New Denon's and DVD-R

Hi,

I just bought the wife a Denon 2200 for her tv, (I have my name down foe the 3910 for the HT room)

The 2200 has excellent P.Q. via component. BUT!!!!!!! :P

Lots of problems playing DVD-R copies of my own DVD's, would start up ok but then pause, freeze, picture break up and on one particular copy it would drop the sound after playing for 5 minutes :P

All these discs played without any problem on my Marantz DV4300 !!!

I did a search of the AV Forumn and there is a PROBLEM with Denon players including the 39 series with DVD-R.

Should I still go for the 3910 THAT IS THE QUESTION :blink:

Has any new owners of the 39 series tried DVD-R discs ???

cheers

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Should I still go for the 3910 THAT IS THE QUESTION    :blink:

my question back is 'how often do you try and watch DVD-Rs'?

i don't have any to try out to see whether they're readily compatible or not. no idea if it has anything to do with the disc brand/colour (are there different colours like CD-Rs?), how you burn it, etc.

what are you wanting to achieve with the 3910: universal player/DVD-A/SACD, PQ, SQ, build quality, etc?

so i guess depending on what your priorities are, the 3910 may or may not be your best choice.

:P

Should I still go for the 3910 THAT IS THE QUESTION    :P

my question back is 'how often do you try and watch DVD-Rs'?

i don't have any to try out to see whether they're readily compatible or not. no idea if it has anything to do with the disc brand/colour (are there different colours like CD-Rs?), how you burn it, etc.

what are you wanting to achieve with the 3910: universal player/DVD-A/SACD, PQ, SQ, build quality, etc?

so i guess depending on what your priorities are, the 3910 may or may not be your best choice.

Hi Shiny,

The main reason for the DVD 3910 is for P.Q. as it has an excellent video dac.

There are not enough dvd audio or SACD titles available to warrant the player

for mainly audio quality. Besides I prefer 2 chanel audio anyway.

Surely you must have copies of movies to play on your system :blink:

I have recorded F1 races to my PC and burned them to DVD for archiving, they played ok on the Marantz DV4300, but problimatic when played on the Denon.

You will discover this, when someone gives you a copy of a movie or whatever to play on your New Denon.

Shiny, I would check it out, as soon as possible if I were you, while you still have a chance in order to return the unit.

P.S. Why did you buy the 3910 if you are an Audio purist

cheers

Hi Ohboy

I have a Denon 3910 at home and so far I have tried DVD-R, DVD-RW, DVD+RDL, & CDR's all have played without fault, including some of my home movies which I have put onto DVD-R.

BTW all the discs I have tried to date were not mastered using the same software, I guess that is a good sign...

Lots of problems playing DVD-R copies of my own DVD's, would start up ok but then pause, freeze, picture break up and on one particular copy it would drop the sound after playing for 5 minutes

cheers

Sounds like a media issue.

Ive got an OLD denon dvd-3000 which stated in the user-manual - NOT COMPATABLE WITH DVD-R's.. and its not, with crap quality dvd-r's - it is however fully compatable with 'nice' dvd-r's.

I have flawless results (on my denon dvd3000, and a grundig player) with RITEK 4X (printed face, or IJ printable white face) Media ID RITEKG04. I also have flawless results with Taiyo Yuden (TYG01 from memory) - often used in FujiFilm 1-4X individual jewelcase DVD-R media (grey covers), and TDK 1-4X DVD-R's - however you dont know what they really are until you pop them into your DVD writer and check the media ID. Ive also had flawless results on Pioneer media (not made anymore).

I have problems with PRINCO, Shintaro (supposibly the highest grade of princo's).

Try the Ritek's - i'd recommend buying the branded printed face (have a ritek logo printed on the entire face) in a branded 25 piece spindle 4X speed. I havent tried the 8X yet as ive had flawless results with the 4X - and that extra 7minutes compared to all the hours of preperation isnt really a show stopper for me :-)

Cheers,

Bitey

Hi Ohboy,

I would swap your unit as soon as possible! It might be something as simple as a slight laser mis-alignment that was not picked up by QC.

For example, my Xbox plays practically nothing but MS original DVDs and store-bought CDs! Yet other owners have no trouble with CD-Rs, DVD-Rs, etc.

