RGB "flavours"

First let me preface this post by saying I've searched the forum and found a lot of useful and interesting info. I think I know the answer to my question But I'd like to be sure.

The topfield outputs RGB via scart with a seperate sync via the composite. If I have a device that accepts RGsB (ie sync on green) then my understanding is that they are not compatable. Is this correct?

[Edit sp]

I think that is wrong.    SCART-RGB and RGsB (meaning synch on green) are not the same.   I don't believe STBs send synch on any colour, it is the extra composite video line in the cable that is assumed to carry the synch.

Regards

So there's no converter available? Looks like I'll have to convert it to compenent if I want something other than S-video. Oh well.

Have you tried it to see? I would love for someone to be able to tell me that you can just connect the 3 RGB lines (cables and/or adapters easily available, look for the "scart component" adapter) into a RGsB display!!

The "scart component" adapter just takes the R,G,B pairs to RCA sockets, so is the perfect solution if in fact the synch pulses for V,H remain on the colour signals from a SCART-RGB device.

Regards

Have you tried it to see?  I would love for someone to be able to tell me that you can just connect the 3 RGB lines (cables and/or adapters easily available, look for the "scart component" adapter) into a RGsB display!!

I haven't tried it yet, I have to get the scart adapter first. Looks like another trip to either tricky dicky's or jaycar. I'll let you know how it goes.

The "scart component" adapter just takes the R,G,B pairs to RCA sockets, so is the perfect solution if in fact the synch pulses for V,H remain on the colour signals from a SCART-RGB device.

That would make me very happy. Then all I have to do is work out how to switch between two inputs - one from the toppy, the other from a DVD player (no scart :blink: ) which only outputs s-vid or component. I read somewhere that someone (may have been fossil, may not have been ) was using an el cheapo composite audio/video swicther to switch component (my amp doesn't do component :P ). Maybe this will work, though ideally I'd like one I saw linked here that has a remote unit. So many toys, so little money.

cheers

Now I know the Toppy is not the Strong, so this may not be relevant, but I can tell you for sure the Strong does not use sync on green.  :blink:

(So I'd guess the Toppy doesn't either.)

You'd be right.

"Not Supported" is the message displayed. Rassn frassn.

To top it off (no pun intended) the s-vid cable sh*t itself last night so now I can watch nothing. Ah well, it's a beautiful day outside.....

Adding a pure composite sync signal onto Green (to convert RGB+C to RGB+SOG) is a fairly trivial exercise in terms of circuit building. I am sure Google would produce a few answers. However, I am not sure whether the SCART output of the TF5k supplies sync only signal on the sync pin. A number of posts from TonyH suggest that the sync is actually the entire composite signal. Attenpting to convert the composite video into a sync suitable for SOG is non trivial.

All in all, RGB+SOG is not really an option, you need an RGB+C input.

Adding a pure composite sync signal onto Green (to convert RGB+C to RGB+SOG) is a fairly trivial exercise in terms of circuit building. I am sure Google would produce a few answers. However, I am not sure whether the SCART output of the TF5k supplies sync only signal on the sync pin. A number of posts from TonyH suggest that the sync is actually the entire composite signal. Attenpting to convert the composite video into a sync suitable for SOG is non trivial.

All in all, RGB+SOG is not really an option, you need an RGB+C input.

Just on that subject, I think it VERY likely that the sync is the whole signal for "simplicity" purposes (on both this and the Strong). :blink: