Here's my experience for what it's worth....

I had no interest in this LCD. It doesnt have a number of features I consider mandatory for me such as built in digital tuner, the ability to eventually run properly from a HTPC (apparently this will be difficult with this set and it will be at a suboptimal resolution) etc etc. So it wasnt even on my list and I just intended to walk past it when I approached it at Domayne in West Gosford. However, as soon as it caught my eye I couldnt look away. The picture was utterly beautiful - and I havent thought that about any other screen I've seen, despite having seen PLENTY lately (almost all are fantastic compared to my little 18yo 48cm telly though). I stayed and watched it and fiddled with it for about half an hour. The ambilight seemed like it should have been gimmicky but instead it was just fantastic and turning it off and on and playing with the colours of it really emphasised how effective it was. Compared to every other telly there (including an old series Bravia V, a Hitachi 1024x1080 plasma, the panasonic plasmas and a 1920x1080 LCD (cant remember which)) it was just mesmerising.

I left and found myself thinking about it more and more. I didnt want to. I wanted to hate it because it doesnt fit with what I want. I had pretty much decided that if the Bravia X was as good 'in the flesh' (so to speak) as it sounded on paper and in reviews, then that would be it. But this bugger of a Philips has thrown a fly in the ointment. So I dragged my partner down a week or so later and he loved it too. We watched for another half an hour (the only other telly he really liked was that old Bravia V, but not as much as the Philips). Even though he had expected the ambilight to be stupid when I described it at home beforehand, he too had to eat his words. I wanted him to not like this set so I could have an excuse to forget it - but now we're stuck both really liking a telly that may or may not be suitable for us. And liking the picture and the overall-telly-experience should probably really be the most important thing as everyone seems to say. Bugger !!!

I need to test it more with more sources and I still need to see the Bravia X (and the new Sharps if they come out in time) but I'm confused now (just when I'd gotten over the confusion of eliminating all other sets from my list). If it had had the digital tuner and wireless and ethernet they gave it overseas I think it would be the one for me. I'm going to email and ask if they will ever release a version like that but I probably wont get a response or I'll get a noncommittal one or a negative one (after all, they could have done it this time around dammit). I think I saw a post somewhere in the forum where people were suggesting that enough tweaking will get the HTPC working at the native resolution with no overscan, so I'll try to confirm that to eliminate it as a factor (except that the Bravia X is 1920x1080 for both TV and PC.....)

Anyway, that's the experience of someone who has nothing to gain from praising this telly and who actually wants to dislike it but just cant help loving it. I dont care if others like it or dont like it but maybe my very unbiased opinion (not saying that others are biased) is of some use to someone.

Anna

• Replies 297
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here's my experience for what it's worth....

I had no interest in this LCD. It doesnt have a number of features I consider mandatory for me such as built in digital tuner, the ability to eventually run properly from a HTPC (apparently this will be difficult with this set and it will be at a suboptimal resolution) etc etc. So it wasnt even on my list and I just intended to walk past it when I approached it at Domayne in West Gosford. However, as soon as it caught my eye I couldnt look away. The picture was utterly beautiful - and I havent thought that about any other screen I've seen, despite having seen PLENTY lately (almost all are fantastic compared to my little 18yo 48cm telly though). I stayed and watched it and fiddled with it for about half an hour. The ambilight seemed like it should have been gimmicky but instead it was just fantastic and turning it off and on and playing with the colours of it really emphasised how effective it was. Compared to every other telly there (including an old series Bravia V, a Hitachi 1024x1080 plasma, the panasonic plasmas and a 1920x1080 LCD (cant remember which)) it was just mesmerising.

I left and found myself thinking about it more and more. I didnt want to. I wanted to hate it because it doesnt fit with what I want. I had pretty much decided that if the Bravia X was as good 'in the flesh' (so to speak) as it sounded on paper and in reviews, then that would be it. But this bugger of a Philips has thrown a fly in the ointment. So I dragged my partner down a week or so later and he loved it too. We watched for another half an hour (the only other telly he really liked was that old Bravia V, but not as much as the Philips). Even though he had expected the ambilight to be stupid when I described it at home beforehand, he too had to eat his words. I wanted him to not like this set so I could have an excuse to forget it - but now we're stuck both really liking a telly that may or may not be suitable for us. And liking the picture and the overall-telly-experience should probably really be the most important thing as everyone seems to say. Bugger !!!

I need to test it more with more sources and I still need to see the Bravia X (and the new Sharps if they come out in time) but I'm confused now (just when I'd gotten over the confusion of eliminating all other sets from my list). If it had had the digital tuner and wireless and ethernet they gave it overseas I think it would be the one for me. I'm going to email and ask if they will ever release a version like that but I probably wont get a response or I'll get a noncommittal one or a negative one (after all, they could have done it this time around dammit). I think I saw a post somewhere in the forum where people were suggesting that enough tweaking will get the HTPC working at the native resolution with no overscan, so I'll try to confirm that to eliminate it as a factor (except that the Bravia X is 1920x1080 for both TV and PC.....)

Anyway, that's the experience of someone who has nothing to gain from praising this telly and who actually wants to dislike it but just cant help loving it. I dont care if others like it or dont like it but maybe my very unbiased opinion (not saying that others are biased) is of some use to someone.

