Opinions sought - b&w's with integra

Hey guys/girls,

After a long day of auditions I have come across a system I thouight sounded fantastic but which I dont know a lot about. Im looking for floorstanders or bookshelves and a receiver for now - and later on ill add rears, sub, centre.

B&W DM602 S3 bookshelves with an Integra DTR-5.5 or DTR-6.5.

This would possibly blow my budget a tad but I was so impressed with the sound.

Does anyone have any opinions of this combination?

Would these B&W's run off say a marantz 44/5400 (which id prefer) with the same results?

I listen to mostly music (70% music).

Any help/advice would be great

Hey guys/girls,

After a long day of auditions I have come across a system I thouight sounded fantastic but which I dont know a lot about. Im looking for floorstanders or bookshelves and a receiver for now - and later on ill add rears, sub, centre.

Would these B&W's run off say a marantz 44/5400 (which id prefer) with the same results?

How dare you settle for a Marantz if you can get an Integra 6.5. :blink::P

What is not to like about all composite and s-video inputs being upverted to Component? ... on an amp built for music? sheeesh!

Hey guys/girls,

I am not a great Onkyo fan but these puppies kick the Marantz

Hey guys/girls,

Hehehe I actually had a pair of B&W DM602S3 speakers 2 years ago and really running it off my NAD receiver was a match made in heaven especially if you listen to mostly music like me. Give it a go with a NAD HT receiver/amp to check it out. The nad amps seem to complement the B&W sound very well giving a nice punchy sound.

I never tried my B&Ws out with a marantz HT amp if you can get a 5400OSE version its been KI tweaked and especially good with music - I heard one hooked to whatmough spekers that sounded pretty good. I think cost around or slightly under the $2k mark but worth it.

Try either option out they both have a distinct sound and you'd instantly have the answer to your question.

Hey guys/girls,

Hehehe I actually had a pair of B&W DM602S3 speakers 2 years ago and really running it off my NAD receiver was a match made in heaven especially if you listen to mostly music like me. Give it a go with a NAD HT receiver/amp to check it out. The nad amps seem to complement the B&W sound very well giving a nice punchy sound.

I never tried my B&Ws out with a marantz HT amp if you can get a 5400OSE version its been KI tweaked and especially good with music - I heard one hooked to whatmough spekers that sounded pretty good. I think cost around or slightly under the $2k mark but worth it.

Try either option out they both have a distinct sound and you'd instantly have the answer to your question.

Damn for got about the OSE

On second thoughts the 5400OSE has better out put stages than the standard 5400 and has a little more current due the larger caps which is better for bass handeling and to top it off a better power supply.

This would be the pick of the bunch if you can find one

Hey guys/girls,

Al,

I must have a listen to some S3's ... so a couple of questions for you:

* Is the bass tight? Is there much bass below 100Hz?

* How would you rate their top-end if driven by a 'neutral' amp ... 'bright', 'warm', 'clean', other?

I'm tired of the lack of bass from my ProAcs but still need a compromise - ie. larger bookshelf - that stays clean up top?

what's your budget at the moment? [edit: der! i need to read subheadings more closely :P "$1.8-2K]

there are arguments both ways for:

1. 'higher' quality AVR with 'lesser' speakers

2. 'lower' quality AVR with 'higher' quality speakers

IMO, speakers influence the overall sound much more than the AVR. this is particularly so once you reach a certain 'quality' of amp/processor (excepting super high-end stuff).

whilst i've never used the integra range of AVR's, they certainly have a great reputation. as suggested, the 'related' onkyo range could be a good compromise if budget is too tight, and it may free up more funds for better speakers.

i can vouch for B&W speakers, although not specifically the 602's. my speakers setup comprise B&W 700 series front/centre and 601 S3 rears (and JBL sub).

the 601's are awesome value and suit my tastes well and i think the 600 series really suit HT. they offer great dynamics and are very rhythmical with music too; you probably found this with the bigger 602's. for pure music performance, they're a tad 'full' in the midbass region IMO, but this adds some warmth and drive which people often prefer.

an option would be to go with 601's now, and opt for floorstanders later (eg: 603's), moving the 601's to the rear. another brand of speaker i compared these with were the ALR/jordan range. not quite as good for me personally but you may enjoy them more.

