Digital Reception issues

Guys,

I haven't been on the forum for a while, so apologies in advance if I have missed any previous posts on this.

Over the past couple of weeks, I have been experiencing breakups in reception (pixellation) and corresponding audio pops. I have checked all my connections, antenna (which is a good one with a digital booster, and professionally installed) and quad-shield cabling, and still to no avail. I have re-scanned all channels, but it is still happening.

For reference, I am at Roches Beach.

Any clues? Is this happening elsewhere, or am I on my own on this one?

Regards,

Sean.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sean,

I've noticed some crappy reception over the last few days as well (probably since around Thursday or so?). I'm in Hobart, with line of sight to the mountain, and I've also checked my antenna connections (quad shield, RG6 etc).

Seems to be affecting TDT and WIN the most; I've always had some minor issues with the ABC and it is a bit worse.

- Miles.

Sean,

I've noticed some crappy reception over the last few days as well (probably since around Thursday or so?). I'm in Hobart, with line of sight to the mountain, and I've also checked my antenna connections (quad shield, RG6 etc).

Seems to be affecting TDT and WIN the most; I've always had some minor issues with the ABC and it is a bit worse.

- Miles.

Hi Miles, good to hear from you again!

Any idea what might be causing this and if there is any fix available?

Guest catford

go to your install menu and check each channel and see what numbers come up. Go to the dba reception and installation site and check the channel numbers for your area. I had been having the same problems since doing an upgrade on my strong stb and found after tuning it was defaulting to the channels for Government hill. Since doing a manual tune there has been not a pop or pixelisation to be seen.

Hope this helps.

cheers.

go to your install menu and check each channel and see what numbers come up. Go to the dba reception and installation site and check the channel numbers for your area. I had been having the same problems since doing an upgrade on my strong stb and found after tuning it was defaulting to the channels for Government hill. Since doing a manual tune there has been not a pop or pixelisation to be seen.

Hope this helps.

cheers.

You have raised two interesting points. First on the channel numbers, I am on 5 (TDT), 6 (SX), 8 (WIN), 2 (ABC Hobart) and 3 (SBS). I will check to see if this is correct.

Second, Strong upgrade? I have a 5390 DVR. I was not aware there was an upgrade. How is this done?

You have raised two interesting points.  First on the channel numbers, I am on 5 (TDT), 6 (SX), 8 (WIN), 2 (ABC Hobart) and 3 (SBS).  I will check to see if this is correct.

Second, Strong upgrade?  I have a 5390 DVR.  I was not aware there was an upgrade.  How is this done?

The channel numbers catford mentions are actually the broadcast frequencies (VHF/UHF channels), not the logical (hah!) channel numbers (2, 3, 5, 6, 8). Mt Wellington broadcasts on VHF (channels 7-11 I think); Government Hills broadcasts on UHF (somewhere in channels 21-69). On the 5390, you can go into the Installation Menu, and then "Tuner State" I think shows you what broadcast frequency your LCN is using.

The upgrade was released back in July, I think. If you can timeshift or timer record WIN without the 5390 crashing, you've got the latest software. Otherwise, you should either download and do it yourself (http://www.strong-technologies.com/) or get in touch with your supplier (many will do it for you).

- Miles.

Thanks for that Miles,

Re the 5390, yes it does crash on WIN so that would be very helpful. What is the idea, download to PC then direct to the 5390, or is there another way (sorry - green horn here!).

If I am in the Acton Park area with my VHF antenna tuned for Mt Wellington reception, surely that is all I can go with, isn't it (cause Government Hill is all UHF). That being the case (while I will manually check the actual freqs I am tuned to) I should still be getting the same excellent reception I used to be getting. Can't understand what is causing me so much grief.

Talked to a workmate who lives at Blackmans Bay and has the same TV and STB and he is getting perfect reception. Mine is still extremely pixellated (not all the time, just on and off) and with that comes breakup of the audio channels as well.

