Hitachi 42PD8900TA

That's great news about the firmware GP11! Where will it be available from and how would one go about implementing a firmware upgrade? Do you have a direct link to the AV Forum thread? Thanks

Colvs

Hi.. didn't see you there colvs I've been watching the cricket :blink:

If you read the last few pages of this link.AV Forum 9700

They seem to be getting on top of the flickering problems.

As to finding out more info here in Aus.. I'd ring the Hitachi technical help line.

1800 448 2244 they have always been more than helpful with my queries. particularly before I purchased.

BTW 'touch wood' I don't have any of those problems.. so apart from getting a calibration for PQ now that I have it run in, I'm happy as shat with mine. :D

I wrote down the settings the 8900 on display at JBs today.

Ok there was lots of lighting around.. but they had all the artifacts turned on to middle or normal..

Picture = Dynamic

Contrast = +32 :P

Brightness =0

Colour = +6

Sharp = +5

Tint = 0

temp = cool

Cont Mode = Dynamic

Pretty drastic stuff.. but I guess for shop conditions.. hehehe

The thing is.. as far as picture clarity.. it was noticeably better than Pana / Pio.. LG.. each side of it..

I tried it at home... Whoooa!!!.... tooo much.. I like my pic more subdued and natural..

• Replies 479
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks GP11.

Just tried the contrast and brightness settings recommended in the AV Forum thread. Can't say its made much difference. Will call Hitachi tomorrow for more info on the firmware fix. Anyone used a THX calibration disk on this model with any success?

Thanks GP11.

Just tried the contrast and brightness settings recommended in the AV Forum thread. Can't say its made much difference. Will call Hitachi tomorrow for more info on the firmware fix. Anyone used a THX calibration disk on this model with any success?

....these are the settings from the Av forum 9700 thread that may help stop the luminance bounce for those interested

...I'll give them a try the next time I see a bounce

......Menu - Function - Luminance Manager - off

Menu - Function - ECO Mode - off

Picture Mode = Normal

Contrast = +3

Brightness = +3

Color = 0

Sharpness = +3

Tint = 0

Color Temperature = Normal

Contrast Mode = Normal

YNR = Low

CNR = Low

Film Mode = Off

3D Comb Filter = Off(grayed out)

LTI = off

CTI = 0ff

Black Enhancement = Low

Auto Color = Off(grayed out)

Default zone= Panoramic

......mmm I've minimised the bounce by crushing the blacks a little with the brightness with "C" around 0 & "B" @ or around -4

..... I have heard of the soft ware up grade from the guys in england..it comes on an sd card & is self loading

..... I haven't been game to change the 3 lines in the service menu as it was only for the 9700 ( by changing the lines 829,830 & 831 from 0 to 1) but the hour usage line has been proved to be the same when compairing the 9700 to the 8900 & there are different service setting changes again for the 8800 for the luminance bounce

.....let us know what hitachi says

.....I've noticed no bounce on my HD box so far.. dvi-hdmi..but bounce on my dvd 1080i upscaler via component (I've thought about runnning the dvd via hdmi as this may be a fix but haven't bought the cable yet) & my 2 sd pvrs via s-video & component also have bounce

.....I would so like to fix this so any new info would be greatly appreciated

.............. :blink: --ThisIsAllToMuchFun-- :D ..........

Thanks GP11.

I have the 8900 & have used the THX Monsters Inc DVD to adjust the colors....Looks natural.....

here are the settings...

contrast +3

Brightness 0

Colour -8

Sharpness 1

Just saw a 9500 model Hitachi at JB for $1900. The specs on their site say its 1024x1080. That's an unbelievable price for a 1080 line plasma!! I paid $3000 for an 8900 not 2 months ago.

you are quite right saw it at jb today. $1999 it was not sure the model but it was all black, 1024x1080, twin hdmi but no more power swivel and made in japan.

that is an outstandign price for a hitachi plasma, perhaps a bit stripped back from the 8800 & 8900 for features but man I can see so many grabbing it up. why oh why would you buy a SD plasma at this sort of pricing.

amazing it was only 2 or so years ago a 76cm pana or sony crt TV was $1999 or more.

