What is the best RPTV around $3k

Hi everyone

I have friend who wants to get a RPTV but which one??

His requirements are wide viewing angle, good resolution, good picture, 16:9 and screen size 110cm plus.

LCD, DLP, CRT are all acceptable.

He only needs a TV that handle component very well as he does not have a digital video source and is unlikely to get one. He doesn't have the 'bug'. :blink:

Could the knowledgable, helpful people on the forum please suggest some models.

If there is already an accepted 'king' in this price range, please advise.

Thanks all.

J

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Mattrus1503559750
Please.......

Well for around $3000 i'd recommend the Panna 42" (43? the smallest CRT rear pro they make anyway) CRT rear pro... about $3200 it can be had for. You can get the Sony for around the same price.

Read though the posts... there are quite a few "what's the best for $Xxx.xx?" posts.

MB.

Guest Mattrus1503559750

Although your mate does not have the digital "bug", he surely soon will have, or atleast regret his purchase of dated technology (not calling CRT dated... but for $3k... you're not getting the latest) down the track. I'd recommend going with a DLP or LCD rear pro product for a bit extra and future proofing.

MB.

Concur with Mattrus. Panasonic the way to go for CRT rear pro.

16:9 model can be had for less than $3K.

Sony rears are OK but Pana best, hands down.

Samsung best for LCD RP but still a bit pricey.

Sony 76cm CRT's excellent, but don't have the "big screen" thing it sounds like ya mate wants.

Just don't, for God's sake, buy a cheapie plasma. You'll HATE it in 12 months.

Disagree with the "$3K - dated - CRT" argument - PQ stomps others in that bracket. :ph34r:

Guys

Thanks for the contributions.

Had quick search before posting this thread but I need current info.

Today we saw a 130cm widescreen CRT rear pro 'Conia' brand TV today that looked quite good.

Had the matt finish screen and was viewable from a wide angle.

It was only $2200 on sale.

Is this a model posters are familiar with, anyone have one?

I was surprised how good the pic looked for the price!

We saw the Panasonics too and they are on the shortlist.

J

Stay away from the Conia, they are crap.

Stick to big name brands with plenty of experience building CRT RPTV’s.

In no particular order these are:

Panasonic, Sony, Toshiba, Hitachi.

As for which is best, it is not possible to say without owning them all to compare.

After a bit of calibration work, they will all be very good.

You can’t go wrong with the Panasonic. From what I have seen of them they work well out of the box, which is good if you don’t intend to spend time and effort getting the service manual so you can calibrate properly.

If you are the hobbyist type, and do intend to tweak it to the max, the Hitachi will be very good and can be purchased very cheap.

For $3000 or less, you should be able to get a 47” Hitachi model without any trouble and if you try, you can probably get the Panasonic down close to that as well, so don’t go for a smaller model unless you really can’t find the extra funds.

As for future proofing, well a properly set up CRT RPTV will provide an overall better picture then ANY comparable size digital display available, prize no object.

So if you buy digital today, you get lower quality at a higher price, and in 2010, the CRT RPTV will still be outperforming the digital display you could have purchased back in 2005.

So much for future proofing with digital, anything you buy today will be obsolete by 2010.

Regards,

Owen

Sorry for double posting, but this is probably the better thread to post in. And also sorry for thread jumping... But...

Hey Guys,

A the moment I'm looking at the Sony KPFW46M31 which I have pretty much made my mind up about. I can get it at JB Hifi for $2750 /w free Delivery.

But now, I've been searching and a LOT of people are saying that the Panasonic is the best Rear Pro TV to get for around that price. The main thing which I like in the Sony is the 720p which I will be using with my Xbox with an American HD Adapter which the Panasonic does not have.

A lot of people are saying that it has a better picture and the Anti-Refective screen is a BIG plus tho.

Any idea's?

Thanks Guys.

Be Nice, this is my first post :blink:

[EDIT] Also. the remote is a BIG thing for me. The Sony remote is very stylish and well constructed. I have not seen the Pana remote.

Thanks very much for your thoughts owen.

I am a fan of CRT rearprojectors and have recommended CRT be the tech he looks at.

What we really like about the panasonics was the black border around the screen.

The increased perception of contrast will help.

Hi Klone & welcome :blink:

Klone do you have other AV equipment?

Have you thought about a universal remote?

That way you could have mint remote that controls all your gear and has an interface & style that you like.

