2.4GHz AV Senders

I see Dick Smith has the GigaAir2020 2.4GHz AV Sender on special at the moment for $78, which seems like a very good price. I was thinking of purchasing one for home to use with my digital set top box and probably DVD player.

Was just wondering how good/reliable are they and has anybody had any issus with them at all or are there better brands people can recommend?

http://www.dse.com.au/cgi-bin/dse.storefro...duct/View/L5866

the Gigaair camera models are fine and I presume same basic receivers though the unit DSE is selling is the legal 3 channel model rather than 4.

You can take back to DSE if not happy (e.g. if you have interference from others in the neighborhood. which u certainly would 'round here)

They are good price, but check the two on Ebay. Currently Aldi have one reduced to $69 and the one Jaycar have is fine but expensive. I think Grandtec are the best but no remote extender. If you want to be sure of good signal all the time then look at allthings.com.au (if only for ideas).

If you have a wifi setup then you may want to integrate AV sending into that.

I see Dick Smith has the GigaAir2020 2.4GHz AV Sender on special at the moment for $78, which seems like a very good price. I was thinking of purchasing one for home to use with my digital set top box and probably DVD player.

Was just wondering how good/reliable are they and has anybody had any issus with them at all or are there better brands people can recommend?

the Gigaair camera models are fine and I presume same basic receivers though the unit DSE is selling is the legal 3 channel model rather than 4.

You can take back to DSE if not happy (e.g. if you have interference from others in the neighborhood. which u certainly would 'round here)

They are good price, but check the two on Ebay. Currently Aldi have one reduced to $69 and the one Jaycar have is fine but expensive. I think Grandtec are the best but no remote extender. If you want to be sure of good signal all the time then look at allthings.com.au (if only for ideas).

If you have a wifi setup then you may want to integrate AV sending into that.

Decided to purchase the ALDI model in the end for use with my SD set Top Box.

They use standard RCA connections on the Transmitter and Sender as well as remote control extender/sensor that needs to be placed quiet close to the devices remote sensor. I found just stick the remote return sensor just above the sensor of item you wish to control.

For those interested, with older tv systems without AV input they also have RF out on the receiver. So all you need is to purchase/use/make an RF cable and tune in a spare channel to 36 and it will pick up the signal via RF.

A good investment for $69 and I know Aldi have a money back return policy if you are not happy with it.

• 4 weeks later...

I have the above unit and I'm not too happy with it. The picture quality is OK but the sound is dreadful. I'm thinking of abandoning it and hard wiring. Oh but the cables. :blink:

5.8ghz av senders are available and they are not prone to interference from microwave ovens. Theres a lo powered model with remote extender and 1 watt without.

There are also 100mw, 1 and 2 watt 2.4ghz sets available but with out extenders.

You can't buy any of the above over the counter in Oz. So look hard.

I have the above unit and I'm not too happy with it. The picture quality is OK but the sound is dreadful. I'm thinking of abandoning it and hard wiring. Oh but the cables. :blink:

• 3 weeks later...

Hey careful, you are stepping into a minefield. To do S-Video needs 2 individual channels to keep the Chrominance and Lumiance separate, Component = 3 channels! I think these AV senders are all 1 video channel products and those with S-Video connectors simply parellel the Chrominance and Luminance up over 1 channel, making them no better than composite. These AV senders have their jobs, but they can't be as good as good old fashioned coax!