Anna

Anna,

I phoned Philips sales today and spoke to a lady that sounded remarkably like an Indian call centre employee. The hesitations in her answers while she checked stuff on her computer indicated to me that she didn't know her stuff and had to look it up.

Anyway, I specifically asked if the 42" 9831D (digital tuner + ethernet connectivity) would be available in Australia. The answer... NO. Why is that I asked when the folks in the UK get the real deal. No sensible answer was forthcoming. I cannot understand why this is the case. As the price is so high, you would expect all the bells and whistles.

However, she did say that a new TV is due for release in December. I don't have the model number with me but I'll edit this post or follow up sometime tomorrow. I did a little web search and there's no real info on what it will be. I'm guessing they'll see how the new Sony V is going and pitch it slightly below to try pinch some sales.

Fudge

Anna,

Must confess it drew me in too, like a moth to a candle.....just couldn't stop watching those pretty coloured lights......also dragged my partner over to look at it. But in the end I was strong, I told myself that it is not The One and left the store without looking back. The plastic stays in the pocket for a bit longer..... :blink:

Hi Anna,

I have to agree with you.

Philips still have an edge after all these years. Even though this panel has only 1366 x 768 pixels, its picture quality is breathtaking.

(I don't like to make negative remarks, and who knows how the various makes and models of panels might be connected in a showroom, and how the adjustments on them might be set, but the picture I saw on a nearby Sharp Aquos 1920 x 1080 looked washed out in comparison with the Philips.)

Cheers,

Constructive criticism is welcome, but all you are doing is showing a total lack of first hand experience with this unit !

To be fair I feel I am being constructive, however take my post as you will. I've spent months researching LCD tvs both on this forum and extensively in various stores - I am sorry to disappoint you, but I do have first hand experience with this set, as far as is possible playing in store.

There's no doubt the Philips produces a top-notch picture - but it's not without caveats. With the right source material it shines, but I can honestly state IN MY OPINION, there are other sets doing the rounds that cost significantly less and handle lower quality material much, much better.

If you disagree with me, that's fine - but I also don't see why I shouldn't be allowed to respond to The Jones's entirely over enthusiastic response to one negative review on Cnet.

I myself do ask myself as well when I see posts from people overtly pushing somethign and that is all they seem to post about somethig to bring attention to it and put down all other alternatives.

I couldn't agree more and there are members of this forum who no doubt do this.

I would like to point out that I personally didn't mention any competitors or alternatives to the Philips, I was merely commenting on my own personal experience evaluating the unit in my quest to find the perfect tv at the right price.

It does help to get a balanced view of things, and The Jones's constant over-the-top responses in regards to this set at times borders on propaganda. That said, he is most likely simply a very excited customer soon to take delivery of the Philips and best of luck to him.

If a reviewer covers the off-angle viewing why does it lose credibility???? Off-angle viewing is very important to me because not all the seating positions in the living room are directly in line with the tv - I'm sure many other have the same situation.

Just because a reviewer covers a facet that isn't of importance to you, suddenly means they lose credibility in your eyes? :blink:

I've had this TV for a few months now and I can say that the off angle viewing is fine. I usually stretch out on our other couch (which is off to the side) to watch the footy and have no problems with the picture.

cmcdonald,

Having a bad day are we ??

Wow, you sound like a disgruntled past Philips owner or possibly a competitor brand trying to steal Philips thunder. Try this tweak to improve its performance - Get your head out of your ass and you might get a better picture. Instead of relying on other forum members posts about its SD performance, look for yourself and you will notice it is one of the best performing LCD thus far.

I for one have seen this great LCD running at great length at my friends house and it just about shits on anything available thus far.

It kills me when people post comments to insight backlash on a thread that was initially started because of their interest in this LCD.

Constructive criticism is welcome, but all you are doing is showing a total lack of first hand experience with this unit !

Great post, true it is hard to see clearly with all of that constriction around the neck.

I've said this before (and I'll keep saying it), this TV is great. I've had it for 2 months now and love it.

I'm not one of those anal people who have to inspect every minute detail of something in the hope that it has one thing better than another, but I do my homework and this TV shone above the others for what I wanted. If you wait for the "one up" then you'll never buy anything - ever. I was a Sony Wega fan until I bought this set and won't look back, it's great.

And cmcdonald the Ambilight is NOT a gimmic. I thought it was when I first saw it, but now I won't do without it. The light appears to extend the viewing image beyond the TV.

It's great being able to watch a movie (or just TV) with all of the curtains open instead of closing it all off so it's as close to black as we could get it, there is as close to no reflection from the screen as you could ask for and looks great in full sunlight.

But I will say that even though the remote is shiny and sleek looking, it's a bit of a weird shape, but I don't really use it anyway. The PVR remote handles it all.

That's my ten cents worth. :ph34r:

Makes an already big tv look HUGE - takes up far too much room. I don't want my tv to be a piece of dominant furniture in the room. A gimmick.

Now you're reaching, who cares about the remote? If you're spending this much on a tv haven't you already got a programmable remote?

Too bad the Philips handles PC connections via DVI very poorly - can't achieve native resolution due to all the "ClearLCD" processing trickery.

