Bad reception & dropouts after neighbour installs dish

bunty

Can a VERY large satelite dish cause reception problems?

I used to have a perfect reception until recently when it suddenly got so bad I had to resort to UHF analog television.

As I have another antenna for the set in my bedroom I tried my STB in the bedroom and it is just as bad.

I initially thought my old TEAC DV-B300 had given it up, but took it over to my fathers house and it works great.

I then borrowed his LG HD receiver and even though reception has better I was still not getting the type of reception I was used to.

I went out and bought a new quad sheilded cable and again even though it was better I was still having major reception problems.

It was only after I thought about what had happened around the same time as my problem that I realised that my neighbour had just installed a VERY LARGE dish on his house very close to my house.

It is not in a direct line of sight to the repeater station on Mt Tuggeranong (in Canberra) and I have a direct line of sight to the repeater.

Is there any possible reason why this may be interfering with my reception?

gennerally no unless its pointing at your antenna array...

if you're still having reception issues i suggest getting a filter installed and upgrade all antenna cables to quad shield rg-6, as it is possible you may be to rf interference from the neighbours sat dish if your house is wired with single or dual shield airial cable...

find out what he is using the dish for, as he maybe a HAM operator running a microwave setup...

where is the sat dish location ground level or tower/roof mount...

find out what he is using the sat dish for...

bunty,

If you (as you say) still have line-of-sight to the transmitter, the dish should not interfere.

The most likely reason is (the dish) is causing reflections (seen as ghosting on analogue) creating errors in your digital signal. Perhaps your digital signal was on the threshold of dropping out prior to the dish being installed and afterwards, dropped your signals too low for reliable reception. The only accurate way measure digital channel power and Bit Error Rate is with a digital meter. A competent pro digital antenna installer can check this for you.

Bundy,

These large dishes are usually receivers overseas transmissions , typically for C Band satellites. Ask you neighbour what the dish is for?

You will find one of the following;

There is a downconverter in the centre of the dish. Try reception with your neighbour switching off the receiver including any power supply for the dish.

If the reception is good, then the neighbour has the responsibility to fix the interference. Check the www.ACMA.gov.au and look for Radio & TV interference.

If it has no effect then the metal work of the antenna is either absorbing your signal or reflecting a delayed signal onto your antenna. This depends on the angles between the transmitter, your antenna and the satellite dish.

Have a close look at your analog pictures. Is there a very close ghost on the left or right of vertical edges of the picture?

The transmitter is very low powered (160 W) and the analog and digital channels are very close together in channel number.

If interference is not a problem then you want the most directional antenna band 5 you can get. Placement will also be critical. Both in height and where on the roof it is located.

I suggest you read the Canberra Viewers' Forum. Read Canberra.

Please post any further posts in the Canberra Viewers' Forum

AlanH

Thanks for the replies.

Our neighbours are not very friendly and as such I do not think that they car one way or the other about our reception.

I have replaced our old cable with a quad sheilded cable and even though it is now watchable on a few channels the signal quality is still only passable on those channels.

On some of the bad channels the signal strength seems to peak and drop intermittently causing some very bad dropouts etc making it unwatchable.

At my fathers house he uses a different repeater so any test of my STB proved nothing. I will have to ask somebody else in my viewing area to test it out for me.

The large dish next door is very close to my house and is attached to the side of his house less than 10 meters from my antenna. It is also pointed across my yard at a very low angle. It is only just a few meters above gutter height.

I may have to get a professional in to test out our reception and to test for any transmission from the dish.

I used to get a perfect picture with close to maximum signal quality and strength.

Thanks all,

BUNTY

if it is the sat dish nextstore i think the EPA should be called, if you get no help for a tv antenna person...

this is why i was saying make sure he isn't a ham operator 1st...

as ham operators may need line of site whilst broardcasting on a microwave setup...

microwave ham setups can disturb various transmissions relating to fta and other forms of communication transmissions, he may be using c-band sat though the last i heard c-band being deactivated this was about 12 month's or so ago...

if they are exceding the epa's transmission guidlines then he has no leg to stand on, he must adjust it so he don't interfere local broardcast transmissions..

Edited by black_ops
Thanks for the replies.

Our neighbours are not very friendly and as such I do not think that they car one way or the other about our reception.

I have replaced our old cable with a quad sheilded cable and even though it is now watchable on a few channels the signal quality is still only passable on those channels.

On some of the bad channels the signal strength seems to peak and drop intermittently causing some very bad dropouts etc making it unwatchable.

At my fathers house he uses a different repeater so any test of my STB proved nothing. I will have to ask somebody else in my viewing area to test it out for me.

The large dish next door is very close to my house and is attached to the side of his house less than 10 meters from my antenna. It is also pointed across my yard at a very low angle. It is only just a few meters above gutter height.

I may have to get a professional in to test out our reception and to test for any transmission from the dish.

I used to get a perfect picture with close to maximum signal quality and strength.

Thanks all,

BUNTY

this sounds pretty unresonable, i would consider lead boxer shorts as an additional measure while you chase your reception problem.

regards

Is it a dish like this

http://www.kansat.com.au/images/joysat.jpg

or

http://www.maplin.co.uk/images/Full/47165i0.jpg

If so give your local council a call about it seeing as your neighbours don't give a toss .

If your lucky they may have put it up without council approval seeing you say its attached to the house.

But if its one of these

http://www.broadbandproducts.net/images/galileo_dish1.jpg

its for satellite internet and is both transmitting and recieving so a call to ACMA would be your next step.