IGNORED

Foxtel Iq Installation Question?

Hi all. I currently have Foxtel digital (via satellite), and I'm thinking about (one day) getting IQ. I heard from a neighbour who has IQ that it needs two input wires from the dish.

Is this true? I've only recently built my house, and when I did I had wires for Foxtel pre-installed from the roof to various points in the house. But there is only one wire to each point. There's no chance that they're going to be able to run another wire to the same points in the walls (both from the course the wire has to take, plus things like insulation in the way).

Can they use a single wire and split it going into the box? Or have I gotten myself confused? If they truly require two cables from the dish to the box, then there's really no need for me to upgrade, as I'm not going to have wires running on the outside of my house just for IQ.

Thanks for any input,

Ed

Because you already have multiple points you should have a dual LNB already, the IQ does require two feeds to the box that will go to wherever your splitter is, you might be surprised how easily they can do this though, regardless of how much flack they cop they do actually have some good installers

Does the free to air cable go to the roof too (straight to roof, no splitter.)? Is it RG6 cabling? You might be able diplex this cable to get a second one going from the dish to the outlet.

I can try to reply, but I have a feeling I don't have the technical details you'd like. Sorry.

What I know (I think, anyways), is that single cable comes down from the dish to the roofspace, where it goes into a splitter. The splitter has a single input and four outputs. 3 of the 4 outputs are used to run single cables from the splitter to three different locations in the house. Only one location is ever used at the moment.... the idea was if, over time, we wanted to move the box to somewhere else in the house or have multiple boxes, we could without ripping up the walls.

I don't know whether it's RG6 cabling. Would it say on the side of the cable (as it does for cat-5 cable)? I could try to see.

I guess I was afriad that, if I wanted IQ on one of the boxes, an installer would need to run a second wire to the same location. So, where we currently have a single outlet to connect to the Pace box, we'd have two outlets which feed into the IQ box.

Sorry if I can't provide enough information. I guess I was hoping that they could still use the single cable going from the splitter to the outlet, splitting it somehow at the outlet in order to provide the two inputs to the IQ box. As you could probably guess, I don't have any technical reason to justify that. :blink: I don't know if that's what they do (having never actually seen a standard IQ setup).

Because you already have multiple points you should have a dual LNB already, the IQ does require two feeds to the box that will go to wherever your splitter is, you might be surprised how easily they can do this though, regardless of how much flack they cop they do actually have some good installers

Just for the record, I haven't come across a bad installer. They've always been able to do what I wanted. :blink: Please don't take this as an indictment against installers. I'm more trying to figure out if I haven't quite future-proofed the cabling in the house as much as I thought I had.

Sorry, I'll try to be a little clearer.

At the location where you currently have Foxtel, do you also have an free-to-air antenna point besides the Foxtel one? (for 2, 7, 9, 10, SBS etc.)

If so does this have it's own dedicated cable going to the roofspace, so that there are two cables going from that location to the roof?

If this cable is RG6 cabling (yes it will say on the outer sheath what grade cable it is) then you can use a device called a diplexor so that both your antenna and a second foxtel signal line can share the same cable. One provision though is that this second cable must run straight from the outlet to roof, without any splitters in between. If your antenna splitter is also in the roof like the satellite one is you should be okay. Also if you do get the iQ installed the installer will replace the sat splitter you currently have with a multiswitch (a 'proper' satellite signal splitter).

Anyway this might be all moot if the installer manages to get a cable to where you want it.

Sorry, I'll try to be a little clearer.

At the location where you currently have Foxtel, do you also have an free-to-air antenna point besides the Foxtel one? (for 2, 7, 9, 10, SBS etc.)

If so does this have it's own dedicated cable going to the roofspace, so that there are two cables going from that location to the roof?

If this cable is RG6 cabling (yes it will say on the outer sheath what grade cable it is) then you can use a device called a diplexor so that both your antenna and a second foxtel signal line can share the same cable. One provision though is that this second cable must run straight from the outlet to roof, without any splitters in between. If your antenna splitter is also in the roof like the satellite one is you should be okay. Also if you do get the iQ installed the installer will replace the sat splitter you currently have with a multiswitch (a 'proper' satellite signal splitter).

Anyway this might be all moot if the installer manages to get a cable to where you want it.

oh, OK. Yes, at all the spots where the Foxtel outlets are, there's also a Free-to-air outlet. I understand now. :blink:

That's good news. I have options when I want to get it installed. I was afraid that I wouldn't have any.

Thanks for the info!

i just had IQ installed yesterday and they do need to add the second cable like everyone said - but its worth the upgrade, especially since its free !!!!!!!

ive already recorded about 15 shows in the past 24 hours and its great - we were almost thinking of getting rid of Foxtel cause theres nothing on but now its much better..

i just had IQ installed yesterday and they do need to add the second cable like everyone said - but its worth the upgrade, especially since its free !!!!!!!

ive already recorded about 15 shows in the past 24 hours and its great - we were almost thinking of getting rid of Foxtel cause theres nothing on but now its much better..

If you're in a cable area then yes, no second cable is required. If you live in a satellite area (most newer areas) then you will need the second cable.