Well, spoke to a Hitachi tech yesterday about the brightness flicker. All he could suggest was to adjust the Black Enhancement to 'Middle' or 'High' He knew nothing of any new firmware. He said if the problem still persisted to contact their local service agent who could do a site visit.

Well, spoke to a Hitachi tech yesterday about the brightness flicker. All he could suggest was to adjust the Black Enhancement to 'Middle' or 'High' He knew nothing of any new firmware. He said if the problem still persisted to contact their local service agent who could do a site visit.

.....Well that's more news I suppose thanx again for the info colvs but not what we really needed to know but I'll try the method he suggests as well as the +3B...+3C I posted earlier from the AV forum & report back :blink:

(this could take a while as I hire all my dvds & the 2 pgm's with the black flicker that was recorded on the 2 pvr's are now deleted)

....it would of been nice to have the service setting changes comfirmed re: the 9700 equaling the 8900

...on my next days off I'll ring them as well

.... :D Kim :P ...........

I think this is the well documented "feature", check this thread

Hope this is it.

I think this is the well documented "feature", check this thread

Hope this is it.

.....yes that's the one... as well as the other links from the usa & england that I've posted earlier

U.K.

http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread....ht=hitachi+9700

&

U.S.A.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=715147)

...Kim :blink:

Edited by --ThisIsAllToMuchFun--

Ok guys, I'm very happy to report that I have taken the plunge and changed the service menu settings as per the 9700 UK AV Forum, and I'm watching Underworld with absolutely no sign of 'the bounce'!! The real test will be Supernatural on Monday night, as this is where I noticed it most in the past. So don't hesitate to change these settings. It works!

Now I really believe I've purchased one of the best panels around!

Edit : Just 100% confirmed it by watching the opening scenes from "Heroes". The brightness bounce was painfully obvious before the changes, now it is all but gone.

Ok guys, I'm very happy to report that I have taken the plunge and changed the service menu settings as per the 9700 UK AV Forum, and I'm watching Underworld with absolutely no sign of 'the bounce'!! The real test will be Supernatural on Monday night, as this is where I noticed it most in the past. So don't hesitate to change these settings. It works!

......thanx for taking the plunge & experimenting by changing the settings your a brave man :D

.....did you see bounce on underworld before? :ph34r:

..... when my next hired dvd has bounce I'll do the same & report back my findings :blink:

......if you have time I'd be interested in your pic setting for you dvd & hd box

.... thanx again colvs.... :P kim :P ...

Come on colvs... you always believed that.. :P

Good news about the service menu settings..Hope it takes.. and is the FIX..

Guess we can be sure now, that the 9700 and 8900 DO have the same s/menus.

Colvs, if you get a moment could you post your Pic settings etc.. I think you said your panel is 4-5 months old, so it's nicely run in.

I keep changing my settings and --ThisIsAllToMuchFun-- settings sure have been a great help..

I'm a wuz.... :D I'm waiting for an IFS calibrator to come work mine over.. but it wont be for another a month... he's on Maternity leave.. :P

EDIT... haha.. didn't see your post Kim.. :blink:

To be honest I hadn't watched Underworld before the changes, just thought that being a mostly dark movie that it would show up there if it was going to at all. The Heroes test was a definite success though, it was very present before the change and non existent afterwards

My settings are as follows :

DVD (via component) / HDTV (DVI-HDMI)

Pic Mode Natural / Natural

Contrast +2 / +1

Brightness +1 / +1

Color -16 / -13

Sharpness -3 / -5

Tint 0 / 0

Col. Temp Cool / Cool

Contrast mode Normal / Normal

YNR Low / Low

CNR Low / Low

LTI Low / Low

CTI Low / Low

Black Enhance Low / Low

My panel's just coming up on 200 hours

What's the consensus on upscaling DVD players with this screen guys? Is there a noticable difference with 1080i over 576p? I've been contemplating an upscaler since buying the panel, but a lot on the 9700 forum reckon the panel's scaling abilities are amazing anyway.

