LG RT-44SZ60DB(DLP)44"

Hi

I am new to this forum and not very TV savy, so please excusse my ignorance.

Having looked around for ages for a HD TV I think the LG RT-44SZ60DB looks pretty good at a resaonalbe price ($3400) but would appreciate some asstiatane with the following as the sales people are a little vague.

I think this model will support the following.

SD & HD free to air. (with the use of a set top box)

UHF/VHF analog

Can connect to a PC Video card.

Has anyone purchased this model. Your comments would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi

I am new to this forum and not very TV savy, so please excusse my ignorance.

Having looked around for ages for a HD TV I think the LG RT-44SZ60DB looks pretty good at a resaonalbe price ($3400) but would appreciate some asstiatane with the following as the sales people are a little vague.

I think this model will support the following.

SD & HD free to air. (with the use of a set top box)

UHF/VHF analog

Can connect to a PC Video card.

Has anyone purchased this model. Your comments would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

G'day

I'd also like to know more about this TV as I'm having TV dillemas at the moment.

I want a VERY high quality picture under 60cm or under depth of TV plus over 86cm widescreen

I hate LCD and plasma so it's RP LCD, DLP and SOME CRT's for me

This TV sounds nice, anyone seen one in the flesh?

:blink: I purcahsed the LG DLP TV, LG HD Receiver(LST-4100p) and Pan DVD Home theater sound system(SC-HT878) on Saturday. Finisnhed installing on Sunday and am really happy.

I have also connected Playstaion 2 and Pan video cassette recorder but havent worked out how to record to the it yet but no problems play through to AV2.

I will keep you posted in the follwoing week but so far it al looks great...better than the Teac crt.

Price TV 3350

5year warty 385

Set top 545

DVD Home 500

Theatre

Betta Electrical

Chandlers would have done the same deal.

• 2 weeks later...

So far so good.

Did speak to an LG sevice tech who informed me that there was a bad patch of power supplies but it was to an earlier model.

The only real problem I have had is with ABC in the morning were some out of sync reception is noted but suspect this is more to do with ABC broad cast than the set top box or TV.

My final comment is that I am very happy with the TV and system that I have put together, great picture and hope it remains stable and reliable in the future.

If I have any problems i will post them.

Got this model as a replacement for my RT-44SZ80LB LCD Rear Pro - as described in this thread. Paid $3400 for my LCD Rear Pro, then got this set as a straight replacement so in effect I paid $3400 for a new RT-44SZ60DB :blink:

So far I'm loving the picture quality and overall look of the set. Virtually the same as a good Plasma set, with a nice "plasma-like" screen appearance too.

Here's my custom settings for the TV if anyone wants to try em. I'm still calibrating the image:

Contrast: 75

Brightness: 75

Color: 55

Sharpness: 37

XD: On

^Updated after playing around with them some more :P

Seems to work well for me on both DVD and HDTV tuner through component inputs. All in all I hope this set holds up in the quality control department because performance-wise it's a great set - and believe me I've seen a fair few different sets from all the major brands in the last few months!

Just an update for anyone with the same TV, after calibration with Digital Video Essentials my settings are now:

Contrast: 50

Brightness: 89

Color: 76

Sharpness: 0

It's an amazing difference and the image quality now is near perfect!

Thanks PersianImmortal....will try those settings you have recommened.

I really like this TV the only comment so far is that when your viewing a sporting event e.g football, the grass is very fluorescent and plurry compared to a crt. Could be my settings.

It sounds like your settings. Definitely no colour problems here. However I did have to calibrate the colours using DVE's colour filter, and then I went into the actually TV's service menu and turned down the Red Gain value which was set much higher than the Blue or Green gain (RG was 111, BG 105, GG 103 - so I set RG to 105). Now the colors look fantastic!