Ok, for what it's worth, here's my 2c; the DVD-Rs that you have are they labeled with pens (even the ones with which you can supposedly write on the CDs/DVDs)?

If yes, then this is your problem, it's reported on the AVS that the newer Denon's laser is sensitive to the DVD-Rs that's labeled .....

Otherwise it might just be not a properly burned DVD-Rs, Denons, and others are lot more sensitive about properly burned DVD-Rs, ensure that you are verifying at the end of the burn-process and are using decent media, as listed by Mr. Bitey....

If it's none of the above, then you might want to replace the unit and see.....this would be the last resort though...

Hope it helps,

Ritesh

indeed as has been suggested it may be the media/discs you use, but i cannot confirm this.

Surely you must have copies of movies to play on your system  :blink:

You will discover this, when someone gives you a copy of a movie or whatever to play on your New Denon.

Shiny, I would check it out, as soon as possible if I were you, while you still have a chance in order to return the unit.

P.S. Why did you buy the 3910 if you are an Audio purist  

hee,hee, contrary to popular 'habit', i don't own any 'copied' DVD movies, and am quite happy to buy 'original' discs; nor have i ever been given a DVD-R although no doubt that may change some day. perhaps this reflects my watching-habits...of not watching that many DVD's.

for me personally, there were many reasons why the 3910 suited my needs, in particular HDMI output (have always wanted a pioneer plasma). that it is a universal player with excellent SQ is a big bonus and major selling point. obviously PQ output is critical too. that i'm not a true videophile doesn't stop me from wanting or enjoying and appreciating high quality video. :P

but for redbook CDs, i still rely on my dedicated CD player and not the 3910.

but for redbook CDs, i still rely on my dedicated CD player and not the 3910.

:blink:

I am the same, I still use my CD player for my CD's.

Regarding the DVD-R & 3910, I have tried both the branded disc's i.e. the ones with the brand plastered over the top, and the ones that you can print on. Both types have worked fine.

Ok, for what it's worth, here's my 2c; the DVD-Rs that you have are they labeled with pens (even the ones with which you can supposedly write on the CDs/DVDs)?

If yes, then this is your problem, it's reported on the AVS that the newer Denon's laser is sensitive to the DVD-Rs that's labeled .....

Otherwise it might just be not a properly burned DVD-Rs, Denons, and others are lot more sensitive about properly burned DVD-Rs, ensure that you are verifying at the end of the burn-process and are using decent media, as listed by Mr. Bitey....

If it's none of the above, then you might want to replace the unit and see.....this would be the last resort though...

Hope it helps,

Ritesh

Hi ritesh,

The DVD-R's that I use are printable (white)Rytek's, I have a cd printer, I have had no problems playing them on the Marantz DV4300.

I have tried other makes of discs on the Denon as well, with problems. Original DVD's are excellent.

As I stated, if you do a search on the AV forum for "Denon DVD-R" you will find numerous threads indicating this problem with Denon.

I was just concerned about everyone in DBA forum getting excited about the new Denon's and not re-alising that there could be a problem with the media, before they buy.

Thanks to everyone for the response.

cheers

Thats it,

The Denon is going Back :P

I burnt a copy of my Pirates of the Carribean" tonight, using Nero.

Put it in the Denon.......would not play.

I then put it in the Marantz dv4300....Perfect, played right through..No glitches

whatsoever.

I hope it's only this player and not all Denons :blink:

Thats it,

The Denon is going Back  :P

I then put it in the Marantz dv4300....Perfect, played right through..No glitches

whatsoever.

I hope it's only this player and not all Denons  :blink:

Have heard Nero is not the most accepted software for DVD-compatibility....

You are right though, shouldn't be having any dramas (funny I say that coz I sold my Marantz 4200 for exactly that problem, it had trouble playing all DVDs, etc.; I guess they must have fixed it in 4300)

Ritesh

Thats it,

The Denon is going Back  :P

whatsoever.

I hope it's only this player and not all Denons  :blink:

Mmmm sounds like the media is okay, I wonder if it is your burner, all DVD-R disc's I have tried were all burnt with Pioneer burners, several different models to boot.

I'll second that and have experienced it myself.