What's the consensus on upscaling DVD players with this screen guys? Is there a noticable difference with 1080i over 576p? I've been contemplating an upscaler since buying the panel, but a lot on the 9700 forum reckon the panel's scaling abilities are amazing anyway.

Depends what you trust to do the scaling....If I had a $100 cheapie LG upscaling DVD player then I would probably output 576i and let the panel do everything but if you invest in a moderately well built DVD player then sure let the player do the job. The only way to find out is th try it out on both modes and see what is best to your eyes.

Philip

To be honest I hadn't watched Underworld before the changes, just thought that being a mostly dark movie that it would show up there if it was going to at all. The Heroes test was a definite success though, it was very present before the change and non existent afterwards

My settings are as follows :.....

....My panel's just coming up on 200 hours

......Thanx again for the info about the settings Colvs they are very close to mine +or- 2 for C & B with all the other setings off but black enhancement to low & eco mode on to control the bright whites I may well turn eco off in the future (eco has no effect on the bounce as it will occur with it on or off but I sometimes notice a slight red push on white screens which have a slight pink tinge in the whites using my 2 analogue connected sd pvrs ) & I'm using dymamic so I can disable film mode

...did the service mod chance any of your pic presets or did it leave them un-altered

.......I do hope this is the fix for those that have the black bounce we were all looking for & keep us updated

if you can .... I hope that you don't see it again ...(I'll do the same when I see the bounce but as it doesn't happen all the time I'll have to wait for the next hired dvd to do the tests)

......I've got an lg up-scaler dvd $140 (the slot loader LG DF9921P DVD PLAYER ) & I've always run it @ 1080i via component & am very happy with the pic.. It is close to the hd images I see on the teac 800 hdstb via dvi-hdmi

....I'll switch it back to 576i this week end & post my findings but really this is a low end player & I'm sure that the better dvd players would always give better results in any resolution..where is that lotto win when you need it...I'll have to buy a ticket first I guess :P

...the pana s97 would be my pic if you can find one....

................ :blink: --ThisIsAllToMuchFun-- :D ..........

Kim

The service menu changes didn't alter any of my pic settings, although my settings are always changing as my need to fiddle and tweak is never satisfied! So far I have seen absolutely no sign of the bounce, watching 24 last night and also DVD's of Lost which both have plenty of dark scenes. I think it's safe to say that the problem has been eradicated on my panel, but some on the UK forum still seem to have the problem after the service changes. Good luck when/if you try the changes, I'm sure it will do the job. I can't wipe the huge smile off my face when I sit down to watch this amazing panel now!! :blink:

The service menu changes didn't alter any of my pic settings, although my settings are always changing as my need to fiddle and tweak is never satisfied! So far I have seen absolutely no sign of the bounce, watching 24 last night and also DVD's of Lost which both have plenty of dark scenes. I think it's safe to say that the problem has been eradicated on my panel, but some on the UK forum still seem to have the problem after the service changes. Good luck when/if you try the changes, I'm sure it will do the job. I can't wipe the huge smile off my face when I sit down to watch this amazing panel now!! :D

.........although my settings are always changing as my need to fiddle and tweak is never satisfied!

