Having last year first sought out the Sony Bravia - V, when looking for an LCD, then steered in the direction of the Philips 42PF0830, I finally landed at the Philips 42PF9831.

One of ths biggest questions is: 'what is round the corner', but with this attitude you'll never buy anything.

I initially liked the look of the 30, but needed additional time and research, which led to the 31.

I bought this over two months ago, and might have been the first at HV in Chadstone to buy one. In addition I bought the Sony 250GB SVR-HD900 with HDMI connectivity.

It's easy to forget what you used to have, including the poor reception.

My impressions continue to improve. The standout so far was Planet Earth, on the ABC. Breathtaking! I'm no techo, and yes, ten weeks later, I'd still love to get the DVD player hooked up, but I might consider a HDMI DVD player, as the one I have is now close to four years old.

Channel 7 reception is excellent; the news, Sunrise, Today Tonight. Channel 9 football is better than channel 10. There is the occasional poor reception, particularly when the news crosses to outside broadcasts, but as mentioned before, you quickly forget what TV used to be like.

Biggest gripe is the footy, particularly shots of the grass. Don't know what this is, as the rest of the picture is okay considering the general poor quality of the braodcast.

The colour is very good and, likewise, the picture quality.

Even the sound is better, through my ONKYO and Klipsch sound system!

This box can only get better, and I'll keep you informed. As a Star Wars fan, I should get off my backside and successfully hook up the Toshiba DVD player this weekend and blast it out the system! :blink:

As an owner of this TV as well I recommend going for a DVD player with HDMI, I bought the Sony DVPNS92 because it has HDMI and plays SACD's (Dark Side of the Moon and War of the Worlds in surround is amazing).

I bought the Digital Video Essentials calibration DVD and the HD video on that is spotless / perfect / amazing / not a single fault to be seen. One thing this TV does very well is High Definition.

Star Wars looks fantastic on the TV and yes the grass on the footy is very strange (looks fine for other "grass" sports to me).

• Replies 297
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Good Guys near my place quoted $5200, which I think is pretty decent, especially since they'll go less for cash. I'm on the verge of buying this set atm. I already bought the S97 from JB ($260), and I'm thinking of bundling the STB with my panel purchase to push the price down even furthur. All those months of searching are about to pay off! I can't wait!

I bought the Digital Video Essentials calibration DVD and the HD video on that is spotless / perfect / amazing / not a single fault to be seen. One thing this TV does very well is High Definition.

The DVE disk is a DVD, and hence only PAL SD, not HD in any way shape or form.

There is a 1080i version of DVE available on DVHS (Digital VHS Tape) at substantial cost, but I am reasonably certain you don’t have that. :blink:

My impressions continue to improve. The standout so far was Planet Earth, on the ABC. Breathtaking! I'm no techo, and yes, ten weeks later, I'd still love to get the DVD player hooked up, but I might consider a HDMI DVD player, as the one I have is now close to four years old.

The ABC’s 720p broadcast of Planet earth is actually very poor quality by HD standards.

Even the BBC’s high bit rate h264 compressed 1080i version was very ordinary.

Wait till you see some real HD content, you will never be the same again. :D

However, to get the full effect, you need a 1080p display and sit very close to it.

For a 42” that would mean sitting no more then about 1.7 meters from the screen.

it's the way they cut the ground now days, the grass issue is still an issue when it comes to any tv veiwing it, it's quite offputing to watch any type sports event played on grass now days..

once they started thatching pitches like i lost interest in footy in general regardless of its code...

with camera's having hd lenses its even worse to watch it, as it makes it more pronounced than what it is to the nakid eye...

Wait till you see some real HD content, you will never be the same again. :blink:

However, to get the full effect, you need a 1080p display and sit very close to it.

For a 42” that would mean sitting no more then about 1.7 meters from the screen.

Can this panel properly process a 1080p signal, say blu-ray, when it is made avalible.

As an owner of this TV as well I recommend going for a DVD player with HDMI, I bought the Sony DVPNS92 because it has HDMI and plays SACD's (Dark Side of the Moon and War of the Worlds in surround is amazing).

Star Wars looks fantastic on the TV and yes the grass on the footy is very strange (looks fine for other "grass" sports to me).

I got mine as part of a package at HV, Chadstone, Melbourne for $5000

Good Guys will be stocking soon, so use this as part of your negotiations with HV. Surprisingly, the guy I dealt with at HV said they are judged on volume, not profit?!

GROUP BUY OPPORTUNITY @ $4500!!!

For those that know, properly set up, this Philips LCD 42PF9831 is absolutely brilliant and blows every current flat panel away for PQ. Just read the reviews then see for yourself. Even the 43 & 50" Pioneer. And the 40" Sammy & 40" Bravia V in my opinion.

So, hopefully I may have an opportunity to get these sets at very close to current cost price: $4500.00 FOB Sydney. Visa/MCard/Cash.

However quantity limited to 4, or 5 units. Brand new! of course.

Delivery or pick up available, Sydney metro area.

Full manufacturers 3 year warranty.

Delivery <1 week if all goes to plan. I will need numbers ASAP, Monday 4/9 latest. (If demand is more than 5 units, I will do my best to help!)

PM me for details. First in best dressed!!! However, remember - subject to confirmation once I get final numbers.

Cheers

Bruce

We just need 4 panels to make this workable and keep warehouse freight cost down. I have one PM, please reply here also so others can see the interest!

I also have information this price of $4500 is below Philips' staff pricing so its an excellent deal.

We just need 4 panels to make this workable and keep warehouse freight cost down. I have one PM, please reply here also so others can see the interest!

I also have information this price of $4500 is below Philips' staff pricing so its an excellent deal.

I would really love to have one but I also want to see the Sony x series before I make a decision. And I'm in Perth as well, will they deliver to Perth ? Its a great price by the way.

I only have another question in regards to Phillips. I've heard that they are thinking of getting out of LCD tvs so if that's the case then how will support be and if true is it really worth it to buy one ?

I would really love to have one but I also want to see the Sony x series before I make a decision. And I'm in Perth as well, will they deliver to Perth ? Its a great price by the way.

I only have another question in regards to Phillips. I've heard that they are thinking of getting out of LCD tvs so if that's the case then how will support be and if true is it really worth it to buy one ?

RE GROUP BUY OPPORTUNITY @ $4500.00 I think there is a good chance we can arrange Perth pick up or delivery. I will check this out if you decide to proceed. Remember this might be a one off opportunity!

Re warranty, not sure where your rumour came from, but factory warranty would be 100% guaranteed by a global company like Philips. And its 3 years standard. Really I cant believe a growth category like LCD would be considered being exited. LCD is the future in TV at least for the next few years until SED can become a reality - if ever as it just keeps getting delayed. Plasma, along with CRT wll be the only categories discontinued once investment in these facilities is no longer providing growth & profit. And just wait customers start throwing their dull Plasmas in the bin once they get to 10-15,000 hours after a few years (at say 3pm-11pm daily) or a 10-20% drop in brightness and contrast!

Back to the Philips 42PF9831, it has to be a bargain now at $4500, and can your really compare the Bravia X at something like $2,000 dearer. And as I think Owen pointed out in another post, you would have to sit at 1.7m or closer to see the any extra res at 42". Then the Bravia just doesnt compete on sharpness at 8ms, against 3ms for the Philips. And it does not have the full surround ambilight which IMHO is a key feature and gives the impression of a much bigger and more dynamic picture.

And just wait customers start throwing their dull Plasmas in the bin once they get to 10-15,000 hours after a few years (at say 3pm-11pm daily) or a 10-20% drop in brightness and contrast!

Ahm... LCDs do have half-life too :blink:. And the majority of plasmas and LCDs these days are rated at 60,000 hours half-life, which means 20 years at 8 hours of viewing per day.

Ahm... LCDs do have half-life too :blink:. And the majority of plasmas and LCDs these days are rated at 60,000 hours half-life, which means 20 years at 8 hours of viewing per day.

I think the manufacturers are covering themselves with this. The LCD backlights should offer constant PQ over say 10 years - unlike plasma which will gradually deteriorate from day one. Plasma brightness might be a bit like a piece of plastic left out in the sun...!

I have also noticed best plasma PQ (eg Panasonic, Hitachi, Pioneer) is with the contrast up at approx 100% :D

Yet IMHO this Philips is very bright and looks great at around 80 contrast, so there is plenty of 'headroom' to cover backlight deterioration over time should this ever occur.

RE GROUP BUY OPPORTUNITY @ $4500.00 I think there is a good chance we can arrange Perth pick up or delivery. I will check this out if you decide to proceed. Remember this might be a one off opportunity!

Re warranty, not sure where your rumour came from, but factory warranty would be 100% guaranteed by a global company like Philips. And its 3 years standard. Really I cant believe a growth category like LCD would be considered being exited. LCD is the future in TV at least for the next few years until SED can become a reality - if ever as it just keeps getting delayed. Plasma, along with CRT wll be the only categories discontinued once investment in these facilities is no longer providing growth & profit. And just wait customers start throwing their dull Plasmas in the bin once they get to 10-15,000 hours after a few years (at say 3pm-11pm daily) or a 10-20% drop in brightness and contrast!

Back to the Philips 42PF9831, it has to be a bargain now at $4500, and can your really compare the Bravia X at something like $2,000 dearer. And as I think Owen pointed out in another post, you would have to sit at 1.7m or closer to see the any extra res at 42". Then the Bravia just doesnt compete on sharpness at 8ms, against 3ms for the Philips. And it does not have the full surround ambilight which IMHO is a key feature and gives the impression of a much bigger and more dynamic picture.

Is it possible to get an extende warranty to 5 years under this deal ?

I saw a reference made to Phillips getting out of LCDs in another forum somewhere but I can't remember where.

I'll have to think about this seriously as the sony's are supposed to be around the same price point but no doubt do not have the extras that the phillips does like memory card slot with divx playback and amibilights etc.

Hi Nick

Have sent you a PM. Looks like 3 units so far then so now we have a good chance of this going ahead (with some arm twisting) but it will be easy if we just have one more which at this price is quite likely. I just dont want to miss out!

Extended warranty to 5 years is ~$260. I will be checking up on this tomorrow as I think I'll take it out. I am also going to see if insured courier delivery is possible as these boxes are pretty big!

By the way Philips include both a wall mount and a table top stand which is great.

Pick up details confirmed upon order/deposit. I will work this out tomorrow, depending on final numbers, with balance on pick up or dispatch. If paying balance by credit card I will check out the arrangements and let you know how this will work, but probably will need to be in person.

Its a great panel. I think wall mounted it will look fantastic.

Anyone else interested in this group buy @ $4500 - please post and/or PM me ASAP!

Regards

Bruce

I just can't belive how hard it is to pick the best screen, I'm hardly on of theose "optimiser" shopping types who can't make up their mind but boy am I struggling

I was set to buy the Toshiba 47WL66, but was concerned that I couldn't find many online reviews - and virtually nothing at this forum

Then I saw the Phillips at Good Guys on the Nepean Highway, Meb, and was very impressed with the screen, especially when I saw it was advertised at 1920 * 1080. Then logged on read this thread and started to wonder if I should stick with the Toshiba, but the Phillips (at the true resolution) or wait till the Phillips did come out with a decent 1920*1080 model

Had a look at the 9831 this morning at HN, the salesman dropped the price from 6000 to 5000 in a flash, it really does pay to be genuinely not interested in buying at the time. He was desperate. Went back to the GG and weirdly enough no salesman would come near me, so I just confirmed that they were advertising the screen as a 1920*1080 and at 5700 pre discount.

Would appreciate any comments from those who may have considered the Toshiba, still tossing up what to do. Annoyed that I can't find any substantial LCD reviews outside of cnet.

I just can't belive how hard it is to pick the best screen, I'm hardly on of theose "optimiser" shopping types who can't make up their mind but boy am I struggling

I was set to buy the Toshiba 47WL66, but was concerned that I couldn't find many online reviews - and virtually nothing at this forum

Then I saw the Phillips at Good Guys on the Nepean Highway, Meb, and was very impressed with the screen, especially when I saw it was advertised at 1920 * 1080. Then logged on read this thread and started to wonder if I should stick with the Toshiba, but the Phillips (at the true resolution) or wait till the Phillips did come out with a decent 1920*1080 model

Had a look at the 9831 this morning at HN, the salesman dropped the price from 6000 to 5000 in a flash, it really does pay to be genuinely not interested in buying at the time. He was desperate. Went back to the GG and weirdly enough no salesman would come near me, so I just confirmed that they were advertising the screen as a 1920*1080 and at 5700 pre discount.

Would appreciate any comments from those who may have considered the Toshiba, still tossing up what to do. Annoyed that I can't find any substantial LCD reviews outside of cnet.

Welcome to the forum Bretty!

Regarding the Toshi, from what I have seen, the 46" LCD screens of the Samsung and Toshiba are really struggling to produce decent images at all! The more pixels you are trying to drive the harder it is to achieve top quality without artifacts, blur, shimmer, grain, mosquito noise etc.

Re prices, just shows the $4500 Group Buy price is the best price by a long way for the Philips!

You really should see these two panels side by side somewhere if you're not sure, pref on both the 7 demo loop and then say Getaway in HD. I have seen them both at HN and the Toshi blacks were very poor, lots of shimmer, and the colours had no 'punch' in it at all compared to the Philips 9831 (although I admit I could not see the Toshi's settings). The SD and 576p is a real challenge for most sets, including LG, Samsung and Sony. Poor skin tones seems a big problem up until the Philips.

The Toshi is also only 8ms compared to the Philips 3ms. This means sharpness is shortlived when the subject moves, eg skin and hair detail just softens and blurs before resharpening again. With every movement, that would drive me mad...

If you are chasing resolution then wait for 1920, but even then, will you really be able to see it? Measure your seating distance & have a look at this Resolution and Seating Distance.

Overall PQ, black levels/contrast, skin tones & motion capability are far more important than 1920 pixels. IMHO 1366x798 in 42" is pretty good bang for your buck! Good luck with your research.

The DVE disk is a DVD, and hence only PAL SD, not HD in any way shape or form.

There is a 1080i version of DVE available on DVHS (Digital VHS Tape) at substantial cost, but I am reasonably certain you don’t have that. :blink:

Yeah I know it's not HD, but compared to every other DVD I've seen, the video demo picture is as close to perfect as I recon I'm going to see for some time.

And no it's no the DVHS version I'm not that much of a geek to be interested, $25 is the limit to what I'd spend (which is what I spent on it, actually I had a discount and got it for $13) :D

I had a final look at this set at Bing Lee Rhodes - Ticketed at $5800, best price was $5300.

Anyway I mainly went to check out DVD again, as previous demos were concentrating on FTA TV - SD and 576 performance. HD I know is stunning. So I took out my Super Speedway DVD, being an IMAX production this disc is a great demo DVD. Connected via HDMI through a $199 Philips player.

Result: UNBELIEVABLE PQ and SOUND! With the volume cranked way up this panel soon had the whole store standing around nodding! at how good the pics looked on this panel! As for the sound, if you had your eyes closed no way would you believe this was coming from the TV!

I could barely fault it - watching intensely for faults, saw some very minor edge jaggies in a few scenes was the worst I could find but overall you could have mistaken the picture for HD the colours and skin tones were so good.

*** The Group Buy for $4500 *** is soon closing extending till tomorrow as I was too busy today to finalise arrangements. PM me ASAP if your interested, currently one or two remaining. :blink:

Cheers

Bruce

Got to see this Philips LCD yesterday, displaying a DVD (Monsters Inc) from a Philips DVD player over HDMI.

All I can say is it looked very ordinary, with very significant aliasing and deinterlacing issues, probably due to the player, as well as nasty edge enhancement or artificial sharpening, likely due to the picture processing of the display.

Some my find this artificially sharpened and edgy image quality appealing, but I certainly do not. Hopefully it can be disabled for SD, as I believe it is for HD source.

The edge enhancement I noted could also be the DVD its self, as some DVD’s are sharpened in production.

The display also exhibited the bluish grey blacks that are so common on LCD panels, even in a relatively brightly lit showroom.

Blacks are certainly better then a lot of other LCD’s, but black they most certainly are not.

I have no doubt this panel would look much better with HD source, but the blacks are not going to improve.

I've seen this LCD in action a few times, I'm close to buying it as my new house is at lock up stage and I've got a few weeks to left before I move in.

My main question is about that ethernet port. It's disabled on our sets here in Aust but is it something that

could possibly be enabled, maybe even by a firmware upgrade?

great set

skull

Blacks are certainly better then a lot of other LCD’s, but black they most certainly are not..

Hi Owen

I recently did a shoot out in store with Pioneer 43" Plasma and Hitachi 8900 (1080) and this set eats them for picture quality and the thing that really surprised me was how much better the Philips blacks (and colours) were! Really, the blacks were not at all bluish or grey, and I had lengthy conversations with several salesman at the time about that very point! It is credited in the reviews for this also.

As for real life dim room performance, to confirm this in HN I darkened the theatre room, even closed a curtain over the door, and put up no image (no input) other than black - and I was really surprised again in such a dark room, and even off axis did not wash out or get that bluey tinge. Funny we can have such a difference of opinion, but OK they are not CRT black! But I have seen that it certainly beats every 'top' Plasma panel in the store easily in this department for blackest blacks. They really seem a dull grey-black.

Dont forget the shadow detail of this set - no other panel I have seen comes close and I havent witnessed any current rear pro sets with the perfect package for blacks and shadow detail. I see plenty of grey or black blobs in store though!

Thanks for your comments re jaggies through sharpening, it is definately a trade off I often see in post precessing my digital photos, and I it is frustrating its in some DVD source material - or maybe the DVD player is a contributing factor also.

I would be very interested in your thoughts as to the best (reasonably priced) DVD player to suit this panel, if you ever have a chance to investigate or know of a short list I should consider.

Thanks again

What are the best prices for this model going around now ? Would love to know the best prices in Perth.

Good news :blink: Got an answer for the Group Buy - Perth is OK but a little dearer! You can do a Perth pick up at $4690.00

Not sure how that looks over there, but it is tied in to the Sydney group buy basis so should be good! Have sent you a PM but will have to be quick as Sydney orders are going through for Tuesday ETA delivery.

Regards.

Hi Owen

I recently did a shoot out in store with Pioneer 43" Plasma and Hitachi 8900 (1080) and this set eats them for picture quality and the thing that really surprised me was how much better the Philips blacks (and colours) were! Really, the blacks were not at all bluish or grey, and I had lengthy conversations with several salesman at the time about that very point! It is credited in the reviews for this also.

~

yes we all read about yoru comparison the jones with the biazarro world settings that you had on the hitachi that no one in their right mind would use ! in fact I think I and jsut about every hitachi owner in that thread told you many times now its completely understandable the plasma looked shite with settings you had. Any plasma would. Adn then there was yoru other comparison which was via the card reader :blink: no offence jones but you need to stop qouting these very flawed comparisons you keep on qouting. If they were prof calibrated all three of them I can understand but please not with these cockamamie setting you had on them !

I'm sorry but I've gotta agree with owens summation of the philips PQ/colour balance and effects of its image processing further up in this thread.

I can understand yoru love for the philips but I dont think the comparisons you keep qouting is in the least valid. Btu good luck with the philips and I'm sure you will be most happy with it.

yes we all read about yoru comparison the jones with the biazarro world settings that you had on the hitachi that no one in their right mind would use ! in fact I think I've told you and jsut about every hitachi owner in that thread told you many times now its completely understandable the plasma looked shite with settings you had. Any plasma would. Adn then there was yoru other comparison which was via the card reader :blink: no offence jones but you need to stop qouting these very flawed comparisons you keep on qouting. If they were prof calibrated all three of them I can understand but please not with these cockamamie setting you had on them !

Hi Alebonau

Not many people go to the trouble of checking out how sets are calibrated or set up, and I know too well it makes a million % difference. Even Owens comments and yours don't detail what settings the set was on - its all so hard I know! And how often can you get hold of a remote in a store these days? But I did and I insisted so I could have a good look at what my hard earned was about to purchase!

