IGNORED

Which Console Offers The Best Online Gaming Experience?

If i was to re-enter the gaming market by purchasing a new console, i would probably base my decision on which offers the better online gaming experience.

Would not consider the cost of the console as a factor, but definitely the cost of the online subscription.

Anyone willing to offer their opinions as to why one is better than the other and how they differ from each other, especially in regards to pricing?

Also, what would be the minimum adsl connection requirements for uncompromised gameplay, particularly with users in the UK (as well as Oz)?

(Currently have ADSL2+ connection with 10GB peak + 10GB offpeak DL at 618KB/s & unlimited UL at 100KB/s ~ speeds courtesy of www.ozspeedtest.com (also says line speed is 4.94Mbps))

Any info on bandwidth usage? What exactly dictates how much DL you'll use?

i.e. number of people in the game? geographical location in relation to other gamers? type of game? ???

As you can see i don't really know much about online gaming at all :blink: , so any info would be helpful!

Cheers :D

While people know my feelings on the PS3, I think it would be hard for anyone not to at least admit that M$ know how do to online, with the 360.

Of course, to truly experience it at its fullest, involves a subscription, but as you say, money is not the problem.

I think he meant console cost isnt a factor, but online subscription is. X360 online play costs around $79/yr, which is only ~22cents/day. If you play online a bit, hell even if you dont play much, its not exactly huge. You can also go for monthly, 3 monthly, 6 monthly memberships.

Memberships are widely available at most electrical/computer shops.

When purchasing a 360, you get 2 months (i think) of free "gold" (read full) membership, so you can play plenty online then. I had a ball when online playing, with a similar connection to yours (possibly yours is better than mine even), there was no speed issues. I didnt try servers over the other side of the world though.

Some info on Xbox 360 Live here http://www.xbox.com/en-AU/live/

I dont own a PS3, never played one, so I cant really comment on its online play, save to say I did hear something about some games potentially costing big bucks to "unlock" all features (gran tourismo 3 maybe). There are 1 or 2 importers of PS3 here who i'm sure can comment.

Finally though, I think with the current gen consoles, online play should be almost comprable to one another in terms of speed and reliability - I would more decide your purchase on the games you want to play.

Finally though, I think with the current gen consoles, online play should be almost comprable to one another in terms of speed and reliability - I would more decide your purchase on the games you want to play.

Of course I'll get accused of favouritism/fanboism, but my understanding is that MS has set up online infrastructure called xbox live that acts as a central hub for all games, enabling the matching of players and games in a complete online community. This includes stable servers maintained by your subscription costs. The PS3 however has left online play up to the games makers, meaning your experience depends entirely on how online play is implemented by the game makers. It is means that your online access to a game can be cancelled at any stage. Game makers can chose to levy fees or not so depending on your game choices online play could involve several subscriptions or be entirely free.

I know which one sound like the better online option to me.

Yep, absolutely no doubt the xbox 360, should the decision be based purely on an online gaming experience.

Xbox Live is just a fantastic integrated system, and the achievement points system is tremendously addictive.

Xbox360!! Hands down!! Momaw's description a few posts back is an accurate synopsis of the current situation with Sony and PS3. The PS3 will be free initially, however, long term i can see game makers wanting to generate income to support their running of the server. Wont be something that happens during this launch year, but after that.........? Not much in life is free.

Thanks guys, some handy info there.

Would be nice if there was more pricing info publicly available for the PS3 online situation. I guess more will be revealed after the launch?

As it stands, sounds like Xbox Live is the one to go for.

Since the PS3 online experience is dependent on the game makers and sony has not set up a gaming environment like xbox live, you will only ever know the price of online gaming after you have bought the individual game and try to subscribe to the online serivce. :blink: