Help! My S-VHS VCR is unconscious!

Hi All,

Arrghhh! My JVC HR-S9400 S-VHS VCR has popped a vein!

Would any forum electronics wizard in inner-Brisbane be able to attempt to fix it for me - or at least be able to quickly diagnose the extent of the problem at reasonable cost?

A local repairer has quoted me $75 just to have a look at it! I told him it looks quite nice, but he wouldn't budge! FWIW, this repair/rental store also has a bad 'rip-off' reputation among local residents.

Symptoms: Just went dead while nobody was watching! Was OK last time I used it - about a month ago. I've opened the case and replaced the blown fuse a couple of times, but the new fuses instantly blow as soon as power is switched on at the wall. Seems to me like some kind of internal short-circuit?

Cost Issues: While it would be nice to have it fixed, so that friends can still bring their tapes over to watch on my setup, it now really only gets about 1 hour a month usage, so cost is a big issue.

No doubt JVC will require me to deposit an arm and a leg before they will look at it - since it cost around $1,500 six years ago - yet it is probably now only worth $100-200 on eBay even when it's working!

If it's a simple problem, I'd be very happy to pay for the repairs. If it's a more complex/expensive problem, it would be better value kept as a doorstop!

Can anybody assist or offer [printable] suggestions? There are always suitable refreshments on hand if someone were to quickly pop into New Farm with a multimeter and some knowledge? :blink:

Thanks in advance,

Ian

<Unprintables deleted>

The good news? Well, it does sound like it could be a simple problem, at least.

The bad - as you know, these guys do like making money for jam ... there ought to be a special "dudes in the know" callout charge for technicians who can expect a drink and chat with someone sensible rather than the usual greeting of "Duh! Mah TV no work!", followed by plugging in of power cable, etc!

My Loewe SVHS is of similar age, and is beginning to show a few "foibles" (nothing that isnt fixed by a bit of button-switching/power-cycling). Still amazes me the quality of the (bloody expensive) tapes - I'm still using the same four I've had since new!!!

Ian

Its most likey a power supply problem if its seperate to the main board and has plugs that connect to the main mother board you may be able to purchase it yourself. for a fuse to blow that quick it may well be one of the rectifying diodes or a module that contains the four diodes in a moulded pack the only other component may be the rectifying capacitor good luck

cheers laurie

Ian

Its most likey a power supply problem if its seperate to the main board and has plugs that connect to the main mother board you may be able to purchase it yourself. for a fuse to blow that quick it may well be one of the rectifying diodes or a module that contains the four diodes in a moulded pack the only other component may be the rectifying capacitor good luck

cheers laurie

ps:you can also try to disconnect the connectors if its a seperate supply this will then prove where the problem is!

Ian

cheers laurie

ps:you can also try to disconnect the connectors if its a seperate supply this will then prove where the problem is!

Many thanks, Laurie. I just found my digital MM in the garage this arvo, so I'll check your suggestions in the morning! I also seem to remember some kind of circuit diagram in the manual, so I'll start a hunt for that now, too.

Ta,

Ian

just make sure the fuse used is a fast blow or a slow blow to replace what you had. If you replace a slow blow with a fast blow its gonna blow pretty quick - instantly sometimes. Take your old fuse down to tandy to check if its fast or slow if your not sure. Hopefully this is all it is.

I do't think it'd be worth a fix - yes I remember paying over a grand for a vcr too!!!.

just make sure the fuse used is a fast blow or a slow blow to replace what you had. If you replace a slow blow with a fast blow its gonna blow pretty quick - instantly sometimes. Take your old fuse down to tandy to check if its fast or slow if your not sure. Hopefully this is all it is.

I don't think it'd be worth a fix - yes I remember paying over a grand for a vcr too!!!.

Thanks, Al. Another great tip! Jaycar should have both types for me to try? (I've chucked all the blown ones).

It's such an outstanding VCR to use that I'd also like to keep it for those rare times when I want to play something that is *still* not available on DVD (for example, 'Talking Heads: Stop Making Sense' - has anyone seen it in Oz?)! (My Sharp VHS is in another room ... and connecting it to the NEC plasma would be like chucking a brick through a Rembrandt!) :blink:

I don't think it'd be worth a fix - yes I remember paying over a grand for a vcr too!!!.

Thanks, Al. Another great tip! Jaycar should have both types for me to try? (I've chucked all the blown ones).

It's such an outstanding VCR to use that I'd also like to keep it for those rare times when I want to play something that is *still* not available on DVD (for example, 'Talking Heads: Stop Making Sense' - has anyone seen it in Oz?)! (My Sharp VHS is in another room ... and connecting it to the NEC plasma would be like chucking a brick through a Rembrandt!) :blink:

Not sure about jaycar(surely they would) but tandy would definetely have them. these only cost cents so yes try both if not sure. Start with the fast blow and if it blows try the slow if it still blows its trouble - might be time for a trip to the docta for a bit of healing!