my spec is as follows

shuttle sn85g4

athlon xp3000+

1gb ddr400 cas 2.5

2 x hitachi 7k250 400gb hdd's in 1x800gb raid 0 array

128mb geforce 4 ti4200

nec 2500a dvd rw

aver dvb-t

im using the latest drivers and software (very kindly provided by this site thankyou!)

im also using the dreaded winxp sp2 and girder for control of the card via ati remote wonder 1

i seem to have a startup problem with the card. i double click or press the appropriate button on the remote and it starts tranparent.exe and avertv.exe does 3 passes of the jigsaw then does nothing except hog cpu at 99%. i have to end the task and then restart it.... sometimes it will start straight away after this other times it will take 7 or 8 attempts. any one else experienced this? if so how did you fix it?

i also have a problem with the picture and sound stuttering when the hdd is accessed. if i am downloading anything it causes a problem with the tv breaking up every 5 seconds or when the hdd is accessed. i have a 48 element aerial a booster and reasonable cables, i also have a signal at about 65% any suggestions?

thanks in advance!

Steve

Guest Gizmomelb

hi Steve,

going through the simple answer, so no offence meant.

HDD access causing stuttering - double check DMA is enabled in both the Device Manager/IDE ATAPI controllor and in the registry:

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E96A-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}\0000]

"EnableUDMA66"=dword:00000001

Next, check that the Avermedia card isn't sharing an IRQ or DMA with any other devices (Control Panel/ Device Manager). If it is, try to re-allocate device IRQs so the Aver is the only device on the set of IRQs it selects. Even better, the Aver needs to be on a bus-mastering PCI slot - since this is a Shuttle, it prolly doesn't have multiple PCI slots and the 1 slot it does have may not be a bus-mastering slot (you'd need to check your motherboard details).

For the startup-lockup - try setting the LOCK TIME to a larger value (default is 1000ms). Look in the Avermedia Control Panel, Setup, DVB-T, Advanced options.

I've been running the Avermedia A771 hardware with the 1.3.59.1 software, Windows XP with Service Pack 2 and DirectX 9.0c (totally clean and formatted system just yesterday) for the past day with no startup or scheduling errors as yet (set up a schedule for 5 different programs last night, all fired off with no errors).

I'll post my findings of errors I have found / verified with other users in the main 1.3.59.1 software thread.

Cheers,

Gizmomelb

You might also try altering the PCI Latency timer values to around 16/32... VGA Video cards are usually quite bad [read: high values which are not controlled by the normal BIOS Latency selection] but I have noticed that some brands of MB and/or RAID controllers set really high values for IDE interfaces too. They do this to make sure benchmark tests get good results, but at the cost of hindering multitasking on the PCI bus. With normal use, a value of 32 is fine, and will produce performances close to maximum anyway.

There are quite a few programs around which alter PCI Lantecy for individual devices within Windows (PowerStrip?) and SiSoft Sandra will 'report back' what values are being used as well if you just want to look.

Your start-up problem (100% CPU) is the same as the one I was describing in another recent post too, and I think it's related to signal-strength, although others don't think so... I try not to blame signal strength, but when things are playing up with the DVB-T card I usually switch on my STB to find it is stuttering as well.

Jason.

no offence will ever be taken when people are trying thier best to help me!

thanks for the replys.

right the lock time has cured startup problem thanks. i thought the lock time was just to adjust the time it took to lock on a scan due to where it is kept in the control panel! doh!

i forgot to mention im using the onbard SATA (ouch you all say!) raid controller.

both have pci latency set to 32 and i dont seem to have any option to change it in the bios. i do have an option for special pci io or something where i have to specify the address in hex and an io time. does this mean anything to anyone?

the graphics card latency is up at 248 which seems incrediby high.

has anyone got any other suggestions? by the way the latest version of the software is a vast improvement over the previous version i was using (the one on the uk website) with regard to stuttering.

thanks again for you help guys i only have a few more problems to go so hopefully we can crack them too!

steve

Guest Gizmomelb

hiya 5teve,

yeah, you could try PowerStrip and reduce the PCI latency of the video card - I had a similar problem ages ago with a game (Battlefield 1942) where the sound would stutter really badly. Turned out the AGP videocard was hogging the system bus, so I used PowerStrip to change the VGA down from (I think a similar value) down to about 192 or something and allocated a little bit more back to the IDE and AC97 sound devices. Has run smoothly ever since.

Gizmomelb

Hi,

My PC specs are:

Athlon 64 3500+

Radeon 9600XT Video card

2 x 120Gb SATA drives (Raid 0 on promise controller)

2 x 512 MB pc3200 Ram

4 x dual DVD burner

Avermedia Dvb-t 771

Windows XP SP2

Signal Streangth ~62%

CPU ~50% while aver running

System is brand new, and only the standard drivers and minimal other software installed.

I am running the official 1.3.59.1 avermedia software.

Avermedia issues:

I have gotten bsod errors several times during different occasions, including once while just watching a program and not touching anything.

My main issue is that the video breaks up or pauses for a second or two when the pc performs some other task in the background. I can reproduce this if I move the aver control panel around, or any other window. Interestingly the CPU never gets over 70%

I noticed that my avermedia card is reporting that it is using IRQ 18, same as the promise raid controller.

How do I change this?

Is there any other 3rd party software I can use with this card on windows?

Also the bit of the software that is supposed to show the schedule for the channel only shows the current and next show - I thought that I should be able to get at least a day in advance?

Any help appreciated.

Cheers,

Greg.

Guest Gizmomelb
Avermedia issues:

I have gotten bsod errors several times during different occasions, including once while just watching a program and not touching anything.

My main issue is that the video breaks up or pauses for a second or two when the pc performs some other task in the background. I can reproduce this if I move the aver control panel around, or any other window. Interestingly the CPU never gets over 70%

I noticed that my avermedia card is reporting that it is using IRQ 18, same as the promise raid controller.

How do I change this?

70% CPU usage for such a fast CPU and a DXVA compliant video card is horrendous!! Have you installed the specific motherboard AGP and IDE drivers for your system? I only get about 10-20% CPU usage (from memory) on my AMD XP 1400+ system when runnng the Aver in SD!!

If you're using the PC solely as a HTPC/ digital TV - then I'd recommend enabling APIC in your motherboard BIOS, disable PLUG AND PLAY and disable ACPI in your BIOS. Do a re-install of the OS and install it as a 'STANDARD COMPUTER' (press F5 on first blue screen when installing. this will disable ACPI in your OS as well as in the hardware). Then every component in your computer should be assigned a unique IRQ.

Then you need to optimise Windows when you install it - don't install any virus checkers etc. if this is solely for HTPC and is NOT on the internet.. if it is then you need a virus/trojan/popup blocker/checker (which can cause problems when you watch digital TV as the TV card writes lots of little temporary packets to your harddrive, and then virus checker checks each file for viruses, slowing the system down etc.). Disable background services which are unneeded and you can get Windows 2000/XP running with only 15-20 services in total, so you have maximum speed. Also see any of the numerous Windows tweaking guides on the net, or at

http://www.tweaktown.com/articles.php?dCat...h=&sortYear=all

I'd say the breakups are because of the shared IRQ when transferring data.. move the Avermedia PCI card to another slot (preferably a bus mastering PCI slot - reasons why have been covered many, many times in the past and are applicable to all DVB-T PCI cards IMHO).

Otherwise you could try playing with PCI latency using PowerStrip and give the Avermedia card a little more headroom to play with.

Is there any other 3rd party software I can use with this card on windows?

none available currently.

Also the bit of the software that is supposed to show the schedule for the channel only shows the current and next show - I thought that I should be able to get at least a day in advance?

Not broadcast in Australia. All of the networks only broadcast now and next information for their 'epg' until Murdoch and Packer can figure out a way to make $$ out of it.

Hello Greg,

Does a BSOD occur when you kill the Aver application from within the task-manager? (With and without the Quick software running in the system-tray?) This has apparently been fixed, but I'm starting to think there is something about 'our' computers which is stopping the 'fix' from working?

I'm on a P4 platform, but the rest of my hardware is almost the same as yours (video card, memory, raid etc.) and it would be good to get your feedback.

