Harmony Remote Control Owners & Discussion Thread

Hi geoffman / SPDF,

Thanks heaps for the info.

OK, I've decided to bite the bullet and go the Harmony !

The 688 looks so cool / the 680 has the PVR buttons / the 676 gets such good reviews and as for the 880..............

Austen.

Dude go for the 880 the offer is open now and should be able to land it for $260 or $270 AUD

Guest EZYHD

Thanks to Land Down Under for getting this deal going you'll need the Aussie code for the $83USD discount, its...

H880-AusPB

http://www.bluedo.com

Just ordered my Harmony 880 it was $266AUD inc. freight to OZ.

Ps. had the 680 before but think this is better.

Thanks to Land Down Under for getting this deal going you'll need the Aussie code for the $83USD discount, its...

H880-AusPB

EXCATLY what I was about to say, Thanks heaps........

Austen.

Hey Glen, You're gonna send me broke, but at least I'll have some sh*t-hot equiptment while I'm sitting in the poor-house :blink: !!!!

A.

H880-AusPB

If they ever get them...... I'll order one when their website says they have them in stock.

Just a quick question before I go and order one...

How does the harmony handle the situation where the equipment doesn't receive the signal? For example, if the harmony knows that my TV is in AV1, and then I press the button to watch TV (which could be AV3), it will send the "Toggle through inputs" IR code twice. But if I'm out of range, the TV won't get the signal, and the harmony will think it's in AV3 when actually it is still in AV1.

Am I missing something?

Just a quick question before I go and order one...

How does the harmony handle the situation where the equipment doesn't receive the signal?  For example, if the harmony knows that my TV is in AV1, and then I press the button to watch TV (which could be AV3), it will send the "Toggle through inputs" IR code twice.  But if I'm out of range, the TV won't get the signal, and the harmony will think it's in AV3 when actually it is still in AV1.

Am I missing something?

You are right. I do just that if my wife turns off tv at set instead of using off button on remote.

To fix you just press Help and answer questions on lcd screen until you get activities lined up again.

Austen you should be able to do this no problem. Just setup two different activites, one for each set of conditions for each device.

That's the crux of the Harmony, remembering it is an activity driving remote. :blink:

Thanks Guys,

With blind faith I've ordered one, As far as I can see all the Harmony remotes are excatly the same, just different layouts, and by far the vast majority of people seem very happy with theirs.

Given a reasonably complex system, where components can be connected to more than one other component depending on the "activity", can you do more than one activity at a time (allowing of course that your set-up connections allow it) ?

For example, In my situation with the spare STB feeding both the AV Sender (main job) and the Denon 3805 (backup job), could I have an activity WATCH DVD PLAYER 1, (DVD Player 1 plays through Denon) and then as neither the second STB or the AV Sender were used by that activity, start a second activity to power the second STB and feed it to the AV Sender, WHILE NOT STOPPING THE FIRST ACTIVITY ?

Many thanks,

Austen.

Given a reasonably complex system, where components can be connected to more than one other component depending on the "activity", can you do more than one activity at a time (allowing of course that your set-up connections allow it) ?

For example, In my situation with the spare STB feeding both the AV Sender (main job) and the Denon 3805 (backup job), could I have an activity WATCH DVD PLAYER 1, (DVD Player 1 plays through Denon) and then as neither the second STB or the AV Sender were used by that activity, start a second activity to power the second STB and feed it to the AV Sender, WHILE NOT STOPPING THE FIRST ACTIVITY ?

Many thanks,

Austen.

No you can't AFAIK.

That being said, you can use the device button to bring up individual devices and control them separately any time you like.

EXCATLY what I was about to say, Thanks heaps........

Austen.

Hey Glen, You're gonna send me broke, but at least I'll have some sh*t-hot equiptment while I'm sitting in the poor-house  :blink: !!!!

A.

Mate thats what its all about

As along you you have great equipment it dont matter where you live

H880-AusPB

Foxtail, that's a terrific price; it's just $66 more than I paid for my 676 and 680. I am dying to hear how you fare with it. You're going to have to post a 'roadtest', especially since you have experience with the 680.

(Tell you what, even though we both owned MX500's, they don't hold a candle to the Harmony range! These are just an awesome piece of gear!)