Can I therefore say-

A) If you re read my posts in the Hitachi 8900 thread I actually went to the trouble of researching the correct settings posted by you and others. I sumarised them for comparison I think. Your settings were way off the mark in the store enviroment! As I changed them, the salesman was saying oh no, no, no, thats bad.... It was Domain, not my living room OK! It was fairly bright and I fully understand your comments. However we got it looking as good as we could, honest!!! It just didnt stack up. I really wanted to like that panel and I had waited to see it. And I actually felt really let down by it and posted that night! I also posted following your comments, that maybe your settings could have been for running in, as your panel was new as they seemed so low? Maybe you can repost your current settings. Have you had a look at how they look in a bright store?

B ) The SD comparison was not flawed IMHO! It was a really crappy result. We had a Sony Picture player connected to the Hitachi. Pics looked great. SD Card by comparison was really poor and nothing like thiose off the HDD. These are both digital formats - why the difference? No one responded when I asked for that point to be verified - I concluded all was quiet on this point because it was a problem! Unless it was that panel.

Anyway Im glad you love your set, thats what its all about. At home no comparisons are needed, just enjoy, maybe avoid the SD slot!

Cheers.

mr jones these were the panel settings you posted..

~

............................Alebonau......Simon.........Hitachi Rep

CONTRAST................ 0 ............... -9 .............. 36 !

(TIP: Hold button down 5 seconds to get to the max 36 setting!)

BRIGHTNESS............. 1 ................ 1 ...............3

COLOUR...................-20...............-8................-3

SHARPNESS................0.................-6................0

TINT...................................... ALL 0

COL TEMP............................ All Normal

CONTRAST MODE................. All Normal

BLACK gain: ..........................Medium

Note: Best to start with factory reset so everything else is normal in the Colour Management function.

Anyway with these optimised settings and composite feed on the 7 HD loop looked great. Good colour and sharpness. Next to the 43" Pioneer (not sure of its settings to be fair) the 8900 eats it with much better shadow detail over the Pio. The 36 setting in the contrast really gave it some punch in the store.

~

the settings above of mine are exactly the same since as my panel has pretty much run in dont see the need for any more tweaking. Many other hitachi owners have posted their settings and they are all around andy's and mine not far off. But just look at your contrast setting ! 36 wheres that next to 0 or -9 andy had, surely you must realise its pretty bizare to have it cranked to the max ! all the hitachi owners told you that. no one uses settings like that, not sure what the viewing conditions were but they must have been pretty much daylight to have to have the panel that cranked up and I'm sure no panel out there is goign to look very nice with max contrast settings. I've tried your settings its as if everyone onscreens been to the tanning salon, very unnatural and dont think it would do any panel any justice to be honest.

~

Back to the Hitachi. As I love my digital camera snaps I pulled out my SD card loaded with pictures (dropped them on a card off the pc before I left) and I had never seen on a Plasma or LCD TV before tonight. So tried memory card slot with some of hi res digital pics , and they looked like crap on the Hitachi! I couldnt believe it. Really so poor, they looked so DULL it looked like they had been colour printed on plain paper. I know it wasnt my pics! Then the Pioneer - hey, no memory card slot at all in the media box. What the??? Media box? No it aint!

OK back over to the Philips. SD card in, scans for card type, slideshow starts and presto, great POSTER PRINTS with UNBELIEVABLE QUALITY and COLOURS that are really really perfect! And natural. And much much better blacks. Back to the Hitachi, chaeck it out again, poor scaling, jaggies, and blacks looked really grey. Game over!

Can I suggest anyone buying a TV make sure you do this. Compare these 2 sets. Put an SD card in, its an excellent method of comparison. For me, game over Hitachi. I have liked the 8800 panel and expected the 8900 to be a touch better, but I am shocked at how far the LCD might have just come or be about to come. Surely other LCD manufacturers will have panels looking this good very shortly?

