IGNORED

Toshiba Hd-xa1 Wins Product Of The Year

Monitored Thread

You have reached the maximum limit for the number of replies allowed at this time. Please check back later.

noticed this flitting around avs..

that rather amazingly the tosh HD-XA1 was announced day before yesterday by the us magazine sound & vision as Product of the Year !

given their comment...

"The flagship HD-XA1 totally fulfilled the promise of the high definition disc player by delivering both picture and sound with unmatched purity, detail, and punch. We're very impressed"

I'm pretty happy that I own one :blink:

Toshiba HD-XA1 HD DVD Player Wins Sound & Vision Product of the Year Award

By PR Newswire

Jan. 26 /PRNewswire/ -- Sound & Vision, the world's largest entertainment magazine, has selected Toshiba's HD-XA1 HD DVD player to receive its prestigious Product of the Year Award, recognizing it as the most outstanding consumer electronics product of 2006. The Toshiba HD-XA1, along with Toshiba's HD-A1 HD DVD player, was the first High definition DVD player to be introduced in the U.S. market.

"We're quite pleased to honor Toshiba with this award," said Mike Mettler, Vice President/Editor-In-Chief of Sound & Vision. "The flagship HD-XA1 totally fulfilled the promise of the high definition disc player by delivering both picture and sound with unmatched purity, detail, and punch. We're very impressed."

Ranking at the top of 22 products chosen by the magazine's editors and reviewers from those tested throughout the year, the Toshiba HD-XA1 was selected by Sound & Vision's staff for its innovation, performance, build, quality and value.

"We are very proud to have received Sound & Vision's most prestigious award for 2006," said Jodi Sally, Vice President of Marketing, Toshiba America Consumer Products Digital A/V Group. "Toshiba HD DVD players continue to be recognized as outstanding options for next generation DVD and serve as great home theater complements for HDTV owners. We are delighted that this product has been honored by such a widely read and respected magazine."

Continuing to prove its leadership in the smooth transition to high definition, Toshiba recently announced it has already successfully introduced its second generation HD DVD players -- delivering stunning image quality, astounding audio capabilities and a new level of interactivity never seen before. Building on its early lead in the market and proving the strength of the HD DVD format, Toshiba has expanded its HD DVD line and has increased shipment volume to meet the growing market demand.

About Toshiba America Consumer Products, L.L.C.

Toshiba America Consumer Products, L.L.C. is owned by Toshiba America, Inc., a subsidiary of Toshiba Corporation, a world leader in high technology products with subsidiaries worldwide. Toshiba is a pioneer in HD DVD, DVD and DVD Recorder technology and a leading manufacturer of a full line of home entertainment products, including flat panel TV, rear projection and direct view televisions, combination products and portable devices. Toshiba America Consumer Products, L.L.C. is headquartered in Wayne, New Jersey. For additional information please visit www.tacp.toshiba.com.

About Sound & Vision

Established in 1958, Sound & Vision has led the category in the coverage of consumer electronics products for nearly 50 years. From early adopters to everyday shoppers, people come to Sound & Vision for the latest product reviews, recommendations and information on home theater, high-definition TV, digital surround sound, and more. Published ten times per year, the title has a rate base of 200,000.

that rather amazingly the tosh HD-XA1 was announced day before yesterday by the us magazine sound & vision as Product of the Year !

given their comment...

"The flagship HD-XA1 totally fulfilled the promise of the high definition disc player by delivering both picture and sound with unmatched purity, detail, and punch. We're very impressed"

Really thats good news for all hd-dvd toshiba owners as well.Don't part with it alebonau, you have a very good unit.

given their comment...

Well, I guess that just sold out the next shipment of HD DVD players to Australia.

This time I'm ready to go.........................ZOOM !!

