Details on new panasonic 600A plasma

Oh one thing I forgot to mention is that $3200 was the cost for the 500A not including any extras. So im not sure if the $3400 was including Extended warranty etc. I was hoping for $3000 for the 500A as thats what some people on this forum have been getting it for. Still the best quote in Adelaide has been $3200. Hopefully I can get the 60A for that cost as the 'cost price' for the retailers appears to be the same as the 500A.

Hmm,

HN at enfeild just tried to flog me off a 500A... 3300 cash, plus 200 for 5 years warranty.

Not too bad. Id like to see what Truscotts at Melrose would have to say in response.

either way, in 48 hours there will be at least one less 500A on the market, subject to financial approval from the wiiiiiife

• Replies 471
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's disappointing the 600 will never come to Australia. It has found its way to the US, UK, and throughout Europe, yet Oz gets snubbed.

I can see why people are rushing out to get their hands on a 500, before they all go. I think I may wait till the new pioneer comes out (at least 2-3 months). Unfortunately it will be more expensive than the 500 and 60. Stores seem to more readily discount the panasonics rather than the pioneers.

It's disappointing the 600 will never come to Australia. It has found its way to the US, UK, and throughout Europe, yet Oz gets snubbed.

I can see why people are rushing out to get their hands on a 500, before they all go. I think I may wait till the new pioneer comes out (at least 2-3 months). Unfortunately it will be more expensive than the 500 and 60. Stores seem to more readily discount the panasonics rather than the pioneers.

Where do you get the 600 model from ? I checked in Panasonic uk and us web site, there is

no such model number as 600. Models from Panasonic uk is even sh.. er than here. The only

different in uk is they have a 42" model with built-in digital tuner.

Actually the salesman said the right thing.. It was just completely taken out of context by our friend.

When I talked teh salesmen he said teh panel was a 720x1024 and and its not a true HD but better than an SD the price was under 3K.

The 42" is 1024x768 and the 50" is 1366x768. Given the prie was under $3K, he was selling the 42".

It's also not true HD (ie 1080p), and better than an SD.

Let the guy enjoy his new plasma TV. If you are going to tell me that a 42" PV500 is junk compared to a PV60, I think you've stuffed up ! (LOLOLOL)

There's nothing he can do about it now but enjoy our crappy HDTV FTA service. :ph34r:

Lavs, the 600A is apparently coming out in October here. It will be a "premium" product. If you have compared the build quality (ie, look at the stand the PV60A comes with.. it weighs about 2 kg compared to the swivel on the 500A) to the 500A, I think most people will agree the 500A is a better unit, and the PV600 will be the same sort of thing. (ie, better speakers, better stand, nicer aesthetics etc) Also, and this is probably a 50/50 thing, it will have an integrated digital tuner. But, it will probably be 1k more than the PV60A. You pay for quality :D.

Incidentally, 3300 bucks is pretty close to the bottom line for a PV500, get em while they're still in boxes. Keep in mind that all the panels have to be shipped from Sydney to Adelaide, so 3000 is a bit unrealistic.

Panasonic's marketing ploy this year is to pump out products that do their job well that are made cheaply. Compare the NV-GS500 video camera to the NV-GS400.. GS-500 is cheap and junky in feel, but it's cheap and still has the specifications.

Oh, also, indulis, you are looking at the specs for the 50" panel. All 50" panels have 1366 * 768 resolution.

Lavs, the 600A is apparently coming out in October here. It will be a "premium" product. If you have compared the build quality (ie, look at the stand the PV60A comes with.. it weighs about 2 kg compared to the swivel on the 500A) to the 500A, I think most people will agree the 500A is a better unit, and the PV600 will be the same sort of thing. (ie, better speakers, better stand, nicer aesthetics etc) Also, and this is probably a 50/50 thing, it will have an integrated digital tuner. But, it will probably be 1k more than the PV60A. You pay for quality :blink:.

Incidentally, 3300 bucks is pretty close to the bottom line for a PV500, get em while they're still in boxes. Keep in mind that all the panels have to be shipped from Sydney to Adelaide, so 3000 is a bit unrealistic.

Panasonic's marketing ploy this year is to pump out products that do their job well that are made cheaply. Compare the NV-GS500 video camera to the NV-GS400.. GS-500 is cheap and junky in feel, but it's cheap and still has the specifications.

Oh, also, indulis, you are looking at the specs for the 50" panel. All 50" panels have 1366 * 768 resolution.

what a load of garbage! Have you actually seen the 60A with your own eyes?

If you had a proper look of the manual, you will find that in fact the 60A has that swivel stand as an option.

Better speakers???? 99% of people with plasmas will have a home theatre of some sort...why would you worry about the speakers on the actual panel? If fact premium panels don't even have speakers , they're add-ons. ie Pioneer, Fujitsu and Commercial Panels

Please, everyone go buy the 500A so Panasonic run out of stock and hurry up and send me my 50" 60A! :blink: I Paid $4500 at Betta Electrical in Fortitude Valley (Brisbane) including delivery.

what a load of garbage! Have you actually seen the 60A with your own eyes?

If you had a proper look of the manual, you will find that in fact the 60A has that swivel stand as an option.

Better speakers???? 99% of people with plasmas will have a home theatre of some sort...why would you worry about the speakers on the actual panel? If fact premium panels don't even have speakers , they're add-ons. ie Pioneer, Fujitsu and Commercial Panels

I agree with JohnZA. Why 're some people in this forum so crazy bout PV600 model.

The only difference between PV600 & PV60a is the panel look, the sound and the SD card.

I do nothing Pana will release PV600 here, since with only those different buyer will pick PV60A

for cheaper price. I 'm more keen on the PX60 model in which double HD tuner built-in. I guess

Pana will release this model later instead.

Please, everyone go buy the 500A so Panasonic run out of stock and hurry up and send me my 50" 60A! :blink: I Paid $4500 at Betta Electrical in Fortitude Valley (Brisbane) including delivery.

Congratulations Ammo...I was promised that I would get my 50" 60A by the 27th at the latest...

what where you promised?

Did you go for the 5year warranty.

ps. thats a great price mate, I paid $4550

Thanks RetailMonkey - your information is helpful to me. I will therefore wait til 600 model +/- Pioneer's new model comes out.

Sorry Aloha, I meant to say that the UK & US WILL be getting the 600 - you're correct in that they haven't yet got it. Other members of this forum explicitly stated in this thread that the 600 wouldn't make it to Oz, so I was misled. So my apologies for misleading you.

Aloha, the reason why I am interested (cf. 'crazy') about the 600 is that the 60 model doesn't take my fancy in the looks department. When I fork out a few grand for my TV I want it to look really nice - at the end of the day it is also a piece of furniture, so it has to look good even when it's not turned on! I know what looks nice is a matter of opinion as others prefer the look of the 60 to the 500. But the look of the 60 just doesn't grab me at all, hence my interest in the 600 and pioneer's new model.

Lavs, the 600A is apparently coming out in October here. It will be a "premium" product. If you have compared the build quality (ie, look at the stand the PV60A comes with.. it weighs about 2 kg compared to the swivel on the 500A) to the 500A, I think most people will agree the 500A is a better unit, and the PV600 will be the same sort of thing. (ie, better speakers, better stand, nicer aesthetics etc) Also, and this is probably a 50/50 thing, it will have an integrated digital tuner. But, it will probably be 1k more than the PV60A. You pay for quality :blink:.

Retail Monkey,

how do you know that the 600A is coming out in October ? I am about to put a deposit on a 500A down this evening, but if I absolutely knew that the 600A was coming out in October, I would be willing to wait until then.

heeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeelp

has there been some mega improvement by panasonic with their plasma glass, to justify the contrast ratio now being spec'd at 10000:1 for the 60A, whereas its 3000:1 for the 500A?

or have they done a shifty "re-jig" of the contrast ratio scale somehow, to boost the numbers?

that is one hell of a jump

cheers :blink:

I don't know where Retail Monkey gets his information from.

(it might be better than mine)

The same Pana rep that told me about release of 50'' also was adamant

600 was not coming to Australia.

I would make sure before I waited for something that might never come.

has there been some mega improvement by panasonic with their plasma glass, to justify the contrast ratio now being spec'd at 10000:1 for the 60A, whereas its 3000:1 for the 500A?

or have they done a shifty "re-jig" of the contrast ratio scale somehow, to boost the numbers?

that is one hell of a jump

cheers :blink:

Slipped on the keyboard?

saw a 42" 60A in JB in the city today....

it did look slightly better than the other plasma's there but nothing that would make it world beating.... the thing i liked about it was it did a better job detail wise than the Hitachi 8800 that was near it... the hitachi had jaggies where as the pana had smooth lines... i'd put it down to better processing

it seems brighter than the other plasma's but that could just be the settings..

the tv itself looks shithouse.. very cheap looking...

if the 42" had resolutions of 1366x768 or better i would look at it, but for me its 1024x768 doesnt cut the musted :blink:

We have just installed the 500A - it is just amazing, but it is also our first foray into plasma so we may be somewhat biassed! Now just to work out how it all works! But we are very happy with it.

Guys!

I am getting my new Pana PV60A delivered tomorrow.

My question is, what is the best connection from the Foxtel IQ box to the plasma.

The IQ only has 2 Scart and 1 x S-video and 1 x composite video outputs.

I was hoping to get a Scart to Component cable, but now as I read the Foxtel IQ manual, the Scart TV out is only to S-video, RGB or composite .

How do you guys connect your IQ box to your plasmas to get the best picture quality?

I want to get ready and get the right cables.

I remember seeing some posts here that said that they have the new Pana PV60A connected to Foxtel and the PQ was fantastic.

I'd like to know through what input was that fantastic PQ.

Thanks for all the help in advance.

How do you guys connect your IQ box to your plasmas to get the best picture quality?

SCART > Component is what I use, available from Jaycar. There is a thread in the Pay TV section about this.

Congratulations Ammo...I was promised that I would get my 50" 60A by the 27th at the latest...

what where you promised?

No promises for my delivery date, they've just told me Panasonic wont release them until they have sold old stock. Not sure if this is true or not. The estimate was the second week in May, but I hear rumours that it will be the third week (which falls in line with your timeline). I haven't gone for the 5 yr warranty but I am considering getting it. I'm told (by BE) I can still go for it up until I take delivery. So When they ring me and tell me it's ready I'll have to say yes or no, $600 for the 5yr.

Guys,

Need a lot of help here.

I went to JB, HN & DickSmith today to compare the PQ and Buidl Quality between different plasma brand/model. The new Pana PV60A looks really shite with the silver panel. The old Pana PV500 look

nicer. HN (Knox City) has the last one 42" PV500 with ticket price $2992 with the statement as will be cheaper for cash price.

I stood hour in JB to look at the 42" Pana 60A and the 42" LG side by side. Pana gives better color

but LG picture is much clearer/sharper. I ask the saleman is that because of the setting, he said no.

I then went to HN and look at the 42" LG & 42" Phillip. Wow the Phillip is so much more clear and sharpness.

The LG looks very dull next to the Phillip. I again thought that because of the setting. However, when the saleman turns on the 42" Pana 500A. Even though LG is dull next to the Phillip, it is still clearer than the Pana.

Is what I observed correct or is there something wrong with my eyes. Please help me out here.

Has sharpness got to do with TV setting or set top box at all ? Note the Pana uses LG set top box, while

the LG & Phillip has built in Set top box. Another Phillip uses "Strong STB (Korea brand)".

All the above 42" brands are HD.

LG is a bit more sharpness compare to the Pane, but becomes dull when stand next to the Philips.

The Philips PQ is superb. Why do you guys like Pana ? what 's wrong with Philips plasme ? Does Philips plasma has problems in quality, eg fast moving image, burn in, noise, etc.. ????

Please heeeeeeeeeeeeelp.

I cant comment on the Phillips Plasma, but we have had a flat Phillips for about 3 years and everyone used to comment on our fantastic PQ and asked if it was digital - it wasnt! It is fantastic. I think Phillips have the bext PQ but they are more expensive.