Guest catford

my aerial is pointing directly at the mountain with the government hill aerial to my left but was still getting ch 56 etc on the strong. This wasnt the case before the upgrade and when I retuned for TDT change the Strong went back to the Gov hill channels for SCT, Win and the ABC. I think these defaults came with the upgrade. Are there any other transmitters in your area (seven mile beach has one) that could be doing this.

Good to hear from you Miles!

cheers.

I have two antennas; a UHF pointing toward Single Hill (line of sight) but this is only for analogue, and the other is my VHF antenna which was tuned for Mt Wellington (although pointing to the right of the mountain due to some reflectivity off the Meehan Range, but this was where the strongest signal was coming from with a digital field strength meter - and that was before Government Hill was commissioned). Whether Government Hill is now affecting this, I'm not sure. And for the record, I am only feeding my STB with the VHF antenna.

Also, tell me how you did your Strong upgrade.

Also, tell me how you did your Strong upgrade.

Download the software update from http://www.strong-technologies.com/Downloa...-%20Windows.zip

You'll need a null modem cable to connect from your PC to STB; uses your serial (COM) port. The software update contains a program to download the software, along with instructions and a change list.

- Miles.

Thanks Miles,

Have now completed the download, however am still getting all the breakup of picture/audio. Now wondering if I am experiencing antenna problems. I have a digital booster on the antenna, and wonder if this is glitching?

I am getting mid 50% signal with mid 70% quality, which shouldn't give me issues. I might have to call someone to check it out (unless there could be a problem with the 5390).

Hi SPDF. I had the same problem with my 5390 a few months ago. Because the problem was intermittent initially I thought it was to do with reception. I checked all cabling, changed roof top aerial and tried rabbit ears. I was on the latest version of the software and I tried an earlier version to see if that was the issue.

As the problem peristed (Seemed to be at it's worse in the mornings on ABC) I thought it must be either my location (Midway Point) or the set top box itself. I took the set top box to my Mother in Laws place at Bellerive and Voila (Same problem)

I took the set top box back to place of purchase (Harvey Norman - Glenorchy) and after seeing the problem in the store they replaced the unit which was still under warranty. I still do not know what the problem was but have not had any issues with the new unit.

I looked throught the forums at the time but I have not seen anyone else with this fault.

Hope this helps.

all,

Hobart ABC SBS TVT TNT TasTV Not assigned

Analog 2 28 6 31

Digital 8 9A 7 10 11 12

50 kW power each in all directions

Band 3 antenna required

North East ABNT SBS TVT TNT TasTV

Analog 32 29 35 9

Digital 41 44 50 38 52 49, 51

1.6 kW power directional

Band 5 antenna required for digital.

All antennas are horizontal.

AlanH

Hi SPDF. I had the same problem with my 5390 a few months ago. Because the problem was intermittent initially I thought it was to do with reception. I checked all cabling, changed roof top aerial and tried rabbit ears. I was on the latest version of the software and I tried an earlier version to see if that was the issue.

As the problem peristed (Seemed to be at it's worse in the mornings on ABC) I thought it must be either my location (Midway Point) or the set top box itself. I took the set top box to my Mother in Laws place at Bellerive and Voila (Same problem)

I took the set top box back to place of purchase (Harvey Norman - Glenorchy) and after seeing the problem in the store they replaced the unit which was still under warranty. I still do not know what the problem was but have not had any issues with the new unit.

I looked throught the forums at the time but I have not seen anyone else with this fault.

Hope this helps.

A little more investigation of my 5390, after a call to Strong yesterday, I did another Factory Reset on the box, and for about 5 minutes the pixellation went away, but gradually returned. I did another Reset, and same thing.

Methinks you are right and it is the box. I checked my warranty and it expires 8th December. I am waiting on Strong's Tech support to get back to me today, but sounds like my next step is to grab another unit and try it. I think someone is looking over me with this. Would not have been happy Jan if this had happened in 'Jan'uary!

