Problems with Foxtel-> plasma connection

Guest mhillman

Guest mhillman

I've just purchased a Samsung PS-42D4S 42" plasma TV, with which I'm very happy. Good price. Nice picture.

As a first move I connect the Foxtel UEC STB via AV cables. OK picture, but we all know we can do better.

So, I get one of those SCART -> S-Video adapters and connect that up. Much better picture if somewhat ugly cabling. Ah, we can do even better than that.

So I buy an RGB -> Component converter. Picture has severe green, blue and red wavy lines on it. Converter supplier tells me it's because Foxtel is interlaced and plasma is progressive scan. I can't change either end for compatibility.

I'm very technically minded, but I do find this all extremely frustrating. How does your average home user cope with all the issues and complexity?

Anyway, at the end of all this I am absolutely astounded that the Foxtel STB is so limited in its capability. When I bought Digital Pay TV, I assumed I would get Component quality. Where's the component output on the Foxtel box? I hear Pace boxes have it (some of them), so when is UEC getting it? Even if they do implement component output, hopefully they'll implement scan mode selection. The Samsung is the latest model, so it's suprising that it's incompatible with Foxtel.

I feel like complaining to Foxtel, but would it do any good? Where should I complain to get maximum effect?

I've just purchased a Samsung PS-42D4S 42" plasma TV, with which I'm very happy. Good price. Nice picture.

As a first move I connect the Foxtel UEC STB via AV cables. OK picture, but we all know we can do better.

So, I get one of those SCART -> S-Video adapters and connect that up. Much better picture if somewhat ugly cabling. Ah, we can do even better than that.

So I buy an RGB -> Component converter. Picture has severe green, blue and red wavy lines on it. Converter supplier tells me it's because Foxtel is interlaced and plasma is progressive scan. I can't change either end for compatibility.

I'm very technically minded, but I do find this all extremely frustrating. How does your average home user cope with all the issues and complexity?

Anyway, at the end of all this I am absolutely astounded that the Foxtel STB is so limited in its capability. When I bought Digital Pay TV, I assumed I would get Component quality. Where's the component output on the Foxtel box? I hear Pace boxes have it (some of them), so when is UEC getting it? Even if they do implement component output, hopefully they'll implement scan mode selection. The Samsung is the latest model, so it's suprising that it's incompatible with Foxtel.

I feel like complaining to Foxtel, but would it do any good? Where should I complain to get maximum effect?

The picture you describe would imply you aren't getting the correct signal to your plasma screen. I have a UEC STU running through a panasonic DVD recorder that acts as a RGB to component converter, and my picture quality is excellent. Did you buy an active convertor (around $120) or just one of the scart to component adaptors, which do nothing if your unit doesn't output component (which, as you have griped, the UECs don't). You need one of these http://www.australiandigitaltv.com/accessories/rgbcomp.htm or put up with S-video.

Guest mhillman

I have the unit you mention. The problem is that the EUC outputs an interlaced scan component picture. The Plasma is progressive. I can't change either end for compatibility. I'm sending it back.

Sounds like you have been told crock. The Samsung should handle interlace component, just as it handles Composite/S-Video interlace. If it can not handle interlace component, which I doubt, then dont blame the UEC box as SD broadcast video has been interlace since it's inception, and by the way the whole planets bradcast video system works that way.

Sounds to me like you should be ranting about cr@p S@msung rather than other way around.

Cyril

Guest mhillman
Sounds to me like you should be ranting about cr@p S@msung rather than other way around.

Cyril

You might be right Cyril. I blame both Foxtel & Samsung. I blame Foxtel for outputting the generally useless RGB signal, and Samsung for failing to handle an interlaced signal (apparently). Back when I was really niave, I just assumed there'd be a nice optical fibre link from Digital STB to digital TV's. How wrong I was. It seems amazing to me that the highest quality standard (Component) requires FIVE RCA connectors to pipe it arround. Why, oh why, isn't there a standard single cable containing all 5 signals. Now I'm starting to rant about other things. It all seems to be a cable management and standards nightmare.

Cyril

You might be right Cyril. I blame both Foxtel & Samsung. I blame Foxtel for outputting the generally useless RGB signal, and Samsung for failing to handle an interlaced signal (apparently). Back when I was really niave, I just assumed there'd be a nice optical fibre link from Digital STB to digital TV's. How wrong I was. It seems amazing to me that the highest quality standard (Component) requires FIVE RCA connectors to pipe it arround. Why, oh why, isn't there a standard single cable containing all 5 signals. Now I'm starting to rant about other things. It all seems to be a cable management and standards nightmare.

Component only requires 3 RCA cables, unless you are also inlcuding the 2 RCS audio cables. If not, you must be talking about RGBHV, which requires 5 cables (or alternatively a 15pin computer monitor cable).

On the "magical single cable front", that HAS been developed, its a standard Digital Video + Digtial Audio link on the one cable. its called HDMI.

