Panasonic 300a

Might be able to provide some info in the next day or so once I have mine set-up. Have decided on the Teac DV-B800 STB to go with it. Prices were $3050 for the 300A and $550 for the STB :blink:

Some specs include:

1 Tuner plus AV P in P, P & P, P out of P;

1080i, 576P & 480P;

Audio Output: Two way four speakers plus woofer (10W+10W+12W);

Video/Audio Terminals

AV1 IN (Rear): S-video, Video, Audio L/R terminals;

AV2 IN (Rear): Video or Y/Pb/Pr, Audio L/R terminals;

AV3 IN (Front): S-Video, Video, Audio L/R Terminals;

AV4 IN (Rear): Video or Y/Pb/Pr, Audio L/R Terminals;

AV5 IN (Rear): Video, Audio L/R Terminals;

Video/Audio input:

S-Video Y:1.0vp-p 75ohm C:0.3vp-p 75ohm;

Video in 1.0vp-p, 75ohm;

Audio in Aprox 400mVrms 1Kohm;

Monitor Out:

Video out 1.0vp-p, 75ohm;

Audio out Approx 400mVrms 1Kohm;

Dimensions:

Width 89.7cm

Depth 58.8cm

Height 64.4cm

Weight 80Kg (net)

Although this is my first post on the forum, I have been an avid reader now for a few years so if you wanted a few reasons why the decision to purchase the Panasonic over the Sony they would be: Pansonic's decision to treat Customers with respect with their no hassles exchange program (Sony service does not come anywhere near this apparently) and of course price. With what I've saved for the TV and STB, I intend building an HTPC in the coming months and the STB can then be used on another TV or for some other useful purpose.

Just need to work out the best way to connect the TV and STB to the DVD and home theatre system now !!! Any advice welcome.

Likewise, absolutely nothing on the WWW that I could see re the TV, so watch this space, I'll keep you up to date on performance etc,

GD

Promised an update seeing it's been a few weeks since I gained the 300A, so here's a few observations:-

Picture quality has been excellent either via STB or DVD - a sheer pleasure compared to what I've been putting up with prior to taking the plunge. The 300A has proved to be excellent value for money so far.

In relation to scan mode, it is "user" variable between 75/883i, 100Hz or progressive which will answer a few questions raised. Apologies for not including this at the time - it's not recorded in the Specs section of the handbook.

GD

Promised an update seeing it's been a few weeks since I gained the 300A, so here's a few observations:-

Picture quality has been excellent either via STB or DVD - a sheer pleasure compared to what I've been putting up with prior to taking the plunge.  The 300A has proved to be  excellent value for money so far.

In relation to scan mode,  it is "user" variable between 75/883i, 100Hz or progressive which will answer a few questions raised.  Apologies for not including this at the time - it's not recorded in the Specs section of the handbook.

GD

Is the "user variable" feature new for the 300a?

Has anyone in Melbourne seen one of these sets yet - and if they have, can they please tell me which store it was in? :blink:

I've been on the verge of buying a 86cm 200a, and now I've been thrown a curve ball by the new model!

Can anyone suggest (again in Melbourne) where the cheapest deals are to be had on these sets at the moment?

Many Thanks!

Picture quality has been excellent either via STB or DVD - a sheer pleasure compared to what I've been putting up with prior to taking the plunge.  The 300A has proved to be  excellent value for money so far.

In relation to scan mode,  it is "user" variable between 75/883i, 100Hz or progressive which will answer a few questions raised.  Apologies for not including this at the time - it's not recorded in the Specs section of the handbook.

GD

Has anyone in Melbourne seen one of these sets yet - and if they have, can they please tell me which store it was in? :blink:

I've been on the verge of buying a 86cm 200a, and now I've been thrown a curve ball by the new model!

Can anyone suggest (again in Melbourne) where the cheapest deals are to be had on these sets at the moment?

Many Thanks!

Ok Dick Smith Powerhouse have these sets, I have seen both the 76 and 86 in the flesh. Also I notice in the latest retravision catalogue they also have the 300a for about $2800. This is also on their website www.retravision.com.au and go to catalogue.

My advice is though, that I could not tell any real difference between the 200a and 300 except for styling, and the old models are going out for a song so if the 86cm 200a is the right price I wouldnt knock it up for the sake of "new"styling.

I had a look at the retravision online catalogue - isn't the pic of the panasonic a 200a? (76cm)?

Thanks for the info!

GD

Many Thanks!

Ok Dick Smith Powerhouse have these sets, I have seen both the 76 and 86 in the flesh. Also I notice in the latest retravision catalogue they also have the 300a for about $2800. This is also on their website www.retravision.com.au and go to catalogue.

