Panasonic Viera

Well it finally arrived yesterday....the 42" version. I had just picked up my universal wall mount for $300. A little bit of mucking around here and there and with-in an hour it was hung up on the wall. I turned it on and noticed a lot of interference when watching analog TV channels. I have tried everything from swapping antenna cables and removing the HDSTB and DVD recorder from the loop, and even diconnected all other power cables to try and eliminate the source. No luck.....no matter what I tried, there was lines of fuzzyness around 1 inch thick running horizontally across the screen at spaces of around 4 inches....if that makes any sense.

When watching HD tv there is no problem....but I figure...for the odd time that I can't be bothered turning on the HDSTB....or even just the fact that I know it's there...is BOTHERING ME!!!

ANy assistance would be greatly appeciated.

I would use your VCR as the analogue tuner ... and concentrate on getting your digital PQ from DVD and STB the way you would like it. The tuner in the panel is probably a single-chip afterthought - though Viera owners might have a simple solution for you?

One thing to try (if your STB can handle it and the Viera has an RF-out), is to run RF from the wall to the panel, then from the panel to your STB (instead of using a splitter). This will give your analogue tuner the strongest signal while your STB should still be fine.

Ian

Hi Ian, thanks for your reply.

Unfortunately the Viera doesn't have an RF out. They "panasonic" included a bunch of ferrite cores to wrap around the cables (atleast a dozen of them) but they didn't really seem to do anything.

I am leaning towards the fact that the Viera might have a shtty tuner, as with the previous plasmas I've had over the past 2 months analog tv looked much better (Still not perfect I must add). I also have a little TV in the bedroom which has perfect analog TV reception...same antenna!

Might try a set of rabbit ears directly into the plasma and see what it looks like.

I also suspect that running my aerial coax cable and power cable through the same hole in the wall cavity wasn't a good idea either!

I also suspect that running my aerial coax cable and power cable through the same hole in the wall cavity wasn't a good idea either!

If you used quad-shield RG-6 for the aerial downlead and all flyleads this shouldn't be your problem. My 4-way splitter (with F-type connectors and all RG-6QS in/out) is right next to my powerboard and ALL my power cables and it doesn't give me any grief!

Good luck with it all!

• 4 weeks later...
Well it finally arrived yesterday....the 42" version. I had just picked up my universal wall mount for $300. A little bit of mucking around here and there and with-in an hour it was hung up on the wall.  I turned it on and noticed a lot of interference when watching analog TV channels. I have tried everything from swapping antenna cables and removing the HDSTB and DVD recorder from the loop, and even diconnected all other power cables to try and eliminate the source. No luck.....no matter what I tried, there was lines of fuzzyness around 1 inch thick running horizontally across the screen at spaces of around 4 inches....if that makes any sense.

When watching HD tv there is no problem....but I figure...for the odd time that I can't be bothered turning on the HDSTB....or even just the fact that I know it's there...is BOTHERING ME!!!

ANy assistance would be greatly appeciated.

I am absolutely new to plasma but have been testing the Viera 42" for a week now and the same symptoms as Steffche are giving me grief. The only thing which gives me an acceptable picture is my Panasonic TU-HDT104A HDSTB. The analogue tuners in the plasma and my Panasonic DVD recorder/player both give inferior pictures (regardless of whether using a splitter or bypassing the accessories and connecting from wall straight to the plasma). Using the HD box the Channels 70 and 90 HD loops are absolutely amazing and most other programs are very good. HD pictures through the STB deteriorate significantly with long distance and fast motion screenings such as team sports events (can't make out numbers on the back of shirts for example) yet if its a close up of a face you can see every pit, pimple and blemish in vivid detail. I have seen this plasma in a few shops before buying it and was very impressed. Obviously shops tend to always connect the STB's for display purposes and I suppose the STB and the plasma display are essential to each other. However, I have not given up and still think the weak link could be my 10 year old antenna and cable. I have no idea what cable was being used 10 years ago so it could also be that the cable is not up to digital standard. For under $200 I can get a newie installed and the investment will be peanuts compared to the cost of the plasma and STB.

I probably should have updated since I re-ran all my aerial cables. From antenna down to wall plug, and ALL fly leads interconnecting my units were replace with RG6 quad shield cable...and the analog picture is now quite amazing. Infact...at times I get conufsed which is digital and which is analog!

I probably should have updated since I re-ran all my aerial cables. From antenna down to wall plug, and ALL fly leads interconnecting my units were replace with RG6 quad shield cable...and the analog picture is now quite amazing. Infact...at times I get conufsed which is digital and which is analog!

I'm glad you got it sorted, Steff. I also couldn't believe the improvement in analogue reception and HD video PQ when I replaced all my RF cabling with RG-6 quad-shield - and this was only the flyleads in my case, because the building already had Belden RG-6 quad to my wall plates!!

IMHO, anyone who doesn't spend around $200 - on a crimping kit and a reel of cable, or for a professional installer - to do this type of RF cabling for their $2,000-20,000 display is absolutely mad ... even if they don't 'go digital'!

I totally agree.....

I've yet to replace all my analog audio L/R connections between DVD player/STB/VCR to TV (I have done this so that we don't have to have the surround amp on for every thing we watch). I figured that these connections wouldn't cause much interference with the video signals. Am I wrong? At the moment all my analog audio connections are done with the standard cables supplied with the equipment. I have only replaced my RF and Component Video leads. Infact, my digital coax connect to my amp are still using shitty standard cables. Would these affect PQ at all do you think?

As a side question.....how many plasma owners have found that having their color temp on normal/standard is better than the warm setting?

I totally agree.....

I've yet to replace all my analog audio L/R connections between DVD player/STB/VCR to TV (I have done this so that we don't have to have the surround amp on for every thing we watch). I figured that these connections wouldn't cause much interference with the video signals. Am I wrong?  At the moment all my analog audio connections are done with the standard cables supplied with the equipment. I have only replaced my RF and Component Video leads. Infact, my digital coax connect to my amp are still using shitty standard cables. Would these affect PQ at all do you think?

Analogue audio connections should not interfere with video. The braid shielding on even the cheapest audio leads should shield the low-frequency emissions from your video leads. On the other hand, you should get better better sound quality with better audio leads if you have a good amp and good speakers.

However, coax digital connections prefer a 75-ohm impedance and operate at video freqiencies, so you would be well-advised to use at least dual-shielded RG-59 cable for them. My 'cheapskate-purist' approach to this was to split a good Maxcable Pro component video cable into 3 separate coax digital cables at a total cost of just $20.

I totally agree.....

I've yet to replace all my analog audio L/R connections between DVD player/STB/VCR to TV (I have done this so that we don't have to have the surround amp on for every thing we watch). I figured that these connections wouldn't cause much interference with the video signals. Am I wrong?  At the moment all my analog audio connections are done with the standard cables supplied with the equipment. I have only replaced my RF and Component Video leads. Infact, my digital coax connect to my amp are still using shitty standard cables. Would these affect PQ at all do you think?

As a side question.....how many plasma owners have found that having their color temp on normal/standard is better than the warm setting?

I have color temp on standard and find it is better than the warm setting.