LG is a bit more sharpness compare to the Pane, but becomes dull when stand next to the Philips.

The Philips PQ is superb. Why do you guys like Pana ? what 's wrong with Philips plasme ? Does Philips plasma has problems in quality, eg fast moving image, burn in, noise, etc.. ????

Please heeeeeeeeeeeeelp.

Something I noticed just by looking at these models is that the LG & Samsung don't seem to have the colour depth of the Panasonic, Pioneer or Hitachi (not sure about Philips sorry). I'm not sure if the contrast is turned up from the factory or if they are just crap. You can clearly see large steps in colour instead of an even change when there is a colour thats fading into another colour or fading out across the screen. Once you have seen it you can't help but notice it and it drives me insane (funny thing is that when you point it out the sales people thay don't know what you mean). I have seen this in all the stores I went to and this is the main reason I went for the pana. I actually like the styling of the Samsung TV more than the pana (until the Pana 60A that is).

what where you promised?

I love this forum!! I printed out your post Ammo, and yours JohnZA, and took it to Clive Peeters and didn't have to haggle at all. Just showed them the posts, watched as their mouths dropped, waited while they checked with their bosses, and the deal was done for $4500. Previously the best price I had on the 60A was $5300 from Harvery Norman and I thought I was doing well as their ticketed price was $5999. As I now realise I suck at haggling, you've saved me bucketloads so a huge thanks.

I cant comment on the Phillips Plasma, but we have had a flat Phillips for about 3 years and everyone used to comment on our fantastic PQ and asked if it was digital - it wasnt! It is fantastic. I think Phillips have the bext PQ but they are more expensive.

No, that 's not true. In fact, the 42" Philips plasma price is the same as LG & Pana as I 've seen in HN. That 's worry me due to a huge fan of Pana in this forum, but Philips. So I 'm kind of wonder there may be somthing not right with this.

Something I noticed just by looking at these models is that the LG & Samsung don't seem to have the colour depth of the Panasonic, Pioneer or Hitachi (not sure about Philips sorry). I'm not sure if the contrast is turned up from the factory or if they are just crap. You can clearly see large steps in colour instead of an even change when there is a colour thats fading into another colour or fading out across the screen. Once you have seen it you can't help but notice it and it drives me insane (funny thing is that when you point it out the sales people thay don't know what you mean). I have seen this in all the stores I went to and this is the main reason I went for the pana. I actually like the styling of the Samsung TV more than the pana (until the Pana 60A that is).

Philips does not own plasma factory. It uses Fujitsu/Hitachi plasma panel and most of the internal components. The only change that Philips introduces is the bezel.

I love this forum!! I printed out your post Ammo, and yours JohnZA, and took it to Clive Peeters and didn't have to haggle at all. Just showed them the posts, watched as their mouths dropped, waited while they checked with their bosses, and the deal was done for $4500. Previously the best price I had on the 60A was $5300 from Harvery Norman and I thought I was doing well as their ticketed price was $5999. As I now realise I suck at haggling, you've saved me bucketloads so a huge thanks.

Congrats mate!

When were you told delivery will be?

Did you mean the 50 inch only looks better than the older one or the 42 included?

Im yet to see the 42 inch new Plasma but the UK forums say that the grey plastic makes it look cheap and flimsy and the black border is a Matt black and not glossy.

I held off the PV500A as it looks nice but the 3 tier border makes it look bulky for what it is so decided to hold off.

-------------------

PQ is definetively better, but yes, the silver plastic looks TERRIBLE! makes "PALSONIC" look better then the PANASONIC. Even the LG and Samsung have better enclosures....

Which Philips?

All the ones I have seen in OZ look no way as good as the Hitachi or Panasonic.

They do have the pixel Plus 2 though, but not the Pixel plus 2 HD ( next model in 60 or so days ).

For what it's worth, here is a link to the PX600, which is soon to be released in Europe & UK. It looks a lot better than the 60, in my opinion.

