Any STB record to Network Drive?

BenH

Hi

Is there anything out there that functions similarly to a PVR, but instead of containing it's own hard drive, it has the ability to record to a network share via ethernet?

This box would also have to have the ability to play files off the network share.

I think if it hasn't been done, this would be a good idea. The box should be cheaper than a normal PVR because it doesn't contain a hard drive, the hard drive wouldn't need to be quiet or cool and it could utilise unused space people have on their computers.

I realise that not everyone has a home network and so manufacturers wouldn't be in a rush as it probably wouldn't be a big selling point for a lot of people, but if I had the choice of a $200 sd stb or a $300 stb that could record over a network, I would pay the extra. Maybe I'm underestimating the additional costs.

Any thoughts?

ben

Hi

Is there anything out there that functions similarly to a PVR, but instead of containing it's own hard drive, it has the ability to record to a network share via ethernet?

You can do this now, but not with an STB, but by using a DVB receiver on PCI cards.

I've used Nebula (via a web interface remote from one PC) controlling a Nebula card in another PC, to record to a shared drive on a third PC. This shared drive was also mapped as a source media drive for the server software for Hauppauge MediaMVP. As soon as the recording was started, I could then call up the file and playback on the MediaMVP*. Of course you do not have to watch it straight away.

* The mediaMVP has successfully played unconverted (ie non DVD compliant) Nebula recordings of Channels Seven and SBS. Other TV Network recordings needed conversion (pvaStrumento or similar). Other networked media players may or may not playback uncompliant files. Future Nebula software is slated to record DVD compliant files, some DVB cards will record DVD compliant files, your mileage may vary.

Hope this helps.

Cheers

JB

Thanks for the feedback guys.

HaZ, do you have a link to the Dreambox? It sounds like what I'm talking about.

JB, You are right, the set up you describe would do all I ask and more. It would be OK for me, but I want a device that, once set up on the network is fairly foolproof for anyone who could use a normal PVR. Multiple devices and file conversions may be too complex, but I do like how you've been able to create something for yourself that is not available in a simple package.

Ben