constant pixialistion

:blink: I have a sonyKD32DX40AS intergrated digital TV. Every few days or so I get alot of pixilastion. I have monitored the signal strength, (it doesnt change) but this gives no idication of what is cuasing the pixels to drop out all the time... some times its so bad that one of the channels is unwatchable in digital mode, thus I have to change back to analogue mode.

The Tv antenna is brand new, and a deep fringe antennta in a Major metro area of Melbourne, coxal cable is all state of art, new stuff, Thus I dont think its this... so what else can I do to try and get rid of this annoying interferance!?

Thanks

:P

:blink: I have a sonyKD32DX40AS intergrated digital TV.  Every few days or so I get alot of pixilastion. I have monitored the signal strength, (it doesnt change) but this gives no idication of what is cuasing the pixels to drop out all the time... some times its so bad that one of the channels is unwatchable in digital mode, thus I have to change back to analogue mode.

The Tv antenna is brand new, and a deep fringe antennta in a Major metro area of Melbourne, coxal cable is all state of art, new stuff, Thus I dont think its this... so what else can I do to try and get rid of this annoying interferance!?

Thanks

It sounds like the same symptoms one has a week or so before an STB takes its last breath!

Get Sony to replace it ... immediately.

:blink: I have a sonyKD32DX40AS intergrated digital TV.  Every few days or so I get alot of pixilastion. I have monitored the signal strength, (it doesnt change) but this gives no idication of what is cuasing the pixels to drop out all the time... some times its so bad that one of the channels is unwatchable in digital mode, thus I have to change back to analogue mode.

Thanks

It sounds like the same symptoms one has a week or so before an STB takes its last breath!

Thanks

Hmmmm, I dont think so, as other days its fine... and no problems... then others its crap..... it would just be my luck sony come out and say... "what the hell is wrong with it.. its fine.. and they go away and charge me 100 buck call out fee for nothing!....

Funny, by signal strenght doesnt seem to go down at all, but I have noticed it can be isoloated to particular channels (ie Channel 9 can be bad all night.. but others are unaffected?)... maybee this will be fixed up over years as TV stations improve thier output power, or when analogue goes off and stops interfering with Digtial?? Who knows?

Blowing a gale to-day but don't know if this has anything to do with problem?

Shutterbug,

I have noticed that wind (more so than rain for me) will adversely effect my digital reception - if your ABC reception was only marginally acceptable under normal conditions, then the wind may be enough to tip you over the edge.

Cheers,

Bruiser

or when analogue goes off and stops interfering with Digtial?? Who knows?

I'm not sure that analogue interferes with digital - there were/are some issues with digital interfering with the RF channels that video players use (ie digital interfering with analogue) but that's obviously not your problem.

Do you know what your digital signal readings are? They could either be too low under certain conditions to hold a digital signal, or they could be too strong and overloading your digital tuner.

If a professional installed your antenna & cabling they should have left you the readings, and at least made sure the digital signal was in an acceptable range.

Cheers,

Bruiser

A classic example of why so few TV's are produced with built-in STB's. It's like buying a PC with an integrated graphics card - one day you'll probably wanna upgrade it. Is it a SD received. You should shoot down to Myer a grab a cheap TEAC SD DV-B420 ($199) just to rule out any possible fault with the built in one. Also, don't think for a minute that because its a sony, it must be good. Before Digital TV was about, had you heard of most of the STB brands on the market today? Also, maybe you do have a reception issue. Trying a different box may help you work this out too. I HAD a Panasonic TU-CT20A, which had bad "impulse noise" issues and only gave me 50% signal on SBS. Some days it would be perfect, some it would tick and crack and pop and pixelate, some it wouldn't even show a picture. The strength was right on the border. Now I have the Teac mentioned above. PERFECT. It doesn't even have the same level of problems with impulse noise! Give it a go..