C.M

its the XA2 that has the Reon chip, not the XA1 (i assume thats a typo in your link?)

good news though, although im suprised the XA1 picked up the award as opposed to the A1, as i understand the differences between the XA1 and A1 are the price and looks? is there anything else?

its the XA2 that has the Reon chip, not the XA1 (i assume thats a typo in your link?)

good news though, although im suprised the XA1 picked up the award as opposed to the A1, as i understand the differences between the XA1 and A1 are the price and looks? is there anything else?

the link posted says its the XA2 with the HQV. Anyways whatever the XA1 has on board is whats won it the product of the year award.

main difference between XA1 and A1 I know of DG is yes looks and styling, the powered door of the XA1 plus the back lit remote on the XA1 - which I could not do without, a very nice remote I think.

main difference between XA1 and A1 I know of DG is yes looks and styling, the powered door of the XA1 plus the back lit remote on the XA1 - which I could not do without, a very nice remote I think.

I Have the A1 (same electronics) and im not surprised it has won this award, the PQ & SQ is astonishing on all formats!

I bought my A1 with the sole intention of playing HD DVD's and I now also use it for all R1 DVD's, all my audio CD's and all my DVD-Audio discs instead of my Denon 2910 (which is an excellent player).

The only thing I don't like about it is the non back-lit remote - in low light levels it is impossible to read the labels, thankfully I have an MX-850 universal remote. :blink:

I Have the A1 (same electronics) and im not surprised it has won this award, the PQ & SQ is astonishing on all formats!

I bought my A1 with the sole intention of playing HD DVD's and I now also use it for all R1 DVD's, all my audio CD's and all my DVD-Audio discs instead of my Denon 2910 (which is an excellent player).

The only thing I don't like about it is the non back-lit remote - in low light levels it is impossible to read the labels, thankfully I have an MX-850 universal remote. :blink:

i didnt think any of the HD-DVD players played DVD-A? (or SACD)

dont answer that, just tried it (over HDMI) and it worked on the DD, DTS and advanced resolution stereo tracks.

dont answer that, just tried it (over HDMI) and it worked on the DD, DTS and advanced resolution stereo tracks.

SACD is not supported, but as you have just discovered, DVD-A works perfectly - I think the "it doesn't do DVD-A" rumor has been spread by the "it's BluRay or death" crowd. :blink:

SACD is not supported, but as you have just discovered, DVD-A works perfectly - I think the "it doesn't do DVD-A" rumor has been spread by the "it's BluRay or death" crowd. :blink:

indeed, i always thought it wasnt supported as its not listed as a compatible format on the website. i never bothered to try due to using my pioneer 989 for DVD-A/SACD - but there you go!

indeed, i always thought it wasnt supported as its not listed as a compatible format on the website. i never bothered to try due to using my pioneer 989 for DVD-A/SACD - but there you go!

I know what you mean, my Denon 2910 has now been relegated to PAL DVD & SACD Playback. :blink:

I know what you mean, my Denon 2910 has now been relegated to PAL DVD & SACD Playback. :blink:

lol absolutely, although im actually about ready to pull-out of SACD & DVD-A, which will relegate my 989 to PAL DVD duties (of which i watch maybe 1 per month since getting my HD-A1). its fast turning into a waste of rack space!

lol absolutely, although im actually about ready to pull-out of SACD & DVD-A, which will relegate my 989 to PAL DVD duties (of which i watch maybe 1 per month since getting my HD-A1). its fast turning into a waste of rack space!

DG ;I notice you list dd;dts and 24/96 stereo for dvd audio.I too have a 989 and from what djos' has said could you confirm multi channel dvd audio as well? Have wondered about this since that Earth wind and fire disc was released :blink:

DG ;I notice you list dd;dts and 24/96 stereo for dvd audio.I too have a 989 and from what djos' has said could you confirm multi channel dvd audio as well? Have wondered about this since that Earth wind and fire disc was released :blink:

edit: moved to HERE so as not to take this thread further off topic.

I have always been impressed with Toshiba products.. I had a Toshiba laptop for a number of years..

speaking of brands

I rank it with JVC and Sony

Like the Sony and JVC pressings, the Toshiba pressings in Japan are of a high standard.

Didn't Toshiba develop the micro SD "flash" memory card?

CM, I never really been impressed with Sanyo.. :blink:

Monitored Thread

You have reached the maximum limit for the number of replies allowed at this time. Please check back later.