From all my readings on this board, this set is terrible for SD material and only shines when fed HD (1080i or 720p) or well encoded DVD. IMO half the problem with this set is there are *far to many* options to fiddle with the picture which just makes setup a nightmare to get right.

I'll take a setup that is excellent out of the box thanks, not something that takes 1 year and 80days to get right (and then hope the wind blows in the right direction and the ambient light is of the correct lumens)

Again, on anything that isn't high definition or of the absolute highest quality dvd transfer, this panel trashes. Anybody buying this tv really needs to consider how much you're viewing what content. If the majority of your viewing is SD FTA and Foxtel with the occasional HD, then I would suggest looking elsewhere.

Couldn't agree more!

Hi Cmcdonald - Im not sure if you saw the Philips or a Teac! In response to your views knocking a fine panel from all respects, Im really surprised you bothered to make such comments when this panel can look so good! Damn good in fact!

Ok lets start at the beginning...

"Makes an already big tv look HUGE - takes up far too much room."

Get a bigger HOUSE. :P Just joking, but I just did actually. It will look great on the wall or table topped on a slimline cabinet. I think I'll build mine in solid timber.

"I don't want my tv to be a piece of dominant furniture in the room."

I have paintings on the other walls that are bigger - it will be very nice. Quite a style statement actually. Unique.

(ambilight) "...a gimmick."

What the ambilight? I thought so initially, but it really does aid the human perception of colour and contrast and makes the display feel a lot bigger after a while, more like a 50". Honest! :)

"Who cares about the remote? If you're spending this much on a TV haven't you already got a programmable remote?"

Well yes I do! ($300 Sony programable AVR3100). I do think a $6000 panel should come with a good feeling remote just for changing things here and there, like volume and channels. We seem to have two remotes in use and sometimes we have infrared channel fights between Idol and Beyond Tomorrow! (my 2 girls and a boy)... or someone forgets to kill the volume of the ads…and then I dont have to pass it over! (A man needs his own remote!) :P

"Too bad the Philips handles PC connections via DVI very poorly - can't achieve native resolution due to all the "ClearLCD" processing trickery.

Incorrect. ClearLCD is brilliant and is only for SD sources. You will see it is inactive when a HD signal is present and you can't turn it on in the menu, as it 'greys' out. As for resolution, it is a 42" panel and not 65" so at that size it’s really not a problem (for me). But even in small or average size room, unless you get up close and personal (eg <1.7m) would you see much, if any benefit, 1024 ->1366 pixels? No! See this link on Resolution and Viewing distance. 720p and 1080 resolution is "wasted" above a certain distance and panel size. I dont want to sit in front of my coffee table to find the difference you are complaining about! :blink:

Most 42" Plasmas are only 1024 and run fine on HTPC dont they? The Panasonic, Hitachi and Pioneer come to mind. Even higher res will best seen on a 100" projector or 50" or > panel.

From all my readings on this board, this set is terrible for SD material and only shines when fed HD (1080i or 720p) or well encoded DVD.

What! LOL.. Can you read? :) Maybe try the reviews again? SD (DVD) almost looks like HD on this panel when set up correctly. That’s what won it for me in the end.

IMO half the problem with this set is there are *far to many* options to fiddle with the picture which just makes setup a nightmare to get right.

I think you havent had a play, really I dont. Childs play. Turn everything ON except dynamic motion refered to in the reviews. I can fully adjust this panel now within 30 or so seconds without the remote as all controls are available from the side controls on the panel, so there is no excuse for not having a good fiddle in store. Middle button is menu, top button selects, second backs out of a menu. :P

I'll take a setup that is excellent out of the box thanks, not something that takes 1 year and 80days to get right (and then hope the wind blows in the right direction and the ambient light is of the correct lumens)

KMart might have something for you then, LOL,. HD panels have a lot of variables luckily to give good results in a range of environments. Every set has a sweet spot for a given environment. As above...

Again, on anything that isn't high definition or of the absolute highest quality dvd transfer, this panel trashes.

Have you heard the saying GIGO? DVD players vary so much, shame that. I first saw that looking at a fabulous Toshi 70 rear pro with a really bad DVD picture. When I enquired about the artifacts etc they changed the player to another and then I could finally see what that panel could do. (eg Why blame a high performance engine if it’s a fuel problem?) Some HDMI players are crap ones with HDMI plugs on the back.

During a demo I luckily found a cheap Sammy that was brilliant. But it did have a crappy remote control but I know that wont bother you… :)

Anybody buying this tv really needs to consider how much you're viewing what content.

Your best point. The amount of SD on FTA and the extensive DVD libraries we have built up require a display capable of quality SD reproduction as a minimum, essential requirement. That upscaling and processing requirement to 1366 pixels seems to be very difficult for most... and why this set is now my choice. :P

If the majority of your viewing is SD FTA and Foxtel with the occasional HD, then I would suggest looking elsewhere.

LOL... Slightly, err wrong!!! Your biggest misjudgement IMO. :D

Show me a current 40" + HD LCD with better SD reproduction and I will buy it.

Or I might even organise a group buy on it at the very least! :P

Cheers.

helps to have some views from both sides with anything.