The big question is: Will it get to Australia? (or at least a version of).

http://crave.cnet.co.uk/televisions/0,3902...49257320,00.htm

thanks for posting that. it is helpful. looks a lot better than the 60A.

I went and saw it in the flesh last night and I really dont like it. so glad I got the 500A

thanks for posting that. it is helpful. looks a lot better than the 60A.

I went and saw it in the flesh last night and I really dont like it. so glad I got the 500A

Totally agree - I ended up getting the 500A last night.... second to last one truscotts had in SA (well, at least thats what they told me...) Might end up wall-mounting this one. Definately much better looking than the 60A. Who needs a second HDMI port anyway ? Eventually the Amp will be the hub of everything cable-wise, with only one cable going to the tv...

Which Philips?

All the ones I have seen in OZ look no way as good as the Hitachi or Panasonic.

They do have the pixel Plus 2 though, but not the Pixel plus 2 HD ( next model in 60 or so days ).

Both Philips that I saw in HN (Melbourne South East - Knox City) are way clearer/ sharper than LG & Pana (500, 60A). I do not notice the model number. Both of them claims resolution of 1024 x 1024.

Note I do not compare about color between LG & Plasma & Philips. Pana color is better than LG. What I compared is the clearness, sharpness of picture quality. I can even see actor pimper, grass edge, far tower details with LG & Philip but not Pana PV 60A. that comparision is from the same TV channel.

Congrats mate!

When were you told delivery will be?

They agreed with your post. 27th, perhaps earlier, although I did see on his computer screen 'Delivery Date 18/5/06' when he was checking out cost price details.

Totally agree - I ended up getting the 500A last night.... second to last one truscotts had in SA (well, at least thats what they told me...) Might end up wall-mounting this one. Definately much better looking than the 60A. Who needs a second HDMI port anyway ? Eventually the Amp will be the hub of everything cable-wise, with only one cable going to the tv...

no way, I got the 500A last night too. what did you pay?

no way, I got the 500A last night too. what did you pay?

Yeah I am interested to know what you both paid?

Congrats on your purchases!

You got yourselves a great TV. I'm very happy with mine

Went and had a good play with the 42" 60A......man this is one awesome panel...can't wait till my 50" arrives :blink:

The Salesman were in awe of the picture settings (from persian immortal) I left them with....I put the exact the settings on a 500A which was right beside the 60A and I can categorically say that there is NO CONTEST...picture looks so much more vibrant and the salesman agreed...if you dont beleive me then try it yourselfs using persian immortals settings.

Tested DVD as well and i'm soooooooooo rapt i put a deposit on the 50inch...Man i cant wait till it arrives

ps. You guys are kidding yourselves if you think the 500A looks better than the 60A, the 500A looks way too bulky like an LG panel, ie too much border before you see the actual screen....the 60A makes the 500A look prehistoric in my opinion.

I admit that the stand it comes with looks a bit dodgy but if you order the optional pedestal stand or wall bracket as I intend to do then there definately is no contest....60A all the way :P

Went and had a good play with the 42" 60A......man this is one awesome panel...can't wait till my 50" arrives :blink:

The Salesman were in awe of the picture settings (from persian immortal) I left them with....I put the exact the settings on a 500A which was right beside the 60A and I can categorically say that there is NO CONTEST...picture looks so much more vibrant and the salesman agreed...if you dont beleive me then try it yourselfs using persian immortals settings.

Tested DVD as well and i'm soooooooooo rapt i put a deposit on the 50inch...Man i cant wait till it arrives

ps. You guys are kidding yourselves if you think the 500A looks better than the 60A, the 500A looks way too bulky like an LG panel, ie too much border before you see the actual screen....the 60A makes the 500A look prehistoric in my opinion.

I admit that the stand it comes with looks a bit dodgy but if you order the optional pedestal stand or wall bracket as I intend to do then there definately is no contest....60A all the way :P

yes the 60A's picture looks better, but you are kidding yourself if you think the 60A looks better than the 500A

Clarification on my prev post. I didn't like the large black glossy border on the 50" 500A. Although by the posts here I'm a loner on that one. beauty is in the eye...