LG LST 4100P Remote Control

Anyone else with an LG LST 4100P having problems with the remote control? ie it works ok when standing directly in front of the STB but try to use the remote from an angle and standing back about 3 metres, no good..

I have hardware version 1.1 software 1.00.06 I even tried my friends remote who has the same hardware version and same thing..

If you stand back about 3 metres and try to use the remote on a 90 degree angle perpendicular to the STB it will not work!!! You have to stand in a direct line with it. Is the IR receiver located somewhere out of line of sight??

All my other remotes work fine the stb box is the only one that wont work on an angle there is nothing obstructing the view of stb, i have removed the plastic off front panel and tried brand new good brand batteries..

Does anyone know where the receiver is located on the STB??

BTW the remote lights up ok when using it so I know the remote is transmitting..

Anyone else with an LG LST 4100P having problems with the remote control? ie it works ok when standing directly in front of the STB but try to use the remote from an angle and standing back about 3 metres, no good..

I have hardware version 1.1 software 1.00.06 I even tried my friends remote who has the same hardware version and same thing..

If you stand back about 3 metres and try to use the remote on a 90 degree angle perpendicular to the STB it will not work!!! You have to stand in a direct line with it. Is the IR receiver located somewhere out of line of sight??

All my other remotes work fine the stb box is the only one that wont work on an angle there is nothing obstructing the view of stb, i have removed the plastic off front panel and tried brand new good brand batteries..

Does anyone know where the receiver is located on the STB??

BTW the remote lights up ok when using it so I know the remote is transmitting..

Don't fret, this issue was raised a while back (by me i think) - there's nothing wrong with your unit, it's just the way it was designed. I have no trouble at around 3m, but I do have to be aiming directly at the front panel of the stb, not just in the general direction (unfortunately). It's an annoyance, but you'll get used to it after a while.

I too find it very directional. With playing around I think it has about a +/- 45-ish deg control angle. The LG TV remote has a very wide angle of control (about +/- 80 to 85 deg) plus is not that bothered by small objects in the way e.g pot plants, stuff on coffee table (that seems to pile up) etc & will bounce off walls with ease. But the LG STB remote seems to work at 4.5 m range (my lounge room) but very narrow angle and is stopped by stuff in the way of the signal. I find I just need to be very specific when I point & shoot the STB remote.

B.T.W ... the new Sony DVD player DVPNS780 remote is fantastic (it will control everything except the STB) with range and angle being the best I've had. RRP has also dropped to A$249 on Sonys website.

As you say Big W, I think it's worsened by having other devices with such generous operating angles that you can operate fine from a certain position, but then go to use the stb remote and have to shift over (i know, sounds trivial) to work it.

I didn't carry out experiments on bouncing it off walls and floors, but I know with my old foxtel remote, u can basically point it anywhere in the room and it will work - something that's defenitely not the case with the LG.

• 1 year later...

i hate to bump such an old thread, but i was just wondering if this problem still continues?

For some reason my remote has decided to crap itself, it does not work at all when in STB mode, works perfectly fine when in TV mode, but just refuses to work with the STB.

Yes i have put fresh batteries and have even tried it directly in front of the unit, but still refuses to work.

Should i contact my retailer or LG? I'm worried though that if i return it to the retailer, once they plug it in, it'll work and we are going to look like the biggest morons.

Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance.