Avermedia DVB-T work on linux?

Guest Spartan117

Guest Spartan117

I recently installed suse on my 40GB HDD cause i heared that it has better support for the avermedia dvb-t digital turner card. The software for windows always crashes, freezes, looses singnals or generally pisses me of :blink:

Could some one please spoon feed me a url for a program which will run this card through SUSE 9.1 and if possible, explain how to install it?

Cheers, Spartan117 (1st post :P

Guest Spartan117

oh C'mon, doesn't anybody know how to get the Avermedia DVB-T to work in SUSE? OR does my post not make sences OR don't people here like n00bs? Well at least i'm trying to learn linux and everybody starts out as a n00b.

So can people give me some usefull Advice in simple terms?

Guest Gizmomelb

As you said, maybe no one here knows how to get the Avermedia working with SUSE.

Here's some hopefully useful advice - if you try being nicer and less impatient on a forum then you're more likely to get people directly helping you.

Here's some more advice - http://www.linuxtv.org/cgi-bin/htwrap.pl - is the link for the LinuxTV DVB mailing list archives, you may find the answer to what you seek in there.

Gizmomelb

Guest Spartan117

Thanks for that. I will check out that site. I switched to linux mainly because i heared that the avermedia software was a lot better for linux that windows. Also i like to try new things. I will check the net, that site and ill keep checking this site so if anyone wants to reply, i will read it.

I will let you know how it goes, also so other people will know.

Guest Gizmomelb

Hi again,

here's some help, direct from the author of the Linux A771 drivers (Christopher Pascoe):

"The card you have isn't in the code you are running. I guess you are

using the current 1.1.1 release code, not the dvb-kernel CVS. The 1.1.1 release was made before the 771 was around.

> modprobe dvb-bt8xx

>

> Oct 17 09:15:43 linuxpvr kernel: dvb_bt8xx_init: unknown card_id found 7711461

> Oct 17 09:15:43 linuxpvr kernel: dvb_bt8xx_init: unknown card_type found 7B, NOT

> LOADED

> Oct 17 09:15:43 linuxpvr kernel: dvb_bt8xx_init: unknown card_nr found 0

> Oct 17 09:15:43 linuxpvr kernel: attach: checking "bt878 #0 [hw]"

> Oct 17 09:15:43 linuxpvr kernel: find by pci: checking "bt878 #0 [hw]"

These messages are gone in the current code - I thought they looked

strange - which also has support for the AverMedia 771 in it.

To fetch the current CVS code, follow the instructions at

http://www.linuxtv.org/cvs/ . The module name you want to retrieve is

"dvb-kernel". Fetch this and read the instructions in the top level

README on how to build it (there is a note about building for BTTV based

cards in there).

Alternatively, you can fetch and build the current kernel (2.6.9-rc4 or

higher), which should have support in it for the 771 out of the box."

So doing a Kernel upgrade sounds to be the easiest way to add support for the A771 hardware (the A761 hardware should already be supported). If I get the time I'll download SUSE and try making a build.

Gizmomelb

Guest Spartan117

Okay, thanks for the reply. As i am new to linux, i don't understand what a 'kernal' is exactly. That thing you said about biulding a kernal, does that mean you could biuld like a 'service pack' which would let me use the avermedia dvb-t? I will try to learn these terms by reading linux guides but i have only had SUSE 9.1 for 3 days. I am still trying to get my 'winmodem' to work in it. I cant really afford to buy a new external modem right now.

Thanks for the help,

Spartan_117

I am a newbie as you are, but my impression is that support for the AVERTV 771 is still experimental.

Maybe in 6 months these trouble will be forgotten, but at the moment DVB-T in general and the AVERTV 771 in particular require at least some linux skills.

Luca