......Heh Heh Heh Heh ....mmm my partner says I spend more time looking a the screen menu than watching the video display...she's got me so scared now & I only do it when she is not around Heh Heh

...so if as you said the lost dvd had bounce & now it gone that's very positive news

....I hope I will be able to post the same results after my testing as well...maybe some bounce is encoded on some dvd's as well....this may or may not be true

...But some testing I've done with my other smaller 1080i native lcd showed no bounce on the same dvd movie with my second LG DF9921P dvd player again connected by component @1080i

.....Thanx again 'colvs' :P

.....................Kim :blink: ....& I do still like this display

Hi people,

I've been lurking in this thread & the Panasonic pricelist one for awhile now, gathering information for a purchase I'll be making soon. I think I've decided on a Hitachi - I saw the 960DTA at JB Kotara (Newcastle) sitting on the shelf between a Panasonic 42PX600A & the latest Pioneer 42incher, all of them showing the SC10 HD test broadcast. The level of detail in the background of the Hitachi was far superior & very impressive. Things like leaves on gumtrees in the middle-distance that were just a smudge of green on the other 2 TVs were far better resolved on the Hitachi.

But of course, before I spend the money I have some questions...

I have an LG HD dvb-t harddrive recorder so I don't necessarily need a built-in digital tuner. Are the 8900's still available? Are they significantly cheaper? Is the 960 better for reasons other than its built-in tuner? If they were both available from the same place, how much extra would you pay for the 960 over the 8900?

What's a good price for the 960 & 8900 - in NSW generally or Newcastle, particularly? The sticker price at JB Kotara was $2890. They also had another Hitachi ALiS panel for $1999 but the picture quality didn't impress. If there's anyone reading this from Newcastle, where else other than JB should i look? Domayne only had the 55 incher, Good Guys had no Hitachi at all...

Your answers or any comments will be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Hi people,

I've been lurking in this thread & the Panasonic pricelist one for awhile now, gathering information for a purchase I'll be making soon. I think I've decided on a Hitachi - I saw the 960DTA at JB Kotara (Newcastle) sitting on the shelf between a Panasonic 42PX600A & the latest Pioneer 42incher, all of them showing the SC10 HD test broadcast. The level of detail in the background of the Hitachi was far superior & very impressive. Things like leaves on gumtrees in the middle-distance that were just a smudge of green on the other 2 TVs were far better resolved on the Hitachi.

But of course, before I spend the money I have some questions...

I have an LG HD dvb-t harddrive recorder so I don't necessarily need a built-in digital tuner. Are the 8900's still available? Are they significantly cheaper? Is the 960 better for reasons other than its built-in tuner? If they were both available from the same place, how much extra would you pay for the 960 over the 8900?

What's a good price for the 960 & 8900 - in NSW generally or Newcastle, particularly? The sticker price at JB Kotara was $2890. They also had another Hitachi ALiS panel for $1999 but the picture quality didn't impress. If there's anyone reading this from Newcastle, where else other than JB should i look? Domayne only had the 55 incher, Good Guys had no Hitachi at all...

Your answers or any comments will be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Hard to tell what's going on from the Hitachi website . .... there is two different Australian ones with different products but from experience it seem seems the 960 is still a "downgraded" 8900 with an inbuilt HD tuner. Hitachi have to do this to compete with the likes of Panasonic. The RRP of the 960 is less than the 8900. There is no doubt the 960 is the current model and the 8900 is the superceded model but with alot of these things that doesn't necessarily mean better.. The processing behing the panel is very much as important as the panel itself. For example the 9500 would seem to have the same 1080*1024 ALiS panel but as you say the picture quality is not the same (nor are the specs). My advice as you have the LG is try and pick up the 8900 at a "going out" model price

Philip

Just a quick update. After extensive viewing of both HDTV and DVD's (particularly Lost Season 1) over the past few days, I can say that the luminance bounce has all but disappeared after making the service menu changes. For those who are noticing it, I suggest to make the changes. You'll be wrapped with the result!

Just a quick update. After extensive viewing of both HDTV and DVD's (particularly Lost Season 1) over the past few days, I can say that the luminance bounce has all but disappeared after making the service menu changes. For those who are noticing it, I suggest to make the changes. You'll be wrapped with the result!

has anyone got opinions on the 9500

has anyone got opinions on the 9500

Jason read right through it seems the 9500 is not up to the standard of prevoius Hitachi panels. IMO the panasonic is a better set PQ wise, but between the 8900 and panasonics there doesnt seem to be anything.