Panasonic 32in Lcd....the Best In The World.

I bought this TV a few days ago to pair with my PS3 for gaming. I compared it with my sony CRT (hr36)

1. Motion handling - superb

2. Color fidelity - superb

3. Blacks- I have to admit coming from CRT the blacks were piss poor. In fact i was in shock but I guess thats to be expected.

4. BLU RAY - saw Ratatouille last night and the picture quality is on a par with CRT but richer, more vibrant colors but worse blacks than CRT

Many thanks for your comments.

How do you find the sharpness of the Panasonic vs the Sony CRT with good and also high quality source input.

• Replies 533
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

well the sharpness on this LCD is perfect and u dont get any of the convergence problems of a direct view CRT.

For viewing films (which is my main hobby) I would not recommend this LCD as the black levels are not up to the same standard as a Samsung or Sony LCD flagship models. I noticed the same problems on the Hitachi and LG LCD's - washed out blacks.

Games are fantastic though (eg Ridge Racer 7)

How do you navigate the service menu?

Using the red and green buttons and 1,2,3,4,9 or something. I hit 1 after the screen loaded and was moving thru the menus. If someone can tell me where to go to change the backlight as i can only see the R-gain that someone set to F6 from FF...

Cheers!

Using the red and green buttons and 1,2,3,4,9 or something. I hit 1 after the screen loaded and was moving thru the menus. If someone can tell me where to go to change the backlight as i can only see the R-gain that someone set to F6 from FF...

Cheers!

To get to the backlight hit the green button 3 times when you enter the menu :)

• 1 month later...
Sharp price. Any chance of a receipt scan? I just went into Bing Lee (Pitt St mall) and spoke to two very friendly chaps who told me $1500 (incl wty) was below cost for them, so they couldn't do it. If you can give me the receipt, pls send to my DTV username at hotmail. cheers

hi, i was wondering if i could get a copy of that receipt as well? would make a great last minute christmas present, i'm desperate! it would be very much appreciated if possible

thanks!

I saw one of the 32" Panasonic LCD TV's in JB hifi the other day (not sure which model) but even after only a quick comparison with the other brands (sony, samsung, LG etc) it was very obvious to me that the Pana was a far better TV than the others.

It had a far more natural picture & none of the harshness that I hate on most LCD TV's plus its scaler was doing a much better job with the SD signal than the others and the Picture was clean and almost artifact free.

I was also impressed by the very black blacks and crisp white whites - Anyway I'll be buying one of these for the family room once I move into my new house - I'll be using an xbox360 pro-pack as a Media Center extender (+ the HD-DVD drive). The Sales droid offered me the aforementioned items in a package for just under $2k.

word of warning Djos

i too was impressed till i got home- the blacks are abysmal when viewing in the ambient light of the evening family room. Im coming from CRT though.

Its great for gaming but awful for movies with lots of black

the way prices are falling on the KURO this is a no contest (finances excepted)

EDIT: i just saw your kit list :wub::blush:

Edited by williamtassone

word of warning Djos

i too was impressed till i got home- the blacks are abysmal when viewing in the ambient light of the evening family room. Im coming from CRT though.

This is so my SO can watch her chick TV (or DVD's) and I can watch Movies on our Pio 50" Plasma - I agree that the blacks aren't as good as the Pio Plasma's but by LCD standards they were excellent. I suspect that most of the viewing will be during the day and the area it is going into is very well lit with no light control at all so a nice bright LCD is perfect (I personally prefer plasma but the GF isn't that fussy).

Cheers Mate. B)

word of warning Djos

I suggest you enter the service menu and turn down the backlight. The default setting is 276 and ive turned it down to 200. Ive turned up the brightness and contrast alittle aswell. There has defintely been a difference in blacks. Im pretty happy with it and have no problems with it now. :)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

can anyone advise whether this tv accepts 1080p input and downscales? from the spec sheet available on the panasonic site it does only appears to accept 1080i max.

it does accept 1080p. Got my ps3 hooked up to it :) Its nice to see the 1080p pop up on the screen even though its not its native resolution lol

ramskii.... thanks heaps for that... i've now also read it'll accept 1080p over hdmi only

great news about your ps3... that is why i need 1080p input...one of the games i play online (nba 2k8) will not let you play people with different resolutions. 1080p cant play 720p. its dumb!

no problems mate. Yeah only 720p max by component and vga.

ahh ok really i had no idea about that. thats ridiculous. I got nka 2k8 for the 360. great game. love it. Though my sonics arent the best in it :)

• 2 weeks later...

I recently bought this set and was mighty annoyed to discover there is no menu option to disable the motion interpolation feature.

Does anyone know how to modify or disable this feature? Is there anything in the service menu perhaps? Or maybe a firmware hack?

The only way to partly switch off the motion interpolation feature, is to use the demo feature of the TV. The button is accessible along the very top of the TV, and switches Off motion control for half of the picture only. This can permit somewhat of a comparison, to see if it is affecting the picture.

I've read on the UK forum that the next series of Panasonic LCD TV's ('800' series?) may allow adjusting the backlight, and also possibly switching off motion control.

The only way to partly switch off the motion interpolation feature, is to use the demo feature of the TV. The button is accessible along the very top of the TV, and switches Off motion control for half of the picture only. This can permit somewhat of a comparison, to see if it is affecting the picture.

I've read on the UK forum that the next series of Panasonic LCD TV's ('800' series?) may allow adjusting the backlight, and also possibly switching off motion control.

That sucks. I guess I'll have to sell the set. I knew I should have bought the Sony....

Edited by tomfrh

That sucks. I guess I'll have to sell the set. I knew I should have bought the Sony....

What problem do you have with the motion control? I purchased the 700A a couple of weeks ago ($1325) for use in kitchen/family area and think its motion control "thingy" is one of the better implementations and have not felt the urge to switch it off (and yes would be better if you could) . I think its a very good LCD and did toss a coin between it and the Sony.

I have turned the backlighting down (220, I found better for my setup) as mentioned by another poster (thanks I got the idea off the other thread in the review area)

I actually blame the 700A for getting me back interested in AV gear. I am now thinking of upgrading my 4yr old Fujitsu plasma in the lounge and getting a HD player. Sh*t I will also need new amp (current yammy RX800) and so on $$$$$.

cheers

Yes, I also find the motion control to be a great feature on the 700A. I've not had any problems with it.

Though it could be useful to turn it Off, you might want to first test the Sony to see if this makes a difference.

Another member, Ramskii, did some initial testing re motion control on the 700A... (see post)-

http://www.dtvforum.info/index.php?showtop...st&p=787571

And here is his experience regarding changing to the Sony:

http://www.dtvforum.info/index.php?showtop...st&p=794832

Edited by tech2002