I use dvddecrypter to burn ISO images made with ImgTool Classic (this is important, as the other version of imgtool uses the nero engine :blink:

shiny_car,

Not everyone uses dvd-r's to illegally copy movies! I use backups (of my own originals) as Ive got young children, and I can assure you the original wiggles dvd's dont last long in those sticky little paws (being driven over in mini-wiggles big-red-cars etc), then theres a place to store all those thousands of pictures and home movies.. not to mention data backups etc.

Cheers,

Bitey

I'll second that and have experienced it myself.

I use dvddecrypter to burn ISO images made with ImgTool Classic (this is important, as the other version of imgtool uses the nero engine :blink:

shiny_car,

Not everyone uses dvd-r's to illegally copy movies! I use backups (of my own originals) as Ive got young children, and I can assure you the original wiggles dvd's dont last long in those sticky little paws (being driven over in mini-wiggles big-red-cars etc), then theres a place to store all those thousands of pictures and home movies.. not to mention data backups etc.

Hi mr. Bitey,

Surely if the Nero copy works perfectly in the Marantz DV4300 then there in no problem with, Nero/Sony DRU Burner/Rytek media.

The problem has got to be the Denon.

While on the subject of Shiny_Car,

I do not understand why he bought the Denon 3910, as he barely watches DVD's does not have a Plazma and plays Redbook CD's on a dedicated CD Player.

would'nt he have be better off waiting until he got a Plazma, then the 3910 would be cheaper by then ???

cheers

Surely if the Nero copy works perfectly in the Marantz DV4300 then there in no problem with, Nero/Sony DRU Burner/Rytek media.

cheers

Ohboy,

I can understand your reasoning, the only thing is if the Sony does not write to the exact standards, now I don't know this I am only throwing around some ideas, the Marantz maybe more forgiving, and the Denon may not. Then again the Denon could be faulty as well.

Do you know anyone with a different brand of burner that will allow you to check this side of it out?

Hi mr. Bitey,

cheers

Not necessarily.. It might just be the denon doesnt like that combination of media / burner / program. Thats the problem :-) you need to experiment till you find a combination that works for you.

Ive always been a pioneer man, they just seem to burn more compatable disks (ie. play in more standalones).. Ive got some media that play in my denon, and not my inlaws grundig..

From how I see it, youve got a few options:

- Try a disc that doesnt work in your denon, in another denon in a showroom

- Try a different firmware in your drive - www.rpc1.org has all you need

- Try differnt burning s/w and different ISO image makers (dvd decrypter and imgtool classic - see www.doom9.org)

- Try different media (note - RITEK, not RIMEDIA or anything that sounds like it :blink: - use NAME brands in individual jewel cases - try a sony disc :-) TDK, FujiFilm, Verbatim

- Return the denon as its not dvd-r compatable

DVD-R burning isnt always black&white :P

Cheers,

Bitey

Hi,

Well I took the Denon 2200 back to the Hifi shop and explained the problems with DVD-R media. I also took the DVD-R's with me.

They had a Denon 2900 on display, so we tried the DVD-R's in that.

Two of the four copies played correctly in the 2900, the other two displayed the same faults.

We then tried the discs in a Marantz 6400..all discs played correctly.

We then tried the disc in another Denon (can't recall the model) but it was much lower down the range of Denons...all discs played correctly !!!

I think it may have something to do with the Video... Dac 12/108 in the 2000 and the 2900 compared to the 10/54 in the Marantz and the lower model Dennon.

I am going back to the shop at the week end to try the Marantz 8300.

which also has the 12/108 Dac.

So will find out for certain if it's the Denon or not

does anyone have any views on the Marantz 8300.

Thanks to everyone for their comments and help

cheers

I think it may have something to do with the Video... Dac 12/108 in the 2000 and the 2900 compared to the 10/54 in the Marantz and the lower model Dennon.

cheers

The problems you describe (pixelation/freezing) are to do with the media and or laser in the player... if the disc plays then develops pixelation some time into it and gets progressivly worse the further into a movie (further to the edge of the disc) this is 100% consistent with media/burner/player incompatability.

