Samsung 56" LCD RPTV & DVD-HD747

Just bought the Sammy DVD-HD747 and connected it to my 56" LCD RPTV thro DVI.

I was quite disappointed as the PQ has improved but not much. I output the video signal thro DVI using PScan and DVI,\

Upscale it to 1080I, the PQ is better than my old non-progressive player, but not dramatically.

Fortunately, I paid only $280 for it and it comes with DVI cable. I must say, nevertheless, I am happy with the PQ even from the old dvd player.

Any idea may be I am doing something wrong? Can I do something to get the "stunning" PQ?

I've got the same Sammy TV as you, but am using the older Sammy DVD HD-937 player. I've also got an older Sony DVD player. I've got the Sammy DVD putting out 720p (I've also tried 1080i) via DVI and the Sony DVD putting out 576i via component. Like you, while there is some improvement in PQ with the Sammy DVD, it isn't that much.

So, I don't think that you are doing anything wrong at all. What I believe you are seeing is the quality of the deinterlacer and scaler in the Sammy TV vs the quality of the deinterlacer and scaler in the Sammy DVD. There doesn't seem to be that much difference.

Via component, the Sammy TV is doing the deinterlacing and scaling from 576i to 720p. Via DVI, the Sammy DVD is doing the deinterlacing and scaling from 576i to 720p (or 1080i). Since 720p is native for the Sammy TV, I acutally avoid 1080i due to double scaling, ie. 576i -> 1080i -> 720p.

To get "stunning" PQ, I suggest spending some time calibrating your Sammy TV if you haven't already.

Cheers,

morkli.

• 2 weeks later...
I've got the same Sammy TV as you, but am using the older Sammy DVD HD-937 player. I've also got an older Sony DVD player. I've got the Sammy DVD putting out 720p (I've also tried 1080i) via DVI and the Sony DVD putting out 576i via component. Like you, while there is some improvement in PQ with the Sammy DVD, it isn't that much.

So, I don't think that you are doing anything wrong at all. What I believe you are seeing is the quality of the deinterlacer and scaler in the Sammy TV vs the quality of the deinterlacer and scaler in the Sammy DVD. There doesn't seem to be that much difference.

Via component, the Sammy TV is doing the deinterlacing and scaling from 576i to 720p. Via DVI, the Sammy DVD is doing the deinterlacing and scaling from 576i to 720p (or 1080i). Since 720p is native for the Sammy TV, I acutally avoid 1080i due to double scaling, ie. 576i -> 1080i -> 720p.

To get "stunning" PQ, I suggest spending some time calibrating your Sammy TV if you haven't already.

Cheers,

morkli.

Hi,

I just picked up the Samsung DVD-HD747 for $250 from the Goodguys in Taylors Lakes. Id say it is a bargain seeing it has DVI output.

Im creating my own secondary cinema room . I ve purchased the Pana AE700e projector, LP Morgon 100" 16:9 Galleria Fixed Screen, Humax HD7000 set top box,

and running a dvi to hdmi cable from dvd player to projector. I'll run component fromset top box to projector. The Newer Samsung HD937 i saw for $600. I reckon ive picked a bargain with the 747. Where else are you gonna get a dvd player with dvi for the same price?. I havent hooked it up yet as Im waiting on the screen.

But at the end of the day most of the guests that come to your place to watch some movies will be gob smacked by the quality and crisp images of projectors. Do you really think they will give a **** about interlacing and de interlacing?

Most people are just overwhelmed by the sheer size of the image and not the technical info regarding the system. Personally, I dont think that LCD tv's give a good quality image for the price you pay. I find some plasmas to be clearer.

Regards,

:blink: