Mpeg 2 editing

I need to crop some clips that i have recorded in 16x9 to 4x3. Is it possible to do this without re-encoding the file.

I also which to be able to put it to DV format as i wish to edit it in finla cut pro. is there a program that i can use to convert it into this format?

Thanks for your help love the forum.

Think about it for a second or two... you are ripping the MPEG frame to shreds, and you don't want to re-encode... not possible.

But, a solution that doesn't involve re-encoding will likely work for you: you can add 4:3 Pan&Scan information to the IFO, then most DVD players in 4:3 Pan&Scan mode will centre cut the footage. I detail how to do this on my website.

Regards

Guest Gizmomelb

hi mrcooms, I take it you are recording on an IBM and you want to edit it on Mac?

If so, you could use an IBM video edit program such as Premiere or Video Vegas (my personal recommendation), which can resize and crop the 16:9 to 4:3 and then spit it out in DV .AVI (type I or II), MPEG2 or any other format you want. Be warned that doing it this way you are re-encoding the source material, so you will lose some of the source video detail.

If you are authoring just for DVD then I recommend setting the Pan and Scan flag as tonymy01 suggests (it really is very easy to do), otherwise if you are wanting to use recorded TV parts in your own DV project then yes, you will need to re-encode to 4:3 to match your project source footage.

Yeah i need to put it to DV and be able to edit it in Final Cut Pro. I find it silly that u pay all this money for the software yet u cant import mpeg-2 files. once edited it will be put onto MiniDV tapes for further use. Im pretty sure FCP has a tool to crop the 16x9 image so its jsut a matter of changing the .mpeg to DV.