NTSC playback problem on AKAI 76cm WS

Heya, I picked up the AKAI CTB21PK9A 76cm Widescreen TV and have had difficulty when playing NTSC source video through both its composite and s-video inputs.

The picture's colours seem to flick or shimmer, much like a monitor with a low refresh rate. I've got some theories but does anyone know what the deal is? Is this tv simply incapable of displaying NTSC properly?

Thanks.

Update.

I completely disconnected my centre speaker and moved it away from the television. The situation has greatly improved. However, the phenomenon still persists slightly at the sides of the screen. The left and right speakers are at a considerable distance so I'm wondering if its the internal stereo speakers that are causing this. This is all still happening, of course, only when an NTSC signal is employed. However, when you have no input to the AV channel and the blue screen appears, a faint scrolling bar can be seen - it is undetectable when watching video material, though.

So, what should I tell the shop assistant when I take this one back if he gives me any grief? Tah.

Guest catford

hey cashflag,

Ive checked some of the specs of other Akais and can also remember when I use to sell audio visual that they were one of the few brands that were pal only. If it were the speakers you would get a red or green stain appearing close to the speaker. I struggled to find a NTSC playback set back in the old days especially as 68cm Panasonics and Sonys were over $2500 at the time. My advice get a different brand and check the specs on the back page of the manual which should say ntsc 3.58.

good luck.

Guest chris-sinclair
hey cashflag,

Ive checked some of the specs of other Akais and can also remember when I use to sell audio visual that they were one of the few brands that were pal only. If it were the speakers you would get a red or green stain appearing close to the speaker. I struggled to find a NTSC playback set back in the old days especially as 68cm Panasonics and Sonys were over $2500 at the time. My advice get a different brand and check the specs on the back page of the manual which should say ntsc 3.58.

good luck.

My TV is a 68cm Sony TV and no problem with playing U.S. NTSC DVDs.

I also noticed that my VHS VCR had to be set as NTSC 3.58 to play U.S. videotapes when trying to copy the videotape into a DVD disc.

I was having this problem with the color and now corrected by simply fixing the setting in the VCR as NTSC 3.58 output.

cashflag might be having NTSC compatibility with AKAI TV and maybe the speakers are just too close causing interferences to the set.

The center speaker is just above the TV and I don't have a problem?

Yeah, if I put the speaker right up to the TV I get the ol' red and green distortion happening. A little bit further away, however, and it merely seems to amplify this weird strobing effect. Take it right away and its reduced to a subtle effect on the sides - only noticeable when playing back NTSC.

The box says 'PAL BG' and then under that 'NTSC playback'. Within the manual it says an NTSC source can be plugged in via the one of the scart connectors and then the tint and colour settings should be adjusted in the menu.

I guess I'll just have to take this one back and kick in some extra bucks for something a little better. Shame, since I cannot fault the PAL picture at all.

Cheers, fellas.

Addendum: In case anyone comes along with the same problem somewhere down the line...

Looks like its a design fault. Had the same problem with the instore models, both the 50hz and 100hz. I guess Akai suck in the NTSC department.

Took the tv back and bought another brand.