There is a wide variety available.

That Sony looks good, I will have to find one on display in Melbourne to check out. JB in the city probably.

Toshiba are excellent but $1000 more....

The search goes on.

J

At the moment, I dont really have much HT stuff. Run my DVD's through the Xbox at the moment, but I will be getting a H/K DVD 25 or DVD 22 DVD player very soon after the TV.

My Audio at the moment, is a 7.1 Creative s750 setup with the DDTS-100 Decoder. Works very well and was quite cheap considering. Then just have a Sony VHS player as well.

I see what you mean about the black border on the Panasonic now actually.

If you can, check out the Sony for me and see what you think :blink: That would be awesome.

From memory, the 47" panasonic can be had for under $3,000..

Id spend the extra $500 and get a Hitachi 57" - $3500 someone said they were a few weeks ago!..

If you need the anti-reflective screen, then a Panasonic will see you well, I was considering one of these prior to getting a toshiba 57" - which I wont go into at this stage.. you can find my post if you want my opinion on toshibas.

720p will give you a better picture for viewing text as there is no flicker/shimmer - I find text at 1080i to be quite flickering and a little fuzzy whereas at 540P or 480P its very clear and no flicker/shimmer. - I wish my tosh did 720P.. 576P is also fuzzy for text for me but no flicker.

You cant do better a better big-screen than HD CRT RPTV for that sort of money.

Cheers,

Bitey

Hi mr bitey

I have read that the Hitachi has a narrow viewing area?

I think it will be between the Sony 47inch and the Panasonic 47inch.

I just want to see the pixel structure on each.

My guess is that the Sony will be a finer pitch.....

I will keep posting our findings.

J

Thanks for the findings guys.

mr.bitey, $3.5 is out of my range and so is 57" unfortunately.

I think I could probably get the Panasonic for under $2700, but I have been quoted $2750 inc delivery for the Sony which is the most I will pay :|

Again,.. I think the 720P is the turning point at the moment with the Sony.

KLoNe,

It'll be worth viewing the sony at 720P - it may actually scale it to 1080i or down to 576p - perhaps someone that owns one of these can comment if it will really display 720P

From my experience the sony has a very very soft image, the panasonic being sharper.

Also I think the sony's have a glass-like reflective screen, whereas the panasonic have a matt-screen which is much better for anti-reflection/glare.

Cheers,

Bitey

Thanks mr.bitey :P

No use asking sales people I supposed as 99% of them will have no idea of what 720P even means. Will an email to Sony be of any use? They couldn't 'lie' about their products could they? :blink:

I'll send sony an email tonight asking if they really do display a 720P properly, and hopefully someone on here can confirm/deny if the set does or not.

I think you're right about the screens tho, I'm pretty sure the Pana has a matt screen which acts as an anti-reflactant (is that a real word :P)

Anyway, thanks again,

I'll go have a look at both of them tonight.

What are some questions I could pull on the sales person to get them shaking?

KLoNe,

Toshiba (Castel) lied to me about the 57VW9UA being able to display 720P I have it in writing, and I even asked twice.

Ask away.. its grounds for a refund if infact it does not - that doesnt help you tho once youve gone to the hassle of getting it in the first place :blink:

Make sure you ask them if it displays 720P without scaling, ie. If you were to feed it a 720P signal, would it display 720P natively without scaling it up (to 1080i or down to 576P or 480P).

Cheers,

Bitey

Ok, I just sent them an email enquiring about the subject, I'll keep you upto date on what's happening. I'm going to JB HiFi tonight and I will see if they can show me a decent DVD movie or something (they're always playing stupid movies like SpaceBalls or some crap) to see what they're like, and I'll make them keep the lights on to see what the (not)anti-reflective screens are like in the light.

Klone, I owned the Panasonic 119cm. I sold it after a few months and replaced it with the Sony 130cm (the big brother to the one you're looking at)

The Sony is a much better all-round TV IMO. The most important thing to remember is - its all about personal taste. Don't let other people's opinions sway you away from what you like about the picture.

For those who say 'The Panasonic has a sharper picture'............I can easily argue that the sharper picture shows up more picture noise.

For those who say 'The Panasonic has an anti-reflective screen'............I can easily say that it tends to dull the picture.

So while some think these are pluses, others like myself see them a negatives.

I guess my point is, don't take people's opinions as fact. Some of the people posting don't even own either one of the brands you are looking at, but still like to think they know what they are talking about.

Anyway, happy purchasing. I'm sure you'll be happy with either.

Oh, and to answer the other question about 720P................the Sony will display 480P, 576P, 720P and 1080i natively. So if you feed it a 720P signal, it will display it as 720P.

Hi chilla

How do you know the Sony displays the 720p as 720p?

Have you produced a jpeg with 360 pairs of alternating whte then black horizontal lines and fed it to the tv using a HTPC at 720p?

I think this is the only way you can tell.

I'm not flaming, just trying to be scientific.

Please let us know.

J

Hi mr bitey

I have read that the Hitachi has a narrow viewing area?

My guess is that the Sony will be a finer pitch.....

Where did you hear that the Hitachi has a narrow viewing angle?

I have a Hitachi 57" and it works fine at 45deg off axis or more.

How much viewing angle do you need?

CRT RPTV's do NOT have any pixel’s and therefor do not have a pitch as such.

There is a vertical pitch depending on the number of horizontal scan lines, but with 1080 lines , this is VERY small.

Horizontal pitch is none existent, or zero, as the drawing of horizontal line is an analogue function and totally without pixel’s.

Three tube CRT systems are the only displays to offer this lack of pixel’s and it is the main reason that they can look so good.

I also prefer the picture on a shiny screen. It adds depth to the image.

If you do not have reflection problems, a shiny screen is a good thing for picture quality.

Owen

Thanks so much again guys.

Sony hasn't gotten back to me yet, but I'm not surprised.

Still have awhile before I get the TV (buying it myself for my own b'day on 6th Nov :blink:). So will do some more research this weekend.

I can't believe that JB HiFi has their sets (even some plasma's) running standard commercial TV, not even HD. I mean, don't they want to sell them?

Keep the ideas coming in guys. I'm very appriciative!

I can't believe that JB HiFi has their sets (even some plasma's) running standard commercial TV, not even HD. I mean, don't they want to sell them?

This is a deliberate tactic (by all of them, not just my friends at JB and HN) to make the CRTs/etc look crappy and make the plasmas look good!

(Note: A well set-up Toshiba 76cm TV ($2k) beats the pants off a Viera 42" plasma ($6-8k?) for HDTV or SDTV PQ with a good setup).

Some consumer 'watch-dog' (most of them act more like guard-dogs!) should step in here - because it really is a deliberate attempt to mislead the public into spending way too much of their hard-earned money just to get started with DTV. :blink: :ph34r:

2i cents,

Ian

Disclaimer: I now own an NEC 42" plasma ($5.8k) and am delighted with its PQ against anything else (except Owen's CRT-RPTV!) - but this is a "consumer protection" issue, not a "mine's better than yours" issue.

I have also recently bought from both JB and HN - but, thanks to this forum, I know what I want, how much I want to pay, and spend as little as 5 minutes in the shop listening to their crap before I walk out with what I went to [quickly] purchase!

This is a deliberate tactic (by all of them, not just my friends at JB and HN) to make the CRTs look crappy and make the plasmas look good!

(Note: A well set-up Toshiba 76cm TV ($2k) beats the pants off a Viera 42" plasma ($6-8k) for PQ with a good setup).

Some consumer 'watch-dog' (most of them act more like guard-dogs!) should step in here - because it really is a deliberate attempt to mislead the public into spending way too much of their hard-earned money for DTV. :blink: :ph34r:

2i cents,

Ian

Disclaimer: I own an NEC 42" plasma and am delighted with its PQ against anything else - but this is a "consumer protection" issue, not a "mine's better than yours" issue.

I have also recently bought from both JB and HN - but, thanks to this forum, I know what I want, how much I want to pay, and spend as little as 5 minutes in the shop listening to their crap before I walk out with what I went to [quickly] purchase!

That is a good idea.

Now, who would that watch-dog be? . . . . .(searches) . . . .

Ah! I think I have found them! DTV Watch-dog

Hope this helps! Self regulation, Why even sensible people get fat.

That is a good idea.

Now, who would that watch-dog be? . . . . .(searches) . . . .

Ah! I think I have found them! DTV Watch-dog

Hope this helps! Self regulation, Why even sensible people get fat.

:blink: LOL! After seeing that lineup of "the usual suspects", I am moved to paraphrase John Kerry: "It would be like going to the mafia for protection against crime!!".