I Hope you find a player that works for you! - it took me ages (taking 10 or so of my dodgiest discs to retailers and trying all the players) to find a 'cheapo' that played all my shitty princo discs before I knew better :-)

Cheers,

Bitey

cheers

The problems you describe (pixelation/freezing) are to do with the media and or laser in the player... if the disc plays then develops pixelation some time into it and gets progressivly worse the further into a movie (further to the edge of the disc) this is 100% consistent with media/burner/player incompatability.

I Hope you find a player that works for you! - it took me ages (taking 10 or so of my dodgiest discs to retailers and trying all the players) to find a 'cheapo' that played all my shitty princo discs before I knew better :-)

Cheers,

Bitey

Hi Mr. Bitey, Thanks for the reply.

The scenaro is as follows:

1. 4 x DVD-R

2. 1 x Denon 2200......12bit/108 Video DAC......4 discs will not play correctly

3. 1 x Denon 2900......12bit/108 Video DAC......2 discs will not play correctly

(Same Video DAC but different Denon model..2 discs come good) ?

4. 1 x Denon (entry level model) ..?bit/54 Video Dac....4 discs all Play correctly

5. 1 x Marantz 6400...10bit/54 Video DAC...................4 discs play correctly

It appears that all discs have been finalised ok. but the 108 DACs do not like 2 of them, but the 54 Dacs love them.

Got me stuffed.

As a last resort I will try burning another disc on my son's computer which has a different burner (pioneer) as opposed to my Sony.

cheers

1.  4 x DVD-R

2.    1 x Denon 2200......12bit/108 Video DAC......4 discs will not play correctly

3.    1 x Denon 2900......12bit/108 Video DAC......2 discs will not play correctly

4.    1 x Denon (entry level model) ..?bit/54 Video Dac....4 discs all Play correctly

5.    1 x Marantz 6400...10bit/54 Video DAC...................4 discs play correctly

It appears that all discs have been finalised ok. but the 108 DACs do not like 2 of them, but the 54 Dacs love them.

Got me stuffed.

As a last resort I will try burning another disc on my son's computer which has a different burner (pioneer) as opposed to my Sony.

cheers

I think your observation prooves its not the DAC, rather its the laser/pickup used in the different model players. If the player (laser) is picky, it really is hit and miss with media/burner/burning application. Media however plays the biggest role in pixelization towards the end (outer edge) of the disc.

If you want to be 100% sure - use a pioneer burner (like an A06/106) with firmware 1.07, Taiyo Yuden media (Media ID TYG01) - often used as referenced in my earlier post, or geniune Ritek 4X media ID RITEKG04.

Install dvd decrpter (www.doom9.org - download section)

Grab an original DVD-5 media (single layer, single sided - 4.7GB or smaller)

Read/Rip your DVD-5 (Or DVD-R single-layer disc) to an ISO image in ISO mode to your HDD

Write (and select verify) the ISO image to a good media using a pioneer burner

Try it.. If TYG01's dont work - theres definatly a problem :-)

Cheers,

Bitey

cheers

Cheers,

Bitey

1. 4 x DVD-R

4. 1 x Denon (entry level model) ..?bit/54 Video Dac....4 discs all Play correctly

5. 1 x Marantz 6400...10bit/54 Video DAC...................4 discs play correctly

Got me stuffed.

cheers

No it's not the DAC, it is the transport/loader and/or the laser assembly that's guilty here.....

For similar price (may be tad more), the top of the range Pioneer is supposed to have an excellent loader, and plays just about everything.....

It's features and performance is supposed to be close to or better than 3910...you might want to try it out, sounds to me it may be what you are looking for, if gold is ok with you....

cheers,

Ritesh

cheers

Cheers,

Bitey

1. 4 x DVD-R

Got me stuffed.

cheers

No it's not the DAC, it is the transport/loader and/or the laser assembly that's guilty here.....

For similar price (may be tad more), the top of the range Pioneer is supposed to have an excellent loader, and plays just about everything.....

It's features and performance is supposed to be close to or better than 3910...you might want to try it out, sounds to me it may be what you are looking for, if gold is ok with you....

cheers,

Ritesh

Thanks ritesh,

I think at $2,500 the pioneer is just outside my budget.... I have looked for reviews on the pioneer, but cannot find any.

I do not want to Beta test any more DVD players.

cheers