You can read about it here.

http://www.hdmi.org/

Its slowly starting to make inroads, many devices that currently use it only support video by the link, but that will change. IMHO however, electronics manufacturers are dragging their feet, but its difficult for them, HDMI costs money to add to devices and not many people will even use that feature, so why will they pay extra for it?

Danny.

Terminal

TV System

PAL - B/G, D/K, I, l/l

SECAM - B/G, D/K

NTSC - 3.58/VIT/4.43

Component

2 (input) - 480i/p, 576i/p, 720p, 1080i

A/V Composite

1 (input)

S-Video(Din-4p)

2 (input)

Digital RGB

1(D-Sub 21 Pin), Audio(Phone)

Analog RGB

1(D-Sub 15 Pin), Audio(Phone)

Sound Output

SRS Tru Surround XT, Nicam, A2 Stereo, 15W x 2

====================

the manual says that it should work fine. i think its time to check the converter or cables.

Agreed xdz, I would be reeeealy surprised if you Sammy could not deal with interlace component, and your post confirms that. Wonder if the RGB in or YUV out cables have been shuffeled between them selves. Otherwise Id be trying another RGB to YUV converter.

Why blame Foxtel for outputting an generally useless RGB signal, Australia is small compared to the European DVB market where RGB output is the norm Component is not, why not ask for a Pace STB, and wait for the Component firmware to come back on line, then you will save yourself the cost of the converter.

Cyril

Exactly! RGB-SCART is not useless for me, nor anyone who has a Euro-centric rather than Jap-Crap TV... (ok, Sony 80cm HDTV owners need not comment here, I would love one of these 100kg beasties in my loungeroom).

SCART supports so many things too, including automatically triggering the AV in the set, automatically triggering widescreen or 4:3, sending analogue audio, returning composite video back from the set for the VCR, etc etc. I just wish that all devices supported component over SCART too, and then everyone would be happy.

Regards

I just wish that all devices supported component over SCART too, and then everyone would be happy

Tony

I wish the scart connector had screw in tabs like 25way D connector I don't know how many times the connector got loose on one corner and caused me heaps of problems the problems is the cable is rather thick and as you push the equipement in it can leverage itself off :blink:

cheers laurie

Guest mhillman

Perhaps the knowledgable people here could offer comments on another idea.

My Plasma has a PC input which supports 720x400, 640x480, 800x600 and 1024x768. The Foxtel STB has an RGB output. Is there any chance the PC input is compatible with the Foxtel output? I wouldn't need a converter this way. What format is the Foxtel signal?

• 2 weeks later...

rant blah blah blah etc

You have my sympathy. I had a problem with the UEC connecting directly to my Plasma some months ago. Different brand. I have a Panasonic.

My issue had to do with the Scart to s-video converter. What appeared on my plasma was black&white and shades of blue, no other colours. However once I ran the signal through a AV receiver it all came good. I now have a pretty good s-video signal to my plasma.

Good luck figuring out your problem.

Craig

mhillman

Foxtel RGB format is RGsB and The PC input on your samsung panel is RGBHV, slightly different format that isn't compatible.

I think the Samsung panels are quite good when you consider price.

So it has no direct RGB inputs on that model that's why you need the converter?

Is it a HD or SD model?

Doesn't S-Video look very good?

My Plasma has a PC input which supports 720x400, 640x480, 800x600 and 1024x768

mhillman

Forget it,if its a PC input then it will always be 4x3!!

cheers laurie

I dont think thats the case.

I have this samsung plasma and I have the stb connected thru the pc input and I get the 16:9 transmissions.

MHillman,

Try hooking your foxtel up through the pc input and I would be interested to know how it looks?

Guest mhillman

I have this samsung plasma and I have the stb connected thru the pc input and I get the 16:9 transmissions.

MHillman,

Try hooking your foxtel up through the pc input and I would be interested to know how it looks?

Where did you get a cable to do this? What are the connections? I'll make my own if need be.

MHillman,

Where did you get a cable to do this? What are the connections? I'll make my own if need be.

Buy this lead:http://www.dse.com.au/cgi-bin/dse.storefront/419ebdb009b023d0273fc0a87f9c0768/Product/View/XH6790

Plug it into set top box and into pc input on plasma.

I just noticed another cable : http://www.dse.com.au/cgi-bin/dse.storefro...uct/View/XH6796

O might try that one just to compare PQ.

Guest mhillman

The Foxtel STB (UEC) only has SCART output, so these cables won't work. What connector on the STB are you using? There's one lablled "Data Service", but I thought that was a serial port.

The Foxtel STB (UEC) only has SCART output, so these cables won't work. What connector on the STB are you using? There's one lablled "Data Service", but I thought that was a serial port.

Oh ok, I thought you had a rgb output from your foxtel stb.

I dont have a foxtel box only a LG 4100 HD set box.

Email me on underworld75@ozemail.com.au as I would like to ask you some questions about your plasma, maybe we can share thoughts and ideas about calibration of PQ for our plasma.

Regards