Many thanks,

Austen.

Actually, I think you probably could. The activity would be all of the first activities plus the second activities you want. The total would have to be defined as an activity.

Actually, I think you probably could. The activity would be all of the first activities plus the second activities you want. The total would have to be defined as an activity.

Hmmm......

Activity 1 / Activity 2 / Activity 3

I see how that would work !!

Thanks for the heads-up.

Austen.

Hi Guys

I havn't quite got my head around these remotes yet but don't want to miss out on a good deal i.e the 880 from bluedo.

Basically atm I have a palsonic crt tv, denon avr2805 & htpc. Would this device control all of these effortlessly? The htpc is probably the most complicated and most used of the devices.

I'm controlling everything atm the the universal functions of the denon 2805 remote. Basically I flick it to tv to turn the tv on and select the input source and that's about it.

Amp wise I use the denon remote in amp mode to switch input sources, adjust the volume etc. I'm just a little confused with the lack of buttons on the remote how does it let you select all things like the dsp mode, input source etc which are all labeled individually on the denon remote

HTPC wise I've basically mapped all the standard dntv controls from the dvico remote to the denon remote. This is used to change channels, play, pause, ff rw etc. Once again this uses many specific buttons such as minimising the application etc and I don't understand how you could correspond a button on the mx to this. I still use a wireless keyboard/mouse the majority of the time to control most things like the windows environment etc I guess it's a bit of wishful thinking to hope the mx would do any of this?

What I'm asking is will the 880 do all these things and if so how does it improve upon the standard universal denon remote? From what I'm gathering it just allows multiple things to be done by pressing one button so similar to a macro function on a universal remote? Just don't know how much this would help other than the initial turn on tv,amp,pc (don't know if it would power on a pc)

HTPC wise I've basically mapped all the standard dntv controls from the dvico remote to the denon remote. This is used to change channels, play, pause, ff rw etc. Once again this uses many specific buttons such as minimising the application etc and I don't understand how you could correspond a button on the mx to this. I still use a wireless keyboard/mouse the majority of the time to control most things like the windows environment etc I guess it's a bit of wishful thinking to hope the mx would do any of this?

What I'm asking is will the 880 do all these things and if so how does it improve upon the standard universal denon remote? From what I'm gathering it just allows multiple things to be done by pressing one button so similar to a macro function on a universal remote? Just don't know how much this would help other than the initial turn on tv,amp,pc (don't know if it would power on a pc)

Whilst the Harmony are Activity based remotes all Device remotes can be duplicated. The buttons of the remote that are not duplicated appear on the LCD screen when you are in that Device mode.

When you are in Activity mode, then the main operations are placed under control of the remote. EG Volume control (from amp) is on the main buttons. Channel change (from STB) is also on the main buttons. So main Actions from the Activity are operated from harmony. When you change activity then the main actions are on the Harmony.

You can define these main Activities so that anyone can pick up the remote and logicaly control that activity from one remote.

This is very handy for the wife to operate!!!

You can tweak as much as you like by controlling individual devices from within Device mode.

I have a HTPC with i-mon inside which allows me to start PC with remote. I have an activity to start PC which I call DVD since I use PC to play DVD. It starts PC then DNT Live and from the OSD I select DVD or HDTV with the remote.

I also have Austar activity to play Austar and SD TV which selects the Thomson Digital PVR from which we watch normal TV and record to PVR if required.

Incidentally there is an input to the PC from Austar and a Winfast PVR program that allows viewing via PC and recording to its HDD.

There is analogue input to the Amp for SDTV and Austar. A digital input to the Amp for HDTV and DVD.

I hope this shows you how handy the Harmony to control all of these.

Prior I had 5 remotes and constant calls from wife asking how to record Austar or play a DVD.

Guest EZYHD

I have my Harmony 680 setup to control:

Standard Plasma TV

Topfield to Plasma TV

DVD player to Plasma TV

DVD player through amp for sound (Plasma TV)

Topfield through amp for sound (Plasma TV)

Topfield to Projector through amp for sound & picture

DVD player to Projector through amp for sound & picture

Was a rather tricky wiring job and setting up the Harmony 680, it took me near a day.

Can't wait to get the 880 and its a simple download of existing data.