IGNORED

Heroes On 7

I watched the first episode of Heroes last night and was surprised. From the ads over summer, I was half expecting it to be Smallville meets Desperate Housewives. It was actually a lot grittier than I expected. This was evidenced by the fact that the wife got annoyed, shot daggers at me because I'd made her record Medium and went to sleep on the lounge.

I think they made a mistake trying to introduce all of the characters in the first episode. It did make it hard to keep track of everything. Otherwise, I think its worth another look.

• Replies 316
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah I didn't mind it, the wife liked it as well, so I'll be watching the rest (unless it gets too far fetched). But I'm still not happy it took over the Prison Break timeslot, and I'll be watching that tonight at some stage (from the pvr).

Still looking forward to the lost return as well. Wednesday / Thursday nights are taken care of again this year...

Brazzwald

I think they made a mistake trying to introduce all of the characters in the first episode. It did make it hard to keep track of everything. Otherwise, I think its worth another look.

What makes you think that ALL of the characters have been introduced in the first episode.

But yes there are a few, however, they are all so different in everyway and you tend to just see this first lot for a good few eps that you soon forget just how many there are.

Well, since this one's up 'n' running, I'll put my commentary here!

Decided, after the outburst of "Duuuude, iss de gratest, man!" style remarks in my This Year... thread, to give this thing a go, against my better judgement!

So...

• OK, given the massive success of the Da Vinci Crud with Joe Sixpack, I can see how something like Heroes could be popular.

• Opening - Pretentious, moi?

• Basis - Bogus! (Genetics mumbo jumbo of all things! Good grief, the old "dose of radiation" would be more believable! {OK, maybe not to Joe Sixpack, who's easily duped when it comes to genetics!})
  • Sappy - There's the inevitable Little Boy Brain. Usual sappy "rebuilt the logic board" and "solar eclipse" lines! Zzzzzzz
  • Enter the predictable Bad Guys.
  • Now we meet the only character I've hated even from the ads in the paper! The Consto Kid - yep, that lamest of lame caricature Japanese dweeb. Hell, if they wanted to cover the racial stereotypes, couldn't they at least have chosen someone less nausiating?
  • Enter the formula... politician & Shoplifter Mom.
  • Cheerleader Girl® - Is she so typecast she'll never appear wearing anything else?
  • (Momentary lapse into entertainment... with the political ad in the background "He served his country in Bosnia. He served as the tough D.A...." was quite funny).
  • OBLIGATORY FREAKIN' SOUNDTRACK INTERLUDE! :blink::D:P (Ok, I'm sure this appeals to GenXYZ, but BLECH ... If there's one thing this Santa hates, its bloody lame bits of trash-muzak forced down your throat in the middle of tv programmes. I don't care if it is "Yellow Puke"'s latest chart topper "Dustbin Roach". Blech!)
  • Way too much ConstoKid. If this series were to appeal to the likes of Santa, they'd put something less predicatable into the script for once, and kill this sad genetic disaster off at the start of ep 2!!! :P

Edit: Spoiler for pilot episode in last line of this post

Well, since this one's up 'n' running, I'll put my commentary here!
Well the masses have once more disagreed with you Santa - God (Maybe he should have given them their super powers?) they're an obtuse bunch :blink: I've seen quite a few 'respected' posters who download episodes suggest its well worth perservering with. I'm hoping that best way to get satisfyingly unpredictable is to start off 'on beam' and then take the audience off the beaten path with you. Must admit I didn't anticipate it was the polly that could fly and that encourages me.

Regards

Peter Gillespie

Basis - Bogus! (Genetics mumbo jumbo of all things! Good grief, the old "dose of radiation" would be more believable! {OK, maybe not to Joe Sixpack, who's easily duped when it comes to genetics!})

Well, it is called Sci-Fi, last time I checked, time travel wasn't possible either, let alone in a small blue police box :blink:

Enter the predictable Bad Guys.

Are you sure he is the bad guy, could there be more too it...hmmmmmm

Enter the formula... politician & Shoplifter Mom.

Well, partly formula politician, but there is more too him, tho I'll give you the mother, not that you'll see much more of her anyway.