:blink:

Hey guys/girls,

Al,

* How would you rate their top-end if driven by a 'neutral' amp ... 'bright', 'warm', 'clean', other?

I'm tired of the lack of bass from my ProAcs but still need a compromise - ie. larger bookshelf - that stays clean up top?

Theyre actually quite a pleasant sounding speaker - easy to like (with mass appeal !). Grunty, solid, clean sound - its quite a big bookshelf! (with a 8" driver). excellent bass for a bookshelf.

It has a very clean, clear topend. If you ran it off a neutral amp though they might sound a bit bright. I think thats why an amp like the Nad works so well with them.

B&W also make a great centre speaker to go with them.

Hey guys/girls,

Al,

Theyre actually quite a pleasant sounding speaker - easy to like (with mass appeal !). Grunty, solid, clean sound - its quite a big bookshelf! (with a 8" driver). excellent bass for a bookshelf.

It has a very clean, clear topend. If you ran it off a neutral amp though they might sound a bit bright. I think thats why an amp like the Nad works so well with them.

B&W also make a great centre speaker to go with them.

If you want to tone down the the B&W's from what i have played with the NAD and Denon's will do the job i have always found the B&W's to be bright

Have any of your guys heard the Paradigm Studio Reference 20's or 40's

A nice system i did a while ago was front and rear 20's with the SR Centre and a STF3 sub damn this was a great price and sound DAMN

oh, and don't forget to budget for 'stands' if you opt for bookshelf speakers. decent ones will cost upwards of $150 or so.

i managed to buy some 'kinda original' B&W stands for my 601's. they are made by 'solid steel' for B&W, who then go on to rebadge them as B&W. the 'solid steel' ones retail for $499, which is still $100 or so cheaper than the ones 'badged' as B&W. expensive, but very nice finish, and when sand-filled, are extremely solid.

:blink:

Hi

I did a LOT of homework before deciding what to buy. I chose the B&W speakers because I have always liked them and revisiting reinforced my opinion of them. But the homework really got serious when I started looking for an amp. You will see I chose the Denon, a lot of people tell me they are a better match for the "warmer" feel they give to the B&W speakers. But there are so many amps that really would have done the job, and it really comes down to preference - have a look at their features , price, and mostly how you think they sound with your speakers.

The stands they speak of that are the (I think) Malaysian copies, are available from www.dvdupgrades.com.au but you will probably need to go thru a dealer. Maybe the same place as the speakers/amp for better buying/bargaining power.

If I had my gear I could give you listening opinions but have only heard in the shops and the clarity of sound they make was so distracting when I was trying to talk to the salesman. Made me smile. You say you listen to 70% music. You may find that changes once you get the HT system, next you will be looking for a projector, etc... Enjoy the bug!

Adam.

If you like B&W speakers the following set-up I have works exceptionally well!

A Denon 2900 DVD linked to a NAD T752 AV Receiver (via optical digital and 5.1 analogue sound and component video). My speaker set up is: B&W 603 S3 fronts, B&W LCR600 S3 centre, Advent Legacy surrounds and an M&K V75 sub. Also have a Strong SD digital TV box going to the T752 using component via Scart and Hantrex RGB to Component Box and then to a WideScreen LG 76 cm TV. The front and centre speakers are driven through a NAD 906 bridged multi-channel power amp using the T752 pre-outs, the sub is connected using the T752 sub pre-out and the surrounds are driven through the T752.

I've had my B&Ws for two years now and find them great for music (stereo) and HT.

Steve B.