It sounds like your settings. Definitely no colour problems here. However I did have to calibrate the colours using DVE's colour filter, and then I went into the actually TV's service menu and turned down the Red Gain value which was set much higher than the Blue or Green gain (RG was 111, BG 105, GG 103 - so I set RG to 105). Now the colors look fantastic!

Sounds like you know what you are doing.

Could you please clarify what is 'Digital Video Essential', 'DVE colour filter' and where is TV's service menu?

Digital Video Essentials is a DVD designed to let you know more about how to set up your home theater, as well as containing a step by step tutorial for adjusting your settings and giving you more info about what they're meant to do. Lots of test patterns and a special color filter as well so that you can fine tune everything. Well worth getting, but hard to find in DVD stores - I'd recommend trying JB Hifi - they should have a copy in one of their stores.

I don't really know that much about what I'm doing, I just realised that after calibrating my colours the red was still far too high. You can get to the Service Menu by pressing your Menu button on the remote and the Menu button on the TV at the same time for around 5 seconds. However do not alter anything in there if you're not confident as unauthorized changes can technically void your warranty not to mention screw up your system.

The Red, Blue and Green Gain values were under the second service menu entry, and I saw straight away the red was much higher than the others. DVE tells you that ramping up the red is a trick manufacturers do to make flesh tones more vibrant when their sets are on the showroom floor. So I altered it and lo and behold the color become normal in "reddish" scenes (like faces by a campfire).

Get DVE, it is well worth it - I spent $28 buying it.

Digital Video Essentials is a DVD designed to let you know more about how to set up your home theater, as well as containing a step by step tutorial for adjusting your settings and giving you more info about what they're meant to do. Lots of test patterns and a special color filter as well so that you can fine tune everything. Well worth getting, but hard to find in DVD stores - I'd recommend trying JB Hifi - they should have a copy in one of their stores.

I don't really know that much about what I'm doing, I just realised that after calibrating my colours the red was still far too high. You can get to the Service Menu by pressing your Menu button on the remote and the Menu button on the TV at the same time for around 5 seconds. However do not alter anything in there if you're not confident as unauthorized changes can technically void your warranty not to mention screw up your system.

The Red, Blue and Green Gain values were under the second service menu entry, and I saw straight away the red was much higher than the others. DVE tells you that ramping up the red is a trick manufacturers do to make flesh tones more vibrant when their sets are on the showroom floor. So I altered it and lo and behold the color become normal in "reddish" scenes (like faces by a campfire).

Get DVE, it is well worth it - I spent $28 buying it.

Thanks for the info.

I tried your recommeneded settings and already it has improved what was already a good picture put find that the 0 setting for sharpness does not work for me.

Will try the service menu and to obtain DVE. What setting have you adjusted for Tint?

My current settings are as follows:

Contrast: 60

Brightness: 75

Colour: 70

Sharpness: 30

Tint: 0

If your set has the same preset factory settings as mine (which it should) then you should definitely go into the Service Menu and turn down Red Gain to 105 from 111, as that both greatly improves picture quality and allows you to turn up your color a bit more.

My Tint is on 0, mainly because I fixed the red up in the service menu.

Once you get DVE you'll find that you can calibrate your contrast and brightness a bit better, and you'll also see by using the test patterns that sharpness of around 0 (or even up to about 5 or 10) is optimal because anything after that is just adding noise (white ghosting around lines, jaggedness, and "grain").

Also the settings depend on your DVD player and what type of connection you're using. I'm using a cheaper Sony 575P with PAL Progressive Scan, and Monster Component cables, which improves the picture quality and sharpness naturally, hence my lower sharpness settings don't result in a blurry picture.

If your set has the same preset factory settings as mine (which it should) then you should definitely go into the Service Menu and turn down Red Gain to 105 from 111, as that both greatly improves picture quality and allows you to turn up your color a bit more.

My Tint is on 0, mainly because I fixed the red up in the service menu.