Cheerleader Girl® - Is she so typecast she'll never appear wearing anything else?

Nope, she will wear other stuff, but at school it will generally be Cheerleader things, but then most schools have a uniform, so its not that surprising.

Way too much ConstoKid. If this series were to appeal to the likes of Santa, they'd put something less predicatable into the script for once, and kill this sad genetic disaster off at the start of ep 2!!!

Well, sorry, but the genetic stuff keeps going, but based on "forsight", my prediction that you would pick all the so-called "predictable" stuff wasn't very surprising. I bet you even hate Firefly, in fact I'm starting to wonder why you watch anything Santa, you seem to hate just about all things :D

Well, sorry, but the genetic stuff keeps going, but based on "forsight", my prediction that you would pick all the so-called "predictable" stuff wasn't very surprising. I bet you even hate Firefly, in fact I'm starting to wonder why you watch anything Santa, you seem to hate just about all things :blink:
ROLF (Santa©)

I think they made a mistake trying to introduce all of the characters in the first episode.

Characters can and do change in shows, this is the whole purpose. You aren't meant to follow things in such as simplistic manner.

[*]Enter the predictable Bad Guys.

Explain?

I think people are missing the point of this series, it is Sci-Fi. I think you should stick to the ABC trash if that is your thing (yes that was a deliberate poke back :blink:).

I doubt there will ever be a program on TV with universal appeal. I thought Heroes was quite watchable as a Sci-Fi drama. It's better than I expected it to be. I certainly wouldn't say it was perfect TV though. I guess thats why we have a number of channels to choose from. People have different tastes.

It was actually a lot grittier than I expected. This was evidenced by the fact that the wife got annoyed, shot daggers at me because I'd made her record Medium and went to sleep on the lounge.

She's in for a surprise when she watches Medium, then - it's one of that show's more "gritty" episodes, especially with some of the death depictions during the first hour. :blink:

This was my favourite line... :D

Sorry Santa, you lost a lot of credibility regarding character stereotypes and cliched story-lines after you admitted to liking 'Outrageous Fortune' on Nein.

Aha!

I've got it. :P

Its in the same basket as 'Outrageous Fortune'.

That's OK, then.

When people here had been raving, I thought they meant it was breathtaking quality, not just, well ... breathtaking! :P

Well, it is called Sci-Fi, last time I checked, time travel wasn't possible either, let alone in a small blue police box :P

That's why I - personally - prefer shows without the pretention of what some morons may consider "plausible" backgrounds to the fi bit. That said, maybe they wont hammer on trying to extend this "(un)natural selection of rare genetic bullshit" hokum. {Edit: Oops, I see from your post that they will. Pity.}

Are you sure he is the bad guy, could there be more too it...hmmmmmm

You have to admit, the "bad guy" scenes, whether they were bad guys, white knights, CIA, MSNBC ... whatever, were stereotypical in the extreme.

Well, partly formula politician, but there is more too him, tho I'll give you the mother, not that you'll see much more of her anyway.

Nope, she will wear other stuff, but at school it will generally be Cheerleader things, but then most schools have a uniform, so its not that surprising.

I was kidding, btw. Unless the show really is caught trying to make up its mind whether super heroes need uniforms!

Well, sorry, but the genetic stuff keeps going, but based on "forsight", my prediction that you would pick all the so-called "predictable" stuff wasn't very surprising. I bet you even hate Firefly, in fact I'm starting to wonder why you watch anything Santa, you seem to hate just about all things :P

Well, I've said before the kind of things that give me the shits. Heroes wasn't by any means the worst, but given the hype from some here, I expected a bit better.

That said, if they hadn't included ConstoBoy, and possible Little Boy Brain, I may have given it a little more credit.

Still ... far from the worst I've seen. Just not too hot. However, given the popularity of things like Lost, the bar is pretty low atm! :P:P:P

Oh, and BTW ... I note you chose not to comment on the ConstoKid and Little Boy Brain. And, while I'm at it ... are you a fan of the insertion of lame "pause for the Soundtrack Moment®" gimicks? In my book, its up there with bloody canned laughter! :blink:

Explain?