The lcr600 s3 is an excellent b&w center speaker. But its actually a bit more versatile than that. I've actually also heard a system that used 5 of these identical speakers for fronts, center and surrounds and that sounded pretty amazing too.

Try the new Yamaha RX-V1500 with the B&W speakers (601S3 front - 600S3 rear and the LCR60 centre). These new receivers have got Pure Direct Switch for High Quality 2-Channel and Schottky Barrier Diode for high sound quality.

You cannot go much wrong with Yamaha amps for HT either.

To be honest, I have not audtioned it myself but will be doing so in the next couple of weeks. My friendly Hi Fi guys says it sounds pretty good.

I have used the speakers I mention above with the Yamaha RX-V640 and it is prety good.

Binxx

While i did not audtion the B&W's at the time of my "search" (looked at some Energy's, Dyn's, Monitor Audio, Audio Vector's.... and well obviously the Quads )

Anyways did to a little 602 vs Quad 12L shoot out (Swedish Chef from HT Central's B&W's).

If you interested the thread is here http://www.htcentral.net/forums/index.php?...ic=1597&hl=quad

Swedish Chef also posts, so its not just me :blink:

Though i can thoughly recommend the Quads.

As for receiver....... well the Quads push your $2000 budget damn hard (The 12L's are not cheap at $1500 now i think.... i paid $1400)

(also which city are you in?)

Anyhoooo i recently upgraded my receiver, a painful task as nothing really offered the "revelation" that the Quad's had provided when demoing against other speakers.

Home demo's of a Arcam AVR300 (RRp $37000 (street i got $3000) and denon 3805, left im impressed as nice units, more so the Denon but umming and arrring about what i was getting for the $'s.

Reading and reading........ and reading i stumbled on experiences with Digital Receivers. I demoed instore on the Quads the HK DPR2005. This has loads of grunt, and great dynamics, though not overly transparent..... as others have commented its like HK have "added" their "sound" to it...... sort of not really the aim there should be no "sound to something it should just produce music/noise etc :P

I ended up blind purchasing a Panasonic XR45 full digital reciever (a low end recevier (6.1) the size of a DVD player). These panny's use the same Texas Insrument's Equibit technology as found in high end TacT digital amps.

Various threads on various forums have made what seems "stupid" comparisons to decent $ 2ch setups, with modded panny's compared to $8000USD 2ch separtes setups.

In the end this unit is the one, above the 3805 and AVR300 that revealed all. Detail/resolution is there in spades, dynamics +++++, speed, bass and bass speed, transparancy and clarity, very nice. 2ch is more so where it "shines" above the others i have found.

The added bonus is that one "preferably" for best sound feeds the panny a digital signal. There is NO DAC required in this way. The signal is not converted using a DAC back to analogue for amplication it is "interpreted" via Pulse Width Modulation (how the amp stage operates) directly, so its only analogue at the speakers.

So here one can save $$$$$$$ dollars on source attempting to get a CDP etc with the best analogue out ablity for sound.

I mention this as you should be able to source a pair of 12Ls and Panny XR45 or XR50 within your budget.

Also speakers are something one can keep for a long time as if they are good they do not really date like electronics (technology changes etc).

In this way you have a receiver that is damn awsome for the money yet cheap so not as much investment. Later one can look at an upgrade to this (though im not sure of the options here, personally one would have to go WAY past the options i compared, or have the panny moddified).

Ok i've babled enuf :P

Some links if your interested

Review of std panny vs 2ch Valve and 2ch Solid State gear

http://www.stereotimes.com/amp040104.shtm

Thread on moddifed panny vs $8k+ USD 2ch separates

http://www.audiocircle.com/circles/viewtop...der=asc&start=0

similar thread

http://www.audiocircle.com/circles/viewtop...der=asc&start=0

Review on the Quads (but you should be able to fine lots in mags.... though the little 11L's seem to get more $'s i guess 12's are better)

http://www.tnt-audio.com/casse/quad_11_12_e.html