~

Why use a card reader? Have you tried the TV direct with your Canon's SD card?

in regards your sd slot comments, well my canon SD card - the 16mb freebie that comes with canon cameras works. also works is my sandisk reader, my sandisk 1GB stick, display off my teac stb which also has ability to display photos via dvi as does my laptop via dvi and rgbdsub. no jaggies, no scaling issues just all frikin gorgeos jaw dropping looking with clarity, detail, and a very nice natural colour balance. So not sure why you were having such difficulty working the picture viewing capabilities of the panels there.

Philips Group Buy Update

--------------------------------

Stock is due this week.... Hooray!!! :D

Then the bad news...Some panels are running late due to stock availability. :blink:

But! That is good news you see...well at least for anyone still thinking about it, Hurry up! There is still time to add your order I found out today. :P

PM me if you are interested at $4500.00!

Delivery is $40.00

5 Year Warranty $260

$200 deposit

Payment balance is COD.

Perth price is $4690.

Glad to assist anyone in need of help. Domayne have again it advertised for $5900 with a free digital photoframe... WOW!

Best regards

Bruce

A review for the set from Cnet. Not very good...

http://ecoustics-cnet.com.com/Philips_42PF...=ecoustics-cnet

Very strange review 6/10. Quite a contrast to reviews where it is thoroughly praised 9.1/10! This review seems the odd one out. They dont even like the 7000:1 contrast & deep blacks (no way blue?), viewing angle (superb!) ambilight (fantastic enhancement!), or the remote (it is so sleek!), or even the wide array of inputs! Seems very negative on everything! Maybe this was the Teac... :P

As I do my own reviews these days :P I really I cant agree! This review lost all credibility with stupid comments like these-

"...ClearLCD helps if you're especially susceptible to blurring in LCDs, but in reality, most new LCDs handle motion well enough for just about anybody." Gong! Wrong! That is the single biggest problem with just about every current LCD TV to date! (and the black levels, poor contrast, poor skin tones...)

Hows this, they even seem very negative in their presentation of the fairly decent (huge?) array of inputs-

"Philips included a standard but by no means exemplary array of connections on the 42PF9831D. There's a pair of HDMI inputs; one A/V input with a choice of RGB, component video, S-Video, or composite video; one with a choice of S-Video or composite video; one with only component video; a digital audio input; an RF-style antenna input; a digital audio output, and an analog audio out. To connect a PC, you'll need to monopolize one of the HDMI inputs (connecting via a DVI-to-HDMI adapter) or use the first A/V input's RGB capability, which eliminates one of the component-video connections."

Oh! So when you use it, you "eliminate" a connection do you? Darn! What a shame, only another component and 2 HDMIs spare... A lot of PC/cards like DVI I thought and HDMI is the future...

Then the set up seems like lets make it look its worst!

"The range of additional picture controls includes three adjustable color-temperature presets, among which Warm comes closest to the standard; a digital-processing menu offering Pixel Plus and Standard choices--we preferred Standard, since Pixel Plus introduced some edge enhancement; four steps of dynamic contrast, where Off was the best choice, since the others modified light output on the fly; four levels of noise reduction; a color-enhancement control that's best left off to maintain the best color temperature; and four steps of active control, which we left set to Off for critical viewing, again because it modified the picture on the fly.

So, poor set up - everything is turned off! (By the way, I noticed their concurrent Sony XBR review even had them ringing Sony for the best settings :D ) These 'review' settings are way off the capabilities of this panel. (Maybe they want the bare bones panel performance?) If you check back in the thread, this set really comes alive with the right settings IMO. Cool backlight seems to be the favoured setting in stores with colour enhancement on max, dynamic contrast on, noise reduction on max etc.

Some DVD players seem not up to the mark also - Samsungs DVD-HD850 (now 860) does a superb job upscaling DVDs and helps this panel shine IMO.

Here are the 3 highly recommended Reviews on the 42PF9831 for your comparison, previously mentioned in this thread:

AV Review

http://www.avreview.co.uk/news/article/mps/UAN/740/v/1/sp/

ASIA CNET

http://asia.cnet.com/reviews/home_av/tvs/0...68147p-1,00.htm

CNET UK

http://reviews.cnet.co.uk/televisions/0,39...278138-2,00.htm

As always, use your own judgement and check out what you read! I do! :blink:

Regards.

Any review where they complain about off angle viewing picture (wh cares - I don't watch TV at a 50degree angle), and features that can be turned off (back light) loose credibility

Any review where they complain about off angle viewing picture (wh cares - I don't watch TV at a 50degree angle), and features that can be turned off (back light) loose credibility

If a reviewer covers the off-angle viewing why does it lose credibility???? Off-angle viewing is very important to me because not all the seating positions in the living room are directly in line with the tv - I'm sure many other have the same situation.

Just because a reviewer covers a facet that isn't of importance to you, suddenly means they lose credibility in your eyes? :blink:

ambilight (fantastic enhancement!)

Makes an already big tv look HUGE - takes up far too much room. I don't want my tv to be a piece of dominant furniture in the room. A gimmick.

or the remote (it is so sleek!),

Now you're reaching, who cares about the remote? If you're spending this much on a tv haven't you already got a programmable remote?

A lot of PC/cards like DVI I thought and HDMI is the future...

Too bad the Philips handles PC connections via DVI very poorly - can't achieve native resolution due to all the "ClearLCD" processing trickery.

If you check back in the thread, this set really comes alive with the right settings IMO. Cool backlight seems to be the favoured setting in stores with colour enhancement on max, dynamic contrast on, noise reduction on max etc.

From all my readings on this board, this set is terrible for SD material and only shines when fed HD (1080i or 720p) or well encoded DVD. IMO half the problem with this set is there are *far to many* options to fiddle with the picture which just makes setup a nightmare to get right.

I'll take a setup that is excellent out of the box thanks, not something that takes 1 year and 80days to get right (and then hope the wind blows in the right direction and the ambient light is of the correct lumens)

Some DVD players seem not up to the mark also - Samsungs DVD-HD850 (now 860) does a superb job upscaling DVDs and helps this panel shine IMO.

Again, on anything that isn't high definition or of the absolute highest quality dvd transfer, this panel trashes. Anybody buying this tv really needs to consider how much you're viewing what content. If the majority of your viewing is SD FTA and Foxtel with the occasional HD, then I would suggest looking elsewhere.

As always, use your own judgement and check out what you read! I do! :blink:

Couldn't agree more!

Guest Sparky66

cmcdonald,

Having a bad day are we ??

Wow, you sound like a disgruntled past Philips owner or possibly a competitor brand trying to steal Philips thunder. Try this tweak to improve its performance - Get your head out of your ass and you might get a better picture. Instead of relying on other forum members posts about its SD performance, look for yourself and you will notice it is one of the best performing LCD thus far.

I for one have seen this great LCD running at great length at my friends house and it just about shits on anything available thus far.

It kills me when people post comments to insight backlash on a thread that was initially started because of their interest in this LCD.

Constructive criticism is welcome, but all you are doing is showing a total lack of first hand experience with this unit !

cmcdonald,

Having a bad day are we ??

Wow, you sound like a disgruntled past Philips owner or possibly a competitor brand trying to steal Philips thunder. Try this tweak to improve its performance - Get your head out of your ass and you might get a better picture. Instead of relying on other forum members posts about its SD performance, look for yourself and you will notice it is one of the best performing LCD thus far.

I for one have seen this great LCD running at great length at my friends house and it just about shits on anything available thus far.

It kills me when people post comments to insight backlash on a thread that was initially started because of their interest in this LCD.

Constructive criticism is welcome, but all you are doing is showing a total lack of first hand experience with this unit !

helps to have some views from both sides with anything. Agree though it si frustrating when you see people post in regards somethign when its plain clear they might not have first hand exprience or lacking a real understanding of its real capabilities. not that I'm saying that is the case in regards yourself cmcdonald.

I myself do ask myself as well when I see posts from people overtly pushing somethign and that is all they seem to post about somethig to bring attention to it and put down all other alternatives. straight away sends alarm bells in my mind, are they sjut overly enthusisatic, which is possible or do they have some hidden agenda/commercial interest :ph34r: again not saying this is the case for you cmcdonald not really followed your posts to comment.