NTSC TV

Hi Guyz.

I have only just found this forum. I am quite amaze with the amount of information this forum has. Anyway, I am taking a business trip to USA. I was thinking to pick up a 32" LCD TV on the way back. However I noticed the TV would only support NTSC mode. Is there a way around the problem. Is it worth going through the trouble? The one that I am interested in buying is Sharp’s AQUOS LC-32GD4U or LC-32G4U.

http://www.sharpusa.com/products/ModelLand...58,1388,00.html

I was thinking to pick up a 32" LCD TV on the way back.  However I noticed the TV would only support NTSC mode.  Is there a way around the problem.  Is it worth going through the trouble?

It's not a "problem" it is a different standard, and it is designed that way.

Bit of a shame as they are cheaper there, but if it is NTSC only, then it is useless.

JB

• 2 years later...

Unable to post a new topic, so I hope this works

:blink:

Have an NTSC Plasma TV and have an LG LST-5402P

TV has HDMI input and also component ( YPbPr)

However cannot see anything on TV when using either HDMI or component connections from LG STB

I was under the impression the output from HDMI and component should be ok?

Am I wrong? What am I doing wrong or will it not work?

Please help????

Thx in advance

Unable to post a new topic, so I hope this works

Have an NTSC Plasma TV and have an LG LST-5402P

TV has HDMI input and also component ( YPbPr)

However cannot see anything on TV when using either HDMI or component connections from LG STB

I was under the impression the output from HDMI and component should be ok?

Am I wrong? What am I doing wrong or will it not work?

Please help????

Thx in advance

Looks like it doesnt recognise the 50 hz video going into it.

Of course Peter D had it about face the USA has 60 hz 59.94 hz actually but near enough to 60.

Slightly confused here and perhaps someone could clarify.

Analogue TV comes in PAL (625 lines, 576 of which are viewable) and NTSC(America, Japan etc - 525 lines, 480 of which are viewable)

Hence the 480 pixel vertical resolution of SD plasma panels which are obviously geared to the US market and stuff the PAL market.

I thought that the advent of Digital TV replaced all the previous standards with 576i, 576p, 720p, 1080i and 1080p

So is there still some sort of 480 i or p standard out there? Is American SD digital tv 480 or 576?

I was under the impression that once NTSC and PAL were phased out the planet would be on the same set of standards. :blink::D

I was under the impression that once NTSC and PAL were phased out the planet would be on the same set of standards. :blink::D

It'd help to make the distinction btwn a TV's input (signals) and output (native resolution).

True they keep SD panels here at 480 output, but put in a PAL analogue tuner, make it accept 50Hz digital inputs, include a rescaler 1080/720/576 down to 480, then these panels qualify as Aust TVs.

In short, Analogue signals: NTSC & PAL

Digital signals: 480i/p 60Hz, 576i/p 50Hz, 720p 60/50Hz, 1080i 60/50Hz.

US units accept all the 60Hz

Aust units accept all 60Hz & 50Hz above except 480i/p.

Still a little confused (<- newbie)

So, inorder to receive TV signals I will need a PAL tuner? - where would this plug in and where do you get one?

A STB will not cut the mustard?

I thought since I already have STB , the only problem with the HDMI output is the Hz, is there any way to change this?

All,

Be aware of the following;

Assume that when you return to Australia you are going to use this display from a Set Top Box with either HDMI or component (Y, Pr, Pb) outputs. The American tuner (channel selector receiver is useless here because they use ASTC and we use the superior DVB-T

The display must be able to display signals at 25 frame/s and not the North American 29.94 or 30 frame/s. You must get proof of this.

The resolutions of 1920 x 1080p and 1920 x 1080i and 720p are identical but for the number of frame/s, you also need 576i for standard definition.

Do not buy a display which is 720 x 480i called Standard definition in the North America. The picture sharpness is worse than our standard TV.

Blue Ray, HD DVD players may be ok depending on if you can tell them to play at 24 or 25 frame/s

Before you purchase any display you must find out from the manufacturer the following;

Can the display show 25 frame/s or 50 field/s signals from its HDMI or component input?

Can the display be powered by 240 V 50 Hz or do you need a transformer? If a transformer is required how many VA does it have to have. These can be very heavy and expensive.

Purchase a service manual which contains the circuit

Contact the Australian distributor to find out if there is a similar model available in Australia? This may help in the servicing of the unit.

Find out the address of the spare parts supplier in the US

Check with customs as you may have to pay GST etc.

Find out the shipping costs and insurance incase the screen is broken in transit.

Lastly NTSC and PAL only refer to the way colour is carried in analog signals.

TJC,

The only way you will get a PAL tuner is to use a video recorder, however if the display will only show NTSC analog, it will not help. As I said you need to use a set top box. HDMI will carry any digital signal, but the display must accept the number of frame/s used by the broadcaster in our case 25 frame/s

AlanH

Hi Alanh,

Thanks for the info

We already have this unit, it came back with us, when we moved back from the US.

I have checked the manual and it is 60hz :D

Does this mean I am up the creek without the proverbial paddle?

No way of making this work?? :blink:

-T

No way of making this work?? :blink:

Does your plasma TV have s-video inputs? If yes there is a way out.

I used to have a DGTEC stb (no longer with me but I can find the model no for you) that tunes to Aust broadcast & convert output to either NTSC or PAL. Likewise many dvd players can be set to output either.

They definitely worked with my 36" NTSC crt but you'd have to make do with s-video. No solution for HDMI or component that I know of.

Guest Slobber Chops
American tuner (channel selector receiver is useless here because they use ASTC and we use the superior DVB-T
Superior? In what way?