cheap DIY RGB -> Component converter

m00j

Jaycar have just released the kit for the RGB-Component converter that was shown in Silicon chip magazine recently. It is not up on the website yet, but it is in one of their flyers here. It is on page 8, top left.

It is $89.95, so for a saving over the commercially avaliable ones you get the fun of building it yourself!

And in this flyer they have a SCART to RGB converter for $12.95 (middle of page 5), much cheaper than the Dick Smith one.

And in this flyer they have a SCART to RGB converter for $12.95 (middle of page 5), much cheaper than the Dick Smith one.

Yeah ... but ... get the 'Crest' metal one from HN (for $30 minus haggling = $15-20) if you are concerned about PQ with a good HD STB/display. The full metal shielding does make a difference.

Jaycar have just released the kit for the RGB-Component converter that was shown in Silicon chip magazine recently.  It is not up on the website yet, but it is in one of their flyers here.  It is on page 8, top left.

I followed this up to the Silicon Chip Online article. Judging from the number of external connectors in the photo (three), it looks like this will accept only RGB-with-sync-on-green inputs. This probably makes it worthless for TF5000PVRt owners, since the Topfield box doesn't put sync on green.

All a guess on my part; I am still using good ol' YUV to my TV (since the TV wants that or RGBHV) because I'm (apparently one of the few people here) satisfied with the component output of the TF5000.

Bummer, I was going to give it a try on my Toppy.

I have not tried the component output on it yet, but I don't think my box is modded for the better component out. I purchased it sometime around Jan/Feb this year.

I will go pick up one of the Crest adaptors on the weekend if I can find one (I don't like my local HN) and test out my component signal.

Debbie, it isn't just the Topfield that typically doesn't send synch on green, it is most SCART-RGB boxes. The only thing I wonder is whether it has some smart synch detection where it will create synch somehow from the signal without the composite synch feeding into it. How it achieves this, goodness knows? I would love to read the whole article before forking out any money for it.

Regards

I have not tried the component output on it yet, but I don't think my box is modded for the better component out.  I purchased it sometime around Jan/Feb this year.

To clarify, the Toppy I trialled against my DGtec was a recent one. I also confirmed the serial number with Topfield that it had been modded - and I performed Tony's visual check through the top grill. *Still* the component out compared poorly with the DGTec. I suggest that anybody currently happy with their toppy component out *do not* try a direct comparison against a good component STB as you will be upset forever more. Better you don't know. :blink:

M00j...the Cypress RGB to component from Hantrex that costs about $120 delivered does a fantastic job and there have been heaps of people extremely happy including many Toppy owners ....and other box owners. (there is a solution to the problem Mark...and a very good one).

Originally I used to say that it was possible to adjust the Toppy component to be nearly as good as RGB, but the main problem with that process is that to get the Toppy set right on the TV it can mess up the settings for other boxes you might have...If all you have running to the display is the Toppy, and you have a component converted Toppy, then the Toppy component is acceptable on most TV's, although skin colour is the hardest to get right....RGB and the RGB converted to component allows the running of most displays at their default settings.

foss

(there is a solution to the problem Mark...and a very good one).

Yes fossil, the feedback about that Cypress solution on these forums has been very positive but I am adverse to shelling out another $120+ on top of a toppy purchase when there is still a chance it could look worse than my current STB. I'm actually very sad about this as I know that the toppy is an otherwise excellent machine - way ahead of its time. It's a rare that anything electronic bought nowadays inspires such as passionate following as the toppy does.

• 1 year later...
I followed this up to the Silicon Chip Online article. Judging from the number of external connectors in the photo (three), it looks like this will accept only RGB-with-sync-on-green inputs. This probably makes it worthless for TF5000PVRt owners, since the Topfield box doesn't put sync on green.

All a guess on my part; I am still using good ol' YUV to my TV (since the TV wants that or RGBHV) because I'm (apparently one of the few people here) satisfied with the component output of the TF5000.

FYI, there is a supplementary article in July 2005 Silicon Chip which details a mod (additional circuitry) to allow the inclusion of sync pulses which are derived fro a 'spare' composite lead.

Rob.

• 2 years later...

I have a medical camera

that outputs Analog RGB (0.7 Vp-p) signal with Sync/HD/VD (2.0 Vp-p)

over a DB9 connector. The output is not a standard CGA output, the

pinouts are non-standard.

I have a breakout cable that can give RGB+Sync or RGBHV from this.. But these are not TTL-level VGA inputs..

Does this article and kit use the voltage levels that I am using ??

I was wondering someone could suggest a way of taking the Analog RGB+Sync

outputs and converting them to Component ? Thanks!

FYI, there is a supplementary article in July 2005 Silicon Chip which details a mod (additional circuitry) to allow the inclusion of sync pulses which are derived fro a 'spare' composite lead.

Rob.