Thanks,

Jason.

ps. I'm guessing you meant 70% CPU max. when using other bits of software as well as the Aver app.

hi all

well i have been messing around with everything and i cant get anywhere! i have tried upping the latency and reducing and trying all combinations of it also.

the only thing i can think of other than that is that as the sata and aver acrds are sitting pretty high in the irq's are they using virtual irq's? the ti4200 is at 16 the aver at 17 and the silicon image at 18 plus the usb (adsl modem resides on this) is at 20! any thoughts?

if not i think i will try and sell this to somone who doesnt use sata and has more than 1 pci slot! i think the new nebula micro usb looks pretty promising, then of course i have the same problem that using adsl will probably kill the usb bus! oh well. anyone had any experience of the nebula usb's? anyone want to sell one cheap? :blink:

i am gonna try a full system format but its such a lot of hassle as i need a floppy drive and the system doesnt have space for one! grrr rip it to peices again!

thanks

steve

I'm amazed by the lack of response in one direction or the other, in regards to BSODs and the Aver software... But that's the last I'm writing about it.

Back to the issue at hand: Steve, have you tried a latency of 0 for the SATA and IDE interfaces... My laptop (an old SiS630S chipset) has it hard-set to 0, which basically gives every other device a higher priority on the PCI bus - it also makes the drive perform at about 75% performance. Not desirable I know, but it will tell you if the PCI devices are in fact conflicting.

I also can't stress enough, the benefits of having HyperThreading with your CPU (I know this is useless information to you, sorry.) The reason HT is so good? If one windows app 'runs at 100%' it only shows up as 50% in task-manager - leaving plenty of CPU cycles for all the other 'behaving' applications - this means no application is starved of CPU when things go wrong. Time critical apps work better.

Having just written that: it might be worth trying task-manager to increase the priority to "Above Normal" or "High" ("Real Time" is OK too, but I'd only try with a HT machine for the reasons I wrote above.) A final note on this: only change the priority after the Aver app has settled down and is 'playing' properly.

Jason.

thanks for that i will try a latency of 0 just need to be careful of data corruption.

HT is useless to me :blink: but i just noticed i put athlon xp.... its actually an athlon 64 3000+ so its not like its not got much grunt. the aver application when running uses at most 18% cpu so its not exactly taxing it.

i beginning to wonder if its just a case of slightly dodgy signal and the card doesnt like the system. the signal is between 63-68% when i have messed with the latencies it doesnt seem to of affected anything. even reducing the latency of the aver card didnt make it any worse. oh well a system format may sort it out as i have that many codecs and bits n bobs installed.

i'll keep you posted!

Thanks

Steve

I tried the "Real Time" setting within taskmanager, and it didn't skip a frame when I quickly moved another window with the mouse (around the screen quickly, dragging it.) With the priority of Averdvbt.exe set to low, it looked like it sometimes missed a frame or two when I did this.

Jason.

well after a full system rebuild i dont think it will play at all. i still have the stuttering when the HDD is accessed so i guess its just both of them hogging the pci bus and the sata winning! changing the latencies did nothing at all. the problem still remained. by the way using powerstrip it does set the latencies on the fly doesnt it?

i think i may well sell this on ebay, and have a word with the guys that make the nebula usb to see what the chances of clogging the usb2 up is and that conflicting with the SATA too. bearing in mind the problems are when im downloading stuff and the hdd has continuous small writes being performed. so i dont want the adsl modem to affect the tv either!

Thanks

Steve

Steve,

PowerStrip: Yes, it changes the latency on the fly.

You could also try removing the harddisks from the machine (resting 'em on a safe surface) and try using the harddisk/avercard then... I'm thinking that's it's probably not anything to do with bus contention, and this may at least show that - and give you more confidence in a USB device which can be placed well away from the other components. I, for one, am interested in the result.

Jason.

Guest harrykay

hello there! I need some serious help here!

I have a PC with Windows XP Professional and with SP2 on it. Yesterday I bought this Avermedia DVB-T A 771 card. After installing it on the 3rd PCI slot after AGP i swistched the PC on and started loading Windows and unfortunately a got a blue screen and a autimatic restart. I tried over and over again but the same happened. I tried to install the card to a different PCI slot but no luck. So i uninstalled the card completely and switched on the PC and it finally worked as it used... I installed on more time and the blue screen came up one more time! As you see I need serious help here! Can you please help me? I am despirate...

Thank you.