Teac DV-B420 not true 5.1 digital

I was very disapointed to find that the DV-B420 does not output a true 5.1 AC3 dolby digital signal.

I have a Yamaha RX-V496 Digital Amp reveiver and thoes who have Yamaha Amp's know that when a signal is 5.1 the LCD on the Amp displays "DOLBY DIGITAL"

All I get from channel 9 and 10 is a 2.0 ac3 input with my Amp only displaying Dolby Pro Logic <------ crappy simulated mono rear speaker output.

All my DVD's play true 5.1 so it is not a setting on my amp beleive me i know

I'd also like to say shame on channel 7 for not broadcasing digital sound at all on there SD channel.

just wondering if 5.1 sound is broadcast of the HD channels???

Idid not get a HD STB because i dont have a HD tv so i'd thort id save some cash but i dont see why the can't broadcast 5.1 on the SD channels DVD arent HD and they have 5.1

It ain't a technical problem, it's a broadcasters policy problem. If you hunt around on this forum you will find many references to this. The ABC has occasional DD5.1 transmissions with SD, but the rest of the time all the broadcasters just give DD2.0.

Should point out that the HD feeds are also normally DD2.0. The requirement is that HD services must use DD, can be as many channels as they wish, SD must be MPEG with DD and option, again as many channels as they wish.

Cheers

Cyril

Yep, agree with Cyril.

Also, you say "shame on channel 7 for not broadcasing(sic) digital sound at all on there(sic.. can't anyone spell these days?) SD channel".

MPEG digital audio is still digital. Sure, it's dynamic range and amp support isn't quite the same as Dolby Digital, but it is still digital. All SD STBs (it seems from various posts here) decode the MPEG audio to PCM for their digital outputs.

Regards

I have to add that DD2.0 doesn't give a "simulated mono rear"... if the 2.0 MPEG or Dolby Digital source has Dolby Surround encoding (ignore the digital bit, this is matrixed surround in the analogue domain) then the surround channel is real. Sure, it is no where near as good as DD5.1, but with a Pro Logic 2 amp, you can end up with a reasonable result.

Pro Logic 1 still gives mono surround, mono centre, L&R sound, which isn't too bad. Sure, it isn't giving any more audio channels than the analogue FM audio gives, but at least the signal to noise is far better than the dynamic range compressed analogue audio on the normal analogue TV broadcasts.

Regards

• 2 weeks later...

Glad to see some response on this subject.

Audio has always been a big hobby of mine and I expected beter from digital TV than actual reality!!!! With DVD's and Video Game consoles still being the only source of DD 5.1 for the DD5.1 AMP invested money in

Another question is can we expect to see streams of DTS in the future as well.