I know its not perfect. But I picked mine up for $169! How can you complain when your paying that price. My point was, these sorts of issues can be fixed by atleast (if possible), trying a different box. Rather than recommend ghburton go a spend $800 on a top-of-the-range HD box. I suggested he try the cheapest alternative there is and see what happens. Other wise he'll be loosing sleep for weeks (like I have done), not knowing why its happening!!

The Panasonic I had was shocking (cost me $299). 100% of the time when you turned a light on/off, or opened/closed the fridge or anything else, It would crack and pop too! 100% of the time........!!!!!!!! AND, my SBS (like what is happening to ghburton) was showing around half signal. Some days it would be good, some days you could watch it (if you didn't mind a low/no signal warning pop-up all the time), and other days no picture at all.....

NOW, with the Teac. 2, 7, 9, 10 & SBS (and the extra SBS channels) ALL READ FULL SIGNAL. Play perfectly, all the time. A few broken up pixels ONLY when changing the channel (and only say, 20% of the time). AND, The impulse problem has almost gone away (also only usualy breaks up a few pixels, hardly ever cracks and pops, and only happens 20-30% of the time something electrical happens in the house). Its MUCH, MUCH better. And I was almost about to upgrade my cable to quad shield, don't think I need to now!!! :blink:

The only reason I returned the Pana to get the Teac, is because I got a DVD recorder and wanted to connect with S-Video, rather than Composite. But, The Pana had terrible S-Video out, the colours were all washed out and peoples faces and some scenes looked brown..!?

But I'm glad I did.

Anyway, now I have been reading about another cheap brand that may be even better than the Teac. The Nordmende from Myer.

I know someone who has bought 2, and says they are fine. I have also read they have exceptional impulse noise resistance.

I keep the forum posted of my results if I do.

I know its not perfect. But I picked mine up for $169! How can you complain when your paying that price. My point was, these sorts of issues can be fixed by atleast (if possible), trying a different box. Rather than recommend ghburton go a spend $800 on a top-of-the-range HD box. I suggested he try the cheapest alternative there is and see what happens. Other wise he'll be loosing sleep for weeks (like I have done), not knowing why its happening!!

The Panasonic I had was shocking (cost me $299). 100% of the time when you turned a light on/off, or opened/closed the fridge or anything else, It would crack and pop too! 100% of the time........!!!!!!!! AND, my SBS (like what is happening to ghburton) was showing around half signal. Some days it would be good, some days you could watch it (if you didn't mind a low/no signal warning pop-up all the time), and other days no picture at all.....

NOW, with the Teac. 2, 7, 9, 10 & SBS (and the extra SBS channels) ALL READ FULL SIGNAL. Play perfectly, all the time. A few broken up pixels ONLY when changing the channel (and only say, 20% of the time). AND, The impulse problem has almost gone away (also only usualy breaks up a few pixels, hardly ever cracks and pops, and only happens 20-30% of the time something electrical happens in the house). Its MUCH, MUCH better. And I was almost about to upgrade my cable to quad shield, don't think I need to now!!! :blink:

The only reason I returned the Pana to get the Teac, is because I got a DVD recorder and wanted to connect with S-Video, rather than Composite. But, The Pana had terrible S-Video out, the colours were all washed out and peoples faces and some scenes looked brown..!?

But I'm glad I did.

Anyway, now I have been reading about another cheap brand that may be even better than the Teac. The Nordmende from Myer.

I know someone who has bought 2, and says they are fine. I have also read they have exceptional impulse noise resistance.

I keep the forum posted of my results if I do.

Ok, that's understandable, the Panasonic sounds shocking in comparison, but still, Teac should realise that the loud scratching/popping is not acceptable and blank the sound instead. For me the noise happens about 30% of the time, the rest of the time it's just video pixellation and sound dropping out for a split second which I really don't mind. But since I get about 10-15 impulses a day I usually get 3 to 4 loud squeaks and scratches a day which is really jarring when youre watching something and then all of a sudden KCHHTBLLPKRRT!!!!#!#$!