Avertv dvb-t 771 & Linux - Software

Yesterday evening I have finally manage to compile a working kernel (my first!!!) which seems to support the card; a modprobe with the various modules (mt352, bttv, etc) work without error (actually it doesn't give any feedback at all so I assumed that it should be ok).

I'm using Mandrake CE 10.1. I couldn't actually use the card because I don't have any software for it. Before installing Mythtv (which will probably be difficult enough for a newbie like me), is there a simple and basic software I could use just to verify if it actually works and to tune some stations (rpms would be very appreciated)?

Do packaged versions of mythtv include support for DVB or I need to compile everything from source?

Any suggestion for making a linux based set top box using this card and it's remote?

Thanks

Ciao

Luca

mplayer or xine can be used with your dvb card..

However, I like kaxtv: http://perso.club-internet.fr/hftom/kaxtv/

Tis easy to install, and not too hard to configure. You just need to know the frequency at which the digital tv channels are transmitted in your area. kaxtv uses its own channel format, so you cannot use the channels.conf most other programs use.

Mythtv is a fantastic piece of software, but requires A LOT of setting up, though if you follow the various docs floating around the net it should not be too hard.

Other possible softwares to use could be vdr from : http://www.cadsoft.de/vdr/

Btw if you want to use the remote, you might want to look into lirc.

Also I use the early aver card and if I type "dmesg" at the command prompt i get this:

Linux video capture interface: v1.00
bttv: driver version 0.9.15 loaded
bttv: using 8 buffers with 2080k (520 pages) each for capture
bttv: Bt8xx card found (0).
ACPI: PCI interrupt 0000:01:0a.0[A] -> GSI 11 (level, low) -> IRQ 11
bttv0: Bt878 (rev 17) at 0000:01:0a.0, irq: 11, latency: 32, mmio: 0xd8000000
bttv0: detected: AverMedia AverTV DVB-T [card=104], PCI subsystem ID is 1461:0761
bttv0: using: Nebula Electronics DigiTV [card=104,autodetected]
bttv0: gpio: en=00000000, out=00000000 in=009f00dd [init]
bttv0: using tuner=-1
bttv0: registered device video0
bttv0: registered device vbi0
bttv0: PLL: 28636363 => 35468950 .. ok
bttv0: add subdevice "dvb0"
bt878: AUDIO driver version 0.0.0 loaded
bt878: Bt878 AUDIO function found (0).
ACPI: PCI interrupt 0000:01:0a.1[A] -> GSI 11 (level, low) -> IRQ 11
bt878(0): Bt878 (rev 17) at 01:0a.1, irq: 11, latency: 32, memory: 0xd8001000
attach: checking "bt878 #0 [sw]"
find by pci: checking "bt878 #0 [sw]"
attach: "bt878 #0 [sw]", to card 0
DVB: registering new adapter (Ave).
DVB: registering frontend 0:0 (Microtune MT7202DTF)...

You should see something similar (not the same!) for your card.

I too have recently gotten an AverTV card (the older 761) under linux. Before you attempt any of the TV packages I suggest you use the DVB utils first. Have a look at linuxtv.org for the utilities, not the drivers. In that package there is two programs you will use: scan and tzap. There is an excellent howto for DVB and MythTV that describes things to do before attempting anything like MythTV, etc. The url is http://www.ethics-gradient.net/myth/mythdvb.html

I have not gotten MythTV working yet. Some problem with permissions with MySQL. So I'm using VDR with the softdevice plugin and it works a treat. I think vdr is the better program as it is designed specificly for DVB (T, S, and C) whereas MythTV can all that and more with analogue TV.

Cheers,

Philip

Thanks for you indications.

I scan and tzap worked (I now have a working channel.conf and a DVB-T frequency file for Torino, Italy if anyone is interested), so I'm now really convinced my kernel setup really worked.

If anyone is interested, I used kernel 2.6.9-rc2 and the appropriate kraxel patch from http://dl.bytesex.org/patches/; this seemed to create a kernel with a working driver for the avertv DVB-T 771 without patching anything else. If somebody doesn't know how to patch (I didn't till a feew days ago!), the readme file in the kernel explain very clearly how to.

I'll try kaxtv as soon as I unlock the cd drives (Mandrake uses supermount which is not supported by the stock kernel and now I get errors when I try to mount a Cd), cause I need to install a library.

Once I manage to actually see and hear TV, I'll start Mythtv (even if I'curious about VDR).

Ciao

Luca