hooking dvd recorder to digital foxtel

I've been reading forum and noticed several times that hooking up digital foxtel to a DVD recorder may be more difficult than I thought it was.

Before I upgraded to digital foxtel I had my SonyRGX7 dvd recorder hooked up to foxtel box with the yellow,red &white cables then to the tv from dvd and the tv ariel straight into dvd unit and foxtel arial into foxtel. I've only got an anologue tv 68cm Panasonic. It worked well and programs could be recorded from tv & fox.

When foxtel came to set up and change over they hooked it up to the vcr player I rang and said y didnt u hook up where it was and was told theyre not digital experts only foxtel and so they couldnt.

I'm going to have a go tomorrow and see what happens.

Also I was thinking of getting a 3 in 1 stb/dvd/vcr unit Samsung and hooking up similar way. Any comments regarding choice. I was thinking of keeping cost down by getting one not 2 [stb & vcr].

and less cables ect.

Any helpful comments appreciated.

I've been reading forum and noticed several times that hooking up digital foxtel to a DVD recorder may be more difficult than I thought it was.

Before I upgraded to digital foxtel I had  my SonyRGX7 dvd recorder hooked up to foxtel box with the yellow,red &white cables then  to the tv from dvd  and the tv ariel straight into dvd unit and foxtel arial into foxtel. I've only got an anologue tv 68cm Panasonic. It worked well and programs could be recorded from tv & fox.

When foxtel came to set up and change over they hooked it up to the vcr player I rang and said y didnt u hook up where it was and was told theyre not digital experts only foxtel  and so they couldnt.

I'm going to have a go tomorrow and see what happens.

Also I was thinking of getting a 3 in 1 stb/dvd/vcr unit Samsung  and hooking up similar way. Any comments regarding choice. I was thinking of keeping cost down by  getting one not 2 [stb & vcr].

and less cables ect.

Any helpful comments appreciated.

Digigirl,

It should be a fairly simple matter to connect your digital STU to your DVD recorder. You need to see what inputs your recorder is capable of taking. The yellow, red and white cables are composite connections, and while these are OK, you will get a better picture if you can upgrade to S-video or RGB (if your recorder accepts either). The aerial (RF) connections should be the same as your previous connection, although if you buy a digital STB, you probably won't want to use the analogue tuner again anyway. If you already have DVD recorder and a VCR, why don't you just get a STB instead of a three in one? For the same price as a combo unit, you could get a STB with a PVR (hard disk recorder), which are terrific.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi I a bit of a newb in regards to dvd recorders, this is my first lesson I guess. I'd like to know if using any DVD recorder, either harddisk or straight to dvd, if recording from foxtel digital, does it record and playback in 5.1? (or whatever it actually is on foxtel showtime channels or boxoffice)

Thanks TK