I'll let you know how I go. Funny though, with electronic gear it usually either stuffs up within a short time, and if not, seems to go forever. In this case, the Strong has performed perfectly for 11 and a half months, then (if my suspicions are correct) has thrown the towel in!

Weirdcat, you were spot on the money! The new box is fine, no pixellation or audio pops! Miles, you better check yours!

I talked to Shane (tech support) at Strong, and he was very helpful. Apparently they prefer to repair rather than replace units that are older than 2 weeks and younger than 12 months, so guess that will be their course of action. At the end of the day, as long as it is working I will be happy.

Good old Harvey Norman (Andrew Slaydens in the Hobart shop) will loan me this new one until mine is either repaired (or Strong agree to replace it). It is good dealing with people like them (HN), makes any warranty issues easier to cope with. Frankly (as an aside) I would recommend those guys over anyone else for this type of gear. For me, they have been terrific!

Thanks for your help and advise guys. As always - Synergy (ie. the sum of the whole is greater than the sum of the individual parts!).

Regards,

Sean.

As an addendum, I did find out from Strong that they are in the final phase of a pre-release model (as early as Jan 2005 or maybe as late as March) of a new twin tuner High Def PVR with 220gig HDD. They think it should sell for around $1100 ish, so should be an excellent unit at a very competitive price.

Now all we need is some more high def programming (and then blah, I will have to upgrade my monitor and get the new box. How do I sell that to the wife?)

Guest catford
Weirdcat, you were spot on the money!  The new box is fine, no pixellation or audio pops!  Miles, you better check yours!

I talked to Shane (tech support) at Strong, and he was very helpful.  Apparently they prefer to repair rather than replace units that are older than 2 weeks and younger than 12 months, so guess that will be their course of action.  At the end of the day, as long as it is working I will be happy.

Good old Harvey Norman (Andrew Slaydens in the Hobart shop) will loan me this new one until mine is either repaired (or Strong agree to replace it).  It is good dealing with people like them (HN), makes any warranty issues easier to cope with.  Frankly (as an aside) I would recommend those guys over anyone else for this type of gear.  For me, they have been terrific!

Thanks for your help and advise guys.  As always - Synergy (ie. the sum of the whole is greater than the sum of the individual parts!).

Regards,

Sean.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Digital Jimmy
Guys,

I haven't been on the forum for a while, so apologies in advance if I have missed any previous posts on this.

Over the past couple of weeks, I have been experiencing breakups in reception (pixellation) and corresponding audio pops.  I have checked all my connections, antenna (which is a good one with a digital booster, and professionally installed) and quad-shield cabling, and still to no avail.  I have re-scanned all channels, but it is still happening.

For reference, I am at Roches Beach.

Any clues?  Is this happening elsewhere, or am I on my own on this one?

Regards,

Sean.

Miles, you better check yours!

Crikey! I missed this post when I was away interstate at the start of the month, and my 12 month warranty must be up VERY soon (7 December).

FWIW, I've had the ABC problem extend to TDT and SCX, and occasionally WIN and SBS, without any change to my antenna etc. I'll try it somewhere else to see if the same problem occurs, and get onto Hantrex and Strong if it's consistently playing up.

I presume Strong are aware of this issue and consider it a known fault with the earliest 5390 hardware?

- Miles.

Edit: Have emailed Shane @ Strong asking for assistance.

Hi Miles,

Well here is an interesting thing. Harvey Norman loaned me a new 5390 while they talked to Strong about repairing or replacing mine (most likely repair) and now the loan box is starting to do it as well!

What is going on?

• 2 weeks later...
Miles, you better check yours!

Crikey! I missed this post when I was away interstate at the start of the month, and my 12 month warranty must be up VERY soon (7 December).

Well it has definitely gotten worse; I'm now seeing the same symptoms described in this thread: http://www.dtvforum.info/index.php?showtopic=10154&hl=

Shane got back to me, and suggested some troubleshooting, but no dice, so it's going to have to go back tomorrow... :blink:

- Miles.