Sony DVD player NTSC to PAL query

Hi all,

I have a new Sony slimline DVD player connected to an analogue widescreen tv with PAL and NTSC (both modes) and AUTO colour settings.

I have a copy of the Vicar of Dibley which states it is NTSC region 4 and will play in Australian DVD players provided the TV has NTSC capability.

The disk plays back ok - but the Sony main menu screen changes from normal blue to green when the disk is inserted. Also the skin tones are quite pinky/purple.

I have other region 4 PAL discs which dont make the background change colour

I have been through all permutations of the DVD output (PAL. NTSC et) and also on the tv.

Is there any way to improve picture colour or is it like this?

Thanks

Thank you AlanH.

Problem solved. Now if Sony were being considerate they might like to mention that in their DVD player instructions - a little reminder that people will need to set their tv sets correctly.

Thank you so much.

I did wonder why everyone had such terrible purple skin - some awful disease! ha ha

Thanks again.

Thank you AlanH.

Problem solved. Now if Sony were being considerate they might like to mention that in their DVD player instructions - a little reminder that people will need to set their tv sets correctly.

Thank you so much.

I did wonder why everyone had such terrible purple skin - some awful disease! ha ha

Thanks again.

One of the biggest technical advantages of PAL over NTSC is its handling of colour. In the early days of NTSC viewers needed to constantly adjust the hue to avoid just the problem you saw. NTSC has since been tweaked to give more stability but is still not as reliable as PAL.

That said I recently played an NTSC disk (for the first time) on my TEAC player to my Panasonic TV with everything on AUTO and had no problems at all. The only way I knew the TV was receivng NTSC was because the menus changed.

The DVD I was playing was a TIVO recording.