Any ceiling mount recommendations?

I used a $17 Jaycar speaker mount (part no CW2841) after picking up the tip from someone on this forum (I think).

Works just fine. Seems to me that projector accessories are such a niche market - and way overpriced.

Don't do what I did though - remember that the PJ hangs upside down and the lens offset goes in the opposite direction to when it's the right way up. Doh! Took longer to repair the hole in the ceiling than to mount the bloody thing! :blink:

Hi Digian,

I just made an MDF base of the appropriate size then traced the mounting holes and transferred them to the mounting plate. Just drill holes in the appropriate spots. You'll then need size M8 screws. I also used wing nuts as I found that the weight of the projector made it a little lopsided. Using the wing nuts lets you straighten her up. Looks excellent.

There's also a recessed area where the bracket meets the ceiling - this can be used to hide the cables if you use a hole saw.

Hope this helps.

Edit: Found the original post http://www.dtvforum.info/index.php?showtopic=9181

Thanks Dik for the tip

The difference between a pro made mount and a home made one is, that usually the home made one looks like crap and the bought one looks the part, the latter usually has tilt and yaw. The LP Morgan Skyhook I have is adjustable up and down and cables are hidden in the shaft.

• 3 weeks later...
Hi all, I have decided that the projector has to be moved to the roof, I have thought about the remote control in ceiling mounts but I expect them to be out of my price range.

Any recommendations on good value ceiling mounts?

I used a $17 Jaycar speaker mount also Farnell got a similar one to Jacar but uses a ball joint & up to 4KG cost $80 a pair

Guest barracuda

Don't own a projector yet, still investigating, but interested in the thread just the same. Is tilt that important in a ceiling mount for a PJ? As soon as you go out of parallel (or perpendicular to the screen) don't you then get into keystone correction issues? My understanding was that the "ideal" was to keep the PJ perpendicular and then use lens shift where necessary.

BTW - have used these Jaycar mounts for mounting speakers with no issues, although you'd want to be sure of the capture screws holding the mounting bracket when suspending something beneath them.

Cheers,

I have seen a Vogel EPC 4010 which looks the part, I can get it for $280.

Yup - this is the same that I have used with the Panasonic AE700 - works well, doesnt hang too low - even if you have standard 8ft ceilings etc. Hardly Normal purchase price is $242, so if your paying 280-90 you have a good deal - some places i have seen it advertised for 399 !!! :blink:

Just reading this thread, there is a newly released Universal Projector bracket on the market we bring in from China.

It is a heavy duty ceiling mount bracket that allows for mounting of projectors. The adjustable swivel mount allows 30 degrees of horizontal adjustment and 30 degrees of vertical adjustment. Mounting holes can be up to 460mm apart. Can be varied in height (from the mounting surface/point) 500mm to 800mm in 100mm steps.

We stock them, it is very nice looking product and black powder coated. Consists of an adjustable plate and post.

Call (02) 96514491 for more information. Our introductory price is $69.00 inc GST plus $22.00 delivery to your door.

(Quantum Sphere)

Don't own a projector yet, still investigating, but interested in the thread just the same.  Is tilt that important in a ceiling mount for a PJ?  As soon as you go out of parallel (or perpendicular to the screen) don't you then get into keystone correction issues?  My understanding was that the "ideal" was to keep the PJ perpendicular and then use lens shift where necessary.

Cheers,

Hi, I am very happy with the LP Morgan, according to the instruction book it is best to keep the lens shift to a minimum, use it only if you need to. It also says not to have the projector on a angle any more than 30 degrees. I have mine set up with a slight lens shift applied, most tilt is in the bracket. When installing as soon as you fix it away from centre you will have to use keystone correction. :blink:

• 5 weeks later...

(Quantum Sphere)

Do you have any pictures that you can show us.

Yes, I do have pictures and an instruction manual.

Send me an email to sales@qsphere.com.au and I will reply.

It is a nice bracket to work with and well priced.

Regards

Michael

Hi everyone,

You can download a brochure on this projector mount + plasma wall mounts and plasma ceiling mounts at:

www.qsphere.com.au/mounts.pdf

Once agin, the price is $89.00 inc GST, fully delivered.

Regards

Quantum Sphere

EMail: Sales@qsphere.com.au

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi...bayphotohosting

My mount. The catch.... the bit white, is a speaker mount. This is not a product designed for a PJ, it is "made" to fit a PJ. I did the same bout 1.5years ago (for the X1), using the exact same mount that my mate had his speakers mounted with (he used the other). Maybe i should have started selling em on ebay (they only appeared well after my first idea)

Anyways the mount is locally made, was from stereo supplies i think. You could adapt to any PJ just cut a base plate to attach to the PJ and then screw the mount too it.

Good thing about it is it is a ball, so can move any any direction, good for fine tuning. If you get one that can only move on 2 axis then unless it is fitted 100% prefect, and the screen also (unlikely) will be difficult to get it perfectly aligned.

Oh also, just clips off, PJ can come down in 2secs :blink: