Tosh HD PVR on way....woohoo!

"Toshiba entertainment division distributor Castel is getting ready to roll out a swag of new Tosh product including a nice High Definition Digital Set Top Box with 160GB Hard Disc Drive. "

"the must have is the HDD-J35 HD DTV Box with 160GB HDD, priced at $1599 (RRP). Claimed as the first STB in the market to record High Definition the 160GB disk holds up to 17 hours. A comprehensive selection of output & input connections (including RS232C), a universal remote and the ability to up-convert SD broadcasts sets a new standard for PVRs."

http://www.smarthouse.com.au/ArticlesByTop...ndPlasmaTV/1819

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oooh, it has RS232C... it *must* be powerful...

I think even those $100 STBs have RS232!

hehehe you said it Santa...I new it wouldn't be long before one of the Toppy evangalists pipped up.!!! sorry tonymy01 your toppy endowed signature gave the game away!

I did laugh myself though about the tosh propaganda trumpetting the new boxes RS232 port - sh!t I think even a IBM 8086 xt PC(with the twin 5 1.4" drives) back in the late 80's had one of those RS 232 ports!

Shhhh! Dont tell the Toppy Brigades!  :P  :blink:

Nahhhh! It doesn't have two tuners, does it?  :P

Only 2 tuners? I heard this puppies gonna have 7 tuners! UK FTA (about 100 channels all from the comfort of your Australian Living Room, ALL the US cable channels over satellite, the ASTRA Satellite from Europe, ALL US FTA TV, US DirecTV, Australian DVB FTA and Foxtel!!) What more could you want! I'm sure I read somewhere it even has a built in 2cm satellite dish. God knows you can even hear the little green men talking on Mars!!

But seriously, it's about time we had some decent equipment from "known" brands in Australia. This DVB thing in Australia is a "hotch-potch". The US has had Tivo for years. And they say that Australia has one of the highest "take ups" of new technology in the world. It's a pity we don't seem to see that "new" technology when it comes to TV or Home Theatre.

Oooh, it has RS232C... it *must* be powerful...

I think even those $100 STBs have RS232!

Sorry to go a little OT, but this topic has brought back awful memories of the "Spitting Image" song from the 1980s entitled "RS232 Interface Lead", the lyrics to which went "RS232, RS232, RS232...... Interface Leeeeaaaaad" (repeat x 100).

Of course, probably only a handful of poms on this list will have a clue what I'm talking about :blink:

Well there you go, HDMI, twin tuners and able to record 17 hours of HD. Now I am impressed. Appears the TOPPY just found a real contender. And at a price for $1599. I imagine that makes a street price of $1300-$1400?.

Yeah, but hours is nothing to do with the box, and everything to do with the HDD size and broadcasted bitrate. Do the maths and you can easily determine how many hours particular HDD sizes will get you.

The thing that the Toppy will still have over this is dual tuner. I haven't watched a minute of analogue since getting the TF5000PVRt with its dual tuners.

Regards

Yeah, but hours is nothing to do with the box, and everything to do with the HDD size and broadcasted bitrate.  Do the maths and you can easily determine how many hours particular HDD sizes will get you.

The thing that the Toppy will still have over this is dual tuner.  I haven't watched a minute of analogue since getting the TF5000PVRt with its dual tuners.   

Regards

Ummm did you actually read it? The Toshiba will be twin tuner.

I hope people with Topfields won't feel the need to barrack for their purchase just because that's what they bought many months before this new stuff comes out. We all know the toppy is the king at this stage, doesn't mean we can't get excited about what's coming around the corner?

Yeah, but hours is nothing to do with the box, and everything to do with the HDD size and broadcasted bitrate.  Do the maths and you can easily determine how many hours particular HDD sizes will get you.

The thing that the Toppy will still have over this is dual tuner.  I haven't watched a minute of analogue since getting the TF5000PVRt with its dual tuners.   

Regards

the tosh is twin tuner too tonym - check the links, So looks like the toppy doesn't have that aspect over the tosh.

I haven't been able to determine if you can record two programmes at the same time - I assume you can (they only mention the recording of one and watching another).

BTW: How many people here are waiting to kick sand in the poor Toppy's face!?!? :blink::P Sounds like a few people have noticed the automatic-toppy-reply-bots that cruise the forum. (*)

*Tongue-firmly-in-cheek, guys ... I wont blaspheme the Toppy ... promise!

Command Line:

Linus:18:55> TopBotLauncher -Forums all -Detect "*Toppy*" "*PVR*" "*Works*" "*Better*" "*Strong*" "*Recorder*" "*Good*" "*Mirage*" -SampleRate 10 -ResponseMode Immediate

OK OK!!! No more *it has twin tuner* posts!! The original message in this thread, and that Smarthouse link don't mention twin tuners, I have now checked out that Nobby's non-quoting DBA link in here to see that it mentions twin tuners now.

You think "Smarthouse" would have made a bit of noise about this, it is a must have feature for a PVR I reckon!

Regards

Edited by tonymy01