Once you get DVE you'll find that you can calibrate your contrast and brightness a bit better, and you'll also see by using the test patterns that sharpness of around 0 (or even up to about 5 or 10) is optimal because anything after that is just adding noise (white ghosting around lines, jaggedness, and "grain").

Also the settings depend on your DVD player and what type of connection you're using. I'm using a cheaper Sony 575P with PAL Progressive Scan, and Monster Component cables, which improves the picture quality and sharpness naturally, hence my lower sharpness settings don't result in a blurry picture.

Ok...sounds logical. I am using componet 1 with supplied cables.

I will try to obtain DVE during the week and let you know how I go....might be a able to download on the internet.

I have a few questions, I hope you don't mind.

Have you heard about THX optimizer? it apparently checks for audio and video settings by performing tests e.g patterns.

Before I try to go into the service menu, is it easy to save and get out of it without affecting other fatory settings?

I have a Panasonic DVD SA-HT520 home theater sound system. It also has adjustment for contrast, colour etc.....should I leave that alone and just adjust the TV settings?

Thanks for your advice...appreciate it.

No point in downloading DVE - you need the special plastic color filter it comes with, plus you would have to download the high-res version of it which would be 4+ GB so I doubt it is available in warez form.

THX Optimizer is a very, very basic version of what DVE does. Nowhere near as complex and I've used it in the past without any real improvement in my settings.

I suggest you turn off all other forms of color/sharpness/etc. enhancement on your DVD player and home theater gear. Turn off any "Cinema" or "Dynamic" etc. modes on your DVD player etc. Then try to calibrate your TV using DVE, then only if you can't reach a good compromise should you use the additional processing the other equipment adds.

When you make a change in the service menu it automatically "saves" it - you don't have to save it as such. Just note down what the original settings are before changing them. You will have to open and see the service menu for yourself and familiarize yourself with it to see what i mean.

/EDIT

Did some more calibrating to get better black levels last night and my settings are now:

Contrast: 62

Brightness: 88

Color: 70

Sharpness: 5

Basically I increased the contrast and lowered color to compensate. Looks roughtly the same as before, except blacks are richer and there's less 'washed out' appearance :blink:

No point in downloading DVE - you need the special plastic color filter it comes with, plus you would have to download the high-res version of it which would be 4+ GB so I doubt it is available in warez form.

THX Optimizer is a very, very basic version of what DVE does. Nowhere near as complex and I've used it in the past without any real improvement in my settings.

I suggest you turn off all other forms of color/sharpness/etc. enhancement on your DVD player and home theater gear. Turn off any "Cinema" or "Dynamic" etc. modes on your DVD player etc. Then try to calibrate your TV using DVE, then only if you can't reach a good compromise should you use the additional processing the other equipment adds.

When you make a change in the service menu it automatically "saves" it - you don't have to save it as such. Just note down what the original settings are before changing them. You will have to open and see the service menu for yourself and familiarize yourself with it to see what i mean.

/EDIT

Did some more calibrating to get better black levels last night and my settings are now:

Contrast: 62

Color: 70

Sharpness: 5

Basically I increased the contrast and lowered color to compensate. Looks roughtly the same as before, except blacks are richer and there's less 'washed out' appearance :blink:

Ok....I did some research on the web last night and realized that I would not be able to download.

The prices vary considerably for DVE $74.99 - $26.99.

There are two versions:

1 DVD PAL home theater Setup DVDI-01710

2 DVE High Definition 1080i DVDI-3005 at $159.99

I am guessing that I will need the 2nd option?

What PSM setting and screen type are you using.

My PSM is user and 16:9 for screen type...dont know what this means?

Thanks again for your information and help.

Will keep in touch.

I got the PAL Component version. It's already presented in high resolution anyway, and to be honest I don't think it's worth an extra $120 for the HDTV version.

I use 16:9 (pretty much have to for a widescreen TV), and PSM is user because as soon as you change a setting like color or contrast it automatically becomes User.

I got the PAL Component version. It's already presented in high resolution anyway, and to be honest I don't think it's worth an extra $120 for the HDTV version.

I use 16:9 (pretty much have to for a widescreen TV), and PSM is user because as soon as you change a setting like color or contrast it automatically becomes User.

Thanks....will keep in touch

After more messing around, I've settled back close to my original "calibrated" settings (fine tuned) - which are:

Contrast: 50

Color: 74

Sharpness: 10

I will try those settings.

Latest update.

My settings are as follows:

Red gain 106.

Blue gain 108.

Green gain 102.

Contrast 74

Brightness 88

colour 75

sharpness 10

Just about what you have recommened.

When I turened red gain down I also found that the blue and green also needed minor adjustment.

The all round picture is fantastic when playing DVD or watching HD TV.

Thanks for all your help....much appreicated and have learn't a lot. I will contiune to keep this post updated.

Sounds good! I've settled on:

Contrast: 51

Color: 72

Sharpness: 15

(basically almost identical to before with a few more tweaks again).

The main reason I keep my contrast low is because I've found that higher contrast levels both add "grain" to images and also just make the screen look "glarey" in my eyes.

I would also love to lower Sharpness to 10 for DVDs and raise it to around 25-30 for HDTV, but this set doesn't allow different settings for different sources so I've settled for 15 as a compromise.

At the moment playing back a good DVD, especially one with a clean source such as the Star Wars or Indiana Jones sets looks absolutely perfect. Beats the pants off any Standard Definition Plasma screens, and HDTV on the High Definition channels looks way better than on HD Plasmas!

Very happy with this set, no problems just enjoyment :blink:

Sounds good! I've settled on:

Contrast: 51

Color: 72

Sharpness: 15

(basically almost identical to before with a few more tweaks again).

The main reason I keep my contrast low is because I've found that higher contrast levels both add "grain" to images and also just make the screen look "glarey" in my eyes.

I would also love to lower Sharpness to 10 for DVDs and raise it to around 25-30 for HDTV, but this set doesn't allow different settings for different sources so I've settled for 15 as a compromise.

At the moment playing back a good DVD, especially one with a clean source such as the Star Wars or Indiana Jones sets looks absolutely perfect. Beats the pants off any Standard Definition Plasma screens, and HDTV on the High Definition channels looks way better than on HD Plasmas!

Very happy with this set, no problems just enjoyment :blink:

I agree with your observation, that the picture is great.

Will try to tweaking the contrast again and wait for a few days to view different media and will let you know how I go.

Glad I purchased this set.

• 2 weeks later...

After recently buying the Rocky box DVD set and watching it, I did some more fine tuning :blink:

Current settings are now:

Contrast: 53

Brightness: 87

Color: 71

Sharpness: 17

Because the Rocky movies are a bit older, the above settings helped remove "grain" from the film without reducing image quality. In fact other films and HDTV look better too :P

Experimented some more, turned off the XD Engine (As per this thread) and now my current settings are:

Brightness: 84

Color: 60

Sharpness: 18

XD: Off

This has reduced the graininess of almost every type of DVD (old or new). The grain was getting to me, and it was because XD turns up the gamma (the overall brightness of the scene) and hence really highlights every single grain and dot on the screen. Turning off XD and adjusting my settings as above to increase contrast and brightness has made a great difference. Colors look more natural too :blink:

Experimented some more, turned off the XD Engine (As per this thread) and now  my current settings are:

Brightness: 84

Color: 60

Sharpness: 18

XD: Off

This has reduced the graininess of almost every type of DVD (old or new). The grain was getting to me, and it was because XD turns up the gamma (the overall brightness of the scene) and hence really highlights every single grain and dot on the screen. Turning off XD and adjusting my settings as above to increase contrast and brightness has made a great difference. Colors look more natural too :blink:

OK...thanks for the information.

Will try your suggested settings for a few days. I have already noticed the grain has decreased.

Have you left your colours in the service menu the same?