I myself do ask myself as well when I see posts from people overtly pushing somethign and that is all they seem to post about somethig to bring attention to it and put down all other alternatives. straight away sends alarm bells in my mind, are they sjut overly enthusisatic, which is possible or do they have some hidden agenda/commercial interest :ph34r: again not saying this is the case for you cmcdonald not really followed your posts to comment.

Hi, you wouldnt believe the time I've put into my panel search. Since January I have been looking and reading and it has driven me mad. Paralysis through analysis someone said.

Then you wouldn't believe the time have put into the Group Buy. It has saved me $500 and I'm stoked. I wasn't goint to pay $5000 for this panel and I decided $4500 was right for me and a Sanyo Z4 projector is my next purchase (when the Z5 is released soon). By the way, thats where I saw the group buy idea actually, in the Z4 thread, but it was full payment before delivery. I didnt like that, so I have managed to negotiate COD and credit card option all off a $200 deposit. It causes me leg work to arrange, plus panels are on a 3 week wait now so it has been a bit of a hassle, but still worth it. But I have been glad to help others because that is how it has helped me.

As for the 9831 I feel a bit like I've found the (my) holy grail with this set - hence my enthusiasm - but thats my view and everyone needs to see what meets their needs. I know you love your Hitachi plasma and thats great. I just cant wait to get mine up on the wall. One week to go I hope!

I would like to point out that I personally didn't mention any competitors or alternatives to the Philips, I was merely commenting on my own personal experience evaluating the unit in my quest to find the perfect tv at the right price.

I dont have a problem if you want to say "hey but check this out, it kills it for reasons xxx and these are the settings you should check out. In fact thats what we really would like to hear. Critical detailed feedback on issues worth checking out for ourselves. If there is a better panel coming or here now, lets know about it! I have no brand loyalty, 12 years Panasonic 80cm and now going Philips and LCD at that, which does not have the name of say Sony. (I also bought a Ford when Holden was winning and look now...LOL). Store comparisons and evaluations are very hard work, due to all the variables, and I think its fair to say they will all look better at home.

By the way, I almost abandoned the Philips to wait for the 46X series Sony. But I didnt and now that I've seen it, I can't believe the amount of HD hype its generated, as this is unfortunately combined with (IMHO) very poor washed out & jaggy SD quality. IMO so bad I could not watch a current standard DVD on that panel from my library or video ezy (my wife even agreed it was bad), nor pay that money for that combination of Jekel and Hyde. I actually saw the X again tonight in Domain as its now in, and the 9831 easily beats it on 7's Today Tonight HD program in 576. Very soft and full of artifacts!

Maybe the Japanese dont have any SD over there anymore?

Cheers.

Hi guys (new around here, and a wonderful resource of info it looks too!)

Ive recently purchased one of these (waiting for it to be delivered) and am wondering what the best options I have for wiring this up. I'd post in the Foxtel forum but it won't let me start a new topic

The TV has the following;

Television: Philips 42PF9831

---------------------------

Ext1: Scart (Can handle CVBS, RGB, Audio L/R)

Ext2: Scart (CVBS, S-VIDEO, RGB, Audio L/R)

Ext3: YPbPr (is this component?)

Ext4: HDMI

Ext5: HDMI

Ext6: VGA

Other: S/PDIF in (Coaxial)

Front/Side Connectors: S-Video

Foxtel IQ

---------

Looks like every type of connector except HDMI

XBox 360

--------

Think I have to use the component input on the TV for this

DVD Player: Pioneer DV-535

--------------------------

Component

Coaxial digital output

S-Video

I was thinking about:

Ext1: Scart (21 pin thingy) - Foxtel IQ (TV Scart)

Ext2: Scart - DVD Player (Is it possible to get a convertor from the small s-video plug type connector to the big 21 pin?)

Ext3: YPbPr (Component) - XBox 360

Would I be better off dumping the DVD Player and getting something which has a HDMI type output?

Should I consider a digital settop box? I understand from reading these forums that Foxtel convert channel 7, 10 from analog to digital which can look horride on bigger screens.

Have looked at this set a couple of times now and I can't really see what people are getting so excited about. Maybe they weren't set up properly for optimal performance but I wasn't blown away.

Viewing angles werent great in that blacks went grayish very quickly when viewed of axis.

response times must be good as they handled movement quite well.

I was thinking about:

Ext1: Scart (21 pin thingy) - Foxtel IQ (TV Scart)

Ext2: Scart - DVD Player (Is it possible to get a convertor from the small s-video plug type connector to the big 21 pin?)

Ext3: YPbPr (Component) - XBox 360

Would I be better off dumping the DVD Player and getting something which has a HDMI type output?

Should I consider a digital settop box? I understand from reading these forums that Foxtel convert channel 7, 10 from analog to digital which can look horride on bigger screens.

On your Ext2:scart question, The TV comes with a scart to s-video converter in the box.

If you only watch foxtel digital then you don't need a STB, if you watch FTA then you need a box, i'm just using my topfield PVR which is only SD, and even it looks great on the Philips.

• 1 month later...

this thread has been dorment for awhile, thought i'd bring it back to life! Only for the simple reason that I saw the 32" version (32PF9531) tonight and was very impressed.. have only just started researching for a new TV, so i'm by no means an expert, but i'm definately a Philips fan now!! How much have people purchased/seen the 42P9831 priced at recently? I think the 32" model at HN was around the $2600 mark, so I may even go down this road if the 42" hasn't dropped to around $4k.

this thread has been dorment for awhile, thought i'd bring it back to life! Only for the simple reason that I saw the 32" version (32PF9531) tonight and was very impressed.. have only just started researching for a new TV, so i'm by no means an expert, but i'm definately a Philips fan now!! How much have people purchased/seen the 42P9831 priced at recently? I think the 32" model at HN was around the $2600 mark, so I may even go down this road if the 42" hasn't dropped to around $4k.

what prices are you guys finding on this model i got a quote of $5200 last week 26-10-06 42 inch

what prices are you guys finding on this model i got a quote of $5200 last week 26-10-06 42 inch

The 42PF9831 LCD’s are an awesome 1366x768 panel let me tell you. It's the only 3 ms response LCD available and completely free of motion blur unlike all other LCD I have looked at to date. It is an excellent panel for SD & HD TV viewing and particularly DVD’s. ‘Clear LCD’ processing software is designed for SD & DVD’s and many people think they look like HD on this panel. But don’t upscale them on your DVD output, let the panel do it for best results. All in MHO and I am biased! :blink:

If you are looking for best price a ‘group buy’ like we did 6 weeks ago got it down to $4500. RRP is still $6900 but generally ticketed at $5500 or there abouts last time i looked.

The previous group buy was to be a ‘one off’, but if you or anyone else is interested, send me a PM and I’ll see if I can help. It a major Sydney retailer, prefer not to disclose as it is well below normal minimum acceptable margin. COD or Credit Card was fine too. I did have someone in Perth interested a few weeks ago now but not sure if they are still in the market and we need 3+ unless anything has changed.

Otherwise haggle hard!

The 42PF9831 LCD’s are an awesome 1366x768 panel let me tell you. It's the only 3 ms response LCD available and completely free of motion blur unlike all other LCD I have looked at to date. It is an excellent panel for SD & HD TV viewing and particularly DVD’s. ‘Clear LCD’ processing software is designed for SD & DVD’s and many people think they look like HD on this panel. But don’t upscale them on your DVD output, let the panel do it for best results. All in MHO and I am biased! :blink:

If you are looking for best price a ‘group buy’ like we did 6 weeks ago got it down to $4500. RRP is still $6900 but generally ticketed at $5500 or there abouts last time i looked.

The previous group buy was to be a ‘one off’, but if you or anyone else is interested, send me a PM and I’ll see if I can help. It a major Sydney retailer, prefer not to disclose as it is well below normal minimum acceptable margin. COD or Credit Card was fine too. I did have someone in Perth interested a few weeks ago now but not sure if they are still in the market and we need 3+ unless anything has changed.

Otherwise haggle hard!

that would be great but im from melbourne i'll see if any 1 else would be in it thanks

Have seen this LCD at local GG store set up next to the new sony 42x both playing ch 10 hd loop,both looked better than all the other lcd's on display.But the Philips was alot better than the Sony,it had better depth of colour,more detail,and no motion blur at all.Both were running of sony hd box from a hd component switch box so they both had the exact same signal.

Have seen this LCD at local GG store set up next to the new sony 42x both playing ch 10 hd loop,both looked better than all the other lcd's on display.But the Philips was alot better than the Sony,it had better depth of colour,more detail,and no motion blur at all.Both were running of sony hd box from a hd component switch box so they both had the exact same signal.

hi guys im looking for a group buy for this philips tv in melb , if we can get 3 or more people to purchase this model we will get a great discount if interested reply to this message thanks

hi guys im looking for a group buy for this philips tv in melb , if we can get 3 or more people to purchase this model we will get a great discount if interested reply to this message thanks

Its looking very positive, we have 2 interested and it looks like we can do it again, but just waiting for Management approval. 2 units ex stock even! Will have some freight cost to Melb soon, I hope, but manager is away for a few days so it may be a couple of days at worst. Hang loose!

If anyone interested PM me for other details and we can finalise the order late this week if its all go.

Will also help me haggle a good price for my PVR except I still havent decided which one! :blink:

Cheers

How many of us here know about this! This panel might have a fairly rare function that for some unknown reason is not being marketed properly. A built-in Media Player!

OK I knew it had a memory card reader, USB port, I assumed for a camera etc. But no, its much more than that. GG Guide stated:

"When we review televisions we check every last port to make sure it works properly and as advertised. With the 42PF9831, we were fascinated by the fact that it has a media player built into the firmware of the television.

You can connect a USB stick, external USB hard drive or one of a handful of supported memory card formats to the television and play music, videos and images directly from your media. The quality is of a high standard and the file supports are surprisingly extensive. The television can play back Mp3, .alb slideshow files, JPEG, Divx 3.11, Divx 5, Xvid and MPEG 1, 2 and 4.

This is a very rare feature and one that we haven't seen before. We were taken aback at how easy it was to use and how well it worked. The possibilities are endless with this feature. Imagine having a 500GB external hard drive attached to the television and networked with your home PC? This is certainly an impressive feature that makes this LCDTV stand out from its competitors."