I think people are missing the point of this series, it is Sci-Fi. I think you should stick to the ABC trash if that is your thing (yes that was a deliberate poke back :D ).

The point is that they (at least in ep1) were introduced in such a stereotypical way.

Other parts of the show were at least a bit different, I'll give you that, but the "bad guys" (or white knights/CIA/MSNBC/etc) deserve a little more credibility ... in their entrance at least! :P

WRT The ABC. Hey, it's been Howarded for a decade now ... what do you expect! :blink:

That said, if they hadn't included ConstoBoy, and possible Little Boy Brain, I may have given it a little more credit.

Actually, I found Hiro character (or ConstoBoy if you prefer) very annoying at first. The character has grown on me, and does get some of the more darkly-funny dialogue.

As a matter of interest, the actor has a cameo appearance as himself (referring to 'Heroes') on the latest episode of 'Studio 60 on the Sunset Strip'.

You have to admit, the "bad guy" scenes, whether they were bad guys, white knights, CIA, MSNBC ... whatever, were stereotypical in the extreme.

True and it made him a bad guy that you just wanted to see brought down (shot even), and this gets further pushed in the first few episodes, then it starts to turn around, not so black'n'white bad guy after all.

Oh, and BTW ... I note you chose not to comment on the ConstoKid and Little Boy Brain.

Well, for 1, I have not idea who or what "ConstoKid" is, but thats OK, since you oftern loose me in many of your references from all over the place. As for "Little Boy Brain", I assume you mean the Cheerleaders friend, which 'Brain' didn't really just register with me, he was more just your average 'dork' that didn't mostly fit in, much like how she was now feeling and hence was just there to help move her plot along, it really could have been anyone.

are you a fan of the insertion of lame "pause for the Soundtrack Moment®" gimicks?

Not really, not that I noticed it all that much in Heroes, not like say the first 1-2 minutes of Charmed, which just has to feature the song/band of the moment for no reason what so ever.

Still, you stick with it Santa, I'm sure you'll find something you like, of course as soon as that happens, they will cancel it. :blink:

I actually think the first episode was not quite up to the standard of the rest so far, some stuff in ep1 does not actually go anywhere, but from episode 2 onwards it's just all good.

From memory when I first watched episode 1, I was kind of like "this is ok", by the 3rd, I was hooked big time.

In my mind there were these little things in ep1 that are best forgotten, I think maybe there was some pilot stuff there that they decided to drop, and perhaps they had not fully made up their mind on character development yet, I'm not sure Hiro was going to be as featured until they released how popular he would become...

We should at least applaud Santa for watching this with an open mind :D

Hear, hear! :P

I did make quite an exception to give it a go, and will break with tradition and watch a bit more before making a final decision.

Actually, I found Hiro character (or ConstoBoy if you prefer) very annoying at first. The character has grown on me, and does get some of the more darkly-funny dialogue.

As a matter of interest, the actor has a cameo appearance as himself (referring to 'Heroes') on the latest episode of 'Studio 60 on the Sunset Strip'.

I don't have a problem as much with the character as the actor. I can see that some of the better dialogue may be going to surround him. Already his scenes were some of the better (if stereotypical).

Its just that the kid gives me the screamin' shits!

I think he reminds me too much of Alexander Downer playing Peep-Bo in The Mikado :P:P:P

As for "Little Boy Brain"

Still, you stick with it Santa, I'm sure you'll find something you like, of course as soon as that happens, they will cancel it. :blink:

Little Boy Brain was the 4yo character introduced very early on with the ridiculous "I simply repaired the logic board" line.

In terms of cancelling ... well, I think, for once, this one will survive ... even if I do start to like it!

(I do hope it gets a lot better as quickly as Jericho got worse!)

One thing I did enjoy about Hiro was the dynamic subtitle placement - could get old fast, but I haven't seen that before.

Regards

Peter Gillespie

one of the things that stood out for me too.

ven though i stay away from these sort of shows and general comercial tv tripe i thought i would catch this new series.

pretty average , found it sooooo predictable with all the stereotypical characters. just like a cheap version of xmen. unknown actors, crappy dialogue ( i bet the japanese would be cringing) cheap effects etc - a cheap version of x-men.

my 2 cents.