dvd dual layer burners

Guys think i've given up on getting a dvdr for now - given the cost of them and the lack of connectivity at present plus none of them can do dual layer. Think I going to look at getting a dual layer dvd burner for my pc for now instead. Main reaons I could hook up a HDTV tuner to the pc - record shows to HDD and then easily burn a dvd using the burner for watching on my dvd player. Other bonus is I can transfer my home movies of dv cam onto dvd for archiving.

What dvd burners do people recomend. I know of two theres a pioneer for $160 (noted this in another threadhttp://www.dtvforum.info/index.php?showtopic=10087&st=0entry104710) and someone mentioned a dual layer sony.

Is it a good time to buy these or is dual layer technology too new.

Does anybody know the model no of the pioneer or sony models in question. What are street prices. Can dvds recorded on these burners be played on other home dvd players. Are there any other brand or model dvd burners available.

Do most people use nero 6 to burn hdtv or sdtv onto dvd.

Also I'm hoping one day to media serve off a pvr (new hd toppy- dream on!) located at the tv or media serve off the pc to some device at the TV. but yes probably dreaming on a bit here given current technology and capabilities.

Lite-On 832. I have an 812, but upgraded its firmware to 832, there is a lot of OS tests on the quality of DL burns on this drive. I haven't tried one (a dual layer burn that is) yet because the media is still too pricey here.

This is the best page to goto for all lite-on stuff: http://codeguys.rpc1.org/index.html

TmpEnc DVD Author 1.6 supports dual layer, I show how to turn recordings into DVDs on my website using this proggy (very easy to use!)

Regards

You would be hard pressed to find a DVD burner now that didn't do dual-layer.

The Pioneer is a good option and does dual-layer at 4x. You need to make sure that the burner supports "book type setting" This ensures the DVD+R DL disc shows up to a regular DVD player as a DVD-ROM disc, the pioneer does this by default.

Compatibility with newer DVD players from the last couple of years should be very good.

PS. you can put HD video on a DVD and have it play back in a DVD player, only on a PC.

Danny.

It's a good time to buy as dual layer burners have hit 16x speed which is supposed to be the maximum rate the discs can spin at without exploding, so there probably won't be much further improvements, just prices drops, and seeing as you can buy the Pioneer for $140- it's not much of a spend.

I've always had Liteon CD burners as they've rated top of the tests, but lately I've been reading that Liteon haven't been as stellar in their DVD burners. For this reason I bought an NEC 2510 (8x) for my Mac and a Pioneer A108 (16x) for my PC.

To be honest I don't reckon you can tell any difference between any of them in terms of burn quality. They either do the job or they don't.

It's a good time to buy as dual layer burners have hit 16x speed which is supposed to be the maximum rate the discs can spin at without exploding, so there probably won't be much further improvements, just prices drops, and seeing as you can buy the Pioneer for $140- it's not much of a spend.

Yes, we have 16x burners now which is the maximum speed as you say, however, +DL drives are still only at 2.4x ot 4x, development of 8x +DL drives is already in progress and will ramp up to 16x eventually. Also, RW discs are still at 4x speed, again we have yet to see increases there, +RW 8x has just been approved. -R DL also has not been released yet.

There is still plenty of development left in DVD writers, but none of it would put me off buying a drive now they are so cheap, you can always upgarde next year and you will no doubt get all of the above at half price.

Danny.

Buying a high speed burner is fine. But finding (quality) media that will burn at the high speed is another thing. I havn't seen any 16x media yet, there is barely any quality 8x media out.

No reason why you shouldn't future proof your burner though.

I use TDK 8x -R's for $33 for 25. You can have +R's for the same price. Not cheap by no-name standards, but only a little over a $1 a disc for kown high quality.

Danny.

I resently went through the process of researching the best DL DVD burner and came to the conclusion of either the NEC or the PIONEER.

Whirlpool has a huge thread on DVD burners and media that may be helpful. Ended up getting the PIONEER external DVR-S806, mainly because I had a faultess PIONEER before.

Purchased 8x DVD-R Ritek's and have not faulted them yet (100 @ $28 for 25), the Pioneer burns a full DVD-R in just under 7 Minutes (writes at 6x, 8x and 12x on Ritek's 8x media). Ritek appears to be getting a very good name for itself - previously I always used TDK (never faulted these either).

From what I've read, the latest Pioneer seams to be the best. I have an early model which has not missed a beat so far.

Been a few not so good reports about the Lite-On drives lately, and as it turns out, the lastest Sony's seam to be those drives too now.

Of course with the dual-layer media costing around $12, they are just not worth it at the moment.

For all the goss, check out: www.videohelp.com

Apologies for hijacking this thread, but it is rather topical...

I'm thinking of getting a dual layer DVD burner tomorrow (so I can burn some Toppy files), but checking some out at HN today I noticed they had minimum specs of up to PIII 800. I have a PIII 866 (which serves me fine otherwise at the moment), and I want to make sure the burner will work ok on my machine. I'm don't care if it's a little slow, I just don't want a DVD burner that I can't use because of any technical limitations of my old machine (eg buffer under-run, etc).

Any advice would be appreciated.

Cheers,

Bruiser

Your PC should work fine provided you are not in a hurry and don't do other things while the burning process is underway. The minimum specs quoted by manufacturers are usually more to do with marketing than reality.

Plenty of free hard drive space is more critical than a few Mhz on the CPU.

Buffer underrun is a function of not enough memory on the burner itself and the burner not being able to handle the flow of information. All burners have plenty of buffer space these days.

I'm don't care if it's a little slow, I just don't want a DVD burner that I can't use because of any technical limitations of my old machine (eg buffer under-run, etc).

You won't be able to take full advantage of high speed burning - Pioneer states on their website that you won't get 16x burning from anything under about a 2.4 GHz machine - worth knowing - should be fine for slower burns.

Hi Guys, I have a external Sony DL burner, I didn't think the DL disks where available yet. I use DVD Shrink to burn DVD using DVDs I brought from eBay, I am not getting very good results. A lot of the backup's I have made will not work properly in my DVD player, they stop all the time and sometimes will not even play. I have dropped the speed to the lowest setting but hasn't made any difference.

Reading this I am hoping it may just be the DVDs I have?

Anyone else had this trouble?

Hi Guys, I have a external Sony DL burner, I didn't think the DL disks where available yet.  I use DVD Shrink to burn DVD using DVDs I brought from eBay, I am not getting very good results.  A lot of the backup's I have made will not work properly in my DVD player, they stop all the time and sometimes will not even play. I have dropped the speed to the lowest setting but hasn't made any difference.

Reading this I am hoping it may just be the DVDs I have?

Anyone else had this trouble?

I have the OEM Pioneer 108 DL burner, and have backed up 4 DVD's to DL Verbatim discs with no problems, try another brand of DVD recordables. :blink:

I have the OEM Pioneer 108 DL burner, and have backed up 4 DVD's to DL Verbatim discs with no problems, try another brand of DVD recordables. :P

Funny how ppl ask questions on this forum and sometime people provide totally irrelevant answers. :blink:

JasonBB: Heres a few hints.

Try updating the firmware on your sony to the latest "VY06"

Try switching to different media - Refer to the preffered media list on the www.storagebysony.com website.

Please note there is little relationship between the price/quality of a DVD player and its ability to read DVDR media. A $99 Chinese job would probably play all your disks perfectly.