This is from Good Gear Guide

Unfortunately to confuse things, they also incorrectly connected a PC at 1280 x 768, above the recommended resolution of 1024 x768. So they panned the image cropping 'problem'. Then they say in stark contrast how good it all is and "The possibilities are endless with this feature. Imagine having a 500GB external hard drive attached to the television and networked with your home PC?" The rest is a 100% glowing review.

I dont have a HTPC as yet but I have tested with an iMac @ 1920 x 1080 via HDMI/DVI cable and I can assure you there is no cropping of image, but its not quite 1:1 as there is some minor overscan. Fine for 42" IMHO. Funny how not all video cards work at higher resolutions via HDMI on a range of LCD panels, and VGA is always quoted as the PC connection to be safe I believe. Whilst I'm yet to try it, but I think the external hard drive functionality is a winner.

Group Buy Update - Free delivery Sydney, $100 to Melbourne. :blink:

Sydney price is now $4500 is delivered. Melbourne $4600 delivered. PM's sent to Annaconda and Linocam. 2 units available ex stock. 1-2 weeks for anymore. If no further PMs by weekend we will run with these, as its OK with the store.

Cheers

Bruce

How many of us here know about this! This panel might have a fairly rare function that for some unknown reason is not being marketed properly. A built-in Media Player!

The media player is one of the reasons i went with it, that as well as the picture qty, and the fact that it had SCART inputs so i could plug my toppy in and use RGB

You can connect a USB stick, external USB hard drive or one of a handful of supported memory card formats to the television and play music, videos and images directly from your media. The quality is of a high standard and the file supports are surprisingly extensive. The television can play back Mp3, .alb slideshow files, JPEG, Divx 3.11, Divx 5, Xvid and MPEG 1, 2 and 4.

This is a very rare feature and one that we haven't seen before. We were taken aback at how easy it was to use and how well it worked. The possibilities are endless with this feature. Imagine having a 500GB external hard drive attached to the television and networked with your home PC? This is certainly an impressive feature that makes this LCDTV stand out from its competitors."

I'm not sure how you'd go with a 500gb drive, as the media player only supports the FAT file system, I'm just using a 2gb USB thumb drive to watch my channel BT content :blink:

The TV also has an RJ45 network socket, though I'm lead to believe it's disabled on the AU version. Looking at the Philips web site there's a update for "Media Manager Software", I'm only guessing but it seems the TV might have been a full network media player, I wonder why it was excluded in the AU version?.

OK I knew it had a memory card reader, USB port, I assumed for a camera etc. But no, its much more than that. GG Guide stated:

"When we review televisions we check every last port to make sure it works properly and as advertised. With the 42PF9831, we were fascinated by the fact that it has a media player built into the firmware of the television.

This is from Good Gear Guide

Unfortunately to confuse things, they also incorrectly connected a PC at 1280 x 768, above the recommended resolution of 1024 x768. So they panned the image cropping 'problem'. Then they say in stark contrast how good it all is and "The possibilities are endless with this feature. Imagine having a 500GB external hard drive attached to the television and networked with your home PC?" The rest is a 100% glowing review.

I dont have a HTPC as yet but I have tested with an iMac @ 1920 x 1080 via HDMI/DVI cable and I can assure you there is no cropping of image, but its not quite 1:1 as there is some minor overscan. Fine for 42" IMHO. Funny how not all video cards work at higher resolutions via HDMI on a range of LCD panels, and VGA is always quoted as the PC connection to be safe I believe. Whilst I'm yet to try it, but I think the external hard drive functionality is a winner.

Group Buy Update - Free delivery Sydney, $100 to Melbourne. :blink:

Sydney price is now $4500 is delivered. Melbourne $4600 delivered. PM's sent to Annaconda and Linocam. 2 units available ex stock. 1-2 weeks for anymore. If no further PMs by weekend we will run with these, as its OK with the store.

Cheers

Bruce

thanks a lot jones are the tv's brand new never used or display models ( x stock ) regards linocam

thanks a lot jones are the tv's brand new never used or display models ( x stock ) regards linocam

Absolutely!!! I would not even consider anything less for me or anyone else. Its a major retailer so dont be concerned, I have actually seen their stock when they checked it was physically there Thursday night. They're at the rear of the store, (with about 100 other panels!) on carpet, not in some sight unseen warehouse. Also the cartons are in factory sealed, pristine condition, I think I could take a photo for you if that would help when I drop the deposit/s in. There is also one on display and I will be happy to take a photo of its serial number so you can be sure they wont ship that one... there is no need to as they need a display model anyway. I'm glad you asked actually and I will be pleased to help. The guys are really good there and they are putting together a quote for me on a PJ and PVR so they wont do the wrong thing by me! Actually they said they appreciate my business!!! I suppose this should have been my vocation in life, purchasing Hi Fi and LCDs...!

One other thing, these are very well packed. The panel weighs 38Kg but the total is 62Kg. If you see any sign of carton damage you dont have to accept it. Freight is insured, and your credit card has fraud protection, so you have to get what you pay for.

Just about all these TVs are courier delivered because of the size. If you could get one in your own wagon or van, you wouldnt want to be involved in an accident because the car insurance would likely not cover a $5000 TV!

Cheers

Saw the 42" in HN today, very impressed, but for $4500 it's a little overpriced in my book for 1366 resolution.. I'd rather buy a Sony X Series 1080p for that money..

The price is great now its dropped from $6900 RRP! That was overpriced. :blink: But remember it is their top hi-end panel with the best of all their technology in it as far as I know. Pixel plus 3 and Clear LCD for SD sources, and 3ms its the class leader in the all important response time.

As for 1080HD Vs 720HD, the Sony 40" is still a relatively small screen which IMO wont benefit greatly from the extra pixels. I cant understand the 37" 1080s either, except for gaming or very close viewing. When you watch a widescreen movie on a 40" in letterbox format, you dont have much screen real estate left and what do you really see? 720p is an exceptional HD image, especially at 3-4m normal viewing distance. That extra 2" is a big help and the ambilight full surround really gives you an impression of a much bigger screen imo. when you get used to it and helps with the perception of colours and contrast. Thats hard to see in a lot of bright stores, because the border is really coloured not white.

SD viewing on a 1080 panel is quite an upscale. Personally I found them a bit grainy and soft on movement also. Most of them are 8ms and I find it evident on skin tones and faces loose a lot of detail when they move. But if you sit very close and mainly watch a lot of HD, maybe thats a better choice for you personally. They are best on true HD if the blur doesnt bother you. Its a difficult decision but in my opinion 1080 is best at 50" plus, and even then you have the rescaling issue enlarged. Again fine for HD... And Foxtel? Forget it on a 1080 panel IMO! :P

So it isn't necessarily the number of pixels but the processing that's important. The Sony is a different beast from the Philips. If you turn all the processing 'features' OFF on the Sony's you can get a reasonable SD picture. On the Philips, everything needs turn ON and stay on, for HD and SD Maybe digital natural motion off, depending on your preferences. The Philips has the media player and ext hard drive via USB capability too coming and hopefully the ethernet port. And 3ms response rate, for ultra sharp action, SD or HD. Good luck with your decision, its a difficult choice! :D

PS Dont forget to compare the Sound capabilities if thats important to you. The Philips has a great sound stage if you dont want the Hi Fi on all the time. Take a music or action DVD with you and check it out.

The price is great now its dropped from $6900 RRP! That was overpriced. :blink: But remember it is their top hi-end panel with the best of all their technology in it as far as I know. Pixel plus 3 and Clear LCD for SD sources, and 3ms its the class leader in the all important response time.

As for 1080HD Vs 720HD, the Sony 40" is still a relatively small screen which IMO wont benefit greatly from the extra pixels. I cant understand the 37" 1080s either, except for gaming or very close viewing. When you watch a widescreen movie on a 40" in letterbox format, you dont have much screen real estate left and what do you really see? 720p is an exceptional HD image, especially at 3-4m normal viewing distance. That extra 2" is a big help and the ambilight full surround really gives you an impression of a much bigger screen imo. when you get used to it and helps with the perception of colours and contrast. Thats hard to see in a lot of bright stores, because the border is really coloured not white.

SD viewing on a 1080 panel is quite an upscale. Personally I found them a bit grainy and soft on movement also. Most of them are 8ms and I find it evident on skin tones and faces loose a lot of detail when they move. But if you sit very close and mainly watch a lot of HD, maybe thats a better choice for you personally. They are best on true HD if the blur doesnt bother you. Its a difficult decision but in my opinion 1080 is best at 50" plus, and even then you have the rescaling issue enlarged. Again fine for HD... And Foxtel? Forget it on a 1080 panel IMO! :P

So it isn't necessarily the number of pixels but the processing that's important. The Sony is a different beast from the Philips. If you turn all the processing 'features' OFF on the Sony's you can get a reasonable SD picture. On the Philips, everything needs turn ON and stay on, for HD and SD Maybe digital natural motion off, depending on your preferences. The Philips has the media player and ext hard drive via USB capability too coming and hopefully the ethernet port. And 3ms response rate, for ultra sharp action, SD or HD. Good luck with your decision, its a difficult choice! :D

PS Dont forget to compare the Sound capabilities if thats important to you. The Philips has a great sound stage if you dont want the Hi Fi on all the time. Take a music or action DVD with you and check it out.

hi there jones i still need to clear my visa hopfully end of next week thenks for the reply

hi there jones i still need to clear my visa hopfully end of next week thenks for the reply

He He... Can you please clear mine while you're at it ?

My wife has a duplicate card and she is not afraid to use it! :D

Wonderful as she is, she's the only person I know who can turn a Sale into a Disaster! :blink:

He He... Can you please clear mine while you're at it ?

My wife has a duplicate card and she is not afraid to use it! :D

Wonderful as she is, she's the only person I know who can turn a Sale into a Disaster! :blink:

have you bought one of these panels your self jones ?

:blink::D Hi just want to let you know I picked up a 42" Ambilight from Harvey Norman (Cannington, WA) for $5200 about two weeks ago and I am absolutely wrapped with it!! I have ordered a set of C809 Jamo fronts and C80 Center/Surround/Sub along with a Marantz SR8500, a Denon 2930 and Rotel 1070 as part of my (mid life crisis plan!!) and can't wait to put this system together. Can anyone give me any ideas as to what I may have missed out (will probably wait until Blu-Ray becomes cheaper). Sorry about getting sidelined: the Ambilight is absolutely superb and it's just a shame that I watch Fotxtel quite a bit and their picture is crap!!

( (( Philips official link here )) )

The time has come for me to buy a decent TV and all roads appear to be leading to the new Philips 42" LCD with Ambilight.

( (( Picture here )) )

( (( Specifications )) )

I want to run this with a laptop & Xbox360 and get the full HD experience from it. What I don't want is to have to turn around and sell it in a couple of years time because I'm disappointed with the quality. This is an expensive purchase and I want it to last at least a good 5 years. If technology changes and we're all ported directly in to the holoweb 5 years from now then I'd like to be able to look back on this purchase knowing it was good at the time.

What's people's impressions thus far ? (Yes I've read a couple of the threads here already... but it's going to become retail in a matter of a couple of weeks and the internet isn't static).

Also keen to hear what prices are being quoted. I've got itchy fingers but I'm seeing varying prices (mid $3k - $7.5k)

Any and all comments / discussion greatly appreciated.

If there's a better tv out there - I'd be keen to hear what it is and why.

Cheers,

Zoonimal.

--------------

Quick edit : Oh yeah - this is my first post so Hi there :P

Just a comment,

Was having a wander in the local HN as you do with a non technical mate ( visiting from the UK ). There was a large display of screens from cheap to top line including Pioneer Panasonic etc all being fed a crappy loop by composite. My mate said "ooh that's good" of the Philips and it certainly was head and shoulders above the rest PQ wise. I am willing to bet none of them had been set up just out of the box.

Nearly as good as my old NEC plasma :blink: If I was in the market for a new screen though. :D Just needs to come down in price a bit. Any offers on the Sharp 65"?

Hope it proves to be as good as initial impressions.

I've had this TV since the end of July and I just keep being more impressed with it. I finally bought some decent leads for my PS2 the other day because enlarging the image to screen size was causing some major clarity issues. With the new leads it looks great.

I read some reviews about the new PS3 (which I have on lay-by) and they raved about the pic quality of Blue Ray on HD screens, they said the quality of X-Men 3 on Blue Ray was chalk and cheese to standard DVD, can't wait to get my hand on it and see the difference the change makes.

New leads for PS2 = great improvement.

New PS3 (Blue Ray) = should be HUGE improvement.

I got mine for $5k from the good guys in early sep

hi guys just picked my 42pf9831 tv on wed good guys had a v i p night and i picked it up for $ 4620-00

took it home unpacked and pluged it in , it did not want to turn on i had a dud one . took it back next day and pluged it in again and was blown away with the PQ . thanks for your time jonesy

hi guys just picked my 42pf9831 tv on wed good guys had a v i p night and i picked it up for $ 4620-00

took it home unpacked and pluged it in , it did not want to turn on i had a dud one . took it back next day and pluged it in again and was blown away with the PQ . thanks for your time jonesy

$4620 is a good price, so did you get a replacement or did the one you had work when you took it back?

$4620 is a good price, so did you get a replacement or did the one you had work when you took it back?

no they replaced it , it was faulty. the green light would stay on but nothin else was happin also it was making a clicking noise ( relay ) every 30 sec . they replaced it no questions ask .

Heres a quicky thar someone maybe able to answer.

I have a 42PF9831 and i want to look at gettin a sony HDRSR1 HDD High Def handycam,

i noticed you talkin about the screen supporting MPEG 1,2 and 4.

My question to you....if anyone has tested this

Would i be able to hook up the sony via USB to the LCD and watch my footage back through

that. OR do i have to do it via HDMI

Reason i ask, is that i already have a DTR7200 High def set top box and a bluray player, so my hdmi is all but used up. If i can load it this way it would be sweet.

Cheers in advance

TJ

Heres a quicky thar someone maybe able to answer.

Would i be able to hook up the sony via USB to the LCD and watch my footage back through

that. OR do i have to do it via HDMI

Reason i ask, is that i already have a DTR7200 High def set top box and a bluray player, so my hdmi is all but used up. If i can load it this way it would be sweet.

Cheers in advance

TJ

I'm just guessing, but I'd say no, unless your sony can present itself as a storage device, like digital cameras and thumb drives do.

Tested it out, got my mate to bring one from his shot.

It detects it as an external device straight away. But the USB port wont stream the information fast enough to display correctly (image fine, sound shudders). Shame that, because you can control all of the cameras features through the TV remote. Would of been AWESOME!

• 2 weeks later...

I connected my MP3 player (iRiver H10 20GB) to the TV last night to see how it went playing MP3's etc from the device and I'm pleased to say it works well. :blink:

There's a little "trick" that needs to be done to the player for it to be read as a stand alone hard drive and then just plug it in. The TV brings up the menu screen and it's accessed through that. One cool feature is that the TV remote controls the music for fast forwarding, skipping songs, shuffle, etc. Plus it brings up any pictures and text.

It's not something I'd use much, if at all, but it's pretty cool to know it's there. :D