Convert HD to SD?

You would basically need to demux, decode, resample and encode the video stream, possibly decode, resample and encode the AC3 audio stream to PCM and then remux the lot (keeping lip sync)... It might be possible but hardly worth the effort ~ Then again it might just never work

You can of course just copy the recording directly onto a DVD as a data file though <wink> and then replay it from the computer any time.

Yeah - I could play it back, but the idea was to record it in the normal way and try and make a compolation DVD with all 6 installments of the second series.

Now i am stuck with a 3.4 GB file that seems to not want to even play back with Zoomplayer, which could play back my HD recordings of the Olympic ceremonies.

Whilst the Fusion is vastly superior to the Vision Plus junk I once had, I do find it a bit buggy when selecting channels, as it sometimes jumps to an adjacent channel.

Oh well, here we go again..

Does anyone have a good SD recording of "People Like Us-The Pilot" to burn on DVD for me?

Naturally I can cover costs or do a swap with something that I have that somone may want.

Pleez :blink:

I recorded People Like Us-The Pilot on my Fusion card and 5 minutes after the program started I noticed that in my rush to start up Fusion and change channels to ABC, I had selcted the HD channel by mistake.

Now I want to transfer this to DVD, as I now have a burner. Is there any way to convert from HD to SD?   :blink:

Well there are, but can be time consuming.

If you have Adobe After Effects you can try loading the HD file into an SD composition. The recorded file may need to be converted to a compatible file to be openable in AE. Other HD capable editing programmes (Vegas 5 or Premiere Pro) will probably be able to convert.

Another suggestion, a bit outrageous and illogical possibly is to check out amazon.co.uk for DVDs of the series. The 1999 series is there for £11.97 (about $30)

Just think you get the box, the label, DVD quality, maybe special features and it's quite legal too !

Cheers

JB

Another suggestion, a bit outrageous and illogical possibly is to check out amazon.co.uk for DVDs of the series. The 1999 series is there for £11.97 (about $30)
I bought this ages and ages ago, and was more than willing to get Series 2 - the last of which was "The Pilot". So it is not outrageous or illogical for me :blink:

But for some strange reason, the BBC withdrew the DVD release. So I am not going to wait 5-8 years untill they get up their backsides to reschedule the DVD.

Widescream,

I've been doing a bit of this lately (on purpose). I use ProjectX to demux, Cuttermaran to remove ads etc. Then, if required, I change the audio to mp2 using BeSweet (from doom9.org). Then I pump this through TMPGEnc 3.0 XPress to re-encode in DVD format (ie SD). Then TMPGEnc DVD Author to create the DVD menues etc and Nero to burn.

Long winded i know, but it does come out really good (no issues now i've sorted out my process). For 40 mins of HD it takes about 2.5 hours to re-encode on my Athlon XP2600.

Note: Not all programs are freeware (eg TMPGEnc programs aren't). Fusion converter may work for you but I've never tried.

Brett

Note: Not all programs are freeware (eg TMPGEnc programs aren't). Fusion converter may work for you but I've never tried.

Brett

Well the stock TMPGEnc is free but its useless for DVB since it doesnt encode MPEG2.

From what I remember, the free utilities VirtualDub and/or FLASKMpeg can convert into SD MPEG2 but they may result in alot of fiddling around looking for the required plug-ins for MPEG2 and AC3. Some new encoder utliities have cropped up but I havent had time to try them. http://www.doom9.net

Whilst the Fusion is vastly superior to the Vision Plus junk I once had, I do find it a bit buggy when selecting channels, as it sometimes jumps to an adjacent channel.

I keep FusionHDTV in silent mode, and my Favorites button (with 3 Stars) ALWAYS jumps to the adjacent channel. It actually selects the right channel, it just shows the bullet in the wrong spot. Further, the channel name usually stays blank, but selecting the same channel a second time shows that the channel is locked in. (Favorites bullet is still off though.)