market for people that already have a STB and are not fusssed about having the extra remote and people using it for game consoles.

Only 1600:1 contrast, and no built in hd tuner.

The V300 is the perfect set for me - I don't want a tuner as I use a media center PC through a VGA input to do TV/PVR/DVD/Videos/Internet. I am specifically trying to avoid a TV with a tuner in it.

Saw an older KLV40V200 on Friday in JB-HIFI at Melbourne CBD (cnr Elizabeth & Lonsdale) for $1991 and was tempted but this is even better.

Massive value - V300 40" for $1800, almost half the price as what the V200 came out at about a year ago!

The V300 is the perfect set for me - I don't want a tuner as I use a media center PC through a VGA input to do TV/PVR/DVD/Videos/Internet. I am specifically trying to avoid a TV with a tuner in it.

Saw an older KLV40V200 on Friday in JB-HIFI at Melbourne CBD (cnr Elizabeth & Lonsdale) for $1991 and was tempted but this is even better.

Massive value - V300 40" for $1800, almost half the price as what the V200 came out at about a year ago!

I am in the same position as you, looking to hook it up to a HTPC so TV tuner not needed.

This is the only sub $2000 100cm (40") screen around with decent specifications and a 1366x768 resolution.

I went along to Sony Central in Chapel St (Melbourne) this afternoon to have a look.

They had it hooked up to a HD STB via component. I must say the HD loop looked superb. Very hard to know how it would handle ordinary FTA fare.

They also showed the promo for an Adam Sandler (ugh) feature that looked quite grainy in parts. Don't know if it was the source or the set. There was some false contouring evident in a large block of static colour (blue) during a commercial break.

They had it set on dynamic, so it is hard to comment on colour accuracy, etc. The black levels looked pretty good. Fast moving scenes showed no screen blur.

They had the 32" set up next to it, but the colours looked a bit washed out to me. Still a decent quality screen

The casing is mid-grey matt metal on the front of the screen with a fine mesh below the screen which hides the speakers. The back of the case is black plastic. All the controls are on top of the set, behind the screen bezel which gives it a clean look. Build quality looks to be very good.

The Sony website contains a couple of errors concerning this set. The base is a fixed pedestal (48cm widex26cm deep). It does not swivel.

The set has two HDMI inputs and both are on the rear. There are no side HDMI inputs. There is 1xComposite, 1xS-video, 1xRCA audio inputs on the left hand side.

I asked the helpful sales guy about the 46" panel, but he didn't know when it would make an appearance in Australia. He hinted that the D series panels could be out in the coming month.

He also said that NZ has less telecommunications regulations to be negotiated than Australia, so they tend to get the new panels a bit quicker than us. No idea if this is true or not.

Dropped in at JB Hi-Fi further up the road and asked when they expect to get stock on the V300. A salesmen said about a month. They know all about them and expect them to be huge sellers.

If you are using a HTPC or a PVR and are not bothered by the lack of a digital Tuner, then this panel is definitely a contender. I would like to see it showing some SD TV programming so that I could be more certain.

As for other potential issues like back-light bleed, dead pixels etc, you can only judge these after purchase. :)

Had a look at one on Saturday, Retravision Indroopilly.

40" @ $1700 + $219 for 5 year extened warranty.

They had them coming into stock today, im intending to go and pick one up this weekend.

that's unbelievable, i wish i could get that price. called my local Good Guys, they offered $1770 for cash.

edit: called another one, $1720 cash price, but have to wait for one week.

Sony Central Gold Coast and another Retravision Store.

I also tried JB HiFi at Indroo Saturday and they offered no assistance at all, the sales rep walk away, said he'd never heard of the V300 and he didnt think would bring any out with no STB built in...

Im going to go ahead with the Retravision one, there warranty looked the best. It covered parts and labour and a 3 x no lemon guarantee, so if it was sent back 3 time it would be replaced.

I checked out the KLV32V300 and KLV40V300 at Sony Central in the Melbourne CBD (Elizabeth st). They had the 40" for $1999 sticker price. I didn't bother to haggle - I am not quite ready to buy yet.

The set looked great though, much better than pictures. The beige/brown colour is darker than the pictures suggest, and it looks quite good in the flesh.

I asked about the 46" inch and the salesperson said that because Sony Central isn't actually owned by Sony they often only find out about new models two weeks before they are on sale. He then went on to say he was aware of a 46" model and thought it would be out before the end of August, possibly as soon as a month...

Mmmm :)

I'm going to buy this model next week but a few questions first.

1) I saw a model of the V series with a VGA input.. does this have one?

2) Whats the difference between the V300 and the D300? features/quality and price.

3) DHMI? 1.3?

I'm going to buy this model next week but a few questions first.

1) I saw a model of the V series with a VGA input.. does this have one?

2) Whats the difference between the V300 and the D300? features/quality and price.

3) DHMI? 1.3?

1) yes it does, and 1:1 pixel mapping under 1360X768

2) D300 has 100Hz+ motion flow and HD Tuner, V300 doesn't, $500-600 in price difference (40")

3) not sure, but heard it is

1) yes it does, and 1:1 pixel mapping under 1360X768

2) D300 has 100Hz+ motion flow and HD Tuner, V300 doesn't, $500-600 in price difference (40")

3) not sure, but heard it is

So we're hoping these models will enter the market around September..

I'm wondering if its worth the wait..

So do you guys think this will be good enough for playing PS3 on seeing as I am not wanting to spend more than $2,000.

I will need a HD STB so do you guys think I can get the 40" V300 and Sony HD STB for $1850-$1900?

edit: Eddie hows the PQ? How does a 720p/1080i source compare to a Sammy M81 (I know its hard to judge but just based on what you've probably seen on a M81 before)

So do you guys think this will be good enough for playing PS3 on seeing as I am not wanting to spend more than $2,000.

I will need a HD STB so do you guys think I can get the 40" V300 and Sony HD STB for $1850-$1900?

edit: Eddie hows the PQ? How does a 720p/1080i source compare to a Sammy M81 (I know its hard to judge but just based on what you've probably seen on a M81 before)

from 2m away i really couldn't tell the PQ difference between these 2 sets, but i could see the reflection on M81 which is irritating for me.