My advice is though, that I could not tell any real difference between the 200a and 300 except for styling, and the old models are going out for a song so if the 86cm 200a is the right price I wouldnt knock it up for the sake of "new"styling.

Had a chat to one of the salesmen at Megamart in Chadstone today (they're in the middle of refurbishment). Nevertheless, they had the 86cm 200a and 300a on display side by side. I guess I like the look of the 300a slightly better, but I'm not sure if it's $200-$300 better! The guy said that he THINKS a totally new tube has been put into the 300a, but wasn't sure. And apart from that, everything else is the same.

Picture quality looked exactly the same to me (but I'm not an expert!), so I guess I'll have to poke around a few more stores and see who can do the best deal on either of them!

http://panasonic.com.au/products/details.cfm?objectID=2435 will get you to the right page...

The RRP of the 300A is officially lower than the 200A - I guess this doesn't mean much though as street price of the 200A is now $1900...

Anyone know what "Acuity Core Technology with increased resolution" actually means, and if there is any difference between a "High Definition Monitor (1080i/576p)" and having "HD Inputs (1080i/576P)* - * when connected to a HD Digital receiver"

300A:

76CM Fine Pitch (16:9) Widescreen [Model No: TX-76PW300A]

RRP: $3,079 [GST Inc.]

High Definition Monitor (1080i/576p)

Acuity Core Technology with increased resolution

Quintrix Super Resolution Fine Pitch Picture Tube

16:9 Screen Aspect

Superior Picture Resolution

New Product

200A:

76cm Wide Screen Fine Pitch TV [Model No: TX-76PW200A]

RRP: $3,299 [GST Inc.]

76cm Widescreen Quintrix F Flat Picture Tube - (Fine Pitch)

16:9 Aspect Ratio

100Hz Super Digital Scan/ Progressive Scan

HD Inputs (1080i/576P)* - * when connected to a HD Digital receiver

• 3 weeks later...

"In relation to scan mode, it is "user" variable between 75/883i, 100Hz or progressive which will answer a few questions raised."

@alginatedragonfly :The 200A has this option on the remote too.

Slightly off topic, but prospective buyers may like to note my separate topic on the 200a in HD mode. So far the HD picture on my 200a looks worse than SD due to flickering / wobble. Still under observation.

Bananaman,

Sounds as if you have a problem with either the TV or the Box.

Are you using Component? Which HD Box are you using?

I've had the 200A since it was first released and coupled with either a DGTEC HD or the Panasonic HD Set-Top box the extremely steady Component fed HD picture is nothing short of amazing.

There is absoloutely no comparison between 576i and 1080i when watching a good HD Program.( eg, Nine Loop)

You will always get a little flicker because of the 50Hz, but the sharpness, colour and detail of 1080i on the 200A is breathtaking. ( as it is also on the Sony)

Unless you have been watching a 100Hz set for some time, you really shouldn't notice the flicker.

I keep my Set-Top box set to 1080i for all FTA Digital Programming with excellent results.

I believe the differences between the 200A and the 300A are mainly cosmetic.

I think you will find that both Models use the same tube.

• 2 weeks later...
Some specs include:

1 Tuner plus AV  P in P, P & P, P out of P;

1080i, 576P & 480P;

Audio Output:  Two way four speakers plus woofer (10W+10W+12W);

Video/Audio Terminals

AV1 IN (Rear): S-video, Video, Audio L/R terminals;

AV2 IN (Rear): Video or Y/Pb/Pr, Audio L/R terminals;

AV3 IN (Front): S-Video, Video, Audio L/R Terminals;

AV4 IN (Rear): Video or Y/Pb/Pr, Audio L/R Terminals;

AV5 IN (Rear): Video, Audio L/R Terminals;

Video/Audio input: 

S-Video  Y:1.0vp-p 75ohm  C:0.3vp-p 75ohm;

Video in    1.0vp-p, 75ohm;

Audio in    Aprox 400mVrms 1Kohm;

Monitor Out:

Video out    1.0vp-p, 75ohm;

Audio out    Approx 400mVrms  1Kohm;

Dimensions:

Width  89.7cm

Depth  58.8cm

Height  64.4cm

Weight  80Kg (net)

Does anybody actually know the difference between the 300A and the 200A? The dimensions given above don't match what the Panasonic guy told me. He said the width was exactly the same as the 200A (79.9 CM).

I SOOO want to buy one of these units, but am I better off buying the 200A which is RRPd at $3200 rather than the new unit?

Is the 200A better quality (better tube, electronics?) or am I better off with the 300A.

Any help much appreciated.