UEC VCR scart use problem

Hi..

had Foxtel Digital installed on Monday.. not bad.. thought it would be HD not SD.. should have read this forum :blink:

problem.

I bought the DSE scart > s-vid adapter.. plugged into the UEC TV scart port.. Works fine. Definately worth doing, picture much better than composite.

but..

my Sharp VCR is attached to the UEC VCR port with the supplied AV [x6] cable, issue I have is that I only get a Black & White picture on the TV or as recorded on tape, when switched to 'AV' using the STU remote control. :P

If I remove the DSE s-vid adapter and just use the supplied scart > composites .. the picture is in full colour & recorded images are colour.

So it's like somehow the colour info is negated [chrominance?] when the s-vid adapter is in use.. what-the-????????

any ideas?

help appreciated!

Asa

:P

Bit hard to see exactly what you are have troubles with without more info. But I assume that your VCR is an S-Video one rather than basic Composite. In which case I should point out that the VCR SCART only support Composite, this is normal, infact very few SCART STB's provide anything more than Composite on the VCR connector as 95% of the VHS VCR's on the planet do no better.

So what is most likely happening is that your VCR's S-Video input is filtering the Composite video to show only B&W (as it should by the way). And when you connect direct as a composite connection then the full colour composite signal is seen.

So as I see it there is no problem, just with your expectations.

Cheers

Cyril

Bit hard to see exactly what you are have troubles with without more info. But I assume that your VCR is an S-Video one rather than basic Composite. In which case I should point out that the VCR SCART only support Composite, this is normal, infact very few SCART STB's provide anything more than Composite on the VCR connector as 95% of the VHS VCR's on the planet do no better.

So what is most likely happening is that your VCR's S-Video input is filtering the Composite video to show only B&W (as it should by the way). And when you connect direct as a composite connection then the full colour composite signal is seen.

So as I see it there is no problem, just with your expectations.

Cheers

Cyril

thanks for getting back..

sorry when I said..

"my Sharp VCR is attached to the UEC VCR port with the supplied AV [x6] cable, .."

I meant the supplied composite scart AV cable.. my Sharp VCR is composite i/o only :blink:

any other thoughts?

Asa

I understand what you're saying, asahartford, because the same thing happens to me on my second STU (also a UEC). It seems when video output is set to S-video, it also affects the VCR scart output so that it appears in B&W via composite connections. I just left my TV connection as composite (it is only a cheapie TV in the bedroom anyway). You can either change the set-up back to composite when wanting to view or tape to your VCR (a bit of a pain I know), or use the 3 separate RCA plugs to connect to your VCR (although you then lose your playback through AV button utility). Neither is ideal, but can't think of any opther way around it.

STill don't understand, you state that if you use a SCART to Composite RCA cable connect to the STB's VCR SCART output and to the Sharps composite in then all is fine. Then where is the problem.

ok I'll try again.. :P

my UEC STU was supplied with 2 scart cables. 1 scart for the VCR port, which has 2 sets of AV leads. The other scart for the TV port, which has 1 set of AV connectors...

both connected up everything is dandy.. recording on VCR, viewing in AV mode thru VCR etc.. all good

next..I replaced the TV scart lead with the DSE scart > s-video adapter. & s-video cable. Picture quality is really good.....

BUT...

now all colour is missing in AV mode thru the VCR.. recorded and viewed.

Why?

if I remove the DSE scart adapter & re-install the original scart > composite lead to the TV port on the STU.. everything is restored. Colour is restored, recordable & viewable..

So for some reason the colour signal/data is lost when using the DSE adapter..

this is the dilema

:blink:

I understand what you're saying, asahartford, because the same thing happens to me on my second STU (also a UEC). It seems when video output is set to S-video, it also affects the VCR scart output so that it appears in B&W via composite connections. I just left my TV connection as composite (it is only a cheapie TV in the bedroom anyway). You can either change the set-up back to composite when wanting to view or tape to your VCR (a bit of a pain I know), or use the 3 separate RCA plugs to connect to your VCR (although you then lose your playback through AV button utility). Neither is ideal, but can't think of any opther way around it.

I will say this LOUD for all. The video scart DOES NOT DO S VIDEO/RGB/YUV only the tv scart sorry for yellibng but I must have posted this many times hope everyone reads this and if you dont understand me pm me.

Zos Ps I have posted this in other forums and forget where and how often

I will say this LOUD for all. The video scart DOES NOT DO S VIDEO/RGB/YUV only the tv scart sorry for yellibng but I must have posted this many times hope everyone reads this and if you dont understand me pm me.

What is your problem??? :blink: I don't believe I said that the VCR scart did any particular type of output. However it IS A FACT that if you change the video output of the TV scart to S-video, and have a VCR connected to the VCR scart, it changes the image coming from the VCR to B&W on some (can't claim all) UEC STUs. So you can say whatever you want as LOUDLY as you want.

ok.. I circumvented..

bought a 4 port composite / s-video switch box..

now I use the following...

-

[scart TV]STU >s-vid> --------------------> Switch in-1

[scart TV]STU >A r/w rca>----------------> Switch in-1

[AV out]STU >A+V r/w/y comp.+rca>----> VCR AV in

[scart VCR] << NOT IN USE

------------------------------------------------------

VCR >A+V r/w/y comp.+rca> -----------> Switch in-2

Switch > s-vid out-1>--------------> TV s-vid in-1

Switch >A r/w rca out-1>-----------> TV AV in-1

TV >A r/w rca monitor out>>>>-------------> Onkyo Rcvr. Vid2 Audio in

so I don't use the VCR scart at all now.. using the STU AV composite rca outputs for the VCR AV composite input.

Sound is..... ok.. shorter good quality leads should help.

Cheers

Asa

:blink:

What is your problem??? :blink: I don't believe I said that the VCR scart did any particular type of output. However it IS A FACT that if you change the video output of the TV scart to S-video, and have a VCR connected to the VCR scart, it changes the image coming from the VCR to B&W on some (can't claim all) UEC STUs. So you can say whatever you want as LOUDLY as you want.

What I was saying is the vcr scart does composite only properly the box has to set to composite for it to work properlly. Yes I know its stupid and there should be two setups (one for each scart which is what the old uec sat box had pre new digital).

Its just the way the box was made. So anyone finding it a problem ring Foxtel and demand they fix it or go the the acc as Foxtel are becoming a joke.

Zos

which case I should point out that the VCR SCART only support Composite, this is normal, infact very few SCART STB's provide anything more than Composite on the VCR connector as 95% of the VHS VCR's on the planet do no better.

Acutally the VCR port, at least on the Pace does output s-video simultenously. I agree that VHS is not really going to be dramatically better with s-video, but as we move to HDD and DVD recorders it is necessary for manufacturers to provide at least s-video as an option on the "VCR" port

Acutally the VCR port, at least on the Pace does output s-video simultenously. I agree that VHS is not really going to be dramatically better with s-video, but as we move to HDD and DVD recorders it is necessary for manufacturers to provide at least s-video as an option on the "VCR" port

Hmm. I have my DVD Recorder connected to the VCR out of the pace fox digital box via an S-Video cable (as well as an S-Video cable from the TV Output to the TV). The S-Video on the DVD Recorder is perfect. Seems to work for me.