IGNORED

Just A News Snippet On Blue Laser Diode Availability

I don't think the HD player price will be dropping too soon

but but but Mr Chicken Man, it says it on the interweb, so it must be true :blink:

But now the prices of these high-end players is expected to fall as Sharp has started mass-production of these diodes last month

Andrew.

Speaking of lasers...

http://www.cdrinfo.com/Sections/News/Detai...px?NewsId=19792

Japanese Nichia Corp. has developed a blue-violet semiconductor laser diode, featuring a power high enough for burning Blu-Ray and HD DVD media at high speeds.

Nichia's new laser diode is able to emit pulsed light at 320mW, while it offers a stable operation of 1,000 hours, according to the company. The diode could be used for optical discs including Blu-ray and HD DVD, allowing 10X speed recording with a double-layer disc and 2X speed recording with a four-layer disc. Currently blue-violet semiconductor laser diodes offer a pulsed output of 130 mW.

The high output was achieved with 260 mA and 5 V at a temperature of 80 degrees. Nichia gave the diode an estimated life of more than 1,000 hours under the stable conditions. Pulse oscillation's threshold current is 35 mA and threshold voltage is 3.7 V. The company explained it achieved the high power by improving the laser chip.

Nichia aims to start this product's mass-production in the first half of 2008.

Although the new diode could boost the recording speeds of the next generation optical storage media, high-speed recording also requires significant improvements in the materials and the developments of the optical discs.

Good news for the future of burners it would seem.

Speaking of lasers...

http://www.cdrinfo.com/Sections/News/Detai...px?NewsId=19792

Good news for the future of burners it would seem.

Burners being the operative word!

320mW? :blink:

That's pretty serious wattage, if the report's correct. Wonder what the H&S implications are of the unlimited distribution of such powerful devices? Or is this just another case of bad reporting?

1000 hours working life and then what? ....unstable read/write ?

1000 hours of use and then to throw away the burner is hardly economical.

* Edit * The blue lasers used in the HD DVD/ Blue-ray players have a projected service life of 10,000 hours which probably amounts to 6 or 7 years of moderate use (about 4 hours /day) if you are lucky.

C.M

• 2 weeks later...

Ok, I vaguely remember reading this thread back when it was posted, and the bit that stuck with me was the "If you ever wondered why your HD DVD / Blu-ray player cost so much" quote.

Now I'm not 100% sure where they locate this diode etc, but I was shopping ebay a few days ago, for a new laser/lens on my xbox dvd drive, and while looking in the ebay store of the guy selling one, I discovered they are already selling replacements for the PS3 drive...

So how much is the replacement?, err well it's $90, so um where is the expensive stuff located???