PVR & Foxtel Digital

Are there PVR's that can be used with foxtel digital, to change channels etc. I know the TiVo's can with some adjustments.

I just want something that can change channels using my Foxtel digitel Sat STU and be able to record and Time-shift etc.

Sorry if this has been asked before but I could find it.

Hey for what it is worth I own a Topfield PVR-9000T (for FTA) and a TiVo that I use on my Foxtel Digital and let me tell you that the TiVo is better by a long shot - and they are cheaper!

Don't get me wrong - the toppy is a *great* product and I really like it, but the TiVo is just awesome!

The only feature the Toppy has over the TiVo is the 2 tuners - but with Foxtel (being encrypted anyway) there is no real use for a second tuner.

Thanks for that. I thought the TiVo machines looked pretty good.

I was going to wait to see how much the Foxtel PVR will cost next year but I think the TiVo will still be a cheaper option.

I believe that Tivo beats all other options hands down for the following reasons:

1. Ease of use. Without a doubt the easiest to use with a very intuitive interface.

2. Cost. Compare around $600 for a 200 MB networked Tivo with over $1000 for a 120 MB Toppy. Or compare to the upcoming Foxtel PVR which will require ongoing payments of say $40 per month on a 12 or 24 month contract plus the up-front 'installation' fee of say $200 or $300.

3. Usefullness. Tivo will record Foxtel Digital. The Toppy obviously cannot. Even though the Tivo records in analogue, it will output up to 720x526. With high quality S-Video cables, the image quality is excellent. After a few days the Tivo will learn to find and record your favourite content with no prompting from you.

There are more reasons why Tivo would be the better choice but these can also be negatives....ie you can do more with a Tivo...but it requires installation and setting up yourself. It does not work out of the box and could take anywhere from a few hours to a few eons to get working depending upon your tech knowhow.

As something that will work out of the box, you may want to look at the D1 media centre. It's basically a computer and will record foxtel. They also load up the program guide for foxtel, as well as a week's worth of free to air digital.

This way, you can choose to set it to record every episode of the simpsons, whenever it occurs on pay or digital free to air.

The box changes channels on your fox box, and learns the remote codes too.

As something that will work out of the box, you may want to look at the D1 media centre. It's basically a computer and will record foxtel. They also load up the program guide for foxtel, as well as a week's worth of free to air digital.

This way, you can choose to set it to record every episode of the simpsons, whenever it occurs on pay or digital free to air.

The box changes channels on your fox box, and learns the remote codes too.

The D1 "Digital" (?) 250 MB costs $2099. Around 3 times the price of a similar capacity Tivo. You pay around $1,500 more for the D1 that works out of the box. I haven't seen the D1 but I'm sure it's not as easy to use as the Tivo.

I'm not exactly sure what the difference is between the Digital & Analogue D1 apart from the $100 price difference.

So where can you buy the Tivo?

www.eksys.com

or

ebay

You would want to get:

* a Series 1 Standalone Tivo - around AUD$130

* a TurboNet ethernet or CacheCard (allows extra 512 MB of memory where the EPG is stored to speed things up) for broadband EPG updates and ability to extract - $100 or $140

* depending if you want 2 drives for super-high capacity, a 2nd drive bracket

* a serial cable

freight around $100

Also

* whatever IDE drive/s you want, Seagate Barracuda or Quantum QuickView probably best to get these locally

* 512 MB DIMM if you choose the CacheCard over TurboNet

* OzTivo Image and other setup software & howto's from OzTivo

* depending on your skills, a few hours or months to set up

But be aware that if you are not happy pulling bits and pieces in and out of your PC and you think that a Command Prompt is something George Bush uses then it's probably not for you.