Anyone know where to see the AE700 in Adelaide?

well my mate that saw the ae700 demo'd at radio rentals was very impressed. he'd already ordered one without seeing it in action but this made him even happier.

as a comparison he said that it **** all over seeing a hitachi pj-tx100 which had been fully setup at challenge hifi. the ae700 was sitting on a chair about 2 metres from the screen to show off its versatility and short throw ability.

so the marion people are likely to have done something desperately wrong

I am told that VAF Research at Kent Town have a number of projectors setup, including a Panasonic.

This is the crowd that sell their own speakers too.

You really MUST checkout the SIM2 Domino 20, although much more expensive it is a brilliant projector.

I am told that VAF Research at Kent Town have a number of projectors setup, including a Panasonic.

You really MUST checkout the SIM2 Domino 20, although much more expensive it is a brilliant projector.

Yes it is a tad more expensive, I think the last I checked the SIM2 3 chip DLP was retailing for around US37K.

Yes it is a tad more expensive, I think the last I checked the SIM2 3 chip DLP was retailing for around US37K.

The Domino 20 can be had for under 8 grand in Oz.

The Domino 20 can be had for under 8 grand in Oz.

Yep, agreed but 7k is still a lot more than the AE700. The Sim2 model I referred to above was their new HT500 model. It is supposed to be quite impressive but I think I will save my money and get the 700 instead.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi guys,

I too went to check out the Panasonic at HN in Marion and Enfield except I left a bit disappointed to tell you the truth.... the main reason is because at Marion they had the Pana image right above a $20K NEC plasma screen... the difference in contrast and detail in dark scenes blew me away... there was a 10 news broadcast, and the reporter was wearing a charcoal suit with clearly visible seams/lapels/pockets on the plasma.... on the projector, the entire suit was just black with absolutely no detail!!! I was left stunned at the difference and left wondering if LCD technology was for me since a few of my fav movies tend to be quite dark.... just to make sure I did a few hours of testing at Enfield and had a look at the Pana 700, Sony HS50 and the Hitachi they had set up and admittedly, contrast wise the Pana was the best but still struggled to give detail in the dark scenes of Lord of the Rings (my test movie)....

Just my 2 cents worth for those also on the hunt!

drvik

PS: Would love it if someone could tell me that tweaking can markedly improve the image!! :blink:

Hi guys,

I too went to check out the Panasonic at HN in Marion and Enfield except I left a bit disappointed to tell you the truth.... the main reason is because at Marion they had the Pana image right above a $20K NEC plasma screen... the difference in contrast and detail in dark scenes blew me away... there was a 10 news broadcast, and the reporter was wearing a charcoal suit with clearly visible seams/lapels/pockets on the plasma.... on the projector, the entire suit was just black with absolutely no detail!!! I was left stunned at the difference and left wondering if LCD technology was for me since a few of my fav movies tend to be quite dark.... just to make sure I did a few hours of testing at Enfield and had a look at the Pana 700, Sony HS50 and the Hitachi they had set up and admittedly, contrast wise the Pana was the best but still struggled to give detail in the dark scenes of Lord of the Rings (my test movie)....

Just my 2 cents worth for those also on the hunt!

drvik

PS: Would love it if someone could tell me that tweaking can markedly improve the image!! :blink:

Interesting... I just hooked up my Panny 700 and Hitachi TX100 side by side using the LOTR Fellowship DVD on the new 100" screen (top and bottom) via the 3910.

I am/was intending to keep the panny over the Tx100, as the latter has much more visible SDE.

However.... after setting up double blind experiments on them tonite and asking the family members to come in and vote, several times, the TX100 won best picture 8 times outta 10. Couldn't believe it - the Panny is so much smoother - BUT it is also less detailed! Shadows and detail in the shadows are visibly better on the TX100. And that ultimately means contrast... so much for the paper specs. And the snow on the mountain was fresh white in comparison. I didn't even check the cinema black mode on the TX100 as it would have been too depressing.

Hence I agree with the above post- the panny loses detail - it takes the detail and puts it in the blender - and the result is ...mushy. Sob. How could I do this to myself aaaaghhhh!

Hence I agree with the above post- the panny loses detail - it takes the detail and puts it in the blender - and the result is ...mushy. Sob. How could I do this to myself aaaaghhhh!

You got both those PJs. How did that come about. I am looking at them both at the moment, and the epson tw200. I was concidering the infocus 4805 or Benq 6200 but they lack len sheft and It seems I'll need it for my situation. can you comment of these two for me .ie prefer one over the other and why? Have you ever run an Xbox throught the s-video advance pack on either? Which seems to cope better if being viewed in the day time? etc etc etc. Thanks.

You got both those PJs. How did that come about. I am looking at them both at the moment, and the epson tw200. I was concidering the infocus 4805 or Benq 6200 but they lack len sheft and It seems I'll need it for my situation. can you comment of these two for me .ie prefer one over the other and why? Have you ever run an Xbox throught the s-video advance pack on either? Which seems to cope better if being viewed in the day time? etc etc etc. Thanks.

I ordered one when the other looked like it wasn't coming. Thought I would sell whichever one I liked least. The "would not accept the fence sitting factor this time" reason!!

Trouble is - I am not sure now.

In short answer to your question

TX100 is:

brighter

more detail/contrast on dvd

better looking device

doesn't fit on my wall mounting (too wide)

quieter (altho both are v quiet)

has more SDE (which I am sensitive to)

better lens shift control - its brilliant

needed bigger screen than 84" from 12.5' distance (have bought 100" now)

AE700 is:

better known/reputation -everyone says they are awesome

no SDE (great), but softer image

fits on my Infocus mount

dodgy lens shifter (jerky) - but way better than none

great versatility of zoom

longer throw (can make smaller image size for poorer Foxtel resolutions)

40% better placement capability (2x vs 1.6X zoom)

I had settled on the Panny mainly because of the difficulty in mounting the TX100 in my room. However, image detail is key to satisfaction, so I will need to do more thinking now.. Damn, it hurts :blink:

Sorry I don't have an Xbox (PS2 is in kids room). Both PJ's are relatively poor during daytime but I have found the new grey screen helps a bit. Maybe the TX100 copes a little better. The lens shift is now a given as a necessity (now that I have used one) btw.

Hope this helps cardony