IGNORED

Help Needed: Going Digital In New House

Monitored Thread

You have reached the maximum limit for the number of replies allowed at this time. Please check back later.

My parents are building a huge new house in Central Western NSW, and I'm trying to find out what they need to wire up the whole house for digital TV. The plan is to somehow split the signal and run antenna cables into all the bedrooms and living areas for use on DTVs, but I'm a little confused after reading articles about MATV systems in apartment buildings.

I'm trying to compile a list of all the things needed, but I wouldn't know where to start.

Thanks in advance.

Chris.

cw,

Ensure your parent's sparky runs RG6Q cables from each outlet required, to the loft area of the house. If they anticipate Fox/Austar, ask the sparky to run 3 (three) additional cables to the area where they anticipate having their main entertainment unit and Pay receiver. Two of these will be "feeds" from the dish. The other one will be to feed the RF output from the Fox receiver back to the input of the distribution system to feed all other outlets.

Then ask an experienced antenna installer to install a suitable antenna and connect the system together.

It is better to have all these cables installed before the lingings are fitted, because it may be impossible after the house is finished.

Regards

lesf

Lesftv has detailed essentailly what you require, however I would recommend that you run not one but two cables from each bedroom/family room to a central location, and four cables to the main entertainment area. Reason being, in future we are going to have PVR (ala Foxtel IQ) as the norm in PayTV situations (SkyUK only supply PVRs as from next month, no more basic STB;s) so you should plan on needing dual polarity Lband distribution throughout your home plus a terrestial feed and RF back feed from a PayTV box. All these cables should go to a central cupboard ideally in the Garage assuming you have a built in garage.

Further to that you should run Two Cat5e or Cat6 cables to each phone point (one for phone other for Lan) and ensure you run two Cat5e/6 cables to the main entertainment area as fox require a phone line, and as sure as eggs those IPTV things will appear in the shops soon, so a ethernet connection to a broadband service will be needed. Again all these cable must run directly back to the central cupboard where the phone circuits can be centrally termianted to a ADSL filter and all Lan cables can connect to a router/switch. I normallly install a 24port Cat5e/6 patch panel to handle all the circuits both phone and ethernet, its tidy and versitile.

Ensure power is run to the central cupboard to drive Lband switches, ADSL modems/routers etc etc.

Finally have an antenna installer install a suitable antenna and cable it to the central cupboard for distribution, and ensure that in future two cables can be readily run from the central cupboard to a logical dish site, you may even concider running those cables now and leaving them carefully coiled in the roof space (you need two for the dish although Foxtel recommend 4). A good installer should be able to advise on all the above details aswell.

This may all seem a lot of cable, but in reality it adds only a modest amount to the total wiring cost of a home, and a miniscule amount to the total house build. The cost of adding just one of these cables in 2-5-10yrs time will well exceed any total cost now, let alone the damage and distruption it makes.

Cyril

I'm kind of loosely in a similar situation. I'm looking to split the wall outlet antenna connection between a TV tuner and a analog Tv. The wall outlet has a socket similar to the socket for the TV or TV tuner. I have read in this forum that the best cables are quad shielded with F connectors and the best splitters are F type. My problem is that because the wall outlet is not F type how do I go about connecting a F type splitter to the wall outlet, do I need to buy some sort of adaptor? How do I connect the F type cable to my TV or TV tuner? My other problem is that I have no experience in these matters and don't know what crimping is so don't have a crimping tool.

I'm thinking of just getting something easy to install such as these 2 products:

http://www.dse.com.au/cgi-bin/dse.storefro...duct/View/L4272

http://www.dse.com.au/cgi-bin/dse.storefro...duct/View/L4271

But I have no idea if the cable is quad shielded, I doubt it is. I also don't know whether the splitter is good but since its not F type i guess its not good.

I also heard somewhere that it is better to get a active splitter, what is the difference between an active splitter and passive splitter? How do you know whether the splitter is active or passive?

Can someone suggest some products with pictures of what I should get so I can get an idea of what I need to buy? Along with with approximate prices so I don't get ripped off. A short explanation of how to put it all together would be great. Is it possible to get premade quad shielded cables like the cable I was looking into above because I have no idea how to join the metal sticking out at the end of the cable to a Tv or TV tuner. http://www.dse.com.au/cgi-bin/dse.storefro...duct/View/W2087

For some reason I can't start a new thread.

cwhast,

Read Get the Best Reception, Regional NSW and read the links. You should also look at that strand for others in your area. Ie NSW regional areas.

You should use F connectors on the cables and F connector splitters rather than those on the links. If you have weak signals you or lots of outlets, you should use a distribution amplifier to overcome the losses of splitting and long cables.

helms,

The reason you cannot start new topics is that you have to make 10 posts first. This is to stop people advertising through this site.

I suggest you stop advising others when there is much more knowledge on this site.

Start with Go to the Geographic Viewers’ Forum, which is near the bottom of the main forum’s home page. Select your region and read the pinned post “Get the Best Reception”. Please post any further correspondence in this strand for all in your region to see. I will see it anyway. You could also search your location in that strand for others in your area. Look at all the links in that post for a start.

AlanH

I suggest you stop advising others when there is much more knowledge on this site.

Um I'm kind of confused here, I'm not advising anyone. I'm looking for help.

I had no idea that it was more appropriate to post in the geograhic viewers forums for help rather than this subforum. Reading the posts in this subforum, it seemed appropriate to post in this subforum since lots of posts in this subforum talk about coaxial cables and what connectors to use. I skim read the stikied thread before i posted my question because of other reasons not related to this question and all it seemed to talk about was antennas and my question is not about antennas. After reskimming it now it does mention using quad shielded cables and F connectors but if you read my question. My question is very specific.

The reason that I stated that I could not start a new thread was so people would know the reason why I am hijacking this thread with my question. I was also hoping a mod would cut my posts and put my posts in a new thread.

Judging by your rude comment quoted above it seems no one wants to help me out, guess I'll take the plunge and get whatever I can from the electronics store. Your comment was uncalled for, If you paid attention to my previous post you would understand that i am completely clueless and new to this. My first time posting on this forum and i've been made to feel like i'm unwelcome. It seems you had a hard days work or something and had to release your anger somewhere. I do realize that you are doing a great service helping lots of people out by sharing your knowledge here for free. It still doesn't stop me from feeling you are verbally attacking me and I feel the need to respond with this verbal attack of my own.

Helms, I think Alan got his commnet and posters names back to front, his comments to you are in the first two paragraphs under the original posters name.

Ideally you should use Fconnectors and RG6, quad shield is good but only if you have very weak signals and local interference issues, otherwise double shield is fine.

How far are the leads you will be creating after the split. What cable is in the wall currently, RG59 or RG6 or unknown. The splitter shown would be ok if the signal you currently recieving is good and you are only wanting to run 1-2meter runs from the splitter. However using a plastic cased splitter with Belinglee/PAL connectors will be more prone interference which can cause issues with low level digital signals.

An active splitter is essentially an amplifier followed by a splitter, a two way splitter has 3-4dB of loss, so by preceeding the splitter with some gain (say 10-12dB) overcomes that loss and boosts the signal as well, if you are splitting 4 or more ways then an active splitter is a must. Again if you already have a good signal level you most likely dont need a active splitter.

A crimp tool and crimped on F connectors are the best way to go, however you can use screw on F connectors as long as they are put on correctly and are installed in situations where no mechanical load is placed on the cables or connectors. DSE L0164 for screw on connectors, W2087 for Quad shield, and standard single sheild is W2084, in most instances the latter is fine. L4221 is a suitable splitter. P2025 will be needed to adapt an F connector to your TV.

All the above assumes that the signal that currently arrives at the point you are going to split has good signal levels and acheives good BER.

Cyril

Thanks for your reply.

Well I already have 1 cable don't know its quality but its around 1m with the PAL connecters that you can plug directly to the tv. The new cable that im going to get needs to be around 10m. I don't know what the cable in the wall is.

So to set it all up with the products you listed I would need to use (P2025) to adapt the wall socket to the splitter (L4221) then another (P2025) to adapt 1 end of the splitter so I can connect the existing cable to the splitter. For the new cable i'm getting I will need to use a F connector (L0164) for both ends of the quad shielded cable (W2087) then connect 1 end to the splitter and for the other end i will need to connect another (P2025) on top of the F connector (L0164).

Is it possible to use PAL connectors directly without F connectors? If you can, do PAL connectors give more interference? If i'm using (P2025) to adapt a F connecter would it still have the same interference as using a PAL connector directly?

How do I know if a quad shielded cable is good quality or not from the specs? I've read in these forums that you can get quad shielded cables that are more susceptible to interference than double shielded. I'm probably not going to buy from DSE, im just using DSE as a reference for pictures and prices. I'm buying from any electronics store which is close to my home. Another question are metal splitters better than plastic splitters?

Well I've already tested my reception from the wall outlet using the 1m cable I already have with a TV tuner and I can get all the channels with no problems. So my reception shouldn't be a problem, should it? I don't know how much the signal will deteriorate using the splitter to split the signal but i'm thinking it won't deteriorate enough to give me issues with the TV tuner connected using a 10m quad shielded cable.

I don't know but i might need another connection to the outdoor antenna later on when they stop analog broadcast so should I buy a 4 way splitter or 3 way splitter if 3 way splitters exist? If I buy a 3 or 4 way splitter now the other 2 or 3 connections will remain empty. I'm guessing the splitter will still split the signal equally even if nothing is connected to some of the connections, correct me if i'm wrong.

I don't know whether to start another thread in the Sydney viewers forums or not but since you replied here.

You can get PAL connectors that attach in a similar manner to F connectors, however only in crimp form.

I light of your current setup, I would attempt to put an F connector on the wall plate and get rid of the current PAL wall plate.

As for cable, I would not get too concerned with this or that, you may find it easier to use a double shield (1x allow foil, 1x braid) simply because the screw on connectors are hard to put on Quad sheild due to its increased outer thickness. In 90% of domestic situations the duo sheild is fine.

Yes you can get 3, 4, 5, 6 and 8way splitter, but the losses go up with the more splits.

Purhaps once analog is shut off (or why not just buy an extra STB and go fully digital today) you could look at replacing your antenna and running a clean RG6 feed to the splitter. Your current antenna most likely recieves BandI channels that are not needed (and can cause issues to digital transmissions). As Alan has pointed out, check out the recommended details in the Sydney viewers forum.

Cyril

I read that the electronics store might connect the connector to the cable for you, if this is the case is it better to use PAL connectors directly or use F connectors with a PAL adaptor? Would they give exactly the same interference?

Are metal splitters better than plastic splitters?

Do splitters split the signal equally regardless of whether something is connected or not? If I buy a 3 way splitter will it split the signal equally 3 ways even if I only use 2 connections?

I live in a unit/apartment, so I don't think I can do anything about the antenna, It seems to work pretty well.

To replace the wall plate do I just take off the PAL connector and connect something like (L0164) to the cable in the wall?

Monitored Thread

You have reached the maximum limit for the number of replies allowed at this time. Please check back later.